IMDb > Beaches (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This movie was good

Author: hernan_amado from Texas
16 May 2001

I really liked this movie, especially the ending, it was kind of sad, and the music is cool, I hope everybody will see this movie. I like Barbara Hershey's performance in this movie as well as in "the portrait of a lady"

Good, but sometimes boring (SPOILERS!!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Author: NDStricken84 from Plantation, Florida
2 October 2000

This movie was incredibly acted, but doomed from beginning to end. I knew from the time that they first met that one of them would die, but I wish it could have been the mean bch Bette Midler. Oh Well, you win some you lose some. The ending still made me cry.

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
9 July 1999

Tender comedy-drama about a friendship between two different ladies that lasts for 30 years. Midler and Hershey carry the film, but the story lacks polish and a cohesive structure.

A somewhat good movie

Author: cinematic_aficionado (cinematokrisis@gmail.com) from London, England
18 May 2004

Beaches is one of those films that you enjoy watching possibly talk about, if you are very emotional you might even weep, however it does not stand out as one of the great movies as it is a bit tacky.

It follows the trials of a lifelong friendship between two girls on holiday and later two women, with their ups and downs.

A nice story not badly portrayed with a cheesy soundtrack, I think the best part was the idea that with life's ups and downs you can get through anything if you have a true friend.

No matter what!!!

Not for me but many may like it.

Author: triple8 from Conn
15 August 2003

Usually, I love stories about friendships. Since one's friends are one of the most important things in life, any movie that makes this the subject matter ought to be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't like Beaches. I have read some wonderful reviews of the movie on this site and can appreciate the film maybe right for some people but for me it fell short.

Someone on this site mentioned in their review it seemed promising and then disintegrated into just another "chick flick". I agree with that, they nailed it on the head. The movie just tried to hard.

I had to comment on this one because so many people love this film and I almost wanted to love it to just because of it's poignancy. That's just the problem.

The audience was supposed to love it. Supposed to cry at certain points. Supposed to do a lot of things.

I don't like "contrived" movies or movies that are almost DIRECTING your emotions. (Oh, let's put a really emotional scene in here, so everyone will cry etc etc etc etc).

I felt this was way to contrived and (as with another thing I hate) was much to long. Honestly, the movie seemed about 6 hours long, it just didn't end. And I did indeed agree with this other poster that this could have been a lot more but DID just morph into another predictable chick flick.

I consider Thelma and Louise my favorite movie (some may not agree with me, that's OK.) That to me is a story about friendship. It is very different from "beaches" and much more my type of movie. But to each their own, and if you have not seen this and like a good tear jerker chick flick that DOES(I'll give it that) show a very beautiful relationship between the 2 stars, rent it.

Chick Flick

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
13 January 2003

"Beaches" is a decent film that unfortunately regresses into another emotionally controlling, predictable, cheesy chick flick from the beginning. Bette Midler does well, Barbara Hershey is okay, and the supporting cast is nothing special.

Is it a surprise that Garry Marshall, director of "Pretty Woman" and "Runaway Bride" directed this? I think not.

Most women will probably like it, but guys will most likely shrug it off.

2/5 stars --

John Ulmer

Inferior drama

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
27 October 2002

Bette Midler's early film acting years were not especially good as I can't find anything worth recommending in such films as "Down And Out In Beverly Hills", "Ruthless People" and "Outrageous Fortune." "Beaches" is the worst one of all. It tries to be a genuine tearjerker about the life threatening events that disrupt a lifelong friendship between two women (Midler, Barbara Hershey) but it winds up just being laughable instead. Fortunately, Midler's film career would gradually begin to improve after this one.

May induce vomiting

Author: autumnshowers from Heart of the Tao
30 May 2004

As I cleared the larger chunks of regurgitant from my throat yet again, I sat back, a lump of hard mucus in my throat, and took another long drink from the 72 oz. soda I'd purchased earlier in the lobby. My then girlfriend had been sobbing since the previews, through the credits, and incessantly throughout the film. I had my arm around her, frequently drifting into daydream where we could be alone, away from the movie, and I could be working her over with a ballbat. I'd give you something to cry about, I muttered, as the bile rose again to my throat. Choking, I lurched forward, popcorn and soda firing into the seat ahead. I patted my pouting puella who clearly was forcing every possible ounce of moisture out of her body through her tearducts in mock deaththroes, and forced myself to glance briefly at the screen. Insipid, redundant, utter tripe melodrama filled the screen. I begun to laugh but then the rush came again, as my throat filled once more... Not recommend for those fond of human dignity or nutritional retention.

Women's film

Author: Mort-31 from Vienna, Austria
4 December 2000

This is one of those typical women's films. If you changed the lead characters into man it would be unbelievable. Therefore, I think every other male viewer of the film will agree with me that it was quite irritating to hear all that screaming and shreeking and crying. The frame - two women having a long friendship with lots of ups and downs - is not original at all; neither is the story at any point. I believe the film was made only in order to give Barbara Hershey a leading role.

After all, there are some positive things to mention: The young actresses playing CC and Hillary at the beginning are really sweet and amazingly similar to their older equivalents. The songs CC sings are amusing as are the sets of her musicals.

That's not a bad movie - it's just not particularly new. Housewives will like it.

I'm a sucker for these types of sugary melodramas, but 'Beaches' is more sugar substitute than anything...

Author: Eddy Durnan
10 May 2005

Beaches

After receiving some disturbing news, CC Bloom (Bette Midler) abandons her upcoming music concert and travels across the country. As she drives her car, she recalls when she, then an aspiring starlet, first met a lost girl, Hillary Essex (Barbara Hershey), on a beach thirty years ago. Instantly developing a friendship, the two girls would not see each other in person again for several years, but stayed in contact through letters. Hillary, now a college student, decides to put her law studies on hold and move to New York City to find CC, who is working as a lounge singer and struggling actress, and who instantly takes Hillary under her wing.

Okay, I have to admit that I'm a sucker for these sugary melodramas (as long as they are done well, like 'Steel Magnolias'), but 'Beaches' is more sugar substitute than anything. Every moment of the film is designed for maximum emotional effect, and you can literally feel Garry Marshall stuffing the onions up to your eyes during the final act. It's just so manipulative and trite. 'Beaches' is lost in a sea of marriages, divorces, babies, terminal illnesses, and everything else that you're likely to find in your average television movie of the week. Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey are alright, but they're mismatched, and the child actresses that play their characters at the beginning of the film are a lot better. There's one mildly moving moment, where Midler's song "Wind Beneath My Wings" is used, but that moment was never earned. I really thought I'd like this movie, but it ends up that it may be the second most annoyingly corny movie ever after 'My Girl'.

~ 4/10 ~