IMDb > "The Wonder Years" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Wonder Years"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Wonder Years" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of the most memorable television programs of recent years

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
13 January 2003

When I think about the programs that my family enjoyed when my brother and I were younger, this one always comes off as the most memorable, mainly because my family spent quality time together watching this show. Now, at 20 years old, this show is still as memorable and holds up against the test of time.

"The Wonder Years" is a period dramedy told from the point-of-view of adult Kevin Arnold (narration of Daniel Stern), and recalls Kevin's adolescence during the turbulent times of the late 1960s and 1970s. Kevin (played brilliantly by Fred Savage) comes of age in suburbia in a neighborhood that many of our parents (including my mom) grew up in. Kevin lives in a ranch house with his parents, Jack (Dan Lauria), an accountant, Norma (Alley Mills) a housewife, and his older siblings, hippie Karen (Olivia D'Abo) and smart-alecky Wayne (Jason Hervey). He has a childhood sweetheart in Gwendolyne "Winnie" Cooper (Danica McKellar), and a best friend in lovable geek Paul Pfeiffer (Josh Saviano). Kevin deals with normal situations that is territorial with adolesence--first loves, heartbreak, middle school, high school, puberty, and growing up. Kevin grows up in uncertain times, much like children are today. Each episode is a chapter in Kevin's life, and follows him between the ages of 13 and 18--the most crucial years of growing up.

When this show was made, they definitely looked at the lives of teenagers. The characters were realistic, and no matter when you grew up, you could relate. Everyone could relate to Kevin, and many felt his adolescent pain. You knew your parents were overburdening, but realized later that they were only trying to help you. Everyone had a sibling like Wayne, and possibly like Karen.

I'm a product of the 1980s, and being born in 1982 put me out of the loop in regard to what the 1960s and 1970s were really like. My parents came of age in this decade, so they easily related to Kevin. The situations were comical, and this show was always good, clean fun. The humor wasn't overburdening, but it was evident, and we always laughed, but it also impacted you and made you think after it was all over. This show premired when my brother and I were only 5, and we watched it with our parents every week until it went off the air. I don't think this show ever was capable of cancellation, but it went out the way it was intended, and it left an indellible impression on this generation. When the reruns returned to television on Nick-at-Nite in 1998, my classmates and I, already in ninth grade, began to watch again. Now, I'm a sophomore in college, and if I can catch the reruns on ABC Family during the week, I'm thrilled. I truly miss this show, and watching reruns brings back great memories.

I don't have a favorite episode or memory--I have many favorite episodes and memories. Two of the moments that I can still remember vividly are when Winnie's older brother died in Vietnam and Kevin and Winnie shared their first kiss, and when Kevin's math teacher died. My mom, brother, and I always used to laugh (and still do) at my dad, who resembles Jack Arnold. We could be talking about something funny during dinner, and my father will sit there, stone-faced, much like Jack always did. I used to love when they'd ask him a question, and he would utter a low growl. While my dad has NEVER done that, he has always resembled Jack. Only now, several years later, he finds it funny that we thought that of him.

This was a wonderful show that never wore out its welcome, and continues to entertain those who catch the reruns. If you have the chance in your hectic day, as I sometimes do, catch a rerun or set your VCR to tape an episode for you. Relive a classic television program that continues to entertain and inspire years later. You certainly won't regret it.

Nostalgia Hurts

Author: mayurdeepz from Malaysia
1 November 2004

I have never had so much fun watching TV before or after "The wonder years". Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper were my friends and I could not possible imagine life without them. So many years after the show ended when I saw Kevin Arnold's pic in one of my friends computer screen NOSTALGIA did HURT. I mean it brought back memories of the yesteryears. It was very easy to relate to everything that Kevin was going through although I was from another world in India. His love interest the cute Winnie Cooper made it all the more interesting. Loved his best friend, though he did look like a nerd. I specially remembered a scene when Kevin kissed Winnie in the beach. Saying this might sound like saying a lot but it is just the truth. Sometimes the show seemed to me more important the books that I studied in school. A tutorial. It will always be close to my heart and fondly remembered. I can assume its like this for many of us around the world. Miss you Kevin.

A rarity amongst TV sitcoms

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
6 December 1999

This show has an engaging cast with stories set in the 1960s that involved down-to-earth, realistic plots. That's the real wonder of THE WONDER YEARS. It is far superior to most sitcoms because it isn't really a sitcom -- in other words it isn't based on silly situations and lame-brained characters.

The show is about growing up and the discovery of human nature. The writing has a depth unlike that of most TV shows. The humor is genuine, not based on typical TV contrived situations and shallow clowning. This is destined to be one of the classics of TV series.

Looking Back With Wonder...

Author: BettieTeese from Australia
12 March 2005

The Wonder Years truly was a great television sitcom in its time,and for those of us who still enjoy the re runs,it is still much loved today.Kevin Arnold was the typical all American teenage boy we all felt close to,even if he was just a character that doe eyed actor Fred Savage brought to life.We followed his daily trials and tribulations,using his experiences to reflect on our own.The sitcom's true to life story lines,comedy,drama and nostalgic tone contributed to the show's success and made watching it enjoyable.The Wonder Years could make you laugh,make you cry,make you remember what it was like to be 12 years old,and in love,as we fondly watched the relationship between Kevin and his dream girl Winnie Cooper,blossom,overcoming all the obstacles along the way.The closing dialogue of this magical sitcom will forever be remembered: Growing up happens in a heartbeat.One day you're in diapers,the next you're gone.But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.I have fond memories of the Wonder Years,and enjoy watching the re runs.Hopefully the complications will be overcome in the near future,and the magic of this memorable sitcom can be re lived on DVD.

A Real Classic...Excellent Show

Author: huggy_bear from NC
23 January 2003

I can remember watching Kevin Arnold growing up, from 1988 until the shows end in 1993. This is a show where you can actually say, "Yeah, that happened to me too" at some point in every episode. The episode that relates best to me is the one where Kevin is trying to call the prettiest girl in class, and dials every number but the last one. He is scared of rejection, I suppose. I can remember doing the same thing at that age. And the on again, off again relationship between Kevin and Winnie was priceless, just the way it was "back in the day". I wish there were more shows like this one on now, but we are given the choice now of watching these pathetic reality programs that SUCK, and appear to entertain only the braindead of society (mostly college kids).

This has to be the most realistic show ever!

Author: Condore21 from New Jersey, USA
19 December 2002

Wonder years for me was about growing up. I can still remember my father and I sitting in the living room watching that magnificent show. My mother on the other hand, couldn't stand the show. I could never tell why. I think that everyone when they were growing up knew a Paul Pieffer, a Winnie Cooper, a Doug Porter, Lisa Berlini, Becky Slater, Eddie Pentti, Charles "Chuck" Coleman, Randy Mitchell, and even a Greg Hobson. We all have experienced those one or two teachers that actually cared about how we did in school. The show can relate to our first crush, first kiss, first car (1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS)still have it BTW. Even our corny school dances. I guess as we get older good things fade away. Although the show might didn't last as long as we would have liked it to, The Wonder Years will forever be a part of me, and may it always stay in my memory.

Best coming of years show ever made.

Author: Bigmoose from On the can.
26 March 2000

I love this show. I remember when I was five sitting down in front of the tube and watching it, with my eyes wide, and my face stretched to the max with a smile. I can still remember coming home from school and watching it, and clinging on to every word like a good book. This show helped me grow up.

One of the best shows about growing up in the suburbs

Author: KRJ548 from United States
8 August 2003

With all the hype of reality shows these days, "The Wonder Years" remains one of my favorite "reality-like" shows about growing up. With today's meaningless sex and money-driven reality shows, there are no solid, relevant ones for people who just want to be able to sit back and reminisce what it was like growing up in the suburbs.

The best thing about this show was its remarkable ability to depict all aspects of a teen's everyday life--friends, relationships, family, and self, and how these things can change your entire outlook on yourself and your relationships with others. Even the simplest things make a big difference in life--and this show proves it.

Another wonderful thing about this show is that everybody--no matter how "different" you are--can relate to it. Even though the show surrounded 60's and 70's pop culture, still you can always find some problem or conflict within each episode that correlates with your own life.

Shows like "The Wonder Years" will always outstand the cornucopia of boring reality shows of the ages. It's too bad more shows like this one aren't made these days.

A nostalgic blast from the past

Author: James05 from Canada
14 November 2004

The Wonder Years is an authentic look back into adolesence. In the wonder years we see young Kevin Arnold explore the world of denial, friendship, hate and love. Never in my life have i seen a more perfect depiction of life as a young teen. The hardships with school, friends, your older brother, and the girl that lives on your street; these are all realistic struggles and very easy to identify with. For generations to come, teens will continue to relate to this wonderful show. I will never forget this timeless series of family values and life long lessions; "Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, next you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul."

truely wonderful

Author: steph_hhh83 from usa
11 August 2001

No matter how many times i see this i can watch it over and over the same episode. I love this show. I've watched it from beginning to end. Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper were my favorite. But i'm sure everybody liked them. I give this show 10/10. I love this show.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]