IMDb > "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Whose Line Is It Anyway?"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Whose Line Is It Anyway?" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This made me pee my pants.

Author: chthon2 from Orlando, USA
29 July 2003

That's right, I said it. I normally wouldn't be this honest, but this is the internet, so no one knows who I am anyway. Mike McShane said something about a German U-boat once, and I was already laughing so hard, that did it. I couldn't hold it in anymore. Luckily, I was watching it alone in my room at the time, so no one saw (this was when I was still in high school and in my parents house). I don't see how you couldn't laugh at this show. To do improv is a truly hard thing, but these people pull it off. One of the greatest shows EVER.

Organised chaos...

Author: Yak-6 from Cranbourne, Australia
13 May 1999

This is a great show. You never really know what is going to happen next, particularly if Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops and/or Tony Slattery are playing. All the same, I still think the British version is funnier than the American version.

TONY RULES

Author: (lowerexpo@yahoo.com) from Anaheim, California
19 February 2003

The best thing about this show was Tony Slattery. He was the best improviser on the show, ever since he did he first show. He brought unpredictability to the show. He even did crazy impersonations, funny dances, and was not afraid to do anything. He even comes up with the best hoedowns.

Yes, Ryan and Colin are classic performers, but Tony was the real deal. He made me laugh the most. He defined Whose Line. Some word of advice to ABC: BRING TONY BACK.

And God said let there be comedy...And he created Whose Line is it Anyway

Author: DontMochMe from il, usa
15 November 2000

The god of comedy that is. I would give this show, on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), a...10000000(etc) If you have not seen this show, a crime in some states, you absolutely MUST see it! Besides being a British comedy fan overall, the contestants are hilarious! Dare I say you've heard of the mighty Proopdog, Greg Proops, or King of Innuendo, Tony Slattery, Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Josie Lawrence...Somebody stop me, I could go on forever! Why are they so great? you dare ask... Well, for starters, they make everything up on the spot aka IMPROV! Can you do that...As good as they can? Of course not! Once, I laughed so hard I began choking on the Twiglets I was eating. (To my fellow Americans: A Twiglet is a British pretzel/bisquit type thing.) With all the games they play (all improv mind you) you'll be thanking me for recommending you to this wonderful show. Oh, yes, if I haven't mentioned it before, Clive Anderson is a comical genius (he's the host). So, you know what to do! Stop reading this and go watch it! GO! Well, the channel would help...Comedy Central, (9:30 and 2:00, but that is central) Ciao!

A comedy show you have to pay attention to

Author: corner-2 from Netanya, Israel
10 June 2006

I once had a conversation with some people about "Whose Line Is It Anyway". One intelligent, educated young man said he didn't like to watch it because "you have to pay attention." In other words, for him (and a few tens of millions of others) television entertainment is meant only to pass the time, not to keep you interested. On the other hand, for anyone who wants to be totally glued to the set, listening carefully for every line, this is a wonderful show.

The original, British MC, Clive Anderson, is far superior to the American version's Drew Carey, who seems to kill some of the humor (or humour, if you are British). But the cast of four improv comics are astonishing, and are funny more of the time than sitcom performers working with a carefully written script.

If you want your comedy really laugh-out-loud funny rather than just amusing enough to spend a half hour with, this show is for you.

Improv at its best

Author: sngbrd39 from US
22 August 2000

As many people have pointed out before, this is one of the very few IMDb entries with absolutely no completely negative reviews. This honor is well deserved. IMHO, "Whose Line" is the funniest show on TV, and it's great that we are once again seeing the British version in America. I missed it the first time around, so it was a new experience to me when I sat in front of the TV on New Year's Day watching the marathon which heralded its return to Comedy Central. I had been hooked on the American version ever since it started, so I was curious as to how good the British ones were. I was not disappointed in the least. The British version is just as funny as the American, at times, even funnier. I just wish I understood more of the British references, like those to Jeremy Beatle or the movie "El Dorado" which I have yet to figure out.

It's kind of funny to see how the performers who we still see on the American version have changed and aged since the British ones. Josie Lawrence is the biggest example. When she made an appearance on the American "Whose Line", she had whacked off a lot of that long, beautiful hair of hers. Also, she looked a lot paler and her voice was deeper. Seeing these changes just testifies to the lasting power of the show, which barely missed a beat coming to America from England. May it be on as long in America as it was in England (even though its timeslot across from "Friends" won't help much)!

"This courtroom is a mochrie!"

Author: kclambeth from United Kingdom
8 February 2008

I am so glad DAVE started playing these as i had only seen the US version and clips on youtube until then.

It is one of the most hilarious shows on TV and far superior to the US version; don't get me wrong, i do like the American one but got bored of the same performers each time, it became real repetitive. The skill of the improvisation is amazing in the British version especially in the dreaded hoe-down.

What i like most about this version is the versatility of the performers, you had Brits, Americans, Canadians, Australians and maybe more that i can't even think of. Each of the performers had their own individual talents; Josie Lawrence and Mike McShane naturals at 'song styles' whilst Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie worked great together in 'scene to music' or 'sound effects'.

My favourtite player is Tony Slattery as he always has me in stitches but everyone is brilliant including Josie, Mike, Ryan, Colin, Steve Frost, Paul Merton, Jim Sweeney, Niall Ashdown and many more.

My other favourite player is Greg Proops, he has such wit and the banter between him and Clive Anderson is very funny. I love Clive as the host, he his so sharp witted (unlike Drew Carey who makes me want to switch off the TV every time he speaks) There is a huge selection of games too,some of my favourites being 'film and theatre styles', 'Party quirks', 'bartender' and 'superhereos'. There are some dodgy ones though (i'm not keen on 'moving people' or 'helping hands' much) but the games and players are always different so you never get bored.

I hope it keeps playing on the DAVE channel so others who missed it first time round can see it now.

Best improvised comedy show ever

Author: Daphne Moon from United Kingdom
5 February 2008

I hadn't seen this show until it was repeated on Dave. I became aware of it after seeing The Comedy Store Players, a group of comedians which includes Josie Lawrence.

I enjoy the unpredictability of Whose Line is it Anyway and the diversity of the performers. The fact that the show had both English and American comedians made it better.

The best performance ever had to be when Josie Lawrence and Caroline Quentin sung a duet about a beached whale. Admitedly that description may not sound funny, but if you've seen it you'll know how good it was.

Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles were a great double act. They were particularly good at the round where they were given two completely random lines to incorporate into a sketch.

Other improv shows such as Mock The Week are good, but Whose Line is it Anyway will always be the king of Improvised Comedy shows

Bring this show back, please!

Author: Metalfairy from Birmingham, England
17 January 2008

I do not think I have watched any comedy series without laughing 90% of every single show. The guests have always been top notch (perhaps with the exception of Ardal O Hanlon) and they never fail to make me laugh. This is what I believe to be true comedy, the art of improvisation. You get something different every time and it must require great talent to adapt to these situations so quickly! Highlights of this programme include Party Quirks and Standing, sitting, bending. Clive Anderson makes a very droll host. I believe the British version to be superior due to less whooping from the audience (although the American audiences are better participators!). Although we have our fair share of great comedians on here including Tony Slattery, Jim Sweeney and Josie Lawrence to name but a few, the Americans and Canadians bring a fair share of laughter. My particular favourite is Ryan Stiles, who in my eyes is a modern comedy genius! Closely followed by the lovely Colin Mochrie.

I thoroughly recommend this program. Comedy has never been done so good.

Best show on TV-PERIOD!

Author: DarkHelmet-1
28 April 2001

This show is hilarious! Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, Tony Slattery, Josie Lawrence, Steve Frost, Mike McShane, and Paul Merton are all on my list of the funniest people alive! And Clive Anderson makes a great moderator-type host! A classic! Anyone who is thinking about ever doing improv should see it!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]