IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

drooling fanboy praise follows

Author: John P. O'Malley from Cleveland, OH
20 May 1999

Truly one of the funniest shows ever on tv, up there with Police Squad!, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, and the early years of SNL. If not for this show, I never would have seen such great flicks as Eegah, Angel's Revenge, The Beginning of the End, or (fanfare) Manos, the Hands of Fate. Every friend or family member I've turned on to this show has loved it. I just wish the sci-fi channel wouldn't show it at such goofy times (11:00 on Sunday mornings??? I'm either working or asleep).

It's like going to theater without leaving home!

Author: Michael McAllister from Greenville, Pennsylvania
13 May 1999

I love to watch this show. Because it's funny, and you won't worry about payin' 4 the movie like in the theaters. And the movie's good too! I have a video collection of MST3K tapes.(They're a little hard to find 'em.Unless U buy em' on th' internet.)Anyways, Mst3k's a cool show. Watch it!

Gotta Love it.

Author: Cloud-6
7 May 1999

Even if you don't like MST3K if you watch it you will bust out of your skin laughing. You'll laugh so hard you will start crying.

The best show on TV.

Author: Willie-31 from VA
7 May 1999

This is the best show I have ever seen despite the fact that its premise is stupidly simple. It's pretty much just a man and 2 robots making fun of the worst movies ever made. The creativity involved is amazing, though, and every week I (and thousands of other fans of the show) fall out of my chair laughing while watching it. It is the funniest (and maybe the weirdest) thing I've ever seen on TV. If you've never seen this, you're missing out on truly great television. Check your local listings and watch it.

****:perfect 4 stars,One of the funniest & most unique TV series of all time

Author: PJS-5 from New Hampshire
25 April 1999

This is one of the most hilarious TV shows on TV & one of the most creatively made shows.This program places a man & his bots (present day,Mike Nelson & Tom Servo & Crow,older generation,Joel Robinson(Joel Hodgson),Tom Servo,Crow),true it'll look cheap because it's a low-budget show but there's a high good chance that you could care less about it,& it has an array of films that truly do deserve to be on this show,true you might wish that they could place in a modern known B-film to as least a decent film(yes you can heckle at good films) but that's more the fault of the networks there on because frankly they've never bother to help fund the show more,true to those who aren't impressed with MST3K(yes they're actually some),you might think of M&TB as "3 guys who make fun of a lot of other things while they heckle the film,& think they can get away with it",false the only reason why they tease on consirderably good things(Jim Carrey,Japan) is because they try to appeal to different sorts of audience,(theres obviously more but I won't get into that).I admit perhaps bashing on countries(basically countries-only don't mind the rest) is a little ethnically offensive but remember what I said above.

My eyes, my eyes!

Author: pippinmaniac from United States
26 January 2007

I discovered this show back when it was on Comedy Central in the early 90's. The whole premise for the show is so original-movie watching as a form of mental torture. I look back with fondness upon the first episode that I watched. It was "The Human Duplicators" starring Richard Kiel. The horror! Since then, of course, I have seen nearly all of the episodes, including the granddaddy of all bad movies, "Manos: the Hands of Fate." My eyeballs were permanently seared after that one. Here's hoping that more episodes will soon become available on DVD. My favorites include "The Day the Earth Froze", "Danger: Death Ray!", "Daddy'O", "Outlaw", "Bride of the Monster", "Mitchell", "Girl's Town", "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", "Killer Shrews", "It Conquered the World", and "The Thing That Wouldn't Die". Movie Sign!

If only I could've been a writer for this show...

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
12 October 2006

*MST3K SPOILERS*

A young man is closed into a spaceship by his bosses, because of a whim, and has to watch very bad movies (we're talking 'Manos: The Hands Of Fate' and 'The Incredible Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies' kind of bad). He can't even stop them, because he used those parts to create sentient robots (Tom Servo, Crow, etc...) who help him stay sane during the vision of these atrocities, by mocking them with hilarious comments ('Puma man flies like a moron' 'This was the alternate ending to Beaches', etc etc).

This show is what we all usually do if we find out we are watching a bad movie (short of turning it off or changing the channel), and gives out some hilarious quotes ('Come hear Libby Quinn, playing the organ with her feet').

Watch this, and if you aren't laughing your ass off...

well, I'll be sorry for you.

MST3K: 10/10.

Truly a great show

Author: bigbearseviltwin from United States
9 April 2006

I have watched this show many times, in fact I would schedual my week around when it was on. The movies themselves were often cheesy in the extreme but then that was kind of the point. As they said in one of the specials Comedy Central did on the show "These guys sit there and say what you would say while watching these bombs, if you were smart and fast enough to think of them." or words to that affect. I was so sad when it finally went off the air. I still treasure the movie version I have on tape. May they sail forever across the universe being chased by Pearl, Dr. Bobo and the Watcher, fighting off evil aliens and bad movies. Oops, got to go. Movie Sign!

Sometimes you want a steak dinner from your TV, but sometimes you want lemon meringue pie...

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
3 September 2005

...and that, my friends, was what MST 3000 was for. Other shows, even comedy oriented shows, tried to tackle the Big Topics and make an Impact on Society. Joel (and later Mike) and the Robots just sat around and poked gentle fun at really bad movies. And oddly enough, almost all of their old episodes hold up better now that almost anything else from Comedy Central (or the Sci Fi Channel) from that era. That's because whimsy and light hearted humor almost always age better than satire and lampoon. Just ask Monty Python's alumni vs those from the National Lampoon.

The premise was sheer genius; an everyman character was shot into space and forced to watch really bad movies. He invented/assembled some robots (actually cleverly designed puppets) to keep him company. And every week the evil scientists who shot him into space would try to drive them crazy with another movie, each one worse than the last.

The other inspired feature of the format was that not only did we watch the movie along with the MST cast, the cast would come out of the theater and perform little skits several times during the show, which had the bonus effect of preventing monotony from setting in. And these bumper segments could contain ANYthing - brilliant songs, poetry and limericks. wildly irreverent debates and arguments between the Robots and Joel, interviews with aliens who dropped in to visit, commercial parodies, Star Trek tributes, jokes about Aaron Spelling and Quinn Martin, tropes and good natured japery...the variety of material presented during these segments was amazing and always funny....and sometimes drop dead hilarious.

And of course, there were the movie commentaries themselves. Along with the laughs, a person could actually pick up a pretty good education in film aesthetics and story telling conventions by watching the way MST3K dissected and commented on the defects in a movie. For example in an early episode ("The Cave Dwellers") during an endless,awful face-to-face scene between two actors where one actor asked the other "What do you say to THAT???" And Crow (the acerbic, cynical 'wise guy' of the cast) yelled out:

"I say...I could drive a TRUCK through one of your cues! TEMPO! TEMPO!!! PICK IT UP!!!"

And it struck me...yes, THAT is EXACTLY what is wrong with the scene!! The actors are letting things drag, and the pacing is completely hosed! Before Crow yelled at them, I wasn't sure WHY the scene sucked, I only knew THAT it sucked. But now I had a "name for my pain", and not only was Crow's analysis spot on, his delivery and timing was also laser sharp, and I not only laughed, but I felt an inner annoyance with "Cave Dwellers" resolve into sometime like...happiness?!?!? WEIRD, but also, somehow, addicting!

And THAT, my friends was the real power of MST. Not only were they funny as hell, but they knew movies...and they could teach you the difference between a good movie and a mediocre one, and show you where a movie with good intentions went horribly wrong.

To put it in perspective, please note that another group of comedians tried what seem to be a similar show at about the same time. It was called "Drive In Review". Two guys made flip "Midnight Movie Audience Participation" type remarks off camera during high-light clips of some really horrible horror and exploitation movies (such as "It's Alive" and "Basket Case"). They were actually pretty funny sometimes. But they lacked the skits and musical numbers and bumper segments, the chemistry of the MST cast of characters, and the air of genial buffoonery and educated craziness of MST3K's approach. As a consequence,their show disappeared without a trace in less than 5 weeks. On the other hand MST ran in one form or another for more than 10 years, and their rabid fan base has insured that their episodes can still be bought in VHS and DVD compilations even today.

It was a great, great series, and I will always be grateful that it lasted for so many years.

Way way awesome show!!

Author: Michael H from Coastal Maine
4 June 2005

i didn't see MST3K until some of the episodes came out on video and picked one up just to see what it was all about. I LOVED IT!! I can sit and ramble forever about it, pretty much in the same way other fans have. Sure there have been a few stinkburger episodes (especially in the sci-fi era)and MST3K The Movie I don't think was very much on par with the TV show, but nobody is perfect.

Other people hate the show or have major gripes and I can understand. I'm not gonna sit there and bash these people, though I will put in my two cents. Some reviews i've seen have been strictly sci-fi era comments only. Well the show was on for SEVEN SEASONS before sci-fi channel got a hold of it. And in many ways it was more funny and different in the Comedy Central era. Also some people are upset that MST skewered certain movies, whether they felt the movies were good or not. There is nothing wrong with skewering movies. THEY ARE JUST MOVIES!!!! And you know what?? These movies still exist in non-MST form for you to watch. Don't get cheesed off that MST made fun of a film, IT'S JUST A MOVIE AND MST IS JUST A TV SHOW!! I do agree in ways with people about reviewing films strictly when they saw them on MST. I will admit I reviewed most of my films commented that I saw on MST. Most of the time it's the only way since the film is nearly impossible to find in non-MST form. I try to comment too that I saw it on MST and do try to judge the film as if I'm not watching the film through MST.

Anyway I love the show!! I think it is funny and the movies they skewer do mostly suck, in whatever ways. It was cheaply made but I think it does stand up to regular network shows (which I do think are mostly crap, but that's just my opinion)and hope that most, if not all episodes do get released on DVD. It's not a show everybody will like, but a lot of people out there do!! Enjoy!!