IMDb > Mystic Pizza (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystic Pizza

Mystic Pizza More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Won't be on movies for guys who like movies

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
14 May 2004

Won't be on movies for guys who like movies! The antithesis for Magnum Froce. No Client Eastwood or Hal Halbrook in this film. Hey no one even gets killed. Saw this at my sisters former boyfriend house. Did not mind it either, than I saw it again years later, with by wife, on late night. My wife like this film, and I found it aged well. The acting is alright, but its the story that keeps, this action movie junkie, interested. The story reminds me of a few of the interesting conversation I would have with my female friends at the university. Funny how a jucie story can transend gender, age and other demographics. The end is a bit sappy, but it had too have a downer ending that would have killed this movie. I wish they had a litte more about the Pizza. Funny, right about this movie makes me want to order one. I give this film 7 pizza's out of 10, if it is 2 for 1 then 14 out of 20. Mike

Pretty Women

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
11 April 2003

MYSTIC PIZZA (1988) **1/2 Annabeth Gish, Julia Roberts, Lili Taylor, Vincent Phillip D'Onofrio, William R. Moses, Adam Storke, Conchata Ferrell. Zesty slice-of-life coming-of-age comedy centering on three teenage girls who work in a fishing village pizzeria in Connecticut and focuses on their trials and tribulations with their love lives. Roberts, in her pre-"Pretty Woman" stardom, shines brightly as a randy, fun-loving gal with charm to spare. Gish and Taylor are equally radiant with fresh performances that rise above the all-so-familiar storylines. Look sharply for Matt Damon as Storke's younger brother.

Good movie -- when I was 12.

Author: anonymous from Toronto
17 January 1999

The only things missing from this St. Elmo's Fire Xerox are Jessica Fletcher and L.L. Bean labels on all of Annabeth Gish's preppy togs. Although Mystic Pizza offers a pleasant dose of couleur locale, along with a spicy dash of "real American" drama, the whole affair seems very predictable and dated in retrospect. We've simply grown too sarcastic to widen our eyes when Julia Roberts -- Mystic, Conn.'s "experienced woman" -- tosses her younger sister a pack of -- gasp! -- condoms. Yawn.

Ironically, women are much better portrayed here than in most contemporary Hollywood flotsam, where they're either kick-ass she-males (G.I. Jane, recent Bond women), doting wives of violent men (Anne Heche in Donnie Brasco, Robert DeNiro's girl in Heat), or vacuous trophy dates, endlessly worried in high Cosmo style about Mr. Right -- the one with whom our heroines invariably enjoy a done-to-death pan-in sex scene (all of Meg Ryan, Selma Hayek and Jennifer Aniston).

Where's the catchy banter and chemistry that made people sing about Bogey and Bacall in Key Largo or the cutting-edge realism of Jodi Foster in The Accused or -- best of all -- Eva Marie Saint's faultless devotion and strength in On the Waterfront? Janeane's a great start, but there's still a long way to go...

Not a single person has seen this naff film.

Author: Mark Watson
26 April 2015

Even Julia Roberts skived off the Premiere by pretending she was ill. This was just as well because if she had turned up she would have found the auditorium empty as everybody else from the cast and crew had also pulled 'sickes'. In a further twist, a lorry carrying twenty-five thousand copies of this terrible film on DVD crashed into the outside wall of Julia Robert's house shortly after release, spilling it's contents onto a main thoroughfare. Not a single copy was taken, either in broad daylight or darkest night and eventually, after about a month or so, the council had to come round and burn them. Julia Robert's own mother didn't bother picking up a copy even though she passed the giant pile hundreds of times walking the dog and the council workers tasked with burning it couldn't even be arsed filching one either.

A daytime TV melodrama made better by the trio of strong performances in the leads and solid direction

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
21 December 2004

In the small fishing town of Mystic, three girls work together as waitresses in the finest little unknown pizza restaurant. Against this background, we see the three of them dealing with their various relationship problems and turning to each other for support. Jojo loves Bill but cannot get to the point of saying "I do"; Daisy falls for three men a week and appears to have bitten off more than she can chew, when she falls for rich whitebread Charles. Meanwhile Kat takes up a babysitting job for Tim Travers only to find herself falling for him.

Despite the fact that it was a big hit and made the names of several people involved, Mystic Pizza is really nothing more than an enjoyable, down-to-earth film that could play in cinemas as well as it does on daytime television. The basic plot is about the love problems of the three girls but yet it manages to avoid overly sentimental moments although it does have its close calls. Mostly the film has a nice down to earth quality that is rough and ready and avoids the gloss of daytime TVM's and feels like it is set in the real world. The direction may not set the world on fire but he deserves praise for avoiding these traps.

Of course a major reason that it works so well is the nice playing from the majority of the cast. Gish is vulnerable and convincing and is the heart of the emotional story. As such she doesn't stand out as well as Roberts, who gets a cocky character to dominate the others. Taylor is also pretty good and all three of them are down to earth and quite realistic. D'Onofrio is as good as he usually is; Ferrell is typically bubbly and fun; Perry Mason fans will take the chance to see Moses in something else and he is OK. Also worth noting is a very young Matt Damon in a small role.

Overall this will not win over those viewers who hate soapy melodramas but it may win over the indifferent and the fans because it is a quality piece of melodrama. It rejoices in friendship no matter what is happening with love, but yet avoids delivering cloying sentimentality for the most part, instead delivering pretty convincing characters that are performed well by the trio of lead actresses.

Minor corrections

Author: lamara_andre
6 April 2003

The film is great and refreshing! Only one small correction, the portuguese names are Araújo and Barbosa, not Arujo and Barboza... those names simply don´t exist in Portugal.

It is expected that films of this magnitude should have more research so it wouldn´t make such basic mistakes!!!

Please Explain....

Author: anonymous from Maryland
15 August 1998

Okay a) I think Mystic Pizza is one of the dumbest names for a movie I've ever seen b) All of these comments come from a 17 year old's point of view.

I don't know what females want in this world. I don't know the male balance scale for them. But I do know that no one in this world is Cupid, and no one can hit a bullseye every time. But I do know that Kat (Annabeth Gish) getting the hots for a twice-as-old married babysitter with a six year old daughter is something that sounds even a little odd for Jerry Springer. Or that girls like Jojo (Lily Taylor) can be as sexually driving as men, using sex as a way of getting a quick fix. I don't really know how this works, but I do know that this movie shows feminine sexuality in a rather negative way. This movie has just made my male teenage hormone crazed mind, who's spent a long time learning women, even more utterly confused. That's my philosophical point of view. Besides that, this movie had a reasonably weak story and fairly sub-par acting. With only performances from young Annabeth Gish and a young Vincent D'Onofrio being the most convincing. And I'm sorry, but that Mystic Pizza looks awful greasy **

This pizza tastes more like cardboard

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
30 August 2009

The cornball cutesie-cutesie title is the least of this film's problems. It's another coming-of-age story, where teens have romantic encounters, and learn about harsh realities of life because everything goes wrong in those encounters. That can be a good or bad formula, depending on what the writer and director do with it. This "Pizza" is cooked up with cardboard cutouts; consequently ending up as hard to swallow as cardboard.

The plot is utterly predictable, and slammed down your throat with about as much subtlety in its approach as the coming-of-age of an atomic bomb. And what a bomb this is. The film tries to be a romantic comedy in spots with awkward exaggeration; this also fails. The only saving grace of this movie is the always dependable Annabeth Gish. But she is surrounded by unbelievably bad co-stars. Julia Roberts is; well, Julia Roberts, and that is not a good thing (to be fair, she does appear to at least be trying). The overacting guys that run in and out are inept and annoying. The person playing the third waitress apparently was never heard from again. The film ends nowhere, pretty much where it started.

Where do they get the gimmicky so-deep-and-clever title? To rope in box office dollars of course--in the story, a pizza parlor. And a town. Are they kidding? Ugh.

There's nothing mystic about it. Mystic Pizza tastes bland and stale.

Pizzia is not the only thing getting hot and sticky.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
4 December 2000

Coming of age or just hot to trot; three young girls working at the Mystic Pizza Shop each have particular problems with the men in their lives. Julia Roberts makes her first real noticable appearance on the big screen. She is in love with a guy that may think he is too good for her. Lili Taylor uses sex as her own version of self therapy. And Annabeth Gish has the quivers for a married man with a six year old daughter.

Gish does the best acting in the whole movie. I have always found her tempting and appealing. Also in the cast are Conchata Ferrell, William Moses and Vincent D'Onofrio.

Note: There is a small part for Matt Damon, his first on the silver screen.

Yech. Blech. Avoid if you want to preserve your sanity.

Author: buzzerbill (buzzerbill@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
8 October 2008

I still painfully regret the 90 minutes or so that it took to see this film. Consider: Julia Robert before she learned how to act (which was sometime around "My Best Friend's Wedding"); one of those painfully contrived underlying metaphors of the "life is like " (fill in the blank); filled with all the saccharine conventions of the unexamined chick flick; full of allegedly heartwarming human interaction; painfully quasi-metaphorical title.

Feh.

And yet again I say feh.

Gentlemen, if the woman in your life ever coos and says "This is one of my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite movies", for the sake of your long term happiness, run, do not walk, to the nearest exit, go home, take the phone off the hook, start blocking calls from said woman, and congratulate yourself on an exceedingly lucky escape. Trust me--you will be like a coyote in a trap wanting to gnaw off a leg to get away if you watch.

Yes, this film is that bad.

It could serve as a substitute of ipecac.

It destroys brain cells.

As I said, I bitterly regret the 90 minutes with this film that I can never get back.

You have been warned.

Ladies, if you take umbrage at these remarks--well, let me just say that we would never get along. I prefer people of a rational disposition.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]