IMDb > Homeboy (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Homeboy

Homeboy More at IMDbPro »

A great boxing film with emotion that rivals that of Raging Bull's.

Author: gareth_mathias88-1 from United Kingdom
2 December 2005

Homeboy is a fantastic film. Not only is it one of my favourite boxing films, it is also one of my favourite films in general. It is about Johnny Walker, a down-and out boxer who has just recently moved into a sea-side resort. Upon arriving, he falls in love with Ruby, a carnival owner who shares a lot in common with Johnny, who it appears Johnny is fighting for.

Johnny, who is played by Mickey Rourke, also befriends Wesley Pendergrass (Christopher Walken). Wesley and Johnny form a strong friendship, and it's Rourke's idolisation of Wesley that intriges me. Wesley wants to use Johnny, and half-way through the film he asks Johnny for a favour. Johnny has to choose between the love of Ruby (Debra Feuer)or the friendship of Wesley.

Rourke and Walken give excellent performances and Debra Feur gives quite an exceptional performances as well. The music, by Eric Clapton, provides the film with deep emotion.

People have slated this film and I really cannot see why. I give this film 10/10.

Another great Mick flick.

Author: pizowell
19 August 2001

In homeboy which Mick wrote, he plays a 2nd rate boxer who'll never run with the big boys because he is undisciplined and a alcoholic. Soon Mick befriends Wesley(Walken) a thief and falls in love with a beautiful carnival owner Ruby (Feuer). Homeboy is a dreary little gem with quirky performances from the leads and also shows that Mick has a soft side. A must for all Mick fans. Check it out!

Haunting musical score emphasizes old-fashioned story

Author: sherrillita from usa
15 September 2001

Rourke's Homeboy is accentuated with an excellent musical score. The story might appear "old fashioned" (i.e. 1940's US) to some, but watch the movie again and delve deeper - there is more than first meets the eye. Rourke's shy, awkward Johnny Walker is a memorable character. Walken fans shouldn't miss this one.

A truly haunting and underrated film!

Author: TheHardTarget6 from United States
30 May 2007

Homeboy is a haunting and outstanding drama. Micket Rourke turns in an amazing performance as Johnny Walker and Christopher Walken's role is memorable. The film's soundtrack is excellent. The plot revolves around Johnny Walker, a down and out, aged boxer who falls for a girl and has hopes of making it big. Johnny meets Walken's character who trys to get Walker into some bad things. The film is depressing and hopeful. It is very sad at parts but the film really is amazing. You must read under the surface of things. A must see for Rourke fans!!! The acting is excellent but I feel the film could have been better if there was more emphasis on things.

Rourke evokes an unforgettable character

Author: pocomarc from United States
24 February 2007

Mickey Rourke plays a not too bright guy who boxes and has observable nervous system damage, which shows in the way he walks and holds his face. He does a terrific job in this role.

The scenes with Rourke and the beautiful carnival girl are touching.

He comes to her aid when she is being harassed by some punks. Later when they are walking together she asks him why he turns his face away as they walk and he says that is because his face looks funny. "No," she tells him. "I like it."

The recurring scene in the gym where the white and black trainer play checkers and the old black trainer keeps asking in puzzlement, "What color am I?" (checker piece color) is a classic. The white trainer and checker opponent tells him each time with a kindly smile, "You're black."

Christopher Walken evokes a disgusting character in the form of the jerk and criminal the Rourke character looks up to. Walken sees a use for Rourke in his own scumbag plans and "befriends" Rourke.

In the course of their contact Rourke asks two questions based on conversation going on around him in an attempt to learn something beyond beyond his own limited world,

1--"What's Granny Smith?"

2--"What's Jewish?"

The character Rourke evokes is one of the most sympathetic figures in any movie-- one who is not at all swift mentally, physically damaged, yet brave and good hearted.

In his physical condition the Rourke character should never have had the fight he did at the end of the movie.

I didn't realize Rourke also wrote this movie. My hat is off to him here. The scenes between him and the carnival girl are among the most touching I have seen.

Powerful Nuanced Film

Author: Blackshotink from United States
7 December 2007

A lot can be written about the derailing of Mickey Rourke's career... But when reflecting on the the reasons he achieved such recognition to begin with... One has to review Homeboy. The man had real talent as an actor and it is a shame that he is more remembered for phoned in performances than the highlights. Homeboy is one of the highlights. A very complete method performance that regardless of commercial stereotypes stays true to the characters created and the world they're in.

This is a real picture of a fighter way past his prime who gets a second chance at inspiration. But this is not the Rocky world where a theme song and a jog around the park give the character new life. This is a real character at the bottom of the bucket trying to reach up. And the mistakes of a lifetime are not easily overcome in this film.

Also Alan Parker's longtime cinematographer Michael Serensin makes his directing debut. Sadly it also ends his directing career. But the screen is always wonderfully alive under his direction both gritty and flashy in unison.

The support cast is wonderfully strong including one of the best minor support roles Christopher Walken has ever delivered.

I highly recommend this film for fans of smaller unconventional character dramas. If you want stereotypes... watch something else.

A fighter realizes the "Homeboy" has the advantage.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
25 December 2009

I absolutely liked this movie of a cowboy pugilist that has taken too many hits to the head, but doesn't realize it. Written and starring Mickey Rourke, who is about 26 and in damn good shape. He gets credit of writing the screenplay under the alias of 'Sir' Eddie Cook. Rourke plays Johnny Walker, a quirky cowboy boxer that doesn't want to face the fact he is probably just past his prime; but he can still come up with a devastating knock-out punch. He is given one last shot at a big purse fight in Asbury Park, New Jersey. Along the way, the slow-witted Walker falls in a trap set by a smooth talking hood Wesley Pendergrass(Christopher Walken). Johnny finds himself in a pickle when he wants to help a young woman(Debra Feuer)save her financially strapped sea shore arcade; being hoodwinked in helping con-man Wesley pull off a jewelry heist; or get back in the ring despite being told one blow to his temple bone could possibly cause his head to explode.

Rourke and Walken are beyond a doubt outstanding. You just can't help but want to cheer on Johnny Walker. Others in a crowded cast: Thomas Quinn, Jon Polito, Matthew Lewis, Dondre Whitfield, Anthony Alda, Jeanne Daly and Ruben Blades.

Gritty character study of losers .........

Author: merklekranz from United States
5 November 2009

Though there certainly are enough fight scenes to call this a boxing film, it is more of a slowly evolving study of some interesting, but loser-type characters. Do not expect "Rocky" and you just might enjoy "Homeboy". Eric Clapton's music adds immeasurably, and the acting is solid. Christopher Walken and Mickey Rourke carry the movie. The love interest, Debra Feuer, is quite unremarkable. I liked it, some may think it is too slow moving, but that is sometimes a price worth paying, for strong character development. There is a message here to believe in yourself, no matter what the odds against you. Recommended. - MERK

Somewhat offbeat boxing drama.

Author: fedor8 from Serbia
31 December 2007

There are two things going for this movie: the weird but entertaining way in which Rourke (pre-Elephant Man phase) plays the borderline retarded boxer, and the very pleasant, suitable, somewhat bluesy music score. (Eric Clapton can be useful only when he plays other people's music.) The story, allegedly written by Rourke(?!), is all over the place. There isn't much plot here; mainly a series of scenes of how a strange cowboy-looking boxer from another dimension interacts with other people. Fairly original.

The girl's (love interest) character is simple enough, Rourke's is weird, as mentioned, while Walken's makes less sense. The movie seemed to be heading toward a simultaneous double-death finale, but I guess the producers or the movie company must have insisted (?) Rourke survive the boxing bout so as to avoid a tearjerker ending. The movie has that typical ugly late 80s look.

Overall, the first half is stronger than the second - which drifts a little more into clichés. I like the way the world is occasionally shown through Rourke's very blurred vision and impaired hearing.

If Rourke really did write this, then I guess he isn't quite as thick as I thought he was.

looking for homeboy

Author: patrizia0814 from United States
20 December 2006

Back in 1988 I was called in by a modeling agency to try out for a part in the movie Homeboy. I did not even know who Mickey Rourke was at that time. As I stood on the sidewalk waiting for direction, Christopher Walken walked up dressed in a policeman's uniform (which was weird because he didn't play a cop in the movie) and offered me a cup of coffee. I was chosen to do the opening scene for the bar, (legs walking with black lace)I also got to be in the scene where everyone is hanging out around the bar as Mickey dances on top of the with the black chick. I previously owned two copies of the movie but due to a fire I lost both copies and am now looking to purchase a copy to have to give to my daughter and my grandchildren. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a copy?