IMDb > "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" More at IMDbPro »

Definitely For Kids and Preschoolers Only

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
6 January 2007

I had stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons in 1986, but in 1988, I did sneak a peak at this new Scooby Doo series, which I believe Hanna Barbera wanted to do with the Scooby characters what they already did with the Flintstone Kids in 1986.

The only thing consistent that never changed was that the late Don Messick and Casey Kasem voiced over the child versions of Scooby Doo and Shaggy who never changed, even as kids.

Now for the good news /bad news. The good news is the original gang is all back together. The bad news is, Velma, Daphne, and Freddy have drastically changed in personality. Velma, now with the IQ of 2000, barely speaks and when she says Jinkees,everybody makes a big deal out of it. Daphne is a spoiled rotten rich snob, who doesn't believe in ghosts and always calls on her butler Jenkins. And last but certainly not least, my favorite character Freddy underwent the most drastic change of all. Freddy has been drastically dumbed down and now has the IQ of -10 and he's a tabloid freak who loves to read the National Exaggerator and he blames everything on the neighborhood bully, Red Herring, plus Freddy has become an idiot conspiracy theorist whose theories are so stupid, some news anchor will interrupt the show now and then just to comment on them. Sadly, Freddy's change of personality seems to have influenced the writers of the current animated versions of Scooby Doo out there with the direct to video movies and even the live action movies where Freddy has been slightly dumbed down.

I've watched the show only a few times, but I remember plenty. A Pup Named Scooby Doo is to me a show for kids who are either in preschool and kindergarten or maybe even younger. A stupid show, but a whole lot better than that 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo series back in 1985.

One of my fave Scooby incarnations

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
4 October 2005

The 80s were a goldmine decade of great animated shows. Stuff we got in those ten years we just don't see any more. Quite literally. I don't think we'll ever see Denver the Last Dinosaur or Centurions on DVD. One of the forgotten shows among dozens of others was A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. The Scooby-Doo franchise suffered a heavy blow in the 80s when some silly man wearing a suit thought it would be a good idea to introduce Scrappy-Doo, a highly irritating doggy who never kept his mouth shut for more than two seconds. Freddy and Velma also disappeared for a while and Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy would go off solving mysteries with just Daphne.

Desperate for a new way to re-invent the franchise, Warner gave us A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, an interesting, if failed attempt.

The show features the Mystery Inc. gang as kids and Scoob as a little puppy. The humor and animation is more offbeat and Looney-Tunes orientated but the mysteries are still substantial and the locations still occasionally Gothic and atmospheric.

Shaggy and Scooby are still voiced by Casey Kasem and Don Messick. Since they are the backbone of the show it's good to have this consistency. The childhood angle also gives us new insight into their background.

Many have criticised this show, claiming it to be aimed at under-tens and that it an embarrassment to the Scooby-Doo franchise. Well, I never found it to be that way. As a Scooby-Doo fan I thought this show was very amusing and I loved the score and songs by John Debney. There should be a soundtrack CD released. It really is a shame it never lasted for longer.

Since there were only 26 episodes made I can't help but be angry at Warner's awful DVD presentation of the show. Since they are releasing loads of their back-catalogue animation in beautifully packaged box sets (Premier Collections/Spotlight Collections/Golden Collections) I find it baffling that A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (a show that would have suited this format well) gets a horrid DVD release with 4 episodes per disc, a crappy snap-case box (we're STILL getting these in 2005!) and no extra features. The 1.33:1 full frame picture and Mono sound are perfectly adequate but, even though the show failed, it still deserves a much better DVD release than the one it got.

Shame on you Warner for neglecting this one instalment of a cash-cow that has generated you billions of dollars.

It's Scooby Doo"way back when"!

Author: OWUbear from Delaware, OH
17 February 2001

This show is funny, I see characters that act like dummies. Fred is into tabloids, Daphne is a spoiled rich girl, Velma carries a supercomputer. Shaggy and Scooby were always afraid, but here they're also Commander Cool and Mellow Mutt. Each episode is predictable, Freddie mentioning Red Herring or aliens as culprits, Velma entering clues into her computer, ("Jinkies!") Daphne complaining about the decor or summoning Jenkins to aid the group, and Scooby and Shaggy eating or being scared. It's so dumb it's funny!

Cute and interesting

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 March 2011

First things first, A Pup Named Scooby Doo isn't the best Scooby Doo incarnation, the original series Scooby Doo Where Are You? in my opinion is unmatched. But it is not the worst, not like the abysmal Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue. This was a cute and interesting series. Albeit it is flawed, the stories are fun if predictable, some episodes feel a little rushed and Fred and his personality annoyed me this time around. However, the animation is colourful, solid and a big step-up from the somewhat dreary style in the incarnations with Scrappy put in the equation and the music and songs by John Debney are great fun. The writing is funny, and Mystery Inc. have an easy-going chemistry still. Shaggy and Scooby never fail to bring a smile to my face, Scooby is so cute here, and I personally didn't mind Velma and Daphne here. The voice acting is solid too from Don Messick to Casey Kasem. Overall, a cute and interesting series without being definitive, but it never tried to be. I agree about the DVDs, they don't do this show any justice. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Great parody of the old series.

Author: Hastor-2 (hastor@dragoncon.net) from Anderson, SC
20 January 2002

This show is a great parody of the original Scooby Doo series. You can tell that the writers really loved the original show and it made a lot of inside jokes. If you don't know a lot about the original series, you probably wont find it as funny. For example no episode goes by without fred saying "lets split up, gang", even if its the last line in the episode. Those who think this show is a rip off just don't get it.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo is a great series!

Author: ppamjo2 from Columbus Ohio
17 May 2005

I loved this show as I was working my way through the last years of high school. The Characters has a bit of a change. Fred was kind of a dummy and he kept on blaming all the crimes on Red Herring. The neighborhood Bully. Daphny was kind of snooty and lazy. She would have her Butler Jenkens bring her a change of clothes or rid a spooky house of dust. Shaggy and Scooby were the same duo as in the original series but younger. Velma was the cute smart one.

I find it to be one of the last great shows on the 1980s. I like the skateboard that the gang would get around on. Who could forget Commander Cool and Mellow mutt. This was also one of the last series Don Messick voiced before his death in 2001 or so.

The Animation was great most of the time, but on some episodes.. the PTB could have done a better job in terms of quality... Still, A Pup named Scooby Doo is far better then. "The new Scooby Doo Mysteries" and "13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo."

Fun series

Author: Pythe from Plainfield, IL
4 April 2008

I know I'm going to make a lot of enemies here, but I have to say it: the original Scooby Doo series wasn't that great.

There. It's done.

I know I'm stepping on a lot of great memories here, but if you go back and watch Scooby Doo, Where Are You? you'll find it's hardly the sophisticated entertainment you remember from childhood. The animation looks cheap, the jokes are lame, and the characters are cardboard cutouts.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo, though a lot of fans seem to revile it, is more successful than the original, in my opinion. Because of the liberal changes made to the formula, this functions more as an affectionate spoof of Scooby Doo than a continuation of it. Freddy's character shifts from humorless leader to incompetent moron; Daphne is a spoiled rich girl whose butler will appear out of nowhere to catch her in mid-faint; and, in spite of the fact that this takes place years before the original series, Velma has state-of-the-art (as of 1988) computer technology to aid her in catching the villain. I'm not sure why people get so worked up over these changes; in their original characterizations, everyone but Shaggy and Scooby were pretty dull, anyway. What's wrong with giving them an overhaul?

The show itself was pretty formulaic (again, in the same vein as the original), but it was a fun formula. I particularly love the sequences where the kids run from (and occasionally dance with) the monster, set to groovy 1950s-style rock and roll music. Everything here is bigger than big; no-holds-barred wackiness generally ensues. And it's fun.

Interesting version of Scooby-Doo

Author: kenny_c_hueholt
1 February 2002

I always liked this show. Sure, it doesn't compare to the original series, but there are a lot of good parts: (Ex: Daphne's butler Jenkins; Fred blaming Red Herry for everything.) I also liked that they made the mysteries so that the audience could play along and find who the culprit was. This is still run on the Cartoon Network. Highly recomended.

A total rip of great characters

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
9 May 2001

I don't know much to say about this show. The music is horrible! The characters are all neurotic, high-tempered, and very annoying. Freddy has an IQ of 10, Velma has an IQ of 175, Daphne just cares about herself, Shaggy and Scooby are moderately normal. However, as crazy as this sounds, it does give clues to actually solve the mystery. They're better designed in that sense...but they're still not up to par with the original series.

You can catch this show and the originals on Cartoon Network. I highly recommend watching, "Scooby Doo Movies". They are very funny 1 hour adventures with: Batman & Robin, Penguin & Joker, Cass Elliot, Jonathan Winters, The Three Stooges, Sonny & Cher, Harlem Globetrotters, Josie & The Pussycats or Speed Buggy.

Scooby Doo's first five episodes are available on DVD also for you Scooby fans!

This is no Scooby-Doo

Author: Angels_Review from United States
13 April 2014

Oh my god! I seriously love Scooby-Doo because it's rather nostalgic for me. But this is another story. This is rather bad and when I say bad, I mean a botched rendition of a old favorite. Supposedly this is when the kids were young and did the same thing as they do when older, solving mysteries. Unfortunately, each character is so freaken shallow and they never learn anything. Daphne is a stuck up rich girl, Fred is the stupid blond, Velma is the really quiet child, and Scooby and Shaggy are well… a very over active Scooby and Shaggy. Each and every episode is practically the same; something happens, the team gets together, they get to a point that Scooby eats a snack and they split up, then they do a chase and finally catch him. Throughout the whole thing, characters show up randomly with no reason at all.

There is another annoying thing that happens through out a whole series. Fred's really wild accusations. He goes way overboard accusing aliens, government agents, even the bully Red Herring for the crazy things that are happening without even looking at the facts. Now let's break down that name for a moment, Red Herring. Can I say that that is the stupidest name for a character, not to mention Ironic as Fred always points to him first! The artwork is really overboard and seriously overboard in comical exaggerated forms and jokes. At least the whole thing is consistent but still, I feel it falls from the original. Characters go far from the design. I understand what they were trying to do… actually no I don't! They made the whole thing look like a joke! From what I have read, the producer and director wanted something around the same idea as 'The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and as I had not been able to see that yet, I wouldn't know. What I do know is that if its anything like this, then we have a problem with me liking it.

Voices are slightly close for Shaggy and Scooby but everyone else is really bad. Characters sound whinny and exaggerated just like the animation, full of crazy sounds and whines. Every show seems to start out with Shaggy saying something he is doing 'with a pup named Scooby Doo.' The jingles are really annoying and just get stuck in your head the more you watch them. All the music is supposed to be like 60s and 70s music along the lines of jazz, Disco, and so on.

In the end, I consider this a forgettable show that should just be put on the side.