IMDb > The Night Before (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Night Before More at IMDbPro »

Interesting, fun film

Author: agarnet2see from Tennessee
13 August 2003

I caught this movie on a pay channel over 10 years ago. It begins with a very young Keanu Reeves waking up in an alleyway after a night of heavy drinking. He is wearing a dirty prom tuxedo with no memory of what he did with his prom date. The film unfolds in a series of clue searching and memory flashbacks in which Reeves slowly pieces together exactly what happened.

To my pleasant surprise, I found myself totally engrossed in the film within the first 5 minutes! At the time, I had no idea who Keanu Reeves was, so my interest in the movie was totally unbiased by his fame.

I truly enjoyed this movie for just what it was...a fun movie to watch. Nothing too deep or meaningful here.

I especially enjoyed the cameo by George Clinton.

A great 'lose yourself' movie. Makes you wonder!

Author: C a ® l from Manchester, U.K
12 January 2004

Being that this is my first ever review it is strange that I've picked this particular little 80's treasure!

Now, Keanu Reeves. Not many people rate him as an actor. That much is clear by reading some of the other reviews of this movie (and others of his). Early in his career he starred in this movie about a regular 'geeky' guy who wants the cream of the crop. Miss-High-School-Cheer-Leader-Drop-Dead-Gorgeous-Thing!

Well, he manages to somehow get her on a date. In fact he gets her to go the prom! (No spoilers)

He wakes up in a strange place. Doesn't know what's going on and that's this movie's premise. He wakes up in a dead end place. His date GONE. Keys to a car that's no longer there... He has to find out where his date went? THEN find out why he sold her! And then find the Pimp he sold her to!? Now if that don't make you want to buy/rent this film I don't know what will!

This flick is really great guys honestly. Check it out! It's also a very dark kinda movie in places. Strange and weird. Well directed. Be sure to check out Lori Loughlin. She is truly gorgeous in this film! And Keanu is FUNNY!!!

"Let me tell you a little something' about Tito... The man... is DUMB!" - classic.

Watch it and/or pray it comes available on DVD/Blu Ray in USA or UK!!

G-rated Teen-sexploitation

Author: Blueghost from The San Francisco Bay Area
21 April 2004

A fairly good film with no real flaws. The film explores the misadventures of a prom couple winding up on the wrong side of the tracks. Think "Sixteen Candles" meets "After Hours" but sanitized for mainstream viewing. White slavery, drugs, grand theft, assault and armed robbery... it's all here, but presented in a way that keeps the spirit of those topics alive without being vulgar.

A good watch, but if you're viewing it expecting explicit scenes and jokes, then you're in for a letdown. A mildly funny film that takes a look at L.A.'s underworld through perspective of a teenage couple.

There's nothing deep about this film, but it's likable all the same, as most good hearted comedies are. There're a couple of tangentially suggestive scenes, but nothing that would prove offensive to the mainstream viewer. The comedy is light here and there, and pretty smart; it's not spoon fed to the audience.

A definite thumbs up for some light viewing.

Keanu steps out

Author: afhickman from Dubai
1 April 2004

My fondest memory of this film is of watching Reeves and Laughlin dance to George Clinton's "Baby Boy." Reeves, apparently, really is a ballroom dancer, and he is elegance itself in this sequence--right up to the moment when he slips on a wet spot on the floor and falls into a table. The rest of the film is a pleasant diversion, without giving the brainpan much of a workout. It builds humorously enough on its premise--that a cheerleader can learn to love a nerd--then cruises to its inevitable conclusion. Of course, it helps when the nerd is as handsome as Keanu Reeves. Look for Tiny Lister in a small role as the bartender who slips Reeves a mickey. This one has a great soundtrack, by the way, and it demonstrates once again that Reeves is underused as a romantic lead.

I love this movie!

Author: CindyKay (sermersheim@hotmail.com) from Indiana
7 September 2000

I love this movie. It's funny and romantic. Keanu Reeves is quite charming as Winston. Lori Loughlin is adorable and a nice match for Keanu. The only problem I see with the movie is that Keanu is just too cute and charming to be believable as a "punishment date" for Lori's losing a bet.

V. Funny

Author: cheryl-schaffer (cheryl.schaffer@tesco.net) from United Kingdom
9 September 2006

I have to say that this must be my all time favourite movie! I mean come on! Everyone's saying it's awful but I've never laughed so much as when I saw it. Don't listen any negative comments about this movie - if you have a sense of humour at all then you will thoroughly enjoy this movie. Also, if you like Keanu as Ted in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure then you will be pleased to now that there's definitely some 'Theodore Logan' in Winston Connelly. And if you're a Keanu fan in general then you're in for a treat because he is undeniably cute as the nerdy Winston. Although relatively hard to find this movie is worth searching for. A must see!!!

Weird prom-night movie

Author: Kirk Job Sluder from Bloomington, IN, USA
19 March 1999

I think the best reason to see this flick is to see Keanu Reeves in his earliest, and perhaps quirkiest role. Reeves plays a young loser who wakes up in an alley on prom night with no memory, no car, and no date. The rest of the film is a meandering series of misadventures involving pimps, dealers and car thieves.

Put your brain on hold while watching this one.

Great fun

Author: Luxn
22 March 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Cute beyond words. The scenes in the bar are nothing short of hysterical as this poor kid staggers around getting himself in more and more trouble...and the dance routine is soooo freaky/cool lol.

Most of the minor roles are really great and its easy to miss some of the one liners and characters peppered throughout this film.

I wouldn't recommend this as a typical brat packer movie - although on the surface, it could be mistaken for one.

On the negative side, it takes a little while to get the flow of the movie and Keanu's character but it is worth it. Once you have tuned in to the humour, its a very funny movie.

This film has an amazingly young (and cute) Keanu, plus some really side splitting moments. The awful fashion and great music makes this trip back into the late eighties great fun.

Go Along For A Great Ride, Really Fun Teen Movie

Author: painterjane25 from United States
24 January 2007

This late 1980's movie is hilarious, and captures the time perfectly. What's more madcap than getting lost, drugged, selling your snobby prom date to the omni-feared pimp? Then waking up in a strange place foggily remembering what happened and having to retrace your steps from the earlier evening. Funny stuff. Keanu Reeves and Lori Loughlin are very smart and cute as the leads. They have great chemistry. But the real stars are the crazy assortment of locals they encounter on the way. It also has a great soundtrack by Parliament. Bootsy Collins and George Clinton are great. This films brings back so many young memories. Highly recommended teen fare. Enjoy!

Cute Little Teen Romp

Author: Renie from Indiana
10 October 2003

I can't possibly imagine someone thinking of Keanu Reeves as a nerd, but that's what he is in "The Night Before." The school queen, Lori Loughlin, has to go to the prom with Keanu's Winston because she made a bet with friends and lost. The chain of events that happens is wacky and hilarious, and it shows Keanu at his sweetest.