IMDb > Bull Durham (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not Only a Great Sports Film, A Great Film Period

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
13 April 2003

I remember the first time I saw this film. I had won tickets from a local radio station and I saw it at a private screening at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. I remember as I was watching it that it was one of the greatest experiences I had in a movie in a long time. This film is not only a great sports film, but it is one of the great all around films I have ever seen. This film has it all from romance to comedy to witty dialogue. Susan Sarandon, Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins all brought Ron Shelton's script to life and the three of them displayed some of the greatest chemistry ever captured on film. This film is a timeless classic.

A Comedy with much more to offer

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
22 April 2005

It is nice to see a movie that attracts more than one kind of audience. This is a comedy, then again a love story. This can be placed in the baseball genre as well as a coming of age drama. Most movies claim to be one or the other and sometimes fail to be. Then again, when a good movie hits a homerun it can not only become a money maker and a box office smash, it can also become timeless. Before they became giants of Hollywood, Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins stars in this great movie as some of the most interesting, yet simple characters. Costner plays an aging baseball player who meets with rookie, soon to be great major league pitcher Tim Robbins. Out of the rafters comes Susan Surandon who, in her own may, is a Muse of the religion of baseball. Together, the three introduce three different worlds upon the audience. Each are believable characters even though they are in a way, fantasy like. A great story with a perfect ending, Bull Durham is one of those hard to find movies that is a crowd pleaser with just about every audience out there.

The movie about the love of Baseball

Author: DanB-4 from Canada
10 October 2001

Crash Davis loves baseball more than it loves him. He believes in the game. He deserves to be in the show, but he isn't and never will be. But still he plays on, dutifully and to a certain extent, joyfully. Better to play crappy A-ball than sell shoes.

That for me is the central theme of this film. It is all summed up when Crash tells Nuke, the wild young star pitcher "You don't respect yourself. That's your problem. You don't respect the game. That's my problem."

Take a player that passionate, and a youngster that annoying, add in a sexy yet maternal fan and you have great comedy. Bull Durham works scene after scene, because the film never forgets that baseball is what binds all the characters together.

Tim Robbins is nothing short of brilliant and Nuke Laloosh, the rising star youngster who walks 18 batters and strikes out 18 batters in his first minor league appearance - both league records. But Nuke is caught up in his fat contract, his Porsche, and his endless parade of women. Baseball is a sideline. Eventually, Crash's mentoring begins to pay off until he finally realizes that winning is "like, you know, better than losing!"

The love triangle between Annie (Susan Sarandon), Crash and Nuke is wonderful and funny, but it mainly provides us with set up for the baseball scenes, like when Sarandon convinces Nuke to wear women's underwear while he pitches. Or my favourite scene, when Annie and Crash take batting practise together, Annie dressed like she is ready for a wedding, but determined to correct Crash's swing. Crash is determined to take Annie home. They flirt and practice batting in one of the best prolonged foreplay scenes ever filmed.

The ending is satisfying but the real depth of this film is harmony that the game brings to the characters. **** out of ****.

A diamond in the rough

Author: Dennis Littrell from United States
19 May 2002

(Note: Over 500 of my movie reviews are now available in my book "Cut to the Chaise Lounge or I Can't Believe I Swallowed the Remote!" Get it at Amazon.)

I thought I read the book, or at least I dreamed it, but this is NOT adapted from something by Larry McMurtry, although it sure seems like it oughta be. It is one hell of a funny, crafty, too real for life, kind of movie. The brilliant script, full of clever one-liners, was written by Ron Shelton (White Men Can't Jump (1992)), who actually played minor league ball in the Orioles farm system. Shelton also directed and did a bang-up job. This is a funny movie that is really funny.

What I recalled (when I found out this wasn't from Larry McMurtry) was a baseball novel for juniors that I had read when I was a kid about a crafty, veteran minor league catcher who had once made it to the big leagues but got beaned and never got over it, always bailing out from an inside curve ball. (This was in the days before batting helmets.) He fell back to the minors and went from team to team and town to town, hitting a ton until somebody figured out that his knees would buckle if you brushed him back a bit, and then he'd have to move on. Kevin Costner's part reminds me of that guy (without the beaning phobia).

Susan Sarandon plays Annie Savoy, a baseball groupie in her sexual prime who likes to read poetry and give the players hitting advice. She is just wonderful as she plays sexy mom to the boys, a new one every summer, just so she can avoid any kind of real relationship or commitment. And so along comes Crash Davis (Kevin Costner, one of the more underrated and less flashy stars of our time), playing an itinerant catcher who has managed to hit nearly 300 minor league home runs. He is tough and savvy and once made it to the Show for 21 days. Tim Robbins plays Ebby Calvin "Nuke" "Meat" LaLoosh, a not too bright, wild-armed phenom who needs more than a little guidance. He gets a lot from both Crash and Annie, who are intent on schooling him in their differing expertise. Nuke is just the hunk Annie needs to keep her from falling in love with Crash, but...well, this is a romantic comedy, so you can be sure that love will find a way.

The baseball shtick and the interior dialogues of Robbins and Costner during the games ("Why's he want the heat? I wanna throw the deuce..." And, "Don't think, ... Get that...woman out of your head--Time out!") are really funny, and the bit where Robbins shakes him off and Costner, as an object lesson for his young pitcher, tells the batter what's coming next allowing the batter to hit it out of the park (or onto the Bull Durham sign to win a free steak dinner--is this genuine Americana or what?) are a crack up. But also great are the scenes with Sarandon as she philosophizes ("I believe in the Church of Baseball") and wise-cracks her way through the boys of summer, especially the scene where she ties Nuke up in bed and reads him some Walt Whitman. Now THAT really tires the boy out! Another great scene is on the bus when Crash lets the other players know that he once made it to the bigs where "...you hit white balls for batting practice and the ballparks are like cathedrals." Beautiful.

Best dead-pan one-liner is when Crash catches Nuke in the locker room trying to adjust the panty hose girdle that Annie has talked him into wearing under his uniform: "The rose goes in the front, big guy."

By the way, the great rock and roll soundtrack includes the galvanizing baseball song, "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" by John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival fame. (Or maybe the title's "In Center Field": "Put me in coach. I'm ready to play, today, in center field.")

It's a shame that Shelton did not win the Oscar for this script, it's really that good. (Ronald Bass won for Rain Man.) The characters are just fascinating and full of life, and not just the three leads. The bit players are funny too, including the hard-talking, middle-brained manager, the mindless pattering coaches, the sweet young groupie girl who makes it with all the players as fast as she can. Even the team clown is good.

The irreverent characterizations, the sweet story, the realistic atmosphere of baseball in small town America (only slightly burlesqued), and some fine acting all rolled together make this one highly diverting little film, actually one of the best baseball films ever made. See this with your best babe. She'll like it as much as you.

Draws You In & Doesn't Let You Go

Author: no-skyline from London, England
7 September 2005

First of I have to say i'm from the UK, i've never played baseball seen a baseball game or have any ideas to the finer rules of baseball but this will not stop you enjoying this film. This film is about a way of life and you can enjoy it in the same way as you can watch a film about a great explorer without ever having left your own country. For Crash, Nuke, Annie and all the other characters in here baseball is a way of life not a sport and it is to be respected and in some cases worshipped. For me the best scene in this movie comes in the pool hall at the end with three generations of baseball player we know that one day nuke, will be in crash's position and that crash will eventually be in the old guys position it's the baseball way of life. Howevever it's a way of life that's changing and this is shown in the almost forlorn at times shot's of the ballpark and main characters, like the lady says you have to respect the ball player who's just trying to finish out the season.

Direction, script and performances (Costner's best performance ever I think even over Field of Dreams and the Untouchables) are superb see this movie you wont regret it. 8/10

All the fun of a night out at the ballpark injected into a film.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
4 September 2007

There's something to be said about Minor League Baseball.While the Major Leagues have their glitz and glamor,the minor leagues are a bit different.It's not so glitzy.It's not so glamorous.Everything having to do with the minor leagues happens on a much smaller scale.For some,like me,the atmosphere of the minors is much more appealing because you don't have a bunch of millionaires out there saying "look what I can do".What you do have are guys trying to prove themselves worthy of that next step,the Major League level,which means that they are more likely to be giving their all.Minor league ballparks,depending upon which ones you go to,have a lot to offer as far as fun things to do for the family as far as contests and the like.What Bull Durham does for the average movie watcher is project that very atmosphere that I have just described.When you watch the film,you feel like you are at the ballpark having a blast.The three way interaction between the characters played by Costner,Robbins,and Sarandon is a great display of artistry that no one should miss.There are elements of language and sexuality that some may find offensive as well as slams against Christianity that made me personally uneasy,but otherwise this film is a definite fun time.

What all baseball movies should be!

Author: Stacey McGovern from Cordova TN
25 March 1999

'Bull Durham' is definitely one of those movies you can't get enough of. Not a drama, but more of a sexy, laid back film. Tim Robbins was great in the movie, a little low on brains, but still very vulnerable. Susan Sarandon was very persuasive in this movie, the kind of a woman all of the guys like. Kevin Costner was so great, his theories were untouchable. A great combination of everything that a movie should have to offer. Gives a new meaning to 'home run', and baseball.

A fun look at baseball and falling in love.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
5 April 2000

A comical story about baseball and sex. How can it miss? The minor league Durham Bull's have had their share of loses and looney characters. Raw talent sometimes is more plentiful than brains. Tim Robbins is a young pitcher, "Nuke" LaLoosh, needing a lot of instruction if he is to make it to the "bigs". Aging catcher, Crash Davis, played by Kevin Costner, is assigned to the team to whip the youngster into shape. The team's number one groupie, played by Susan Sarandon, wraps both players around her little finger.

Hilarious situations and the lighter side of baseball. This movie made me a Sarandon fan. Robert Wuhl and Trey Wilson provide backup.

A Complete Entertainer...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
3 February 2012

'Bull Durham' is A Complete Entertainer, That Easily is among THE Best Sport-Centric Films-Ever. Ron Shelton's Screenplay & Direction, both, are very-well done, while the Performances, are remarkable.

'Bull Durham' Synopsis: Crash" Davis, a veteran catcher is brought in to teach rookie pitcher Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh about the game in preparation for reaching the Major Leagues, While, Baseball groupie Annie Savoy romances Nuke but finds herself increasingly attracted to Crash.

'Bull Durham' is humorous, energetic & most of all, entertaining. The film wonderfully grabs your attention. Ron Shelton's Screenplay is a great blend of energy & humor. His direction, on the other-hand, is very-well done. Cinematography, Editing & Art Design, are nice.

Performance-Wise: Kevin Costner delivers a terrific performance. The actor sinks his teeth into the part & brings it out with flying colors. Susan Sarandon, as always, is fabulous. Tim Robbins suits his part perfectly. Trey Wilson does well. William O'Leary is as usual.

On the whole, 'Bull Durham' is A Complete Entertainer.

Crash, Nuke and Annie Savoy.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
26 November 2011

Bull Durham is written and directed by Ron Shelton, it stars Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Robert Wuhl and Trey Wilson. Music is by Michael Convertino and cinematography by Bobby Byrne.

Annie Savoy (Sarandon), small town groupie of the Durham Bulls minor league baseball team, takes a different player from the team into her bed each year and in the process imparts her considerable knowledge of the game on them. This year is tricky, though, two candidates catch her eye. One is young air-head, but talented, pitcher Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Robbins), the other is the wise older veteran of the leagues Crash Davis (Costner), who has been employed to be the Bulls' catcher and mentor to LaLoosh. Annie and the two men's lives are about to change considerably.

It's a rare old thing is this, a sports movie that manages to be funny, tender, romantic and spirit lifting all in one. Writer/director Ron Shelton draws on his own real life experiences of the minor leagues to tell his story with skill, whilst cloaking it in authentic looking splendour. His tale is boosted by three excellent lead performances from Sarandon (savvy and sexy), Robbins (ebullient naivety) and Costner (charismatic and natural), with the added bite that, refreshingly in a male dominated environment, it's Sarandon's Annie who is the centre of the story (she narrates also). True enough to say that some of the sports dialogue will not be to everyone's liking, erm hello non baseball fans, but in the main it's a wholesome and mature romady that keeps on giving rewards with each subsequent viewing.

Clearly about more than baseball, it's a film that's easy to love and laugh along with. 8.5/10

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]