IMDb > Johnny Be Good (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not that bad

Author: danluttrell2002 from United States
15 September 2006

Not the best movie I've ever seen but a good coming of age comedy. Repeat comedy. Some people might not like this movie but I thought it was good. If you like movies in general and can deal or like the 1980's and early 1990's era movies you'll enjoy this.

If you like the Breakfast Club or any of the Brat Pack era movies you'll like this. It also has some good football scenes but only a few short ones so those that hate football can manage through them.

Basically this movie is about college recruiting of a star high school football quarterback. He struggles with the moral question of does he go to the flashy money schools or the one where he might get an education. In the mean time his family, coach and friends all fall victim to college recruiters.

Not a good movie for young children due to sexual overtones, drinking, etc. Men and women should both enjoy this movie.

My favorite scene is early in the movie with Johnny in his room playing the drums with the TV and stereo going. I could really relate to this scene from my high school years. I measure movies by the question of, would I be disappointed if I had paid $10 to see it at the movie theater. This one exceeds the grade. Enjoy.

Fun 80's film, if you enjoy Hall and Downey, Jr having fun

Author: wally_g22 from United States
22 February 2006

One of my favs of all time. I enjoy it every time I watch it. No, it's not Oscar material, but it is fun. And it has Uma, who looks better in this movie than anything she has ever been in. If you looking for a serious movie dealing with college recruiting, then this is not for you..but it is entertaining to watch Downey and Hall act retarded, they're probably drunk the entire movie, but it is still fun..And Gleason is great as usual. He seems to still scenes in every movie he's in.. The strip club scene, which is cut out on TNT and comedy central is pretty good. Plus, it has a cameo by the punky QB..Lighten up. It's just a goofy 80's movie. Beside, Hall passed up on Farris Bueller and Full Metal Jacket for this..So it must be good, Right..

Great 80's Comedy

Author: Yzerdan16 from NJ
15 February 2003

I don't know why there are so many bad comments from people about this movie, I laugh through the entire movie. Robert Downey Jr. gives one his funniest performances I have ever seen as Hall's sidekick oddball friend and Anthony Michael Hall is surprisingly good at playing the "super-jock" role. Paul Gleason, the principal from The Breakfast Club, is hilarious as the high school coach trying to get a college job and Uma Thurman isn't bad as Hall's girlfriend. The best parts of the movie happen when Hall and Downey Jr. are interacting, and the joke they play on Gleason when he is home is so funny. Don't take this movie seriously, it's not intended to have any deep theoretical meaning; it's just supposed to make you laugh.

Are We Supposed to Feel Sorry For This Jerk? (SPOILERS)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
2 June 2004

There is so much wrong with Johnny Be Good, I can't believe there was one viewer that actually had something good to say about it. And I'm an idiot for having bought this garbage.

In short, the story goes like this. Senior football player is the highlight of recruiters all over, and they all want Johnny to play for their school. He spends time, though, going to two schools who promise the most crap--money, girls, beer, whatever he wants. His coach, on the other hand, is going to blackball him if Johnny doesn't go to the school that his coach tells him because he's expecting a coaching job out of it. Meanwhile, there's an NCAA investigation going on into recruitment procedures. Blah...blah...blah...Johnny realizes what a jerk he's been (in reality, I don't think a guy like that would ever say no to incredulous amounts of material pampering) and says no way. Then, he gets some sense. The end.

First of all, we have the lame story of some stud high school football player enjoying the cut throat recruitment of some hot shot colleges who promises every kind of material incentive to get him to go to school. Perhaps the film is making a valid point about the disgusting lengths colleges go to to get players on their team (a cost allocated to the rest of the students, no less). However, the movie, which plays out like a baffling unrealistic boyish fantasy of wild romps and beer busts, absorbs any sort of validity the story might have.

And my copy of the video is sure to notify viewers that more sexually suggestive footage had been added than was in the original release, like any of it is worth watching anyways.

Not only is the story boring watching Johnny Walker go from school to school to be pampered, but the "hero" of the story is unbearably obnoxious. It figures. Somewhere after his great performances in John Hughes's movies, Anthony Michael Hall seemed to turn into an unlikeable teenager, and one that never really looked like he enjoyed acting in any of the movies he was in (see Out of Bounds). Johnny Walker is some jerk kid who expects everyone to just fall in love with him. One of those characters where, no matter what he does, everything will work out his way. (Just look at the sequence where he takes revenge on his coach--what the hell are we supposed to make of that? Especially when everyone's attitude is so apathetic).

Robert Downey, Jr. is an even bigger waste, and also a confusion, babbling the most idiotic lines throughout the movie. He's hardly interesting, much less funny. And, Uma Thurman, who plays Johnny's girlfriend, Georgia, doesn't seem to get anything but crap from her boyfriend.

Johnny Walker epitomizes the kind of kids I hated in high school. Jocks who always got a free ride, and walked around with a holier than thou attitude like the rest of the world should kiss their feet because they knew how to toss around a football. And he's supposed to be our hero?

I can learn to like 80s teen trash, but this movie is just god awful.

Underrated 80's comedy

Author: stacekar from OR, United States
13 June 2009

I'm surprised at the negativity. It's a great dumb comedy with a tiny bit of morality thrown in. The recruitment tactics may not be an exaggeration of reality - trying to schmooze the all-American QB.

How is it possible that Yes Man averages a 7 out of 10 and this movie is a 4.? Yes Man was barely watchable.

The cast was perfect and the movie probably wouldn't have worked without them. Robert Downey Jr.'s character is so disturbed and hilarious. It seems to be a carryover from his role in Back to School. Which is another great 80's comedy. Uma Thurman is so cute in one of her first acting roles. Paul Gleason plays is a-hole character to perfection.

Maybe I am just old enough to still love the John Hughes-style high school comedies of the 1980's. This isn't the best of breed, but definitely worth enjoying.

Very good comedy movie

Author: utahman1971 from United States
12 February 2010

Its a little slapstick, but very good. Not perfect acting, but great movie. I have seen the Theater version PG-13, and the Video Rated R version. The theater one is just a cut scenes of the rated R version. It is about a high school quarterback that is very popular, and excellent at playing football in high school. He gets swamped of college recruiters trying to recruit him to play for them. It only shows him going to two colleges though.

While he is ditching his high school coach of visiting the colleges that the coach wants to be hired on as a coach for that college, Johnny is visiting other colleges. Johnny finds out that the coach made a deal with a college without his knowledge, and Johnny gets back at him. I say people that don't like this are either younger than the time that it was release or old, and hate football movies. Either way why did you rent or buy it then if you don't like those kind of movies? It is your fault, not anyone else.

I say watch this movie, but if your in those categories above said, then look elsewhere.

A comedy with some heart and a good message but gets hung up on frivolities

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
28 July 2014

Life lessons are not always the most prevalent in coming of age genre films. Sometimes they're real obvious, while others are more obscure and look to have their viewers find the deeper meaning themselves. It's also hard to say how significant a coming of age film can be when it is a Rated R comedy. Some have worked brilliantly - The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) is one. This on the other hand is a strange mix of elements that plays its cards right in some respects, while at other moments it's questionable to what the crew was thinking here. This is the story of Johnny Walker (Anthony Michael Hall), a high school athlete who has quite a fan club. After winning the last football game of the season (by cheating no less), Walker is approached by recruiter upon recruiter to play for their college team.

There are also other people who want Johnny to go with their opinion. Wayne Hisler (Paul Gleason), the high school coach wants him to attend a college of his choice so he can acquire special benefits and he'll do anything to make sure it happens. Johnny's mom and grandpa want him to get an education more than a sports scholarship and his girlfriend Georgia (Uma Thurman) wants him to attend State with her. So many opinions, which one will he choose?! Well, Johnny ends up attending mostly all of their open houses. This ends up having him being bribed with things that seem almost unrealistic or things that have nothing to do with getting an education or playing football. Of course fame grants several of these things but at a high school level? The kid and his team didn't even play fairly winning the last game so how does that even qualify? Are the refs that blind?

Plus, what's even more shocking is to how this production was able to gather now famous actors when they were starting off and the chemistry feels almost nonexistent. And, the screenplay was completed by three writers, all of which worked on Revenge of the Nerds (1984). How is that barely any charm are given to these characters? There are only a couple of moments that Johnny goes through that actually develop him as a character. Other than that he's placed in silly events that should trigger his conscience saying he shouldn't be there. The best parts of the film are when Johnny's family is on screen. Somehow they seem to have the best lines and character arcs. My favorite family member was the grandfather (George Hall). Such a nice old man.

Uma Thurman's character has a very typical character arc, loves her boyfriend - finds him as a jerk briefly - then resorts back to him. Possibly the strangest of all is Robert Downey Jr.'s character. Either he tries too hard to be funny or his jokes don't make any sense. It's baffling, I guess Downey Jr. didn't realize how much funnier he is when he says his lines deadpan than actually trying to be comical. Fans might also get a kick out of actor Marshal Bell's performance as Uma Thurman's dad, also the chief of police. He has some funny one liners at times too. All right enough of the characters. Jay Ferguson's music to the film is appropriately set but doesn't have anything to remember about it. Was it a comedy that had laughs galore? Not so much. Does it feel like a coming of age movie? Not really.

The cast contains famous actors of today in their youth and has a moral somewhere in its story but its delivery is overshadowed by hit and miss comedy. Much of the events that take place feel impossible too, decreasing its believability.

So Disappointing

Author: atlasmb from United States
3 September 2014

Just three years after "The Breakfast Club", this film reunites Michael Anthony Hall and Paul Gleason. It aims to achieve the irreverent humor of a film like "Stripes" combined with the titillation of "Porky's". Almost every character in this film is a caricature. You can tell a lot of people put a lot of work into this film, so where does it go wrong?

First, the film's primary story--about a football phenom who is unscrupulously recruited by every powerhouse program in the country--is a serious drag on the humor. There is nothing funny about the sacrifice of educational values to the football money machine.

Secondly, the film tries to include every standard feature of every youth comedy film--the clueless adults, the topless scenes, the humor centering on sex and alcohol--and in so doing, becomes a parody of itself.

I am deducting one point just for the colossal waste of talent.

Robert Downey Jr. is wasted here, playing the wacky sidekick. Uma Thurman's performance as the hometown girlfriend is lost in the silliness.

The entire film is predictable, sometimes cringe-worthy, and boring.

In a scene near the end of the film Hall, Downey and Thurman drive off in a convertible to begin their post-high school lives and there is a sense of what this film could have been: an interesting exploration of the lives of three kids who have issues to face and things to learn. It might even have been funny, too.

I don't get it

Author: mpisa77 from United States
6 January 2014

People are taking this movie way too seriously. This is a late 80s comedy, it's supposed to make you laugh I don't know why the people who have written reviews about this view this movie as if it was supposed to be a serious film with a heartwarming meaning behind it. It's like a "back to school" (and you'll find Robert Downey Juniors role pretty much like his role as "Max" in this film) users who wrote this long, drawn out, serious review of this film don't get these kind of films obviously. Come on people this is like a slapstick comedy and not meant to be taken seriously at all it's kind of like "The Breakfast Club" meets "Varsity Blues" and they added a little "Not Another Teen Movie" to it.. It's not that bad a movie.. That's all I can say. Enjoy

Good ol' boy comedy tailor-made for the emotionally-stunted...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
27 July 2011

Dreadful would-be vehicle for Anthony Michael Hall has a high school football star--unable to decide where he wants to play college ball--catered to by slavering University recruiters, each of whom are offering the kid a lucrative scholarship. What makes this young man so incredibly special? Judging from Hall's extra-bland demeanor, he certainly isn't capable of arousing a large crowd with his enthusiasm for the sport. The three screenwriters (who also served as co-producers!) do charmless work; they cannot wait to get the leading character out of town in order to incorporate wild parties and strip-joints into the mix. The raunch is most likely what sold the movie to Orion Pictures, who were obviously hoping to tap into the then-popular John Hughes market (the company later added more sex to the home-video version after the film did modest business in theaters). Unfortunately, writers Steve Zacharias, Jeff Buhai, and David Obst show absolutely none of Hughes' comic sensibility or sensitivity, and director Bud Smith directs with a leaden touch. True to form in '80s teen flicks, all the adults are ignorant, money-grubbing whores while our well-scrubbed hero stands head-and-shoulders above the chaos. Sports announcer Howard Cosell and real-life athletes make cameos, Uma Thurman is attractive in one of her earliest roles, but Hall and smutty buddy Robert Downey Jr. are one-dimensional. * from ****

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]