IMDb > I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A Wacky Movie

Author: jmcool5164 from Any Ghetto, U.S.A
25 July 2000

"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" is a blast! Keenan Ivory Wayans wrote, directed, and starred in this spoof of blaxploitation movies and I've got to say, He did a very accurate job. This is REALLY how blaxploitation movies look and feel like, right down to the huge hats. The funniest part in the movie is when the nightclub singer is singing...Oh, Can't spoil a joke. Or when the Youth Gang Competition...Can't spoil that either. Even as a bonus, Isaac "Wrote Best Movie Song on Earth" Hayes is in the movie and the "Shaft" theme gets played!!!!! TWICE!!!!!! So Jump in Your Car, Drive to a video store and rent it. If they don't have it, than steal it from the guy who rented it! **** out of ****

By far the best thing the Wayans brothers ever did

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
29 December 2005

If you know Keenen Ivory Wayans and Damon Wayans ONLY for their TV work or movies such as Major Payne or Scary Movie, then you have only seen them at their most mediocre. Unlike these other works, the jokes are not are consistently funny.

The film is a very funny send-off of the terrible Blaxploitation films of the 70s. The jokes come one after another after another and very few of them miss the mark. It is pure mindless fun from start to finish. Additionally, many old stars of the genre are here, though I might have enjoyed seeing a few more of them.

One word of warning though: if you are a die-hard, bleeding-heart, politically correct individual, this movie MIGHT give you a heart attack! We showed this movie to such a friend and we eventually had to turn off the video because she was having heart palpitations! But, for everyone else, this is a hilarious film. Also, it may help to try watching a couple Blaxploitation films FIRST to help you understand the parody better.

FYI--Because of the language and brief nudity, this is not a film for the kids. My advice to parents is to watch the film secretly and then feign shock when your kids ask to see it! When the kids are at least teens, then it's probably okay to let them know the truth--that this is a great little comedy.

A hilarious parody of the seventies "black" exploitation cinema.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
18 August 2005

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) was Keenan Ivory Wayans directorial debut. He also wrote and stars in this production. Keenan stars as Jack Spade an ex-veteran who returns home after a stint in the army. The death of his younger brother June-Bug Spade and the vicious "assault" on his mother by two local thugs (Damon Wayans and Kardeem Hardison) causes Jack to wage war on the criminal elements in his neighborhood. But he's going to need help toppling the evil Mister Big (John Vernon). So he enlists the help of the former local crime fighter Slade (Bernie Casey) and his co-horts Hammer, Slammer and Kung-Fu Joe (Jim Brown, Issac Hayes and Steven James). Will these vigilantes be enough to end the crime spree of Mister Big?

A flat out funny film from Keenan Ivory Wayans. Not only did this film jump start all of these older actors careers, but it was popular enough to warrant a series pilot (a t.v. remake of this film called Slade, Hammer and Slammer) and it helped the Wayans create another show for Fox called In Living Color. The rest is history.

Highly recommended.

Not Much I can Say that Hasn't been Said....

Author: trichenyc from New York City
13 November 2005

In all the other post about this incredible classic comedy, but after reading everyone's favorite parts, I can't believe that NO ONE mentioned Anne Marie Johnsons part as the disassembling slut.

Along with the broken pimped-out shoes, Here are my favorite scenes:

The Pimp of the Year award.

One rib. ("I sure am hungry").

NOoooooo!!Cramps!!.

The demonic woman starting her period.

The Stairs or the window.

OH Damn, let's just say this is one of my all time favorite comedies. Keenan Wayans freshman venture into directing was among his best.

one of the most funniest black plortation films

Author: bud1 from sasse
3 July 2002

I can remember when I was young and I watch this movie. It was a very funny film, but after a couple years later is when really watched this movie and really understood it. Thats when I really enjoyed it. the Wayans brothers scary movies of today didn't have anything on there older brother movie back then. Issac Hays & Jim Brown were really funny as Hammer & Slammer. flyguy, kung fu joe and the rest of the caracters in the film will keep you laughing. I rate this movie a 10/10 and it will always be on of my favorite black plortation films.

this one will split your sides!

Author: maurice blackman from United Kingdom
24 January 2007

There are no words to describe just how amazing this film is. It salutes respectfully the blaxploitation era and the actors, with a clever hint of satire ( whereby the baddie is a White rich man, keeping black people down..) but most importantly it has the best jokes I have ever seen - just remembering Issac Hayes putting all those guns in his pockets then tripping and being shot to death by ALL his own guns, brings a tear to my eye. Fantastic.

Please go see this film, I just happened to perchance the film, with my Mum and brother late one night on TV, and I really wanna buy it, but I don't know where it would still sell.If anyone does know please post it in the comments.

Cheers

That's the Shakespere!!!!!

Author: Alex Legg (Cyclops-13) from Topeka, KS
7 September 2000

Where do you begin with this film. It had so much that was hilarious that I don't know where to begin. One of my all time favorite scenes is when they mock the stunt doubles and you have Jack Spade's mother who is about to beat up some thugs. She turns around and then suddenly the camera cuts from a black lady to a white male with a mustache and afro wig wearing the same clothes she is wearing, he does some back flips and then beats up the thugs. Then when the stuntman turns around, it's back to the actress playing Spade's Mother. I loved it.

If you don't see this movie it is a shame. Wayans did a wonderful job mocking the ridiculous exploitation movies of the seventies. The cost of the rental alone is worth watching the scene where the guy gets out of prison, and he has been incarcerated for so long that his clothes are out of style. You'll love the Pimp of the Year contest, Kung Fu Joe, the Big Brim Bar, Soul Train, Hammer, Slammer, Slade and Flyguy. The movie was a blast and you'll roll on the floor in hysteria watching as Ann Marie Johnson reveals her flaws to Jack Spade.

Rent this movie. You'll love it.

HaHaHa,Gasp! Wheeze!hahahahaha

Author: sweetty0924 (sweetty0924@aol.com) from MD, USA
8 February 2002

I really feel sorry for those who don't "get" this movie. I believe that it is the best of the parody genre, I've ever seen. I stoically believe in my critique because I've seen every movie that "Sucka" parodied. I grew up watching blaxploitation films. They were being cranked out at blinding speed at that time, and the highlight of my circle of friends, was planning our Friday nights around the premieres and plotting which "superfine" guy with the biggest Afro would take us out. I was in junior high school and life was good. Fast-forward 15 years to 1988 (I saw this film for the first time in the year of its release), where my memories were jumpstarted and slapped into a frenzy of flashbacks. Recalling particular scenes of movies that at the tender age of 14 I had taken seriously, and now saw how funny and ridiculous they were. For example: the demonic PMS scene was reminiscent of "Abby",our version of The Exorcist, or Kung Fu Joe spoofing "Three The Hard Way". Wayans spoofery of those films along with the then-timely use of 'truck jewelry' as an inciting incident in this film was much too much for me to take. I laughed till I had to take a puff from my inhaler (and I don't even have asthma!)I'm sure this film will seem funny to those who never experienced the blaxploitation scene from its inception. But for those who did, you will laugh yo'ass off, you jive-turkey,you! P.S.A recent viewing of this film gave me the idea to have what we call '70's parties. We now dress up twice a year with all the Afro wigs, white lipstick, and crocheted mini's we can find. We have a blast and quote some of the worst dialogue ever written. Who says movies aren't inspirational?

Hilarious send-off to Blaxploitation flicks

Author: Newsense from United States
12 January 2009

Back when spoof movies were actually funny, there was this clever spoof of blaxploitation movies called Im Gonna Git You Sucka. At the time the Wayans brothers were starting to emerge on the scene and this movie was their best work(Don't Be A Menace comes in second). The whole movie was Jack(played by Keenan Ivory Wayans)returns home from the service to find out that his brother passed on. He finds out that his brother worked for Mr. Big and sets out to deal with him and his cronies with the help on Jack Slade and crew others. There are too many funny scenes in this movie but the girl at the club(played by the gorgeous Anne Marie Johnson) removing her hair, leg, and butt was the funniest scene in the movie. Jack's mom(played by Janet Du'bois of Good Times) beating up on Mr Big's goons comes in second. Damon Wayons and Kadeem Hardison were hilarious too as Mr. Big's bumbling henchmen. I think Antonio Fargas's Fly Guy coming out of jail wearing fishbowls in his platform shoes was a riot too. And the scene where Richard Roundtree's character had the swollen bunions.....classic! Im Gonna Git You Sucka came out at a time when you can expect a good spoof and today stands out as one of the funniest spoofs in parody movie history. If you're looking for a good spoof you cant go wrong with this one. Two thumbs WAY up.

Silly but fun

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
3 September 2006

Spoof on the blaxplotation films of the 1970s. Starts right off in "Any Ghetto U.S.A." where a young black man has died of O.G. (overabundance of gold chains). His brother Jack (Keenan Ivory Wayans) comes home from the army to find the people who "hooked his brother on gold". With a couple of older black men (all from the 1970s films) they decide to clean up the town.

Now it sounds pretty stupid--but it actually works. There are some real bad jokes but the good ones outnumber those vastly. The whole cast plays it straight with plenty of small roles or cameos from veteran 1970s actors. You don't have to know the old films to enjoy this but it does help a few times. It's really good to see Antonio Fargas back in a film making fun of his 1970s image. John Vernoon (Dean Wormer from "Animal House") is also lots of fun as Mr. Big. And Ja'net DuBois is hysterical as Jack's overprotective mother. And--since this is directed by Keenan Ivory Wayans--most of his family shows up in small roles. Sure it's silly and stupid but also very funny. Turn off your brain and enjoy! By far the best thing the Wayans have ever done.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]