IMDb > My Stepmother Is an Alien (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Stepmother Is an Alien

My Stepmother Is an Alien More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Great! What are you all talking about?

Author: hlookie from California
15 August 2001

I'm wondering if everyone who reviewed this was watching the same film that I've seen because there is no way this movie can "endanger your mental growth." This movie is great! It's got a funny script and an interesting storyline...I don't know if people were expecting some kind of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" challenger, but you all need to see this movie for what it is...somehow I doubt it was meant to deliver some deep message about society or help you delve into your's a comedy that is meant to entertain! Lighten up, people....

Enjoyable light fluff

Author: Kevin Beckett (KevinBeckett) from Ottawa, Canada
18 August 2002

Ok, I admit to a guilty pleasure at 1)enjoying and 2) recommending this movie.

The plot is weak, the situation implausible and the secondary characters are weak. So why do I give this movie a 7/10?

Dan Aykroyd and Kim Basinger, who have some of the funniest lines in any movie.

They are both excellent as 'fish out of water' he as a nerdy social misfit and she as the space travelling investigator who has to find out how Dan Aykroyd's character was able to contact her planet from a primitive Earth.

It is a movie that definitely grows on you with repeated viewings.

Still delivers big laughs, one to watch when your world has some gray skies

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
29 May 2008

Widower Dr. Steve Mills (Dan Ackroyd) is a two-bit astronomer who wants desperately to send a light beam "out of" the solar system. He fervently believes there is life on other planets but his experiments have been known to damage expensive equipment. Therefore, his boss has told Steve that he will get the boot if he breaks anything else. Needing lightning to bolster his beam, Dr. Steve begins his next attempt at intergalactic communication in a thunderstorm when the system suddenly gets a "superboost" of power, which he can't explain. The result is that the radar shows his light went into another GALAXY, hurrah, but, soon after, the entire system goes south. Steve gets thrown out on his ear, of course. He goes home to his thirteen year old daughter, Jessie (Alyson Hannigan) and contemplates his next move. His womanizing brother, Ron (Jon Lovitz, absolutely hilarious) throws a party to cheer him up, too. But, crashing the get-together, is a beautiful blonde, Celeste (Kim Basinger) who flirts with Steve and wants to know his science secrets. That's because she is an alien whose planet was damaged by Dr. Mills' light beam. She has only a short time to get the good astronomer to send the jolt again so that her world will be saved. But, naturally, Steve must not know she is not an earthling. From alien "eyes" in handbags to drinking car batteries to convincing Steve to marry her, will Celeste succeed in her rescue attempts? If you are world weary, I heartily recommend this old charmer. It is very funny, probably Richard Benjamin's best effort, and it has a terrific cast, too. Ackroyd is wonderful but, then, so is Basinger in a role for which she has probably never garnered any praise, which is a big shame, for she is very funny and sweet. As for Lovitz, he could make a stone laugh and he is in excellent form in this one. All of the other cast members, including Hannigan, in her first big role, are fine. There is an abundance of terrific sight gags and special effects and the script is humorous, polished, and offbeat. As for the costumes, they are impressive, with Basinger looking like a dream. In short, do not be an alien to this film. There have been many films in cinematic history which have been praised high above this one but there are very few that actually deliver the laughs and enjoyment of this truly winning flick.

Not bad at all (if you can accept something totally silly).

Author: Lee Eisenberg ( from Portland, Oregon, USA
23 February 2006

During the period when Richard Benjamin wasn't acting in any movies, he turned to directing, and "My Stepmother Is an Alien" was one of the results. It features nerdy astronomer Steven Mills (Dan Aykroyd) accidentally doing something that causes alien Celeste Martin (Kim Basinger) to get sent to earth. Naturally, she has to learn about everything step by step, causing some really wacky situations.

This movie's nothing special, but good for a laugh. You probably really like the scene where Celeste asks her purse "What is sex?". Also starring Alyson Hannigan, Jon Lovitz, and Seth Green. Oh, and most of us probably know that Aykroyd had already played Mr. Conehead on "SNL".

Awesome 80's movie

Author: Chrystal Lozano from Houston, TX United States
7 November 2005

I thought this movie was hilarious! I don't understand how this movie got an average of 4 stars. I remember liking this movie when I was a kid and I still love this movie today. I bought the DVD and watch it often. Kim Basinger and Dan Akroyd are wonderful in this delightful film together. Not too many movies can make me laugh out loud. Sure this may be a cheesy film but what 80's movie wasn't cheesy? The eyeball is also hilarious! One of my fav scenes in the movie is when the eyeball is teaching Celeste what sex is, both of their reactions throughout that scene are so funny and unforgettable. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who likes comedies.

Hey, it's not that bad!

Author: Nick Fenwick (neekfenwick) from Southampton, England
11 March 2002

I rate this film as "so bad, it's kinda good". It reeks of everything I feel the Eighties was trying to get away from when it became the Nineties, however nostalgia will forever hallow certain themes, in a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sort of way.

Certainly by today's standards this movie is very corny and lacks any real depth sought by movie lovers everywhere, but it has a lot of tongue in cheek charm that other movies lack. It's possible I only say these things because I first saw the film when quite young and I remember liking it... that's a great way to end up liking films that other people really cannot get along with.

As a summary, I couldn't sit down and watch this film with any of my friends, but it would be a perfect companion on a slow evening when I'm ill and had a few beers and need my mind taking off things. Like this evening.

Great comedy ,Great science fiction and great characters

Author: James-202
25 April 2000

My stepmother is an alien is a wonderful comedy packed with great jokes and great characters.Dan Arkroyd plays Steven Mills a scientist who believes there is life on other planets one night he makes an experiment that will change his life forever.Kim Basinger plays Celeste an alien from an other planet who comes to earth to try to save her planet with the help of Steve Mills.Alyson Hannigan is also great as Jessie Mills who suspects Celeste is not quite normal.9 out of 10.

charming little story

Author: babeulous from United States
26 October 2001

This movie was fun. I don't know why everyone is ragging on it. Deserving, nerdy guy gets the girl and saves the world. Nice salutes to movies of the '40s. If the plot's weak, it's because there's not much conflict, no diabolical scheming bad guy. The characters are all sweet and real enough that you care about them. Ms. Basinger is pretty, but if you want to see her do sexy, see _Cool World_.

Now That's A Nice-Lookin' Alien!

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 November 2006

I don't believe in aliens, but one ever existed and I ran into it, I hope it looks like Kim Bassinger!

Ditsy but humorous in spots and a generally likable movie is how I saw this film. Basinger hardly ever looked better, which is saying a lot. At the time, it was unusual to see her in a comedy after viewing her in tough crime or sex-type movies for awhile. (I didn't see this film until 10 years after it had been released.) She's a decent comedienne, like her ex-husband (Alec Baldwin) has turned out to be, too.

The comedy is more chuckles than guffaws. There is the usual too-liberal "values" espoused here, in which sex on the first date is "cool," even considered that b the teen daughter! The latter, however, "Jessie" (Alyson Hannigan) is a cute kid and not annoying as most teen girls on in modern-day films. The casual sex and general secular attitude toward everything including that "science is everything" were all annoying to me but it's still a likeble movie. The profanity isn't too much, except by Jon Lovitz, who provides much of it. In all, a dumb story but a nice, feel-good ending helps.

Hey... it's not THAT bad! It was really kinda funny! =)

Author: SoCalGal from Southern California
4 June 1999

I rather enjoyed this film! I actually thought that it was a crack-up! Okay, so it's not the funniest movie that was ever made. So what?! Not every comedy was written by Neil Simon or Woody Allen. Of course, the fact that I saw it when it was first released (more than 10 years ago) might have something to do with my enjoyment factor. The special effects, especially by today's standards, are pretty corny. But, all in all, it was enjoyable. And hey, after all, where else can you get to see T.V.'s Buffy the Vampire Slayer stars, Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green, when they first appeared as boyfriend and girlfriend, years before their television romance began?!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]