Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Yes, 'tis true! Michael is back! And he wants revenge for his death! Huh?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
21 October 2004

After the failure that was the 3rd Halloween sequel, the writers knew that was mainly due to the absence of Michael Myers. So what did they do? They invited Michael back in for the 4th sequel and back into the story of Halloween. Even though I did enjoy the 3rd sequel, I do agree that I missed Michael. He's my favorite boogeyman, so it'd be cool to see him return and do what he does best, slice and dice and scare the heck out of me. Well is this really scary? Not too much, but still it's a fun sequel to get into and watch in the dark. I like the story and how they are continuing into the Myer's past and how far Michael will go to destroy this blood line. Although I was disappointed to not have Laurie Strode in this one, it was interesting to see how her legacy lives on with her daughter and now she will have the struggle with Michael Myers.

Michael Myers has been in a coma for ten years, when his massacre was stopped by Dr. Samuel J. Loomis and Laurie Strode. Myers is being transferred from Ridgemont Federal Sanitarium to Smith's Grove Sanitarium. He awakens when he hears that Laurie Strode, his sister, is deceased, but her daughter, Jamie Lloyd is alive and well in Haddonfield. He kills the ambulance crew and escapes. Dr. Loomis races to Haddonfield in an attempt to bring Myers' killing spree to an end once and for all. In Haddonfield, his niece Jamie Lloyd, has been adopted by the Carruthers family. She has frequent nightmares about Michael, though she does not know who he is. On Halloween night, Jamie goes out trick-or-treating dressed as a clown with her teenage foster sister Rachel. Her uncle, Michael, follows them. Meanwhile, Loomis arrives in Haddonfield after an exhausting journey, and contacts the police department to inform them of Myers' escape. He and Haddonfield's new Sheriff Ben Meeker begin to search the town for Michael and Jamie. Myers has also blacked out the town's electricity by throwing a technician onto a electrical box and singlehandedly annihilated the entire police force. The girls barricade themselves in the Sheriff's house, while awaiting the arrival of the state police where Michael follows them and you'll have to see the movie to see the exciting conclusion.

So over all Halloween 4 is a good sequel, it's not the strongest in the series, but it's one of the better stories of the franchise. I do like Jamie Lloyd, she was an interesting addition to the story and the writers are making these movies very interesting. I'm glad they brought Dr. Loomis back in, it brings us back into the original Halloween and he'll never give up until Michael Myers is gone for good, which we know is not going to happen since we still have 4 more sequels after this one. But the 4th installment into the Halloween franchise is a good one so I do recommend that you see it if you get the chance.

what a return it is

Author: MichaelM24 from California
29 June 2001

After a seven year absence from the screen, Michael Myers returns. Set ten years after the first two films (#2 was filmed in 1981, but set immediately after #1 in 1978), THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS opens with the infamous killer being transfered between psyhiciatric hospitals. Naturally, he escapes, and, tipped off that he has a niece (daugther of the now-deceased Jamie Lee Curtis character) living in Haddonfield, sets out to find her. Hot on his trail, as always, is Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasence). After some were turned off by the more-gruesome deaths in HALLOWEEN 2, this film is more in-line with the original, relying more heavily on suspense and honest scares than blood and gore. For a nine-year-old, Harris delivers a good performance, and Donald Pleasence (as usual) is also good, with a performance that lets you know this is a been-there-don't-want-to-go-through-that-again character. Director Dwight H. Little brings a sense of atmosphere to the film and creates a number of suspenseful scenes. Thankfully, the make-shirt mob of gun-toting beer-guzzlers isn't as bad as it could have been. HALLOWEEN 4 is one of the best of the series.

Not bad . . .

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
2 December 2003

. . . considering Halloween 4 came some eight years after the previous Myers-inclusive Halloween, considering Carpenter had even less influence, considering the plot took a slightly different direction, considering most other franchises really suck before they even get to 3 sequels.

The problem I have with most horror sequels is the fact it switches over to new characters every film, and none of the characters really get much sympathy. I dunno if I ever cared about anyone in Friday the 13th. But in the Halloweens (1,2,4,and 5), they've always taken the time to get to know the main characters first and stick with them for at least one sequel. Also in Halloween, we had a staple character besides Myers - Donald Pleasence - who returned to battle Myers every time until his untimely death.

I really liked the Jamie Lloyd character (I mean, getting decent actors in horror is difficult enough, but getting a good child actor in horror? Look at Child's Play! We struck gold with Danielle), her storyline, and the rest of the new characters for Michael to stalk. Oh yes, and of course, Donald Pleasence.

Alan Howarth parts with Carpenter, and takes the score solo, playing some fun twists to the main Halloween and the stalking theme, giving Jamie a theme appropriately derivative of Laurie's theme and intermingling all the themes in various places for an original sound with music that's been with us for 2 movies now.

Hopefully the viewer won't remember the end of Halloween 2 well enough to recall Laurie shooting Michael's eyes out, and him stumbling around slicing blindly as blood ran down his mask--wait, this is horror, everyone's accustomed to inconsistency with horror. Nevermind. Besides, compared to the plot holes of Curse of Michael Myers and then H20 neglecting Halloween 4 & 5, who cares about that minor detail.

Despite the new look, new characters, new tweaks, Halloween 4 can't escape the fact that it is a sequel slasher and so despite everything that's new (that works) . . . it's all the same. That's where my problem with the film lay, and that's why I can't rank this up there with some of my favorite horror films of all time. It's a good Halloween sequel, but there are better, more original films, within this series and especially in other series. Oh well.

I Can say It Scared Me...and it was good

Author: Devil_Boy_80 from Australia
18 June 2005

Well after that disgusting piece of filth called Halloween 3...we go back to the original story of Michael Myers and Haddonfield.

Halloween 4 really took a step forward....and it scared me. the acting with "Most" actors was good, Donald Pleasence as Dr Loomis was perfect as usual and Danielle Harris as Michael's Niece Jamie was very good and Ellie Cornell as Rachael Corruthers was also very good.

They Original score was good but i believe i think they re-did it...Michael also did some good stylish murders in this one the only thing that disappointed me was the mask probably my least favorite mask in the series. Halloween 4 is worth watching so either buy it or rent it....now! Halloween 4 Is my fourth Favourite Halloween Film

A solid slasher.

Author: G.Spider
17 November 1999

It is ten years after Michael Myers escaped from the psychiatric clinic and went on the rampage and he has been in a coma ever since being burnt at the end of Halloween 2. But one of the ambulance drivers transporting him somewhere lets slip that he has a niece in Haddonfield and before you know it he's making his way back there.

Myers has become seemingly indestructable by now. He was seen emerging from a hospital as a human fireball at the end of art 2 and yet he seems to have escaped more or less unscathed. And howcome he can see anything when he was blinded in Part 2 just before being roasted alive?

However, if you overlook these points you'll find this is an entertaining and well-made film. Dr Loomis returns to Haddonfield after his ex-patient, played by Donald Pleasance at his best, and there are plenty of interesting characters and situations.

One of the better of the Halloween series, certainly much more worthwhile than the dismal Halloween 5 or most of the repetative Friday the 13th films.

One of the Best Sequels in the Series

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
31 October 2003

"Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" gets the franchise gets back on its feet after a disappointing part 3 with probably the best entry save the original.

**SPOILERS**

Michael Myers breaks out of Ridgemont Psychiatric Hospital and heading off to Haddonfield, where his target now is Laurie Strode's daughter, Jaime (Danielle Harris) is now living with the Corruther's, Mom (Karen Alston), Dad (Jeff Olson) and daughter Rachel (Ellie Cornel). Jaime is plagued by nightmares of her uncle, Michael Myers, despite constant reminders that he is dead. When Myers escapes, Dr. Loomis goes out on the hunt and nearly gets fried by Myers at a rural gas station. Back in Haddonfield, Jaime is out trick-or-treating when suddenly Myers attacks, forcing Loomis and the police, led by Sheriff Meeker (Beau Starr), to intervene. They back to the sheriff's house, where his daughter Kelly, (Kathleen Kinmont) is getting it on with Rachel's boyfriend, Brady (Sasha Jenson). With Loomis out searching the neighborhood and Meeker investigating a local posse report, the rest turn the house in a fortress and prepare to defend it against Myers. He still breaks into the house and kills all but Rachel and Jaime. They escape, but Rachel is seriously hurt in the process. Loomis returns and finds Jaime running alone from Myers. They go to her school, where now Loomis is hurt by the invading Myers. Rachel returns and halts Myers momentarily and escapes with the posse. Heading out of town, Myers returns and kills the posse, and is then blown into a mineshaft by the police at the last minute. They return home, and meet with a striking case of déjà vu.

The Good News: What an ending! That was easily the highlight of this fast-paced entry. It set up the premise of part five and got the last great moment of the movie. By now, Myers had become very Jason Voorhees-esquire in that no matter what was brought to bear on him, he would still survive. The fast pace makes the movie seem much shorter than it really is, and is misleading since the action flies fast and free. This movie generates several good shocks and in fact rarely misses, something unusual in horror movies. The opportunities are varied, but this movie still gets about 80% of the shocks it set up, quite a high number considering the low number of shocks in movies today. The movie also does something only the original took pride in doing; it decided suspense could go into a horror movie and make it work. True, this one of the bloodiest entry's, but suspense, at least for me, makes a horror movie. The first dream sequence brings this point up exactly. The sequence goes for several minutes, and Myers is never seen until the last thirty seconds. Shopping for the Halloween costume is also a nice display of suspense. Harris actually turns in a believable appearance, and so does the rest of the cast. Pleasance is still the shining light in the cast, but the rest do respectable jobs for the genre. Also, the large cast allows for many killings, and the gore is nicely done. This is the bloodiest entry, except for 'H2O,' which is the goriest.

The Bad News: The stupidity of the town's people over Myers. If they didn't learn anything from the first two movies, then they should be killed. So much convincing on the part of Loomis is needed to get them to move into action that it nearly detracts from the movie. Several cast members could have thrown out for uselessness, as they just seem to wander around with giant target signs on their backs.

The Final Verdict: Almost a perfect movie. Combines a fast pace with suspense, gore, some humorous lines, and a feeling of enjoyment. Perfect for any occasion of horror movie buff.

Rated R: Graphic Violence, Brief Nudity, adult language, and some drug use

Scary, and full of suspense

Author: jesslb from Springfield, Illinois
15 October 2002

Scary, Scary, Scary! And FAR superior to part 5 The Revenge Of Michael Myers. I love the scene where Kelly Meeker brings the coffee to who she *thinks* is the deputy sitting in the rocking chair. SCARY stuff. That scene ALWAYS scares the crap out of me. This movie is loaded with suspense, and it has an absolutely SHOCKING, although unexplained ending. Just hearing Dr. Loomis saying "no, no, nooo..." then crying can spook you out! The truck scene towards the end is very scary and suspenseful as well. The scene where he bashes his head through the windshield still makes me jump.

Also, the heroines in this movie are almost as good as Laurie and her girlfriends in the first movie. Ellie Cornell is superb as Rachel (I was very sorry to see her get killed off in the next movie), and the relationship between her and her stepsister Jamie is wonderful.

For a Halloween movie, I'd definitely give it a 9 out of a 10!

(I always wondered and hoped that there really was a Haddonfield here in Illinois!)

Guess who's back!

Author: Hotstar from Stockport, England
20 December 2004

So, it transpires that Michael Myers survived being blown up on Halloween night 1978, and ten years later HE wakes from a decade of comatose to kill again.

OK, the premise is laughable but the decision to resurrect deranged serial killer Michael Myers is vindicated through a fine movie with several memorable moments and a shocking finale.

Donald Pleasence is on fine form as Myer's increasingly crazed doctor, Sam Loomis, who also survived being blown up in Halloween II. Loomis now walks with the aid of a stick and has burns to his face and hands but is otherwise fine. Blimey! He's almost as indestructible as Myers himself!

Halloween 4 racks up the jumps and gore but loses none of the thrills and excitement form the original movies. Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris are excellent support for Pleasence in one of the best in the Halloween franchise.

Great performances by all, excellent sequel

Author: duce122 from United States
23 August 1999

The first time I saw this film, I was bored. I thought it was uneventful. But then, I watched it a second time and loved it. This movie is very suspenseful, has very little blood/gore, and the acting by Danielle Harris is just incredible. I also love Ellis Cornell, she is such a doll! Brady was an idiot to let go of such a cute girl.

Rent this! It's better than II and V.

Finally, the shape IS back!!!

Author: drdre1 from New Jersey
29 January 2001

The fourth movie of the Halloween series sees the return of Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis. Surprisingly, considering what happened to both of the them at the end of Halloween 2. But, it seems that they brought back Michael Myers for three reasons. First, it is 1980's and it's all about the horror sequels baby!!! Just like Friday the 13th, Amityville, Psycho, Howling, and Nightmare, Halloween couldn't resist the fun. Second, it was the 10 year anniversary of Halloween, so they had to honor Myers by bringing him back again, just like the 20th anniversary for H20. I guess will also see the 25th and 30th anniversary of Halloween with Myers escaping the nursing home on Halloween for these sequels. Finally, they brought him back because of the utter disappointment of Halloween 3, which shouldn't have ever been made. But after these reasons, it isn't that bad a sequel. Good for a late 80's horror movie. ** out of ****

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]