IMDb > Beetlejuice (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Funny Halloween movie!

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
25 October 2015

You wouldn't think Michael Keaton was himself as Beetlejuice because of the daft behavior and the things he says are like so inappropriate! Maybe Batman does have a dirty mind after all haha! No seriously he was great like you still wouldn't think it's him as Beetle juice!

It was pretty enjoyable and funny, I didn't find it that scary but kids could possibly be freaked out with the couple trying to scare the family away in order to get back to their own house! Winona Ryder looked really beautiful with her Gothic looks, it reminds me of her being Mina Murray in Dracula (1992). Even the red dress looked beautiful on her!

If you haven't seen this, watch it on Halloween, it'll make you laugh then scream!

Beetlemania

Author: thesar-2 from United States
13 September 2015

With all the buzz about a potential – or real now? – sequel to this nearly 30 year old classic, I had to revisit this for only the second time in more than two decades. And wow…what an incredible movie this was.

My only grip, and this can't be held against Burton as it shows he did EVERYTHING he could with what he was given and entrusted with, was the poor animation trying to trick us as "real." This…is another reason (from above) that I am truly looking forward to a sequel with a large budget and perfected CGI, if necessary. (Actually, I'm against most CGI – I like real heart and efforts from what I see in film, but some is necessary to showcase a larger world, à la Lord of the Rings.)

But, beyond the beyond cartoons, the movie was brilliant. Absolutely hilarious, extraordinarily original, tight, with great music and a nearly flawless and memorable score. But all that is not to discount the performances…

Every single person in this film owned their parts and not once did I not feel one actor out of place. Some stood out, of course, like Ryder's Lydia, Shadix's Otho, Sidney's Juno and obviously, Keaton's dazzling "Beetlegeuse." But, unlike most movies, everyone still worked together wonderfully without having one or a couple steal scenes.

Overall, it's the story, comedic pieces, imagination and characters that drove this very basic haunted house movie into greatness. I'm always willing to put aside my normal distain for such basic movies (far too many haunted house movies have plagued us these last few years) when it gives me something new and fresh…even from almost three decades ago.

Love it!

Author: lorraineesimpson from United Kingdom
19 July 2015

Haven't watched this movie for a few years so when I noticed it on the TV listings today I thought I'd refresh my memory. I've remembered why this is in my top ten despite the fact that a) I'm not a Tim Burton fan, and b) I don't normally "do" comedies.

Beetlejuice is just great fun from start to finish. It's a dark, quirky comedy featuring some fine performances and great lines. Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin are perfectly cast as the ever so nice couple who meet an untimely end and find their house taken over by new occupants. Winona Ryder is great as the 1980's version of a teen goth, and Catherine O'Hara is excellent as the neurotic mother with artistic leanings. However, the real show-stealer is Michael Keaton, who delivers a riotously OTT performance as Betelgeuse, the bio- exorcist. He's just brilliant in this role.

On paper it doesn't look like it should be, but it is actually a real feel-good movie. Every time I hear the Banana Boat Song or Jump in the Line (Shake Senora), I think of it and smile.

A beginning or near beginning of many a career

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
6 July 2015

This film is a delightfully nutty "horror" movie. Looking back on it from this distance, it was clearly a beginning or near beginning of many a career. Geena Davis was probably the most established star, save, I guess for Michael Keaton, who chewed the scenery relentlessly. Ms. Davis was so cute. This seems to be Tim Burton's first real movie, which set the dark tone for many of his future projects. I'm thinking that this was likely the last time that Alec Baldwin was in any way charming. And this also seemed to have really started Winona Ryder along her career path. As I recall it also re-ignited some interest in the calypso tunes of the long-forgotten Harry Belafonte. The effects seem quaint these days, but were just fine back in the day. Surely just about everyone has seen this one, but if not, check it out.

So much fun, and over too soon, "Beetlejuice" provides a character, a scene, and a world for the ages

Author: David Conrad from Austin, Texas
7 February 2015

"Beetlejuice" is a fantastically creative movie featuring some of the best-looking sets and most interesting worldbuilding in Tim Burton's filmography. Maybe in anyone's. And yet it also has a charmingly offhanded feel, like something jotted down after a strange dream as it was fading. Nobody seems to have been trying too hard, a common problem in later Burton projects. It builds slowly, one of those movies where the central figure doesn't really appear until deep into the runtime. Like the shark in "Jaws" or E.T. in "E.T.," we want to see Beetlejuice, but the movie smartly holds him back, showing only teasers before the big show.

There's plenty to focus on in the meantime. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are likable guides to the world of the dead, a wry bureaucracy that's also playground for Burton's creature creation and makeup departments. The movie could work as satire if it wanted to, something like Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" set in H.P. Lovecraft's New England. There are waiting rooms and labyrinthine corridors of the dead civil service and a manual for the newly deceased. To go between worlds, Baldwin's character must take a shovel to the foam grass and plywood ground of his scale model of his town, and it's tempting to search this for parallels to the tacky redevelopment going on in the dead couple's home. But really, the whole conceit is too intriguing and lighthearted to serve as earnest commentary or sharp-edged ridicule. The movie speculates that, really, being dead isn't so bad if you can just learn to work the system and get along with people. Being alive isn't so bad either, as long as you don't trample heedlessly over the dead. Having seen the fun that Baldwin and Davis's characters are having after death, it's easy to relate to Winona Ryder's goth girl character, who can see them and decides she prefers them to her snobbish and striving parental units.

A fair amount of plot is squeezed into the movie's 90 minutes, but it all boils down to the question of when somebody is going to say "Beetlejuice" three times and bring Michael Keaton's fast-talking con man out of the scale model and into the real world. Even if you can't catch everything he says—he speaks in clipped grunts with a highly variable cadence—you'll walk away impersonating him. This character, from his clothes to his growl to his lurching and reeling body movements, is a touchstone of movies not unlike the the Tramp in the 1910s and Jack Sparrow in the 2000s. Beetlejuice is a villain, but that's just a slight tweak. There's a line of evolution (not to say improvement, since they're all great) through these male, clownish, unlucky, gregarious, vagabond immortals (it is not to be thought that the Tramp aged between 1914 and 1936.) Keaton is so in tune with his creation that he doesn't need a lot of screen time to make a lasting mark on the culture, but the movie is smart enough not to cheat him out of a grand sequence in the final act anyway.

Oddly though, by the time the finale comes around, the high point has already been reached. And it doesn't involve Beetlejuice at all. It's the scene where the living characters become possessed and dance around a dinner table lip-syncing Harry Belafonte's calypso song "Day-O." Catherine O'Hara shines here, acting with every face muscle and every body muscle but keeping them totally separate. The glamorous costume clothes, the blue lighting in the room, the bizarre sculptures in the background—this scene is an ingenious fusion of styles held together by Burton's pop-art sensibility. If this were all the movie had, it would be worth watching. But "Beetlejuice" is a series of original moments like this. It is so much fun, and over too soon.

Geeky Randy's summary

Author: Geeky Randy from United States
27 October 2014

1980s Burton/Keaton combo… you can't go wrong! Deals with a family haunted by a recently deceased young couple (Baldwin and Davis)—yes, it certainly sounds like a cliché horror movie, but the talented cast and the memorable scenes make it anything but, especially with Keaton in the titular role as an obnoxious ghost trying to permanently scare away the new inhabitants. As with many Burton films, the movie relies heavily on visuals (that were impressive for its time, but are now a tad dated), leaving the audience with a fun ride that is worth revisiting once every few years, but lacks any iconic characters or dialogue worth reciting.

**½ (out of four)

Creative and entertaining for the most part

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
11 October 2014

Beetlejuice is an extremely morbid but creative and funny movie made by Tim Burton and staring Winona Ryder and Micheal Keaton. It's definitely not for everyone, and a vast majority of its fans are emo and goth teenagers who like it just because it is weird without paying much thought to the story itself, but it has some great acting and soundtrack, a good use of film techniques, and a good script.

Adam and Barbra are a happy couple living in a charming if not creepy house in the country. While driving home one day they swerve to avoid a dog and their car falls off a covered bridge and into a river, and it isn't long before they discover that they're ghosts. After a while the ghost life is alright, and they also discover the Neitherworld, a strange but surprisingly professional land of the dead. However, soon the Deetz family moves in and wants to change everything. The only one who can see Adam and Barbra is the Deetz' goth daughter, Lydia. Adam and Barbra soon find themselves relying on a "bio-exorcist" to be rid of the humans, but is he helpful, or harmful? I saw this as a kid and have viewed it once or twice a year; the soundtrack is wonderful, the acting is great, and, let's face it, this certainly is an original story, albeit very dark at times.

My problem with the movie was Lydia's stereotypical goth personality. It is way overdone, to the point where it's annoying and fake and you want to shout, "okay, she's a goth, she likes weird stuff, we get the point, can we move on with the film?" Winona Ryder does do a very good acting job, but her character was just another spoiled, angst-ridden kid who think her life is worse off than everybody else's. Her parents offer to build her a darkroom for crying out loud! I wish I had one so that I could stop having to send my photos off to Wal-Mart's inept photo lab. Her reply to her parents' offer is, "my whole life is a dark room, one big dark room". They buy her Cantonese food - "I'm planning to have a stroke from the MSG". She's spoiled, self-entitled, self-pitying, whiny and annoying. Though her character improves slightly as the film goes on, she still continues to spout gothy lines left and right, and it's just ridiculous. I mean come on, wearing a black lace veil like the ones that widows wear to funerals, to the dinner table? Saying that her goth attitude is the reason she can see ghosts? It's not cool, it's not funny, it's not cute, it's just silly and stupid. It's too bad, because it nearly overclouds Ryder's excellent acting job.

Beetlejuice's character was played very well, as was the role of well-meaning but annoying Delia Deetz. It's a Tim Burton movie so you'll recognize his style within the first fifteen minutes or so.

Check out Beetlejuice, it's pretty good (although my favorite Tim Burton film is Edward Scissorhands). It was also adapted to a cartoon TV series for kids that you might want to see as well.

Good

Author: Harriet Deltubbo from United States
1 September 2014

After seeing the previews I thought I'd be disappointed; it just seemed wrong. However, on viewing the film I must say the persons involved did a credible job.

The dichotomy in reviewer assessments of BEETLEJUICE has, I fear, more to do with the reviewers' life experiences than the film. The movie itself is nothing that special, but it has some good stuff.

I found the acting to be sensational, the dialogue incredible and the director's abilities to be up to par and then some. It reminds me of some of those sombre Japanese films that were popular back in the 1960s.

Wacky and Totally Unique

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
6 August 2014

Bearing in mind that I have not yet seen all of director Tim Burton's films, I personally think Beetlejuice might be his very strangest effort. This is made even stranger, considering how absurdly normal the first 10ish minutes are. But that's as long as things remain familiar. After that, the film is turned on its head, and never looks back. It's a wacky, crazy ride, but it's absolutely worth taking.

A young couple - Barbara and Adam - are quietly enjoying their vacation in a house in the country, when they suddenly perish in an unfortunate car accident. And yet, they return home, possibly unharmed. That is, until they find a book they don't recall owning: Handbook for the Recently Deceased. It is at that moment when they discover that they are both dead. To make matters worse, an obnoxious family moves into the house, and Barbara and Adam want them gone. So in order to make them leave, they realize they must scare the family away. When their efforts prove fruitless, they turn to the nutty and unpredictable bio- exorcist known as Betelgeuse.

Beetlejuice is as inventive and unique as a film is likely to get. The concept is interesting, and while the execution leaves a bit to be desired, it does provide an effective balance of comedy and horror. The writing isn't always terribly strong - with plot points and dilemmas that seem to be made up on the spot in order for the film to keep moving - but the film gets by on the wacky atmosphere and creative visuals.

The title character, Betelgeuse, actually gets surprisingly little screen time. He is present for about 30 minutes of the 92 minute run- time, which is unexpected. However, the Betelgeuse character is wildly energetic, and some will find the character to be unbearable. The 30 minutes of time the character is allotted is just enough for him to have a significant presence in the film without becoming an nuisance. He remains an enjoyable aspect of the film, thanks to his limited screen time.

The cast of actors are all a delight to watch. Michael Keaton often gets singled out as the highlight, but I think Catherine O'Hara, Jeffery Jones, Glenn Shadix and Sylvia Sidney are just as enjoyable. Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and Winona Ryder get the thankless job of portraying the normal characters (or at least what passes for normal in this film).

Danny Elfman's score is very much like the film: wild, zany, and very enjoyable. While it may be too high energy for some, few would deny its effectiveness and enthusiasm.

Beetlejuice is a wild romp that's highly imaginative and wickedly entertaining. While some will certainly hate this film, the right crowd will find the whole affair to be deliciously nutty. There's a slew of memorable scenes (the dinner scene in particular is properly laugh-out- loud funny), and trippy environment that the film creates is worth experiencing. Beetlejuice isn't for everyone, but whether you love it or hate it, one thing's for sure: You'll never see anything like it.

An imaginative, eccentric macabre extravaganza

Author: silva-w-pius from United Kingdom
24 April 2014

There are very few directors currently working in Hollywood today that you will describe as unequivocal auteur of their own films. The few examples you could point to would be Martin Scorsese and Wes Anderson, whose every film almost seems to have been single handily sculpted by their own very bare hands, adorning each with their signature and flare. But as good as those two are, for me the grandmaster of auteur directors in our modern day world of film is indisputably Tim Burton; known for such classics as Edward Scissor Hands and Alice in Wonderland, is the very godfather of black comedies, quirky characters and zany plot lines, three characteristics that I could also use to describe Beetle Juice. An imaginative, eccentric macabre extravaganza that paradoxically inspires both fear and humour in its audience as they sit down entranced by every outlandish, skittle coloured nightmarish frame that Tim Burton wonders us with.

Beetle Juice tells of unfortunate tale of a newlywed couple Barbara and Adam Maitland, (Alex Bald and Geena Davis) find themselves trapped amongst the dead after a fateful accident involving a dog, a river and a bridge. But the mere fact that they are dead, which is quiet hard for them to come to terms with it at first. But that just the good news, the actual worst bit of their predicament is that they find themselves trapped in their house with the excruciatingly irritating Delia Deetz wonderfully played by Catherine O'Hara, who is so annoying she makes all younger brothers and sister the world over look like delightful saints. Delia comes accompanied by her husband Charles (Jeffrey Jones) and their eccentric daughter Lydia, who looks like she could be queen of the Goths as well as a long lost relative of the Adams family all at once, but she turns out to be an actually nice person - I guess you should never judge a book by its cover. But after a lot of failed attempts to scare the Deetz family out of the house, involving such pathetic fêtes as using a bed sheet with eye holes cut out, something that even Casper the friendly ghost would be embarrassed by. The couple admit defeat and turn to the foul mouthed, belching, farting and idiotic self proclaimed "bio-exorcist" known as "Beetle Juice" played expertly, hilariously and with ferocious abandon by Michael Keaton (Batman). But unlucky for everyone, the deceitful and rotten Beetle Juice is not a person to be trusted...

Warren Skaaren and Michael McDowell screenplay is full of laugh out loud moments brought upon by dastardly, demonic one liners that always promise to pack a punch, couple that with Tim Burtons ingeniously choreographed special effects, set designs and make up and styling which they rightly earned Beetle Juice a Oscar for and topped of with perfectly crafted offbeat, wacky performances from the entire cast, all of which help make Beetle Juice a electrifying, exhilaratingly fantastic watch best served with the lights switched off and the volume turned up.