IMDb > Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Seriously deranged cult-stuff!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
5 May 2005

Yes, this movie really does handle about evil aliens, shaped like clowns, that strand near a remote American village. Their circus tent mysteriously appears in the woods after a meteorite crash and the klowns (yes, with a "k") go on a rampage in the village to turn people into cotton-candy with their funky armory. Their mission is to take the human snacks back to their planet but a team of local dummies makes a counter-attack in their ice cream-truck! This movie unquestionably has the most absurd premise in cinema ever and you either love it or downgrade it as being a ridiculous piece of trash. I am a great fan of this campy horror-comedy flick and I can't possibly say anything negative about it. My best defense for this movie would be that it is an ingenious and successful attempt to parody and homage the 50's and early 60's SF classics in which paranoid people witnessed alien-invasions from all over the universe. But actually, the silliness of this movie doesn't require justification at all. It feels like the idea started out as a joke between 3 brothers and eventually it resulted in a long-feature film. The acting isn't very impressive (apart from veteran actor John Vernon in a great 'angry old copper'-role) and the dialogues are unimaginably dumb. On the other hand, the clown-costumes are terrific and the least you can say about the plot-twists is that they're creative (a Godzilla-clown, anyone??). So, in case you have only the tiniest sense of morbid humor in you, I strongly recommend tracking down this "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". It will, without a doubt, be one the most bizarre film projects you ever laid eyes on.

Thank you, MGM...

Author: TobyS from Atlanta
1 October 2001

I just want to extend a BIG thank you to MGM! I haven't seen this movie in years, and have always wondered if it would ever make its way back to video.

If you can't tell what Killer Klowns From Outer Space is about by the title, then this movie isn't for you. The plot is so outrageous, that you need to be a serious Midnight Movie fanatic to enjoy it. It's only appropriate that MGM has issued the DVD under their Midnight Movie banner.

This is one fun movie. Not particularly scary, and not very gruesome, but hugely enjoyable. I've always been a little unsettled by clowns ("It" really did them in for me), and Killer Klowns should seal the deal. I've read a lot of reviews that compare Killer Klowns to the '50s "B" movies (especially the ones from American International Pictures), and I can say that I agree. Although, I can't even see AIP coming up with the concept of alien clowns overtaking a quiet town by sealing all it's residents up in cotton candy cocoons and shooting carnivorous popcorn from ray guns!

You'll be met with blank stares if you try and explain this film to anybody whose never seen it, so do yourself a favor. Pop a big bucket of popcorn, get yourself some cotton candy and sit your friends down in front of the TV and just let them take in Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Enjoy!

My grade: A+

I know bad when I see it...

Author: electronsexparty from Texas
6 June 2005

I know bad when I see it. As a MST3K fanatic, I've seen the worst of the worst and loved every minute. I rented Killer Klowns thinking it would be so bad I'd groan and laugh the whole way through.

Gasp, Killer Klowns isn't bad at all- it's creative and funny. This movie doesn't take itself seriously, and that makes for fun time for everyone.

It's a contemporary monster movie with a 1950's Blob-ish feel. The Chiodo Bros. demented sense of humor, simple and coherent plot, kreepy-looking klowns and decent cast of actors makes for an entertaining Friday night movie.Pair this one up with The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and you've got yourself a great double-feature.

A must see B movie

Author: ClarusTheDogCow from Oregon
2 July 2003

Killer Klowns from Outerspace is one of those rare "good B movies." This was the first DVD that I ever owned and I am happy with my purchase because I think the film is enjoyable for several reasons, mainly, the whole plot is original.

Check it out today or else the Klowns will come and get you and turn you into cotton candy. Muhaaa!

10/10 as far as B movies go.

A great bad Movie

Author: Peter Balfe (pbalfe@iol.ie) from Ireland
24 August 1999

While out having a bit of a snog on the local make-out hill a young couple interrupt their passion just in time to see a huge shooting star fall to earth not far from them. Instead of getting back to a bit of tonsil tasting they decide to go have a look. What they find there will change their lives forever.............(or as long as they live which hopefully isn't that long at all) Oh what a joy this movie is. It has everything you would need to make it a classic horror movie, young people being killed, no one believing them and giant clowns with bright orange fringe hair turning everyone into candy floss (cotton candy for the americanised among us) and drinking their blood through big striped curly straws. They even have these groovy space guns which shoot out popcorn for some reason. The plot is very simple, giant alien Klowns come to town and try to kill everybody and only a group of young plucky students can save the world. Personally I was on the side of the Klowns here but I knew once I saw their big red noses where their vulnerable spot would be. WEAR NOSE PROTECTORS NEXT TIME GUYS! The Chido brothers, who produced this movie, obviously didn't have too much money to spend on it but what they did do was spend it well on the Killer Klown make up and special effects. Forget the plot, forget the characters just grab a couple of beers call some mates to come around and sit back and bask in the glory of the Killer Klowns From Outer Space

A Creative B-Movie

Author: Duzniak38 from Essex
3 August 2006

Killer Klowns from Outer Space is an unusual and inventive sci-fi B-Movie about Killer Klowns who invade a town and start viciously killing people. It's original plot and inventive ideas make this an enjoyable movie which doesn't take itself too seriously. Which genre it belongs in borderlines throughout the film. Soemtimes it is pure indulgent comedy, for example Killer Klowns running around with acidic ice-cream sundaes and popcorn ray guns, and wrapping people up in cotton candy cocoons and slurping their blood through twisty straws. But then it isn't really ideal for children and very sensitive viewers, as the added gore, the effectively scary Klown makeup and costuming, and the horrifying ideas make it hard to find it's target audience and definite genre. Most adults can enjoy this without being too grossed-out and scared. However it does stick in your mind, and the Klowns themselves are unnerving and horrific to look at. The goofiness of the story makes it great popcorn fun though, so just take it lightly and enjoy the combination of gore and comedy. The big colourful bright candylike sets and the fantastic Klown technology and surrealism adds more twist to the already freaky premise. The script and acting is just above average, with some good performance and memorable quotes and fun scenes. Killer Klowns from Outer Space is great popcorn-munchin' fun.

A bunch of aliens clowning around

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
10 April 2006

When it comes to silly movies, they don't get much sillier than this one. The title says it all, and its clear going into a movie called 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' that you're not exactly going to be in for a serious ride. To be honest, I can't say I was overly enthused with this Sci-Fi spoof, but it's not hard to see why it's got a cult following. The film takes in the idea of clowns being eerie and frightening, and fuses it with the common theme of aliens coming down from space; thus giving us aliens that look like clowns. For what it is, the film is actually quite inventive; and while much of the action is clichéd and/or samey, it's the little things that ensure it doesn't get boring. As mentioned, the plot follows aliens from space that look like clowns. When their spaceship (a tent) lands in the forest, two kids rush to the police headquarters to tell the law that their town is being invaded. If someone gave me that story, I'd definitely believe it; but the law in this town is slightly more sceptical, and while the kids aren't being believed; the clown population is growing.

One thing I do like about this movie is the special effects. Rather than simply having the clowns being played by men in make-up and baggy clothes, director Stephen Chiodo has opted to make actual suits for the villains. The special effects are a lot like those seen in Tim Burton's Beetlejuice in the same year, and bode well with this absurd plot line. The style of the movie is consistently clown themed, and parts of the film such as the climax on the alien spaceship look great. The acting is typical B-movie, but the movie does benefit from several good performers. The young cast perform well enough with energetic performances that, like the rest of the movie, aren't delivered too seriously; but the standout is veteran actor John Vernon, who is great in the role of the sceptic police officer. The 'horror' in this movie is hardly potent, as much of it is sapped out because of the fact that it's all a big joke - but ideas such as people being cocooned in candy floss or eaten up by a shadow puppet are surreally frightening. Overall, this isn't a favourite of mine; but it offers ninety minutes of good fun and there's no real reason to hate it.

Vastly entertaining horror comedy.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
28 May 2005

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space"(1988)by Stephen Chiodo is a horror movie so ridiculous that it's hard to dislike it.What makes it work so well is that it successfully toys with our expectations.Some people just hate clowns,and this movie exaggerates everything that makes them scary.The plot involves some really creepy aliens who look like clowns.They have come to our planet to turn people into food.The clowns capture their victims in cocoons made of cotton candy,their guns look like colorful toy pistols,their pies are acidic,their popcorns turn into snake-like creatures and their ship is a circus tent.Anyway,this crazy film is extremely entertaining.The make-up is beyond grotesque and the clowns look very creepy.The film received a cult status many years ago and it's easy to see why.So if you are a fan of twisted and bizarre horror films give this one a chance.8 out of 10.

Intentional camp that works

Author: Camera Obscura from The Dutch Mountains
5 March 2007

Seriously deranged stuff with a ridiculous premise of alien clowns setting up camp near a small town, abducting the local inhabitants and turning them into cotton candy and snacks. Any film with a title like this deserves this amount of attention and it's still a stellar cult favorite in the Midnight- and Bad Movie circuits. Most of the films intentionally made as bad movies or camp usually blow it (like most of Troma's disasters), but this is a surprisingly fun and good-natured homage to some silly sci-fi and horror classics of the fifties like FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956), INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) and THE BLOB (1958).

Our heroes are Debbie and Dave, two of your typical annoying eighties' youngsters with bad hairdos and less than impressive acting skills, trying to persuade the locals something's seriously wrong here. "Nobody stores Cotton Candy like this", observes Debbie when they enter the alien Klowns' circus tent. Smart girl, but how to get rid of these cosmic bozos. Now, clowns are plain creepy and evil. We all know that. Although the tone is generally tongue-in-cheek, the film does manage to throw in some genuine scares. The make-up fx are very impressive and when these Klowns are on the rampage, they are a seriously scary bunch. Undeniably a campy affair, with its truly off-the-wall premise, cheezy acting and predictable storyline, the whole film is laden with an irresistible charm, nicely complemented with a catchy theme song by cult punk band The Dickies, so eighties and so dated, it was already seriously out of fashion by the time the film was released. Cheezy fun all the way.

Camera Obscura --- 7/10

Cheesy and delicious

Author: morgan_mourning from United States
2 October 2006

This is one of my favorite movies. I never realized how funny the word "cocoons" could be until I watched this movie. :o) It's quite cheesy, but really, would that be a surprise to anyone? The movie is full of great one-liners and the Klowns are TOTALLY creepy! You sure do feel justified if you don't like clowns after watching this movie! "See?! I TOLD you clowns were evil!!" :o) Some of the effects are kind of...well, 80-ish, but hey, what do you expect? But like other B movie classics, this movie withstands the test of time. Between this, Clash of the Titans, and maybe even a little Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, you're set for a night of full blown cheese-o-rama! When it was released on DVD I snatched it right up! The DVD has some really great extras as well, so give it a shot! It's a great, goofy movie to watch...but maybe you want to hold off on the popcorn...

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]