IMDb > A New Life (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A New Life More at IMDbPro »

Actor name for "Teacher" incorrect

Author: marny-carr from Canada
30 January 2006

I would like to indicate that the name of the teacher listed in the credits is incorrect. The deaf education teacher in the scene where Ann Margret's character has gone back to school is my sister, Debbie Mabon-McIntosh. At the time, Debbie was teaching in Toronto at a school for the deaf, and the school was approached for a female teacher, approximately age 28, to give a brief lesson in sign language for the scene, which was filmed in Toronto. I'd like to see Debbie's name appear in the credits, largely because she passed away of ovarian cancer in June 1993, and her daughters (naw age 17 and 16)would like to see their mother's name in the credits. They have a great photo of Debbie with Alan Alda.

Terribly trite, despite some good actors

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
16 April 2007

Alan Alda worked his way away from the TV series "M*A*S*H" cautiously and nimbly, first as an actor in "Same Time Next Year", then as an actor-writer with the classy "The Seduction of Joe Tynan" and eventually with his smoothest film to date "The Four Seasons", where he was writer, director, and star. 1988's "A New Life" seems to take him right back to television, with a sitcom script and one-dimensional characters. Alda and Ann-Margret are New York marrieds who decide to divorce and seek out other partners, finding themselves out of step with the modern singles-scene. Ann-Margret (sporting a big poof 'do that was way too big even for the '80's) is an attractive presence, and it seems natural for her to be drawn to John Shea (who could be Alda's younger brother), but the other players look lost in their roles, and Alda as a writer has only obvious points to make. It's all a comedic sham; plastic, unrealistic, and relentlessly mediocre. *1/2 from ****

Alda at his Best-Not a classic just a warm fuzzy

Author: RAY-130 from HUNTINGTON BEACH CA
11 November 2009

This is what I call a warm fuzzy. It shows a mix of people living this thing called life in a haphazard and enjoyable way. The combo of Alda and Linden had me laughing out of my chair. They remind me of so many people we all know. Ann Margaret is a knockout and Veronica Hamel brings hill street to medicine. This is MY favorite Alda movie and made me respect him as an actor who can play somebody other than Hawkeye. In my humble opinion this was Linden's best work. to use a quote from elsewhere "Alda's purpose is to show us fairly typical people going through fairly typical things. They live, we watch. On that voyeuristic level, the movie works." Please powers that be release this on DVD or show it on HBO high def .

SUMMARY- NOT A CLASSIC JUST A WARM FUZZY FEEL GOOD.

Too bland.

Author: gridoon
6 January 2001

The writer and director, Alan Alda (who also stars, sporting an unflattering haircut), enters Woody Allen territory here, but the result is unfortunately bland and forgettable. He seems to know all the right moves and maintains an agreeable tone, but there isn't enough wit in the lines, or enough laughs, or enough insights into the characters. Ann-Margret does look sensational, however. (**)