IMDb > Mystic Pizza (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mystic Pizza

Mystic Pizza More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not a single person has seen this naff film.

Author: Mark Watson
26 April 2015

Even Julia Roberts skived off the Premiere by pretending she was ill. This was just as well because if she had turned up she would have found the auditorium empty as everybody else from the cast and crew had also pulled 'sickes'. In a further twist, a lorry carrying twenty-five thousand copies of this terrible film on DVD crashed into the outside wall of Julia Robert's house shortly after release, spilling it's contents onto a main thoroughfare. Not a single copy was taken, either in broad daylight or darkest night and eventually, after about a month or so, the council had to come round and burn them. Julia Robert's own mother didn't bother picking up a copy even though she passed the giant pile hundreds of times walking the dog and the council workers tasked with burning it couldn't even be arsed filching one either.

Author: gavin6942 from United States
27 May 2016

Three teenage girls come of age while working at a pizza parlor in the Connecticut town of Mystic.

In his film debut, Matt Damon has a very small part—his sole line in the film being, "Mom, do you want my green stuff?" You really have to look for him. Heck, everyone in the picture in young, even Vincent D'Onofrio.

Although this is the film that launched Julia Roberts' career, what really stands out for me is Lili Taylor. She had such a great run in the late 80s to mid-90s, maybe a little longer. What happened? Of course, she is still around today (2016), but she seemed to be in a non-stop string of brilliant roles for a while, really redefining what it means to be an actress.

Julia Roberts at her best!

Author: Predrag ( from Serbia
5 May 2016

This "sleeper" hit looks just as good today as it did when it was first released. It follows the trials and tribulations of three childhood friends. They all work as waitresses in a pizza parlor and all are at a crossroad in their life. Kat (Annabeth Gish) is preparing to leave home for Yale to begin a career in Astronomy. Daisey (Julia Roberts) Kat's sister, seems to be floundering, with no real direction to go in life, and JoJo (Lili Taylor, who gives the film's most comedic performance), is torn between her love for her fiancé Bill, and settling down into a married life filled with screaming kids and massive weight gain.

The film integrates all three stories and keeps the plot moving at a brisk pace. All three friends have very different personalities, allowing most of the audience to be able to identify with at least one of them. I will admit, however, that the ultra idealistic, goodie-goodie Kat does get on my nerves from time to time. (I particularly enjoyed the scene where Daisey hauls off and belts her across the face). The chemistry between the leads works extremely well which only strengthens the movie. Roberts gives a strong performance and shows the audience the first signs of the Hollywood powerhouse she would soon become. The three leads are admirabley backed up by a strong supporting cast as well, most notably, Conchata Ferrell as the owner of the pizza parlor. All in all, a very sweet movie about real people and real family situations, and it remains one of my favorite movies of all time. I literally never tire of this modern classic. My only quibble is that the last spoken line is disturbingly unimaginative and anti-climactic. After crafting such a superb screenplay, the writers just seemed to run out of inspiration at the last hurdle. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating."

Overall rating: 7 out of 10.

Three Girls In A Pizzeria

Author: JackCerf from United States
19 December 2015

There is a genre known as the Three Girls Movie, in which, you guessed it, three girls learn about Life, which really means Men, and about themselves along the way. There is always a heroine, a naive, vulnerable one who gets hurt, and an eccentric one, who might be either wild or salty. Three Coins In a Fountain is a Three Girls Movie; so is The Best of Everything, and Where The Boys Are (although they threw in Connie Francis as a fourth so that she could sing). How to Marry a Millionaire is also a Three Girls Movie, with the twist that the three girls are grown women -- fashion models -- who already consider themselves fully wised up about Life and Men and find out they are wrong.

Mystic Pizza is a very good Three Girls Movie, notable for launching the careers of the Three Actresses: Julia Roberts, of course, and to a lesser extent Lily Taylor and Annabeth Gish. They play three working class waitresses in a New England fishing town. Gish, the smart but naive one, gets hurt but will go off to college better armored against the snares of the world. Taylor, the eccentric one, finally accepts marriage and domesticity with the guy who has loved her all along. Roberts, the gorgeous, hot tempered but deeply sensible heroine, finds a rich guy who turns out to be flawed, but curably flawed; at the end she is making him over into the man who will deserve her. There are no real surprises here (except for one involving a misunderstanding and a parked convertible with the top down), and it's not great art by any means, but it is a well-executed variation of a reliable formula that should entertain anyone, or at least any female, from 13 on up.

Better than the IMDb rating would suggest

Author: yajji from Sydney, Australia
26 June 2014

I have always thought Mystic Pizza was a very good, light hearted film. It's extremely well acted, the script is solid and witty, the cinematography is just heavenly (those Autumn colours are sensational!), and the story itself is heart warning and poignant. There comes a time in every young person's life when they have to figure out which direction they want to head, how they are going to get there and whether or not they will stay in the environment that reared them or branch out, beginning a new life. However, despite the uncertainty that plagues teens and twenty-somethings, there is one universal bond that will seal all cracks and that is friendship, which is the core of Mystic Pizza.

This unbreakable duo of friends consists of a then unknown, yet incredibly very striking Julia Roberts. She gives a bright, charismatic performance as the wayward and confused Daisy. Her care free nature is a strong contrast to the level headed, smart and introverted Kat, played by the absolutely gorgeous Annabeth Gish. Last, but certainly not least, is the tempestuous and indecisive Jojo. There's also the men in their lives, the handsome upper class WASP type Charles, the unavailable dad Tim (William R. Moses) who has his wandering eyes set on Kat and Bill (Vincent D'Onofrio), the long suffering husband-to-be of Jojo.

Mystic Pizza is definitely one of the better coming-of-age, small town friendship films and it hasn't been done better than this ever since. A fine film, worthy of a lot more than 6.1/10.

Ohh To Be Young and In Love and Working at a Pizza Place Living in Mystic, Connecticut !!

Author: tbills2 from United States
25 April 2014

Mystic Pizza is a fine, unforgettable movie for teenage girls or grown women alike. It is a great family film for everyone to enjoy. I'm watching it now for the first time as we speak. Mystic Pizza has an excellent unrestricting flowing story. The story can lead you seemingly anywhere while within its close to home setting. It's very well-written. It's certainly a lasting 80s classic and a sneaky hit. Julia Roberts is unbelievable in it. She is young and sensational. I'm reminded of my undying love for Julia watching her now in Mystic Pizza. Oh my God, she is so beautiful! I love Julia! She's like, my fav. I love seeing Lili Taylor in her first breakout role. I have always held the utmost respect for Lili's true ability to act since I first laid eyes on her and she's so pretty. I'm not too familiar with the lesser known Annabeth Gish but she is very warm and welcoming and very lovely. Mystic Pizza has great ensemble characters. Mystic Pizza hits close to the heart. Mystic Pizza has become a very popularly beloved movie over time and Julia Roberts is to die for in it. As the ending rolls on this heartwarming coming of age, pizza slice of life movie, I realize Mystic Pizza was very good.

The Girls did good work

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 September 2013

Sisters Kat (Annabeth Gish) and Daisy (Julia Roberts) with friend Jojo (Lili Taylor) work at a local pizza place in Mystic, Connecticut.

Kat is drawn to the father of the girl she is babysitting while his wife is away.

Daisy falls for a rich guy who was slumming it one day at the pizza joint.

Jojo passed out at her wedding, and is having second thoughts about her commitment to Bill (Vincent D'Onofrio).

The girls are all great at their roles. The guys are somewhat flat. The stories are pretty traditional to have a good cry over. Although I liked that Daisy's guy didn't do the rich snob douche move.

Mystic Pizza

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
27 June 2009

I should say that I remember the title, I remember the most well known actress of the film, and I am pretty sure I watched it all the way through, but I can't remember that much of what happens in it, from director Donald Petrie (Miss Congeniality). Basically the Arujo sisters, Kat (Annabeth Gish) and Daisy (Julia Roberts), and best friend Jojo (Lili Taylor) all live out their lives in Mystic, Connecticut, where they also work at the pizza parlour. Kat is off to Yale and falling for a man she babysits for, Daisy is a tearaway wasting her time with the wrong men, Jojo leaves the man she was to marry at the altar not wanting commitment, and the pizza is gaining fame for containing a special something. Also starring Vincent D'Onofrio as Bill, William R. Moses as Tim Travers, Adam Storke as Charles Gordon Windsor, Jr., Conchata Ferrell as Leona, Porscha Radcliffe as Phoebe Travers, Joanna Merlin as Mrs. Arujo, Arthur Walsh as Manny, John Fiore as Jake and Gene Amoroso as Mr. Barboza. I can't really give a better opinion or review until I see it again, but I am happy with what I have for now. Good!

Julia's big break

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
17 September 2007

The funny thing is that I'm a girl and it's rare that I like a chick flick, I've found a few that I really like and some that I'm cool with. Mystic Pizza I'm cool with, just the fact that there's nothing wrong with the film. It's Julia's big break in films, that big hair, that dazzling smile, I think people knew she was going to be big. I started watching Mystic Pizza with my mom a while back when it was on TV, but we never finished it, I have to admit, it kept my attention. So I rented it the other day and just watched it a few minutes ago. It was a very cute film and a charming story for girls who know that it's time to grow up. I think the reason I enjoyed this film is that right now I can relate to these girls when they know they're going through major changes in their lives that they have to accept and go with. The story is one that I think most girls can relate too.

Kat, Daisy, and Jojo are three girls who have grown up together and work together at Mystic Pizza. Jojo is afraid of marrying her long time boyfriend. Kat is having romantic fantasies of the married man who's daughter she is babysitting. Daisy is having a wild romance with the money of the States, Charles. Together they face the hard times of having to grow up and face the world. But they know that if they stick together, they can make it through the tough times.

Mystic Pizza is a decent movie really. There's nothing wrong with it, there are some funny moments and some one's that make you shed a tear, it's a chick flick, what can you do? But I would recommend it for a good flick, so far this is actually the only Julia Roberts flick that I have really enjoyed so far. But I think I loved Lili Tyler's character the most, she was so cute and funny. I loved it when her parents walked in on her and her boyfriend, it's such a situation that most can relate too. So go and give this a look, it's a good movie.

Yes, there's a Mystic Pizza and NO, you don't ever see it in the film

Author: bethcapps from Orange Park, Florida
15 June 2007

I love this movie. It was filmed my senior year of High School in and around my hometown so naturally it's one of my favorites. What a strange sensation to see the places in which I grew up on that big screen. Anyway, my main point to this posting, even though it's now 20 years later, is that although there IS an actual Mystic Pizza, you don't ever actually see it in this film. The location used for the Pizza Parlor in the film is actually in the Borough of Stonington which is situated on the water, between Mystic and Pawcatuck. Pawcatuck being where the "at home" scenes were all filmed. Anyway, being from that area and around the age they were in the movie when it came out, I love this story! And I really like that no one knew who any of the players were back then. It was YEARS before I even realized Steamer was Matt Damon. This movie is loaded with big names and together they really tell a well done, if over done, coming-of-age tale. senior year. My house, my home town, my friend's truck, his dad's boat...all in the movie. Plus, I'm from a town called Pawcatuck in the state of KNOW this was the coolest thing that had ever happened at the time.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]