IMDb > Oliver & Company (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Oliver & Company

Oliver & Company More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

I absolutely love this movie!

Author: (thereseuphemiaabernathy) from United States
14 May 2002

Oliver and Company is probably the least appreciated Disney movie ever, and yet it is excellent. I have loved it since I was very very young. I had a giant poster from its original release, and I would sing along to "Why Should I Worry?" and "Streets of Gold" while jumping around on top of couches, pretending I was Dodger and Rita. That's how "into" the movie I was. And I wasn't alone. My friends memorized the soundtrack, too, and we would persistently sing the songs in school. I guess there is just something very appealing about dogs getting around the city by jumping around on top of cars! And when we ran the sprinklers, I would wash my feet in them like Dodger-singing, of course. Oliver and Company is really, really good. It has superb voice talent and animation. Yeah, Tito's ear tear does switch from left to right at one point, but I would NEVER have noticed that...anyway, the story is not weak at all. It is unusual, granted, but then it's a weird twist on Oliver Twist. Most people love this movie. A few have bashed it for petty little reasons. Overall, there's nothing not to like. The music is outstanding. The character design is great. My favorites are Rita and Georgette. They're both very different but they're both very pretty. And they can sing, too. If you look at the backgrounds, at one point you can see dogs from other movies. During "Why Should I Worry?" there are Peg (she found a home!), Jock, and Trusty from Lady and the Tramp, and dalmatian who resembles Pongo. There are a lot of cute dogs in this movie who only appear for a second..like the two in the convertible during the WSIW reprise that Dodger and Tito gawk at until Rita pulls Dodge away. Sykes is one of the baddest bad guy ever-- He's got a scary car and scary dogs. This movie is funny, the chase scene exciting. Recommended.

I love this movie!!!

Author: NicoleFawkes from Breda, The Netherlands
1 September 2005

OK, I've seen this movie for the first time when I was 6 years old... This movie was actually made in 1988, the year I was born I haven't seen it in 11 years, and now I'm 17 I love this movie even more then I did before!

The songs are lovely, and the story is really heartwarming!! The dutch version of this movie is just as funny as the English is! My favorite character is Dodger, because he's the "cool street dog" and Oliver is just cute!!

I know I'm a real Disney freak and this movie really belongs to one of my favorites!!!

A truly touching and hilarious adaptation of Oliver Twist

Author: Mariam from Cambridge, England
13 July 2003

We've seen a musical version of Oliver, even an animated series, but an animated musical with a cast of dogs and kitten called Oliver set in New York, you'd think it would be a disaster. But, thanks to Disney magic, this film is a classic filled with songs that are never forgotten as well as that wonderful combination of comedy and family drama.

When a homeless kitten comes across a street-wise dog with a gift for song and stealing hot dogs, little Oliver finds himself the member of an exclusive gang of thieving dogs. But before he even executes his first crime, he is discovered by a lonely little girl in need of a friend. Chaos soon ensues as Jenny and Oliver get caught up in a kidnapping by the classic evil villain.

It's a fun filled romp to be enjoyed by one and all over and over again.

I Love this movie

Author: wolfsister179 from United Kingdom
16 April 2006

I think this is one of the greatest Disney films ever, yet it does not get much credit. I mean films like, Toy Story, Cinderella, etc, can be seen often on TV. But I've never seen Oliver and Company on TV, have you? I am 13 and originally viewed it at 6. I loved it then and love it more now! I must have watched it about 100,000,000 times!!!! And I got the soundtrack and am playing now as we speak. My fave character is Dodger, the streetwise, quick talking mutt. I used to jump about on my sofa pretending to be him jumping form car to car. Hey? What's cooler than a dog getting around by standing on a car? I always sing-a-long and I am always being told to be quiet as I am singing sooooo loud my parents can't hear the TV!!!! The songs are all stuck in my head with super-strong superglue! I especially like Why Should I worry and Streets of Gold. Dodger and Rita are so cool. I really love this movie and recommend it!!!!!!!

A childhood classic

Author: Lynn from Jacksonville, FL
9 July 2004

I just read the previous comment about this being a bad movie and that kind of indirectly hurt my feelings. It's just a nice little movie Disney made for pure entertainment and yes, it is directed toward children. It wasn't intended to be catered toward an adult audience. I also can't see how people can criticize such a nice little movie by picking on the animation and Disney's "incapabilities." Disney is awesome and can do whatever they want in a feature. Maybe they wanted to portray it the way they did. Besides, the focus of the movie is the story. And based on that, it's a touching tale. This will always be one of my favorite childhood movies and no criticism from other drippy movie reviewers will ever make me see it any differently.

Charming,Funny,Musical, and Thrilling

Author: Badonkadonkhr (Badonkadonkhr@aol.com) from Tennessee
7 June 2006

Inspired by the timeless Charles Dickens novel , "Oliver Twist" , Oliver & Company is the thrilling animated classic full of action , friendship , courage , and heart that starts when Oliver , the orphaned kitten , is befriended by Dodger , the cool dog from a New York pack of pickpocket pooches. Soon , Oliver is lovingly adopted by Jenny , a lonely little rich girl , until tough-guy Sykes and his Doberman sidekicks , Desoto and Roscoe , try to keep Jenny and Oliver apart. Now it's up to Oliver, Dodger , and all his colorful , street-smart canine pals to outwit the villains and rescue the girl in an electrifying chase that will leave you breathless!Filled with laughter , loyalty , and great music by Billy Joel , Huey Lewis , and Bette Midler. Oliver and Company is family fun you'll love watching over and over again!

OLIVER AND COMPANY (George Scribner, 1988) ***

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
2 January 2007

Curiously endearing Disney animated feature inspired by "Oliver Twist", transposing the Dickensian favorite fairly successfully to a modern-day New York setting - with the villainous Bill Sykes as a mobster (flanked by a couple of vicious mastiffs). Stylistically, it lies somewhere between LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955) and the adult-oriented films of Ralph Bakshi (without the sex and violence, naturally); as such, it stands oddly alongside the studio's usual fare from this rather lame era - and its vitality can now be seen to have foreshadowed the renaissance in quality (and critical appraisal) which they witnessed soon after, beginning with THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989). The anthropomorphic characters (which generally swamp the humans - Fagin is very much a good guy here, if still pitiful) are quite nicely fitted to class stereotypes: hence, we get a Hispanic chihauha (with an eye for the ladies) and a posh bulldog, among others, while Dodger is basically an updated version of Tramp and Oliver himself a cute but very brave kitten. The familiar and involved plot is all but jettisoned (especially in its second half) in favor of boisterous action and character comedy, with a bouncy score and rapid pace to match. In the end, it proved surprisingly good - and, at just 74 minutes, short enough not to overstay its welcome.

Very touching Disney classic about a special friendship for all ages that will warm your heart

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
20 July 2006

OLIVER & COMPANY, in my opinion, is a very touching Disney classic about a special friendship for all ages that will warm your heart. I really loved the things that Oliver (voice of Joey Lawrence) and Jenny (voice of Natalie Gregory) did together. If I were Jenny, I'd care for Oliver myself. I would even do the same kinds of things that they did together. I inititally wanted to cry when nobody wanted him. The music was good, everyone was cast perfectly, and the direction was flawless. My favorite song was "Why Should I Worry?" In conclusion, I highly recommend this very touching movie about a special friendship for all ages to anyone who hasn't seen it. You're in for a real treat and a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with someone close to you, and watch it. I guarantee you you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

A fun "twist" on the classic Oliver story

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
8 November 2006

I know it sounds weird because this movie was made when I was a child, you'd think I would've seen it at an earlier age. But I never did and my friend had the movie, I was curious and wondering why I never had the chance to see it. But I'm glad that I just got to see this movie, it was so much fun and I just missed the old time animation. It had great music by the awesome Billy Joel and the animals were just so adorable.

Basically, Oliver is an orphan kitten the big city of New York and meets a smooth street smart dog, Dodger. When Oliver follows Dodger to his layer of other dogs who are led by a homeless man, Fagin, they decide to keep Oliver. But when Oliver is learning the street smarts, a little girl sees him and takes him home where he gets a nice loving place to stay, not to mention extremely wealthy. But the guys want him back and kidnap him to pay back the mean Mr. Sykes.

I thought this was a great introduction of Charles Dicken's immortal classic for the kids. Not to mention that it was clever and witty, the music is memorable and there are some very funny moments that both kids and adults could get a kick out of. Believe me, this movie is good fun, but I'm still trying to find out why I didn't see it sooner.

The rhythm of the city...

Author: Jimmy L. from Upstate New York
19 April 2012

This movie has an unmistakable 1980s vibe that gives it a certain charm. Viewers familiar with "Oliver Twist" will find it interesting how Dickens's story is adapted around dogs and their owners in modern-day New York City.

Billy Joel impresses as the voice of Dodger, a mutt with New York attitude. He's joined in the cast by Cheech Marin, Bette Midler, and Dom DeLuise (as a derelict Fagin).

The best character, in my mind, is the city itself. This is definitely a New York City movie, tapping into the city's personality and capturing many of the landmarks in the animation.

The movie has a visual aesthetic that is not quite like the style of other Disney films, which is kind of cool. There's some great character animation, such as with the imposing villain Sykes (Robert Loggia). CGI framework is used effectively throughout the film to animate cars and things.

OLIVER & COMPANY is definitely a product of its time: the late 1980s. The movie is dated by the clothing worn by the humans, the models of the cars, the music (smooth and synthesizery, with the main title song sung by Huey Lewis), the gritty urban look, and even the character designs (see the hot dog vendor or the hairspray-loving canine Rita).

In a superficial way, OLIVER & COMPANY reminds me of THE RESCUERS. Both have a unique aesthetic "feel" that strays from the classic Disney style and seems to capture the sensibilities of the times. OLIVER is as quintessentially 1988 as THE RESCUERS is 1977. (Both films also portray contemporary New York City, involve animals helping a cute little girl, and explore some dark and emotional territory.) OLIVER & COMPANY is dated, but gloriously so.

The next animated film released by Disney would be THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989), which launched the company's 1990s renaissance of timeless masterpieces, shaped by Alan Menken's Broadway-influenced musical direction. It's interesting to see the quaint, contemporary style of OLIVER, knowing that Disney would soon go off in a different direction.

With no nostalgic ties to this film, I can say that it's a decent flick, although it wouldn't crack even my top 20 Disney movies. Love the NYC stuff. Joel's "Why Should I Worry?" is a musical highlight. The story has a surprising emotional impact and the climax is both dark and exciting.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]