IMDb > "Agatha Christie's Poirot" (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Great show

Author: Gunnar_Runar_Ingibjargarson from Reykjavík, Iceland
16 June 2008

A literary legend became a TV phenomenon when David SUCHET took on the role of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie's most famous sleuth. Suchet's Poirot became the most-watched detective in the history of the PBS Mystery! series and a hit all over again on A&E. Now, all 36 one-hour episodes from the series are available in this 12-disc Classic Collection. Using his "little Grey cells" and aided by the affable Captain Hastings (Hugh Fraser), Poirot unravels the thorniest cases without mussing a hair of his famously sculpted mustache. Lush art deco period details and scripts infused with delicious Christie wit make these mysteries irresistible.

Starring: David Suchet, Hugh Fraser, Philip Jackson, Pauline Moran. Director: Andrew Grieve, Edward Bennett.

Poirot is great

Author: yosvaniramos from Australia : Victoria : Melbourne
18 February 2006

Oh i love this series and David Suchet is a genius.i'm so addicted to it that i can't stop watching it,when i put one episode i always have to watch at least one more.I bought the DVD Box Set for my partner as a Christams present cos i know he appreciate this kind of series but i knew nothing about it till i watch it once and now i'm hook up on it.

I live in London and i find fascinating how they really get the period right with all the deco building and the costumes. The acting of course is fantastic with Suchet as the best Poirot ever and fabulous supporting cast from Hastins,Japp and miss Lemon. Overall the best British TV series in a long time.

Better than Dame Agatha deserves

Author: dmayo-911-597432 from Japan
29 May 2012

Those who would like to judge whether Agatha Christie is really the greatest of mystery writers should not rely on these television adaptations. They are indeed great. The problem is that many of the stories have been heavily reworked and thereby improved. Just a few examples are "The Million Dollar Bond Robbery," "The Kidnapped Prime Minister," "The Adventure of the Western Star," and "The Adventure of the Cheap Flat." In that last, the London dive and its delightfully degenerate manager are among several elements created out of whole cloth for the television audience. What is more important, Christie's plots often need work before they can be plausibly presented on the screen in a real-world setting.

Also, please bear in mind that even the most two-dimensional characters in fiction gain a definite materiality when embodied by actors. Christie's characters are notoriously flat. Hercule Poirot is a bundle of quirks without a trace of personality -- a far cry from the Poirot we love to watch in the person of David Suchet. The other characters, too, are brilliantly created by the cast, not by Christie.

On the TV screen, these stories and the Granada productions of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett are about equally satisfying. Some people find the Poirot series more enjoyable. Please remember, though, that most of the Holmes entries (not all) are very faithful to the original stories. To be as good as they are, they did not need to be "punched up" by the TV people. Nor do those actors who have played Holmes and Watson over the years need to inspire them with a semblance of reality; they need to interpret characters so real that many people have mistaken them for historical personages.

Finally, one of the great pleasures of watching the Poirot productions is the enjoyment of period style -- the furnishings, the clothes, the architecture. Unfortunately, Christie gives us neither style nor mood in the original stories. She sets forth her puzzle in prose that is usually unappealing and sometimes downright clumsy. She deploys a large number of hypothetical people like the tokens in a board game and sprinkles clues, motives, secrets of birth, feats of impersonation, and irrelevant crimes more thickly than they could ever exist outside of a comic-book world. At last she decrees the solution to the puzzle and collects her pay as the Queen of Crime. Looking back over what we've read, we realize that storytelling was not part of the bargain. It was left to this TV cast and production staff to give us a richly satisfying experience, and they have succeeded wonderfully.

Wonderful perfect, gets better & better!

Author: keithfmanaton from United Kingdom
27 October 2016

By the end of the series the character was as perfect as the original stories. Justifiably lauded by the Christie family and critics alike, Mr S delivers a tour de force performance throughout.Some Americans miss the point of AC. She didn't write cuddly thatched, half timbered crime novels like the New England 'Murder She Wrote' stuff. Her's were a dark, chilling reflection on what lurks just below the surface of the English reserve particularly and humanity generally. At the end of each episode you should feel a sense of brilliance mixed with fear & distrust of the person next to you. AND SO YOU SHOULD! TV brilliance at it's best. Watch once a year.

Wow what an ending!!

Author: tankace from athens
23 June 2016

During the evening of the last weekend Isaw the final episode of Agatha's Christi Hercule Poirot, a series which at first I though to be just a fat gentle man who bees around the nobility. Then I start watching it and it is addictive ,the characters amazing the settings are as accurate as it gets and truly bring the Interwar period in Europe when our protagonist lives and solves the crimes.

Now to the Poirot, he is like he was pulled out of the books and in to the real world, everything from its quarks to his intelligence are expertly depicted and David Sushet was a excellent choice. Man I wander if the creator of the series had a time machine and when to the future and saw how well was Sushet suited to the role and they pick him up. If this the case then ,maybe just maybe, a certain Doctor had put his hand in to the but ,DOCTOR WHO? (PUN intended). For real the series was on the air from nineteen eighty nine to twenty thirteen, it could be just perfect casting, like with Robert Downey and Iron Man, but then Who knows, WHO knows(:)) ?

OK enough thing the time whammy stuff, this series captured the essence and the atmosphere of the period between the two World Wars nicely, from the costumes to the ethics. And in some episodes the fear for the coming war ( Blitzkreg anyone? ) and the trauma of that soldiers carried from their trends back home and many of them our their families even when the events of the series are happening, still relive the pain that the Great War ,as the First World War was called back then, brought them. This fact alone make the series great from any stand point.

To give a send that would honor with the right way Agatha's most famous hero, A revoir mon ami. Nough said.

Best Poirot Film Series Made So Far!

Author: em_13-608-154267 from Bulgaria
30 December 2016

David Suchet is an excellent in his role as Monsieur H. Poirot. He managed to play so well in this film series that every time someone mention Agatha Christie or Poirot - my first thought is related to these series and specifically Mr. Suchet acting.

I shall keep these series for my children one day as I thing they are truly amazing.

Would definitely recommend them to everyone who loves detective stories, has nostalgia to 20's, 30's and even further up to 50's of XX century. To many people the story might be lacking "action" but in fact the genuine spirit of Poirot (said in the books and in the series many times) is the human psychology not the rough power or so popular lately "action".

My recommendation - get yourself a nice glass of brandy and go back to the past where you can see some of the best detective stories every made!

Memorable.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
21 December 2016

This unforgettable television series, which has spanned almost twenty years, is one of my favorites and one of the best TV series ever, in my opinion. It meticulously adapted all the tales and novels in which Agatha Christie included her most famous character: the infallible Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. There is certainly merit in this character, which undoubtedly contributed to the success and recognition of its creator, one of the most celebrated, read and translated authors of police fiction. And there is certainly merit in this author. Therefore, this series ends up being a well-deserved and just homage to both creator and creation.

We have to stand up and applaud David Suchet's talent. I think its unanimous, he has been the actor who best managed to give life to the Belgian detective, famous for the manias in regard to cleanliness, order, arrangement and refinement. He was Poirot, he became the character. I think for an actor is probably the greatest achievable achievement, redundancies aside. I also enjoyed the appearances of Hugh Fraser (as Captain Hastings), Pauline Moran (as Miss Lemon) and Phillip Jackson (as Chief Inspector Jap). Each contributed in the best way to the success of the series. Each episode adapts a long story or novel by the British author. The screenplays are great, the mood of mystery is very pleasant. The attention to detail, almost perfect costumes and season settings and the surrounding soundtrack help make the series memorable.

Excellent !!!

Author: Anne-Flora Delpuech from Paris, France
11 May 2013

I can't imagine another actor playing Hercule Poirot ! David Suchet is just the perfect man to be this 'funny little man' ! HE IS POIROT ! The whole TV series is amazing, I never get tired of watching again and again all the episodes ! Whether it be the adaptations of the novels or the adaptations of the short stories, I love this series because it is mostly faithful to the original work of Agatha Christie. I also really got attached to the secondary characters such as Hasting or Miss Lemon, perfectly interpreted by Hugh Fraser and Pauline Moran who bring their personal touch to the show. To finish, I'm really looking forward discovering the next and last season, number 13, to put an end and say goodbye to the incredible David Suchet's Poirot !

David Suchet Was Perfect Casting.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
19 August 2013

In the same spirit as Jeremy Brett was the definitive Sherlock Holmes, so David Suchet is the definitive Hercule Poirot, Belgium detective relocated to 1930's London, where he takes on various mysterious cases that come his way. The way Suchet becomes Poirot is remarkable, so convincing is the transformation, that one may think David is really Belgian(please don't call him French!) Hugh Fraser as his associate and best friend Arthur Hastings, Pauline Moran as his secretary Miss Lemon, and Philip Jackson as Chief Superintendent Japp round out a superb, and highly talented cast of regulars that it was a joy to watch them.

Agatha Christie would be extremely proud(I think!) of how faithful, intelligent and engaging these adaptations are, a model on how to get it right! These can be viewed many times over to appreciate the skill and handsome production values involved. Bravo!

I quite agree ...

Author: kaaber-2 from Denmark
6 July 2011

... and how fitting that Suchet, the best ever Poirot, and Joan Hickson, the ditto Miss Marple, each had a chance to compliment the other at the Agatha Christie 100th birthday celebration i 1990. Furthermore, I'm delighted that the Poirot series has gone up a notch. The first seasons - the ones that always included Colonel Hastings and Chief Inspector Japp - were a bit tacky. No reflection on Hastings or Japp, but they were rather more low budget than the recent episodes I've seen, whereas in "Murder on the Orient Express", for instance, I can't tell that it's not full-blown Hollywood, all sails set.

I'm not really satisfied with the new Marple series with Geraldine McEwan. I remember Hickson characterizing Miss Marple: "She's never shocked", which I think is quite to the point - so it's annoying to see McEwan's Miss Marple bawling over the death of Murgatroyd in "A Murder is Announced".

Suchet's Poirot (as well as Hickson's Marple) had the quality of being never unnerved.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]