IMDb > Black Roses (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Black Roses

Black Roses More at IMDbPro »

Do you want to see someone get sucked through a speaker? It's here

Author: ryannemetz from Orange, Ca.
23 February 2005

The town of Mill Basin gets their opportunity to host the hard rock band Black Roses. However, I don't think the band tours anywhere else. Anyways, once they arrive in town, it's hell on earth. The kids soon get demoniacally possessed after listening to too much of this hard rock music. The band's vocalist, Damian, is the main culprit for all of the chaos. Damian's got a cool look. He's dressed in all black and has a cool hair style. This story kind of gets its premise from the problem with hard rock and all of the suicide incidents from real life situations attached to such bands as: Slayer, Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne. Black Roses was released in 88', which was right around when these law suits unfolded. This sort of music was really popular then and parents and teachers really were against this entire movement. The story basically takes the premise that if you listen to Heavy Metal, you too, will become a maniac. It sure makes one laugh. The kids in this picture begin shooting their parents and beating up their fellow classmates. The script isn't that great, but the 80's music makes up for it. Time after time, you'll hear LIZZY BORDEN's "Me Against The World." This song is featured at least three or four times. There is also a cool song by the title of "Soldiers in the Night." This song, too, really cranks! The special effects are cheesy, but they seem to work for satisfactory basis. I like the part when a guy gets sucked through a mounted wall speaker, case in point to my summary title. Stay away if you can't handle a juvenile script and head banging music from the 80's. 5/10

You gotta love it

Author: war_cat2 from San Diego (aka Kirk)
3 October 2000

Black Roses is one of those rentals you go get and prepare to have a good time. Bring some friends over to watch it. It is just so damn funny you'll be laughing in no time. The funniest part of the movie is a quote from one of the kids dad:

joke spoiler 'What's this?' -dad 'An earring pop.' -son 'An earring? Only 2 types of men where earrings son. Pirates and faggots. And I don't see a ship parked in our driveway.' -dad end spoiler

Summary: This movie is a howl.

Never have there been so many mullets flaunted in one film

Author: sfhjsth802
22 August 2002

Black Roses. Where to begin? First off, this movie is not for you if you cannot appreciate the comic genius that is a combination of bad metal music and massive mullets. Personally, I love bad movies and those two things have made [and broken] a great many movies for me. Black Roses is a beautiful melding of horrible acting, special effects that wouldn't have been impressive twenty years ago, and tons of terrible metal. Our Demonic band [Black Roses] and their flamboyant frontman Damien [who is complete with a disappearing/reappearing mullet] use their music as a portal for evil! There are a great many unanswered questions come the end of the film, but if you are watching this film in the first place, chances are you're not in the market for a high-quality production. This is a great bad horror film, and a must-see for anyone who knows how funny mullets are.

[A few words on my rating system]

I review bad movies almost exclusively, that does not however mean that my rating system is inverted. A score of 1 denotes a film that is unbearable to watch, whereas a score of 10 epitomizes the best in the world of bad movies. A 5 is average, 6 connotes that there is something worthwhile, a 7 is a definate must-see for people who match the criteria that I will have listed in the review.

Goofy 80s Demonic Rocker flick

Author: ThrownMuse from The land of the Bunyips
8 October 2007

Famous glam rock band The Black Roses is booked to play their first (?) live shows at its hometown local high school. While all the teens are stoked that their favorite band chose their sleepy small town for their first ever live concert, the parents are less than enthused with The Black Roses and their seemingly demonic lead singer Damien. The teachers and mayor stick by "Free speech" while the parents protest. When the band shows up for the show, the PTA and other authoritative adults attend only to find a Michael Bolton type in a Don Johnson suit singing power ballads. They shrug their shoulders at this harmless lite-rocker and bolt for the exit. That's when Damien strips down to a kinkier outfit (think Cher in "If I Could Turn Back Time) and The Black Roses crank out the hard rock. The kids in the crowd go wild. When the band stays in town to do more three more shows, the kids' become increasingly zombie-like and violent. Their English teacher starts to think that maybe the PTA was right and the kids are becoming possessed by Leotarded Damien and his rocknroll.

John Fasano's follow up to his bizarrely awful "Rock & Roll Nightmare" doesn't fare that much better story-wise, but it's still sort of charming. It lacks the interesting visuals and characters of its predecessor, but makes up for that by adding more puppet-monster action. Nothing happens in the first half hour of the film, which has a really strange feeling, like it's a musical from the 50s instead of an 80s rocker movie. There's even a sequence where the bored lead teenager is trying to woo a girl by dancing around the street, from lamppost to lamppost, saying things like "Let's paint the town red!" The score is equally out-of-place for a movie about a demonic glam rock band. It sounds like something out of an 80s children's adventure movie. The special effects and puppetry are charming and one of the only things that kept my attention. Especially worth noting is a scene where future Soprano's star Vincent Pastore gets gobbled up by his stereo speakers. So while "Black Roses" isn't completely unwatchable, it isn't really a good movie and recommended for only those who really dig this type of thing.

Like no way dude!

Author: udar55 from Williamsburg, VA
19 September 2006

Watch out kids! The heavy metal is gonna getcha! Popular metal band Black Roses have chosen the small town of Mill Basin to begin their world tour. But Black Roses has plans outside of just rocking. Led by the charismatic Damien, the band are actually demons who hypnotize teens with their music and then turn them anti-social. It is Tipper Gore's worst nightmare! It is all up to English teacher Mr. Moorhouse (John Martin) to save the town. From the director of ROCK N' ROLL NIGHTMARE, BLACK ROSES is a great 80s time capsule. You have the big hair with sweaters to match, the leather outfits and lots of high pitch screeching. There are some cheap but fun effects and what might be the world's most gratuitous nude scene. Pre-SOPRANOS Vincent Pastore made his film debut (talk about auspicious!) as a metal kid's dad who gets sucked into a mutant speaker by a big spider. Sorry, it reads much better than it plays.

Criminally UNDERRATED Heavy Metal Horror!

Author: horror7777 from New York
6 May 2001

This film is campy, scary, and totally weird at the same time. I swear every horror fan must at least look at this film first, before making comments about it. The acting is average, the writing is average (i.e. one girl looks into a mirror and rubs her breasts for ten minutes (?)) But this film has a chilling reality to it that was probably appreciated more back when it was released in 1988. Teens killing their parents because they're possessed by the demons playing the rock music? Now that's got to be good!

Of note: Vincent Pastore ("The Sopranos" Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero) in his first film saying one of the funniest damn quotes: "You wearing earings, kid? Only two kinda guys wear earings: pirates and homos. And I don't see a ship in the driveway!"

***out of****truly a memorably 80's horror film that went far beyond 80's slasher films that were everywhere at the time.

More rock weirdness

Author: doctorgonzo23 from Canada
8 April 2004

i swear I say this flick for rent in a 7-11 when I was still a pre-teen.

I've had a vague recollection of the box art and the general plot ever since. Being the dedicated bargin bin hound that I am, I finally managed to find a copy of this movie. I'm a giant fan of B-movies in general, but this film just didn't seem to make effective use of the wacky plot. It could have been a lot more over the top; it ended up being pretty slow going during some sections. The F/X are actually halfway between funny/cheesey and somewhat half decent. Although I enjoyed this movie for all of its b-graded goodness (i.e. bad music, bad acting, some T&A from the leading female), i reccomend it to serious fans of the b-horror genre. If you ever get a chance to pick it up used for a few bucks, it's good for a laugh. However, Rock N' Roll Nightmare, by the same director, is an absolute MUST HAVE.

"The Black Roses will rise."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
11 May 2008

~Spoiler~

Black Roses is a film that defines the 80's. And you know I love those. Big hair, wailing vocals, and a fine layer of cheese. Black Roses is about the titular glam band whose music possesses the minds and bodies of youths and propels them to do evil deeds. From the opening chords of Lizzie Borden's Me Against the World, I knew I was going to have fun with this one. I had that song on a Metal Blade compilation when I was younger. So nostalgia is already setting in before the movie really gets started. The movie itself has nothing on the soundtrack, but it is quite entertaining and loaded with humor (some intentional and some not). For example: If you've ever wanted to see Vincent Pastore get eaten by a speaker, this is your movie. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Black Roses really needs to be seen back to back with John Fasano's other "classic", Rock and Roll Nightmare.

One Hell Of A Concert!!!

Author: edgeofterror from Ireland
20 March 2005

What a fun movie!This is one of those few horror movies out there that was based on Hard Rock music...the others being Hard Rock Zombies, Trick Or Treat and Rockin Roll Nightmare!This one has a bunch of demonic hard rockers coming to a town called Mill Basin to perform a concert.The adults of the town fear that the music might be bad for the children... and boy were they right!This film like so many other eighties horror films, has some really cool rock music...one of the best being "Road To Paradise" which the band plays on their first concert in the town.There's is also some pretty neat special effects...although their only really good in a fun way... i mean...they don't look realistic or anything but they're still enjoyable! This movie also has Sal Viviano as the lead rock singer of the band who has a really eighties "fine" haired mullet...some of the eighties fashions in this movie will give you a few chuckles but it just adds to the fun fell of the film! Some people might remember Sal Viviano as having starred in The Jitters...which was an insane but equally enjoyable Japanese based horror film!Watch out for the part where Mattthew the high school teacher is attacked by a cool looking demon at the end...it will give you a couple of laughs!!!Rent it for sure!!!

One HELL of a good concert!

Author: jamison_hult4646 from NASHUA, NH
3 December 2004

I remember seeing this one as a kid on Joe Bob Briggs "Up all Night" movie marathon, and I finally picked this B movie gem up for 5 bucks at a local video store! Great movie if you enjoy these type of films.

What could be better than sitting back, relaxing, and watching a flick about a group of goody two shoes teens get possessed by demons from Hell who are disguising themselves as a Heavy Metal band! Classic!

I especially won't forget the scenes when Big Pussy from the Sopranos Vincent Pastore makes his acting debut, and gets mauled by a demon that attacks him from his sons speaker, or when a brainwashed teeny bopper turns into a long necked lizard creature and attacks her teacher

GREAT STUFF!! I recommend this movie to all 80's metalheads who

probably once tried playing their Twisted Sister backwards, hoping to get a message from the Great Beezelbub himself. Or if your like me and actually enjoy watching this garbage.