IMDb > The Accused (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Accused

The Accused More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of the finest pieces of cinema

Author: Davis P from United States
3 July 2016

The accused truly is one of the best pieces of film I've ever seen in my life. First of all, Jodie foster just absolutely shines in her starring role. Jody really brings the emotion and the raw realness, I mean there is absolutely no doubt that her character was raped in the movie, her performance is so focused and it is absolutely heartbreaking, you will most definitely need to bring tissues if you decide to view this film. Kelly is amazing here too, she works absolutely tirelessly for Jodie and her case, and you can see the clear dedication in her character to bring true, honest justice. The dialogue and the script is so top notch and it really brings the entire movie to life. The movie also brings the issue of rape to life, it shine some light on rape victims and the entire issue of rape and how it affects the victims. It also shows that no participant should ever be let off the hook or get away, because truthfully, even if you don't physically rape someone if you cheer them on, then you are participating, and you are just as guilty as the actual rapist(s). This movie depicts that rather graphically in one scene, which was 100% needed and necessary for the movie, it needed to depict and show the actual assault in order for the audience to get the full/entire affect of that occurred. I definitely recommend the accused to mature audiences that can handle the tough subject matter and want to see a fantastic drama.

Just brilliant!

Author: joclarke76 from United Kingdom
27 November 2001

I thought this was an extremely brave film to make - especially for Hollywood. I was enthralled by the performances, and was glued to the screen from start to finish. Well done to all those involved -especially Jodie Foster who was just brilliant in the leading role!

Jodie Foster is outstanding ....what a role and a movie.

Author: Nocgirl72 from Phx, AZ
24 December 2001

I rented this movie this weekend so my boyfriend could see it. We both are mesmerized by the awesome performance of Jodie Foster. I think she won an Academy award for her role in this film and she truly deserved it. This movie was based on a true story about a milestone court case.

Jodie Foster plays Sarah Tobias-a woman who is a heavy drinker and partier, sometimes drug user and overall, white trash. She goes into a bar, gets drunk and very flirtatious with a few patrons, and winds up being gang raped. Not only does her attorney go after the men who commited the rape, she tries to prosecute the men in the bar who clapped and cheered it on. Sarah as alot going against her due to her questionable character, but does that mean she had the rape coming to her?

This movie tells an incredible story and its hard to take your eyes off the screen just for a minute. One of my favorite movies of all time. 9/10.

I didn't enjoy it

Author: Medusa13 from United States
12 February 2003

It was a horrible experience watching this "film" and I will never be able to look at a pinball machine the same again. Actually, I think I was originally warped by Tommy. SPOILERS??? Sarah (Jodie Foster) is raped in a bar by three or so men, while a group of drunks clap and cheer. She takes the case to trial, of course, where the accused are not only the rapists, but the on-lookers, particularly the ones who cheered the rape on. The subject matter is not pleasant, the atmosphere is dismal, and I can't think of any redeeming qualities. The movie did nothing for me. As for Foster, let's just say, I didn't see what the big deal was. But that's just my opinion. I give this a 5 out of 10. It is not worth it. I don't think so.

Am I the only one?

Author: Susan Osborn from San Diego, CA
28 February 2007

I saw this movie many years ago and recently watched it again. While Jodie Foster's acting was very good, and the movie is a good movie, the thought occurred to me, why was there absolutely no mention of Jodie Foster's character's behavior? Now before I get jumped on, why are you blaming the victim? kind of stuff, let me explain. I am not blaming the victim. First of all, yes, rape is a terrible crime and the men responsible for the rape were punished (although it was through a plea deal which I don't agree with) but that aside, look at the rape scene. A young woman goes into a bar to meet her friend. She gets drunk, goes into the back room (which is full of guys who aren't feeling any pain either) with a guy she doesn't know, smokes a little pot, is flirting big time with this guy, a seductive song starts playing on the jukebox, she starts dancing and her tank top is almost falling off her. She motions for this guy to dance with her, and then that's when things get out of hand, and the rape happens. Don't you think somewhere in the movie there should have been something said about her behavior? Not that she was "asking for it" but you don't dangle red meat in front of hungry lions, either. I just think women (especially young women) would have been better served if somewhere in the movie part of the message would have been to take responsibility for your own behavior, too. I just think it's a mistake to ignore it.

exceptional and unforgettable drama-movie with the best performance by jodie foster

Author: Donnie Brown (TheRealMoviegoers_usa02) from Jakarta, Indonesia
27 September 2002

I think the best of this movie-what make this movie so special and great-are 1.the plot(that's so..very interesting and excellent!) 2.Jodie Foster's performance(what a great,terrific and excellent actress she is!)3.the conflict and scenes(it's too amazing and wonderfull).The 3 Elements were making this movie so greatfull,unspeakable and..unbelievable!You have to watch it!could be open you low-morality and change it!every woman have to watch this and know how "beast" named men were very cruel!

Could have been a lot better

Author: clone-cloak from Nepal
20 January 2011

I watched this movie for Jodie Foster and she is the only one who carries this movie through. Kelly McGillis has nothing to add to the movie. She had a good role and she could not do justice to it. What this movie needed was a strong performance form her and she could not give it. She has slept right through the film. The courtroom scene should have had more conviction. The story is pretty well written the dialogues could have been better especially in the courtroom scene. The ending is expected.

Watch the movie for Jodie Foster and the story. Do not have any high expectations form it.

never blame the victim

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 January 2007

Jodie Foster broke out of her teenage persona in "The Accused", in which she masterfully portrays a rape victim seeking justice. The movie shows how, as often seems to happen, the raped woman gets accused of bringing the rape upon herself because of how she dressed. But her character understands what she has to do. Equally as good is Kelly McGillis as her attorney trying to prove that not only did the men rape her client, but several other men encouraged the rape. A particularly effective scene is when Foster decides to take revenge on one of the men who encouraged the rape; you can feel what she's thinking.

All in all, this is a movie that I recommend to everyone. It shows how our society stigmatizes women, but also reminds us never to give up hope. Perfect.

Average at best law film, with great acting 5/10

Author: The_Wood from United States
17 February 2002

The Accused has only one message it has to say: Rape is bad. This truth is already known and it sticks in the head of any moral person -- without them having to be told multiple times. The film does no real justice to the subject matter of rape, except to point out that it is wrong. The acting is great in the film, but there is nothing that makes this film superior to any other episode of LA Law or Law & Order. The court room scenes are dull, and it just keeps going on and on. Worth a viewing on cable, but the film just can't live up the hype it was awarded by the Academy Awards.

Okay, at best

Author: Boyo-2
1 October 1999

This is TV movie material, not even elevated by Jodie's performance. Why did she win an Oscar for such a mediocre movie? McGillis is wooden, and the only person who delivers the goods was Carmen Argenziano, as McGillis' boss. Not worth your time and the rape scene takes too long.

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]