IMDb > Elvis and Me (1988) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Elvis and Me

Elvis and Me (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A wonderful movie for Elvis fans young and old!!

Author: carribean1976 from United States
30 July 2006

I grew up listening to Elvis and watching his movies with my mom. She got me hooked on Elvis at a very young age. His life intrigues me and I am always reading ar watching some thing that has to do with Elvis. This movie was absolutely wonderful. I have watched it countless times! I now own it on DVD, and I also own the book "Elvis and Me". I think that the actors in this movie did a wonderful job in portraying Elvis and his life. Priscilla did a wonderful job bringing his life to the public in a beautiful story. Thank you! I recommend this movie to any one who has any interest in the King, young and old. Even those who do not know that much about him, it is a wonderful movie, and you WILL enjoy it!!

Elvis and Me

Author: zemrat9297 from United States
11 January 2005

I too read Priscilla's book since I was infatuated and still am about Elvis Presley. First, just because he was the sexiest man alive doesn't mean he didn't have a dark side. Priscilla was so in love with him as the movie depicted and yet he chose to live like the kings when they slept with many women and had their wife on their side.

Dale Midkiff has got to be the best Elvis impersonator I have seen in a long time, he is so sexy, the eyes, lips, smile the sneer to the T, he has to win the award. I love him! LOL. I think he should have gotten an award for this movie, this was one of the first movies I saw that he played in and I fell in love LOL. Still almost 20 years later he still looks great in his recent movies I saw. I think the movie well in showing both sides, an innocent girl in love with a high-profile man. It showed the hardships of both sides although I think it was a bit harsh on his. All the pills he took towards the end of his life must have made him violent and maybe the rape did take place I guess only they will know. Susan Walters did an excellent job in playing Priscilla many of my friends and family say I resemble her a lot...shoot I wish I was her in making that film...I would have been Mrs. Midkiff! I have always said Priscilla knew what she was getting into and should have stayed by his side no matter what and given him a son for God sakes, he was the King of Rock and Roll! Dale played the Elvis role to the T! I really enjoyed this movie and watched it several times years later.

I would recommend it to anyone. He did a great job...I still think he should have gotten more attention for playing this role so well! Dale great job we love ya!!!!!!!!!!!Keep up the good work!

The love story that only his wife could tell.

Author: WickerGal from United States
10 August 2007

I saw this movie when it first premiered and was instantly captivated by the love story between Elvis and Priscilla. The movie traces their relationship from the time 14 year old Priscilla meets Elvis for the first time until his death some 18 years later. Walters does a terrific job portraying Priscilla. We see that Priscilla allows her entire life to become about Elvis, his world is all she knows, and we see her struggle to find her own way and her own person as his world of celebrity and drug use pulls him further away. This is not a tale of a woman scorned, rather a story of a woman who loved a man deeply and completely until love wasn't enough. The movie shows some ugly sides to Elvis that other biographies didn't cover, but it shows that he is as much a lost little boy as he is a controlling, sometimes violent man. The book does better justice when it comes to demonstrating Elvis' tender side, but the movie does capture the fact that he loves her. She does not invent the Elvis wanted her, brought her to live with him and married her. What this story says is that it is possible to love someone, flaws and all. We grow up with Priscilla through this movie and we suffer her heartbreak as well. I recommend reading the book in addition to seeing the movie, as many things in the movie are chronologically in error and some important personal struggles of both Elvis & Priscilla are left out. Ultimately though, if you want a movie that shows Elvis as some hero, this is not it.

Very Disappointing

Author: Ellie_81 from United Kingdom
13 July 2011

I watched this TV movie as I came across it on you tube. I am an avid Elvis fan and collector, and whilst I am not one of these people who believe Elvis had no faults I thought the film focused too much on the dark side of his personality. Its common knowledge that Elvis had a temper,as do most people,and its apparent he could be quite unpleasant at times.However, what seemed odd if that the film focused completely on the moody sullen side of Elvis, instead of being a more balanced view of him.. It could have been much better. For example it didn't show the generous side of his personality, it doesn't really do justice to the family man his family say he was. To be fair it would be extremely difficult to fit in a detailed account of Elvis's life in such a small space of time.

A great long movie

Author: Stephen Verhaeren from Palos Park, IL USA
18 August 2002

Elvis and Me is the story of Priscilla Beaulieu Preseley and her soon to be husband Elvis Presley. But before she meet the king, she was the step-daughter of an army captain, (her real father was killed in a plane crash, coming home to see Priscilla). The movie starts out in Austin Texas in 1959, when Priscilla (Susan Walters) gets the news from her kid sister (Kristin Holstrom) that they are moving. She tries to talk her mom (Linda Miller) and her step-father (Jon Cypher) to let her stay in Austin. The story moves to Germany, where Priscilla is home sick, until when one day, when the club she hanges out at, has an Elvis Presley look-a-like contest. Where she meets a man named Currie Grant (Greg Webb). He talks her parents into letting Priscilla meeting Elvis Presley (Dale Midkiff) at his house. Aslo, stayting at his house in Germany is his father Vernon Presley (Billy Green Bush) and his grandmother Minnie Mae Presley (Anne Haney). Remember Elvis Presley's mother Gladys died the year before. If you like this tv movie, you should try to read the book, written by the real Priscilla Beaulieu Presley. 10/10

The story of love, romance and a broken heart. Life with the 'King'.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
15 August 2001

This made for TV saga is more exploitation and fabrication than entertaining insight. Based very loosely on the book of the same name written by Priscilla Beaulieu Presley and Sandra Harmon, we see the beginnings and culmination of a romance between a very young girl and a potent, famed entertainer. Elvis Presley was no ordinary man; thus causing any retelling of his life and legend to be of some degree of interest and importance. This movie does very little to make Elvis look very good. Of course you are to blame this on coming from a vengeful scorned woman, the ex Mrs. Presley.

The book of course is quite self serving to Priscilla and still is a very interesting read. It is a shame this movie is nothing like the book. If anything it demeans Elvis and plants the wrong impression of his marriage. I find it very doubtful that no matter how miserable the relationship got; that Priscilla would actually want her daughter and the world to believe Elvis to be a rapist and violent wife abuser.

I have read the book twice and watched this movie almost three times. For someone wanting to enrich their thoughts of a dark and evil Elvis, this is more of your fodder. Information from an enlightening memoir becomes what tabloids are made of. By all means don't think that I don't want you to see this movie; watch but remember this script is not written in stone.

Susan Walters plays Priscilla very well. She is lovely to look at and is very likable, but after awhile you can take just so much of the helpless act. Billy Green Bush has played Vernon Presley before(ELVIS)TV mini-series(90). Dale Midkiff does no Elvis make. It is hard to like anyone as the 'King' after having Kurt Russell and Michael St. Gerard so aptly in that role. Midkiff has done good work in his career, but just does not have the stuff to be even a disgruntled Elvis. Other cast members of note are: Cynthia Harrison, Kimberly McArthur and Jon Cypher.

This movie was nothing like the book

Author: Alexis Popov (chippyjr@optonline.net) from new york
8 June 2001

I am a die hard Elvis fan and I have read "Elvis and Me" the book twice. After reading the book I watched the movie which showed Elvis as a miserable person who raped and abused his wife. Nothing of the sort was written in the book. This movie should never have been run for it is only demeaning Elvis's legend.

good perspective to the life of the king of rock and his queen

Author: FrostQueen23 from United States
13 February 2006

this movie is told from Priscilla Presley's point of view and based on the book she wrote of the same name. i first came across this movie when i was flipping through channels one day. i must have been 13 or 14 at the time but even then the story captivated me. i was so interested in the "behind-the-scenes" Elvis. everyone knew him as a kind and generous man who made amazing music. what they didn't know was his volatile temper and controlling ways. also, the thought that a "nobody" one day met THE Elvis Presley. i think every girl at that age has the fantasy of meeting a superstar and one day marrying them. i was no exception. The movie tells of the first time Priscilla and Elvis met while he was stationed in Germany, the hard times Priscilla encountered trying to live a normal life when he went back to the states, Their visits together in L.A. and Memphis, Their wedding, the birth of their daughter and the dissolution of their marriage. i knew Elvis's music before watching this movie, but after seeing it, i was HOOKED. i bought the original book that the movie was based on and read it over and over. i taped the movie and just recently bought it on DVD, and i'm planning on visiting Memphis next year. this movie is sweet and charming but also sad. i DEFINITELY recommend this movie to any Elvis OR Priscilla fan.

Dale Midkiff's portrayal of Elvis is hypnotic!

Author: deltaphilly from U.S.
13 February 2005

I love watching movies based on the life of Elvis as most of us do, and I particularly liked this one since it was from Priscilla's prospective. Susan Walters made a fascinating Priscilla. Dale Midkiff, although not as visually similar as Kurt Russell's portrayal of Elvis, brought an electric sensitivity to this part. Midkiff can hypnotize an audience with a single stare without ever uttering a word which made him the perfect choice for the role of Elvis. In my opinion, this movie gave an insightful look into the complex life and emotions of Elvis and Priscilla and is a must see for their fans. If you're not an Elvis fan, it's worth watching just to view Midkiff for a few hours.

Great Movie

Author: Queen_Bee68 from Indiana
15 February 2004

I love this movie!! I don't believe any 2 actors could have played the parts of Elvis and Priscilla any better than Dale Midkiff and Susan Walters. It was just magical from the beginning, a 14 year old school girl/Army brat, who stole the heart of Elvis Presley! You will see how she spent her years at Graceland, the wedding, and the sudden birth of their only child, Lisa Marie. Priscilla truly lived a fairy tale!! I would highly recommend this movie!!