IMDb > Hot to Trot (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hot to Trot

Hot to Trot More at IMDbPro »

you get what you came for...

Author: (dystempted@hotmail.com) from new jersey, usa
22 July 2003

why anyone would choose to watch this movie and then turn around and complain about how awful it is baffles me. you're given a silly title, Hot to Trot, Bobcat Goldthwait as a star, and a blurb mentioning a talking horse. how could this movie NOT be utterly stupid? of COURSE it is stupid! and that's why it's great! sure, the jokes are juvenile and rather stupid, though in my opinion there are a few zingers in there (how is a three-stoogie horse humping a Volvo NOT funny?) but sometimes that's what you want to watch: utter stupidity. this movie succeeds as a brainless comedy with easy to grasp humor and blatant...stupidity! i sincerely doubt it ever tried to be more than just that. so, for what it is, it's a huge success, and if you want to sit back and not think and enjoy an 80s flavored 80 minutes with a talking horse and an annoying guy whose jockey pants are too tight, then by all means, i highly highly recommend this movie. if you're too uptight to relax and enjoy it on some level, then yeah, skip it. i've personally seen it at least 20 times since it opened in theaters when i was 9 years old, it's in my video collection and a favorite to pop in when i'm sick, cleaning or trying to get someone to laugh and feel silly, and yeah it sits surrounded by films by the likes of Wim Wenders and Jeunet, above The Seventh Seal and to the right of Dr. Strangelove.

Talking horses rule!

Author: zach-151 from United States
29 June 2006

It just gets funnier, every time I see it! The cultural subtext is genius. Bobcat is the idealistic misfit from a previous generation wandering lost through the 80's as yuppy Republicans seize control of America. A talking horse is just as reliable as any "stock" expert at picking winning stocks. It shows the utter ridiculousness of that profession. The cartoonish nature of the movie represents the cynical rejection of reality espoused by punk rock and other revolutionary movements of the time. I guess you just had to be there to understand it. Today, greedy corporate types have so subsumed this country that it is difficult to remember a time when they did not dominate. This movie brilliantly illustrates the culture clash that was occurring at that time. Vietnam and Watergate elevated protest to an art form, especially the DaDa, surrealist, mocking the system type of commentary.

If you liked Seabiscuit, you'll love Hot to Trot

Author: makeham98 from Greencastle, IN
12 August 2003

Seabiscuit is actually based on this masterwork. "The horse that couldn't win".... yep, that was Don before it was Seabiscuit... "The jockey no one wanted".... Goldthwait long before Tobey... "The obnoxious outsider owner"... Bobcat again. The big climactic race... yes, Seabiscuit fans, you HAVE seen it all before.

Hot to Trot was a film before its time. Dabney Coleman's performance is magical. Virginia Madsen's best performance where she kept her clothes on. And Candy is a master of horse dialects.

Two hoofs up! Ten stars! Fabulous! Mucilage!

still funny, still laughing...

Author: FOMOR from USA
11 September 2004

Just watched it again for about the third time. Yep, it's similar to Mr. Ed, but if you check your movie history, most of the movie releases are clones to what's been done; just a little twist here and there. Animal movies have proven themselves over and over again to be winners. This one's no different. If you're not an old-fart yet, you got at least one more hilarious flick to see. Thank God I'm open minded, not high-strung, nor hanging on too tight to appreciate this side-splitter. It's FUNNY!! Even if you don't get a laugh out of it, you'll at least get to watch Virginia Madsen strut her stuff. Relax with a drink and a snack, give it a look and laugh yourself light-headed!!!

Hot to Trot indeed!

Author: Ragen (nsugrad00@excite.com) from Oklahoma
11 December 2001

I loved this movie....it's one of the funniest movies ever. Sure, it's probably one of the worst movies ever at the same time. But, this movie makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Bobcat, though annoying at times, is hilarious. John Candy is excellent as the voice of Don the Horse.

This is hilarious!!

Author: SkippyDevereaux from Parkersburg, West Virginia
23 November 2001

I must have seen a different movie from all the other commenters, because this is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. John Candy, even though only his voice is used, steals the film!! The funniest part is when "Don, the horse" is feeling lonely and some animals invade the apartment and have a party and destroy the apartment in the process!! I admit, I was one of the ones who voted this a 10!! LOL. It is a funny film!!

Great Comedy On Par With The Classics

Author: Fred Durst from United States
22 October 2009

I wish I still had this movie, I sold it but had watched it a lot back in the day. It has everything a good old Jerry Lewis movie would have. Bobcat's "character" is a combination of his old crazy Police Academy self, and a new sort of guy that wants to fit in and make it in society. There's a lot of great characters in this. Although it's predictable, the execution makes it worth the ride every time. It's not "viral" or anything. It's a hidden gem for people who appreciate the classics but also like it when things just get outright silly. The unexplained things that get written in to this kind of comedy make it what it is. This isn't going to impress any snobs who have never farted or talked in a funny voice. But it doesn't rely on toilet humor either. It's just right.

Someone owes me 80 minutes of my life because of this movie!

Author: Momcat_of_Lomita from United States
3 March 2011

I was dragged to see this movie by a friend who trains Standardbred racehorses. All she knew about it was the title and the fact that it was about a Standardbred racehorse. I think she envisioned something along the lines of "The Black Stallion" or "National Velvet" or "Misty of Chincoteague" or something.

"Who is Bobcat Goldthwait?" she asked me. I didn't know.

Well, by the end of the movie we knew: Bobcat Goldthwait is the most annoying stupid awful rotten bad comedic would-be actor we'd ever seen. He's a warning to potential moviegoers: if you see his name associated with a movie in ANY capacity, avoid, avoid! This movie is not about Standardbred horses or horse racing. It is not about anything that any sensible sentient intelligent person can make any sense about. It purports to be a comedy, but it's so far from funny that it's almost an anti-comedy.

And Goldthwait... my god, is it possible for any human being anywhere to deliberately contrive a more whiny, affected, unintelligible voice and persona? My friend and I both wanted to slap him. Wanted?!? I mean we still want to slap him, even years after we saw this mess! Given how much money that it costs to make a movie, the question my friend and I both had when we left the theater was: how on earth did this movie get green-lighted, and should people who waste money making garbage like this be allowed out without a keeper? (Our answer was "NO!") See this movie at your own peril. You'll emerge from watching it numb with boredom, dazed and confused, and with the agony of Goldthwait's voice ringing in your ears for hours afterwards.

Better yet, if anyone suggests you see this mess, jump up and knock them unconscious and lock them up for their own protection. They need HELP.

SO FUNNY!

Author: amichives from Vancouver, Canada
4 February 2003

Okay, this movie is damn funny. How could you not laugh at Bobcat Golthwait? With a voice like that? Come on, it's nothing but comic genius! Seriously, I first saw this movie when I was about 6 and have loved it ever since. If you enjoy comedies aimed at adult audiences that in effect appeal to six year olds, this film is definitely for you. (it may also fall into that category of "this movie is so bad you have to check it out just to believe that somebody agreed to make it..." also in this category: "Eating Raoul", the early Val Kilmer gem "Real Genius", "Killer Klowns From Outer Space", "Big Momma's House", the list is neverending)

Marxist Farce

Author: moviefreakjps from Atlanta, GA
24 April 2014

People may think I am crazy, but I feel like if they didn't have the talking animals (well, any animals at all), it would serve as a great satire. See, you have Dabney Coleman, which many remember as the boss in 9 to 5. In the 80s, he served as a face to the ruling class. His character, Walter, is the boss. Then comes Bobcat Goldthwait's character, Fred. Fred gets an inheritance of many shares of the company. Walter thinks Fred, the face of the proletariat, is dumb enough to make an offer of, like, $50 for all the shares that would be worth millions. So, yeah, without the animals this would make for great satire. (All of the above is not at all spoiling anything. All happen towards the very beginning.)