IMDb > Mystic Pizza (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystic Pizza

Mystic Pizza More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Loved it as a kid but now its different

Author: tub83388 from United States
16 August 2012

I remember seeing this movie as a kid and I really loved it then, but seeing it as an adult made me view it with a more detached cynical eye. Don't get me wrong there will always be a part of my heart that loves this film, but the cliché's and cheesy melodrama make it hard to watch now. Its basically a coming of age story about three girls who are experiencing that strange and terrifying transitional period in their lives. They are out of high school but not quite sure what to do now that the world expects something from them. All of a sudden every adult is their peer, and they might bulk under the scrutiny of a small town in which everyone knows every one's business or get out. Also there is the matter of romance: some people are late bloomers and virgins some are engaged to be married. The good things about this film are the beautiful vistas and the stunning locations. It made me want to live in New England. There is also the performances: the cast is stellar, and its fun to see people like Julia Roberts, Matt Damon, and Vincent D'anafrio all beloved stars today ham it up as unknowns. How ever some of the story lines were predictable and it got on my nerves to see Julia Roberts wallow in the - I know I'm not going to be anything dramatic rants yet all the time being stunningly gorgeous and incredibly street smart and there was never any doubt that she would be just fine. Kind hearted and Innocent Kat who is book smart but knows nothing about life or love was believable, but you could see her character arc from a mile away. Vincent D's intended who just wants to have sex but isn't sure about marriage had some funny quips but you just felt her story line was made that way so that the writers could go you see how different this is from normal girl roles? Isn't it interesting? Part of me knows that this movie was made in an era when cheesiness, good looks and youngish beautiful people turning in over the top performances and nothing more was acceptable, and the 12 year old in me will always cherish it but as an adult I don't think so.

Lukewarm and bland

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
18 February 2008

This is one of those films that no man – unless he is some kind of movie-completist – would choose to watch alone. It truly is the chickiest flick I have ever seen, and one in which very little of any note actually happens. Marked out as a product of the eighties by some big hair and bigger shoulder pads, there's probably some metaphor about life being like a pizza folded deep within the bowels of the plot but I didn't really have the urge to try and figure it out, so stupefied was I by the turgid dullness of it all. I'm not even sure a film like this would get made today – not with any kind of significant budget, anyway – it would probably be produced as one of those MTV films with a bad title and lead actors no-one other than daytime TV aficionados has ever heard of.

The plot has three teenage friends, working at the small-town Pizzeria that gives the movie its title, who all embark on some kind of romantic entanglement. They each go through the usual emotional roller-coaster ride, experience a few of life's lessons and, by the time the end credits roll, learn to face the future with their youthful optimism intact.

Of course Julia Roberts stands out, serving notice of the megastar she was about to become, but it is Lili Taylor as the girl whose boyfriend for some reason can't handle the fact that she just wants uncomplicated sex with him without the commitment of marriage, who comes across as the cutest even if she doesn't possess conventional Hollywood looks. Matt Damon also makes a fleeting appearance as the younger brother of Roberts' rich boyfriend.

Why is this movie rated R?

Author: juliarobertsla2-2 from United States
29 August 2004

I realize this movie was rated R because it's old but other movies that are old, (that are supposed to be R) are rated PG. I loved this movie. I watched it with my mom and we had a great time laughing at all the jokes and stuff like that. Julia Roberts looked so young, and it was great watching her performance. I loved the movie and I think it should be rated PG-13! As for the storyline it was OK. It's definitely NOT my favourite Julia Roberts but its a nice movie to watch on a rainy afternoon. Be sure to have a nice slice of pizza with you just in case you get hungry. I can't wait to see Julia Roerts and Jude Law in Closer. It comes out in December. Right?

Flawed, but good enough

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
5 August 1999

Although it has a fairly predictable story and a few slow spots, I would still say that this was a good movie. This is almost completely because of the reliable Annabeth Gish and her character Kat, since I never really cared for Daisy or Jojo. Besides Kat's numerous scenes, there were also several funny moments that helped me to overlook the routine plot. It's not great by any stretch, but it's certainly a worthwhile time killer.

I like it...3 ordinary girls and their lives...a good movie at slumber party, you know?

Author: madaisy from Italy
27 July 1999

I'm not 17 but I like this movie now and also when I was a teen...I like it! I know it's predictable, maybe a bit silly...but the actresses are great-i love Julia!-and I could watch it again and again, because...I like it!!

The way every town in America should be, or at least a dozen of em'

Author: anonymous
17 November 1998

A good film about life that takes place in a small Connecticut town. Although the title makes sense, it is horrible. After seeing the film I wanted to move to Mystic, Conn. A safe town with tightly-knit people and beautiful surroundings. The film is well shot, the story is interesting, and the acting is pretty good. It is definitely worth renting.

Matt's Damon first film

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
4 November 2000

" Hey mom, you want my green stuff?"

These were the first lines of Matt Damon's career in Mystic Pizza. Who would have thought ten years later, Matt would win an academy award for Good Will Hunting. In the film, Matt plays Steamer, the youngest son of a local rich family.

Keep your eyes open, Matt only has a good 40 seconds of screen time.

i bought it for matt damon

Author: kdiva1313 from naperville, il
1 July 2001

alright, i know that many comments made for this movie are from either teenagers or middle age people, but i have to say that this is a very good movie. it is true that i firat watched it for matt damon's one line, but i am also a julia fan. the main reason i am posting is not to summerize like many people do, or to criticize. i just want to let people know that if you like 80s movies, julia roberts, or like me, want to see an 18 year old matt damon utter 7 words wearing a yellow and blue polo, watch Mystic Pizza, if not, don't watch it! i will never understand why people post negatinve thoughts. have a nice day! buh bye! KD

the BEST movie EVER!!!!!!!!!

Author: ladyluna_nightshade (ladyluna_nightshade@yahoo.com) from ohio, usa
18 March 2004

i am the BIGGEST FAN of this movie!!! I've seen it Thousands of times,literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!I know its crazy but i own 3 copies of it just in case one dose not work.if you are down, this movie is the right medicine.very uplifting!!!!!!i even know every word of the script for every character at every moment.without the movie even being on...you can relate to the characters so well, especially if you were a teen in the 80's.and the men are so hot...i vacation in mystic every year since seeing this movie,i visit the sites where it was filmed and eat at the actual resturaunt.wow the pizza is sooooooooo goooooood!just about as good as the movie itself!this movie has brought alot, to my life,its a plus/bye daisy:)

A coming of age story with pizza goodness.

Author: ashleylynncaissie from Scarborough
9 December 2011

Mystic Pizza A Review by Ashley

I was making breakfast when I started watching Mystic Pizza. I can't be completely sure what I made myself that day, but knowing me it was probably a burger or spaghetti of some kind. I had decided to watch T.V. while I made breakfast because cooking can often be very boring, and I needed more stimulation. At first I was just watching the T.V. Guide channel, but I soon found myself switching to AMC to watch the last hour of Mystic Pizza.

I have to admit; at first I was completely lost. There were so many conflicts and I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out who the head pizza lady was. She looked so familiar, and it was killing me. Once I settled down and watched the movie a little I really got into it. And although I didn't watch the whole thing I knew everything that had already happened or was going to happen simply by listening. Also I saw that awesome lobster dinner part with young Matt Damon! Pure gold!

As I said before, there were a lot of conflicts in the movie. Some of the conflicts in the movie included, but were not limited to: a girl who had family problems, Julia Roberts being poor while her boyfriend was rich, problems paying tuition to Yale/ Harvard, a decline in restaurant profits, and last but not least, dealing with the olds.

All I all it was a good movie. I give it seven Golden Apes up! Which is only a 3 on IMDb.

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]