IMDb > Gorillas in the Mist (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey

Gorillas in the Mist More at IMDbPro »Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A wonderful portrayal of one woman's dream

Author: GilraenEstel from Birmingham, England
10 January 2001

Who was Dian Fossey? Enviromental enthusiast? Insane eco-warrior? Or both?

Gorillas In The Mist is the story of this extraordinary woman whose work with Mountain Gorillas in Congo, and subsequently Rwanda, quite possibly saved these beautiful creatures from extinction. Her hard work and determination in studying these wonderful animals led to an amazing living arrangement with them.

How simply amazing must it be to touch, play and hold hands with a silverback Gorilla in the wilds of Africa? How would it feel to find that same silverback with his head, hands and feet cut off by poachers? To be frank, these gorillas were Dian Fossey's children - each had a name, each had their own unique trait - so it is hardly surprising that she became a little possessive and started treating the animals as her own. The horrors that she experienced on those mountains would send anyone mad.

Sigourney Weaver is simply superb as Fossey, portraying her hard work and gradual decline into insanity with that touch that only a few actresses possess. Her chemistry with co-star Bryan Brown adds to the feel of the film and the fact that she was brave enough to go anywhere near real gorillas is fascinating. To be fair, the two hours do drag a little, but Weaver is talented enough to carry the film through it.

Weaver once said "I only get the parts that Meryl [Streep] passes up" but to be honest, I couldn't imagine this brilliant woman being played by anyone else but Sigourney.

Inspiring, moving, provoking and educational.

Author: aaronnz from New Zealand
26 October 2004

Based on Dian Fossey's own autobiography, this true life story is inspiring and has helped these amazing animals in many ways by waking us up to their plight. Originally Dian herself was helping to make the film, until she was murdered and the production team had to go back and start it all over again several years later in 1988.

I am aware she did complete a degree when she returned to the USA in 1980 and wrote her book, which was published in 1983, and then revised in 1985. She returned to Africa in to help the gorillas and was murdered in 1984/1985 I believe near Christmas.

She may have done things that weren't ethical according to some, though her plight to save the gorilla came first.

This movie does give a fairly accurate but slightly toned down version of the events, which took place, though there were a few changes in details. It would be impossible to fit 13 years of events into just over one and a half hours of footage. So I think Hollywood did a good job.

The main alterations, leaving out some of the details of horrific animal abuse that would have otherwise pushed the rating up to an R16 and probably left any animal lover in tears. The details they left out as well may have made the film a little to shocking for the chief censors.

The special effects makeup, I believe done by Rick Baker, and real gorilla footage is seamless, making it hard to tell which parts were real gorillas and which are very well created costumes.

After purchasing the DVD I now realize they had Dian Fossey's original tracker with them to help with the film.

All up I think this film gives us just enough drama, action and thrills to make it a hit. I think Sigorney Weaver should have won an academy award for this especially considering how brave she was to film on location with real gorilla right next to her.

This movie has inspired myself to change my career path and am also reading the book, which I would recommend for anyone who wants to see how much more horrific the events were in reality.

This movie is a must see, who knows it may even change your life.

A story of survival, heart break and Gorillas in theMist

Author: Matt (matay19) from Melbourne, Australia
5 November 2000

This amazing film inspired me to do something, to somehow involve myself in the rescue attempt of one of Mother Natures most cherished possesions, Animals.

This inspiring tale is a true story and is based in the Congo region of Africa, where Dian Fossey (Sigourney Weaver), is sent to find more information about the little known, Mountain Gorillas.

Dian starts as a bystander pleading to be sent for the trip to Africa in-order to help in some way or form. And boy does she finish wrapped in the core of the Mountain Gorillas chance of survival.

Dian Faces love, war, and poachers and beats them of one by one as her courage and determination prevails, she is truly an icon, a lady to be remembered.

This is made possible by the outstanding performance of Sigourney Weaver who amazingly succeeds in portraying this strong willed; complex character. Sigourney is an fantastically gifted actor and shows us this in this movie.

A must see, a winner, Go Sigourney!

Not boring at all

Author: manuelvillalta from indianapolis, in
19 March 2001

despite what other people might say this movie was not boring at all, it had beautiful acting, specially from Mrs. Weaver, beautiful cinematography and a strong story, just because the movie had a very sad and not expected ending it doesn't make it boring, give it a chance, we might be just giving our personal opinions. please make your own.

Anyone who loves animals must see this film....

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
28 September 2006

While this film may have taken certain creative license with some facts, this story is important and upsetting. Many people in the US are still not aware of the poaching issues, the wild horses that are being sold for profit now, and many horrific things that still go on, simply because animals have no one to protect their rights.

This film is upsetting and sad, but also beautiful. To see the silver back gorillas, how gentle they are to each other, and see Sigourney Weaver as Dian Fossey, who attempted to communicate and understand them.

It is sometimes difficult to learn what inhumanity man is capable of; against both humans and animals. But by learning about this issue, one may be galvanized into learning more, joining a humane association, or teaching their children to respect animals. Animals, especially in the wild are also God's creatures, and deserve to be respected. 10/10.

very fine movie "based on" the life of Primate expert Dian Fossey

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
20 March 2007

this movie is based on the life of Dian Fossey and her work with the gorillas in a remote part of Africa."based on" usually means that some of the content is true and parts of it are fictionalized for dramatic effect.for sure Dian Fossey did work with gorillas in Africa and was instrumental in the increase of their population.some of the details may have been altered,but the gist of the story is true.i thought it was a very entertaining,touching and heartbreaking story.i think Sigourney weaver did a great job as Dian Fossey.she really brought some passion to the character.the movie was also thought provoking and i actually became angry more than a few times about some of the incidents that occurred.i find it rare to become so actively involved with a movie nowadays.for me "Gorillas in the Mist" is at a strong 8/10

A Magnificent Movie; Heart-Breaking Yet Hopeful; Sigourney Weaver At Her Best

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
28 July 2003

Like most movie buffs, I have seen Sigourney Weaver in a variety of roles and genres, from "Ghostbusters" to "Alien" to "A Map Of The World" among others, and yet I don't think I have ever seen her offer a better performance than in "Gorillas In The Mist," in which she plays fanatical gorilla researcher and protector Dian Fossey. Fossey's life - and ultimately her tragic and violent death - leaps out from the screen through Weaver, as we watch her evolve from the uncertain and inexperienced assistant to the great anthropologist Louis Leakey to the committed expert on these marvelous creatures, sometimes going over the top in her quest to save them. Be warned of some possible spoilers ahead.

The movie is absolutely heart-breaking in places. The terrified mother gorilla trying to save her baby as the tree they've climbed is cut down by poachers; Fossey's anguished cries of "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," to the baby she nursed back to health only to have to turn her over to zookeepers; the horrible death of Digit. I have to confess that each of these scenes brought a few tears to my eyes. And yet the basic gentleness and nobility of the gorilla is brought out as well, and the movie ends on a sad yet hopeful note. Fossey is murdered - certainly by the poachers she opposed for years - but her body is buried beside her beloved Digit, and the gorillas (even Digit's group) live on and increase in number.

The movie contains strong supporting performances from Bryan Brown as National Geographic photographer Bob Campbell, with whom Fossey falls in love but for whom she won't leave her gorillas, from John Omirah Miluwi as Sembagare, Fossey's gentle guide through the African jungles to Iain Cuthbertson who was perfectly believable as Louis Leakey.

This is spectacular. From the photography to the acting to the reality behind the story. I honestly can't come up with a flaw.

Was emotionally stirring, and inspiring.

Author: Evie Star from United States, Midwest
25 June 2001

This movie was emotionally stirring, and inspiring. This movie is about someone very brave who saw a terrible problem and tried to do something about it. Not just fussed about it, but actually DID something. The movie is hard for a tender hearted person to take sometimes, but it will inspire you to get out there and make a difference. I had tears streaming down my face the first time I watched...and the second and third time too. There should be many more movies like this made.

Excellent.

Author: Moose-59
18 September 1999

A beautiful film exploring the life quest of an important 20th century scientist. The cinematography was excellent and the script and music enjoyable. One of Sigourney Weaver's best performances. This was the first feature film to use real gorillas.

Powerful and Moving.

Author: jerekra from United States
22 February 2009

Gorillas in the mist is a film that touched me deeply. It made me have a better understanding of what Dian Fossey did in her life and also made me see how bad some Gorillas have it.

I think the film did a good job depicting Fossey's life. The main reason why is because Sigourney Weaver does an OUTSTANDING job of portraying her. Seriously, this is acting at its best. Weaver has perfect emotion and also does a good job acting like a gorilla in scenes. She really should have won an academy award. I know she was nominated and lost but I do not understand how.

This movie is very touching. It really made me see what goes on over in Africa and how poaching is a problem. I really felt bad for the Gorillas in this film and this film succeeded in making me feel bad for the Gorillas and make me want to do something about it. I always want to help animals whenever I can so seeing how Fossey fought for the Gorillas sort of inspired me. It is very important to protect all of the endangered species of animals on the planet including the Gorilla.

I must say that this film is very sad at parts. If you are an animal lover you will find it hard not to cry at times. Just a warning.

A great film that shows how important it is to protect animals. Very sad, but I do recommend it.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]