IMDb > Mystic Pizza (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

deli-cious!

Author: erin s. from Seattle, Washington
3 February 2010

I don't know why I like cheese pizza, but I sure like the taste. Maybe it's the sight of all that cheese, hot and melted, over the red spaghetti sauce. Maybe it's the scent that tickles my nose, and causes a smile to grace my face.

The first time I tried it, it was dinnertime and I was seven years old. I had just seen what a pizza was, and the cheese pizza instantly caught my eye. Immediately, I knew that the cheese pizza would be my favorite food for life.

Carefully, I hefted a small slice of the pizza onto my red paper plate and waited for a bit for it to cool down. After all, I didn't want to burn my mouth.

Then when I was sure it was cool enough, I picked up a little bit of the pizza and dug in.

It was fantastic! One of the best foods I'd ever tried. A gleeful smile spread out across my face as I savored the cheesiness of the flavor, the sauce underneath it, and best of all, the way it tasted really great.

I will never forget that taste as long as I live.

*********/10 -- -1 because I almost burned my mouth!

Lukewarm and bland

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.moviemoviesite.com
18 February 2008

This is one of those films that no man – unless he is some kind of movie-completist – would choose to watch alone. It truly is the chickiest flick I have ever seen, and one in which very little of any note actually happens. Marked out as a product of the eighties by some big hair and bigger shoulder pads, there's probably some metaphor about life being like a pizza folded deep within the bowels of the plot but I didn't really have the urge to try and figure it out, so stupefied was I by the turgid dullness of it all. I'm not even sure a film like this would get made today – not with any kind of significant budget, anyway – it would probably be produced as one of those MTV films with a bad title and lead actors no-one other than daytime TV aficionados has ever heard of.

The plot has three teenage friends, working at the small-town Pizzeria that gives the movie its title, who all embark on some kind of romantic entanglement. They each go through the usual emotional roller-coaster ride, experience a few of life's lessons and, by the time the end credits roll, learn to face the future with their youthful optimism intact.

Of course Julia Roberts stands out, serving notice of the megastar she was about to become, but it is Lili Taylor as the girl whose boyfriend for some reason can't handle the fact that she just wants uncomplicated sex with him without the commitment of marriage, who comes across as the cutest even if she doesn't possess conventional Hollywood looks. Matt Damon also makes a fleeting appearance as the younger brother of Roberts' rich boyfriend.

Great Movie!

Author: BabyPrincess2250 from Connecticut, USA
12 July 2002

I thought that this was such a cute movie. I just got around to watching it today, I've had it sitting around for a couple months. I think it was very touching and sweet. Plus, I'm a huge Julia Roberts fan so I was glad to finally watch this movie.

Mystical and Pure Fun

Author: StephanieGould from MA
7 July 2002

Who can resist a chick flick huh? I know that I'm a girl and I shouldn't be using the term, but it sums up the movie. It is one of my favorites. The acting is modest and the characters, dynamic enough to hold your attention for a long time. The premise of the story is just really clever and you feel sorry and happy for the characters at the same time. The dialogue has something to be desired, but the film works. It shows Julia Roberts fresh at the start of her career and Matt Damon's as well. It just works and it has so many underlining themes. Just go see the movie.

A Perfect Feel-Good/Therapy Movie!

Author: ericfb from San Francisco
10 August 2001

This is perfect to enjoy when you want to watch a friendly, uplifting movie.

The entire cast was very well-chosen and has great chemistry throughout the movie.

The vagaries of the transition from youth into adulthood are explored.

Cute Movie

Author: lilifan from Camarillo
6 September 1999

Personally, I thought this movie was so good! I mean, its not the best movie I've ever seen but it was pretty cute. I found it interesting that this movie shot off Julia Roberts and Lili Taylor's acting careers. I would definately recommend it to anyone!

Flawed, but good enough

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
5 August 1999

Although it has a fairly predictable story and a few slow spots, I would still say that this was a good movie. This is almost completely because of the reliable Annabeth Gish and her character Kat, since I never really cared for Daisy or Jojo. Besides Kat's numerous scenes, there were also several funny moments that helped me to overlook the routine plot. It's not great by any stretch, but it's certainly a worthwhile time killer.

A coming of age story with pizza goodness.

Author: ashleylynncaissie from Scarborough
9 December 2011

Mystic Pizza A Review by Ashley

I was making breakfast when I started watching Mystic Pizza. I can't be completely sure what I made myself that day, but knowing me it was probably a burger or spaghetti of some kind. I had decided to watch T.V. while I made breakfast because cooking can often be very boring, and I needed more stimulation. At first I was just watching the T.V. Guide channel, but I soon found myself switching to AMC to watch the last hour of Mystic Pizza.

I have to admit; at first I was completely lost. There were so many conflicts and I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out who the head pizza lady was. She looked so familiar, and it was killing me. Once I settled down and watched the movie a little I really got into it. And although I didn't watch the whole thing I knew everything that had already happened or was going to happen simply by listening. Also I saw that awesome lobster dinner part with young Matt Damon! Pure gold!

As I said before, there were a lot of conflicts in the movie. Some of the conflicts in the movie included, but were not limited to: a girl who had family problems, Julia Roberts being poor while her boyfriend was rich, problems paying tuition to Yale/ Harvard, a decline in restaurant profits, and last but not least, dealing with the olds.

All I all it was a good movie. I give it seven Golden Apes up! Which is only a 3 on IMDb.

Wonderful Movie...

Author: Ashley (x_filesgurl696@hotmail.com) from Waterloo, Canada
28 August 2002

I absolutely LOVE this movie! I usually hate chick flicks or basically any movie with Julia Roberts, but I still loved this one. Julia Roberts was her same old self, same character she always plays, But Lili Taylor was the best I've ever seen her. And Annabeth gish was my favourite part. She was amazing, though her character wasn't glamorized the way Julia Roberts' was, I found that Annabeth Gish she was far better. This movie was beautiful and I loved it!

Why is this movie rated R?

Author: juliarobertsla2-2 from United States
29 August 2004

I realize this movie was rated R because it's old but other movies that are old, (that are supposed to be R) are rated PG. I loved this movie. I watched it with my mom and we had a great time laughing at all the jokes and stuff like that. Julia Roberts looked so young, and it was great watching her performance. I loved the movie and I think it should be rated PG-13! As for the storyline it was OK. It's definitely NOT my favourite Julia Roberts but its a nice movie to watch on a rainy afternoon. Be sure to have a nice slice of pizza with you just in case you get hungry. I can't wait to see Julia Roerts and Jude Law in Closer. It comes out in December. Right?

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]