IMDb > Dixie Lanes (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dixie Lanes More at IMDbPro »

Welcome to small town America, 1945

Author: Little-Mikey from Italy
16 July 2008

Screwball, wacky and somewhat off beat, this movie is really quite amusing in a weird way. In spite of what the critics say (and most of them are extremely hard and critical of this movie), I really enjoyed this movie.

The movie begins with some old, faded news footages from the end of the Second World War and continues with an equally faded black and white footage of a small town America that changes into color as the actual movie begins.

Unfortunately, in spite of this brilliant opening of the movie and in spite of the close attention to detail, like the authentic scenery, and even using vintage signs and ads, the movie has more than its share of flaws.

The movie has some really off beat humor, provided by Karen Black, Ruth Buzzi (veterin of LAUGH-IN) and the eternally lovely Tina Louise. And since it involves moon shining and fast cars, it sort of has the feel of a 1940's version of THE DUKES OF HAZZARD.

All in all, it is not a cinematic masterpiece, but it is an enjoyable movie.

Worse Than Merely Mediocre

Author: Gangsteroctopus (gangsteroctopus@socal.rr.com) from SoCal
20 December 2001

I wish I could say nice things about this film, as it was made in home state. But, in all honestly, I can't. From the filmed-through-the-bottom-of-a-beer-bottle cinematography (I guess that's supposed to be the haze of nostalgia, but it just makes everything blurry and orange-ish); the cheezy, tinny piano noodlings that barely pass for a score (like something out of a bad silent film); the painfully awkward, overly earnest, just plain bad writing (WAY too many backstory speeches of the "It's too bad he's that way because of this terrible thing that happened in his past, blah, blah, blah"-variety); a genuinely obnoxious performance by lead Chris Rydell (it's really difficult to identify with a protagonist who spends the entire film sulking and acting like a complete a**hole), though he seems tolerable compared to Karen Black's astoundingly shrill, utterly unbelievable portrayal of Aunt Zelma (Selma?); all the totally non-period hairstyles (especially sad in light of the fact that there was obviously some effort put into making the rest of the production design authentic) - alright, I'll put a cork in it. Suffice to say that this is a deservedly obscure, poorly made film that you should NOT seek out at your local video emporium.

Non-sequitur theater

Author: The_Hurdy_Gurdy_Man from United States
22 September 2008

I just finished watching this movie, and all I can say is "WHAT?"

The plot makes no sense, the "back story" is unintelligible, and the movie doesn't know when to be serious and when to be funny; it just oscillates between the two moods throughout.

Another point that bothered me is that there is no flow to the story. Instead, the viewer is presented with episodic weirdness, ranging from car chases to impromptu dust storms (which looks suspiciously like a device to cover up technical issues during the final chase.) So if you want a far-out, nonsensical, and altogether incongruous movie, this is for you. Otherwise, check out something more coherent, like "Half-Baked."

Standard, boring, obscure.

Author: Matt..377 from United States
10 February 2001

A boy named Everett comes of age in his small hometown after returning from the war. Utterly ordinary in all departments, though Everett's romance with Judy (Pamela Springsteen, sister of Bruce, who does a surprising topless scene) provides some interest in this otherwise tedious film.

** out of ****

MPAA: Rated R for brief nudity.

A fun Comedy

Author: broad123 from New York, USA
4 January 2002

I rented this video on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This isn't to say that the fillm doesn't have its problems, because it does.

Poorly executed in the directing department by Cato, this script, by screen writer Brady, could have been a big hit. The story is uplifting, and sweet, funny, and wacky throughout, yet dramatic when it needs to be.

My rating? I give it 3 1/2 stars out of five.

If you can't find that latests new release at your local video store, rent this film if you can find it!