IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

One of the very best, most hilarious and superbly well-done TV shows ever!

Author: Neil Swan (splunge@rocketmail.com) from England
31 July 1999

I am proud to say that I am one of the seemingly very few British fans of this program. It all started one afternoon as I switched over to the Sci-fi Channel in hope of some cheesy 1950 horror film to sit and mock. I was only slightly disappointed when I was met with a pale coloured 1980's thing about the mind and memory or something but it looked bad so I watched it. After a few minutes I finally noticed that there were three badly superimposed people at the bottom of the screen mocking the film. So I sat, transfixed at what turned out to be on of the funniest hour and a half's I'd ever spent! The sharp wit of robot named 'Crow' was superb and the jokes really made me laugh consistently through the whole show! Once it had ended I was drenched in sweat from being subjected to one of the longest stinks of pure hilarity ever! Now I watch it, which my friends every week and am about as avid a fan as is possible. The show takes what would be insanely poor entertainment and turns it into something so funny, so original, so unmissable it simply cannot be given justice in any mere review! My advice is, should you ever see this on TV or in a listings magazine or even in a dusty corner of your local rental store WATCH IT NOW! If you like old tat, superbly well observed wit and timeless humour you will love this fantastic show! Even the scenes between the movie have been crafted like a modern day bad horror with a thinly veiled pseudo-plot running throughout the whole series too! Long live MST3K and long live anyone who appreciates how good it is!

WARNING: MST3K can be hazardous to your health!

Author: ecomcon-2 from New York
26 May 1999

One Saturday afternoon I was foolish enough to eat a dish of pastina (small pasta) while watching MST3K. I laughed so hard I started to choke on the food and nearly passed out from lack of oxygen. After I cleared my esophagus, I threw out the pastina and continued watching the show.

If I stood in front of a firing squad and the warden asked me what was my final wish, I would request one last episode of MST3K. If you haven't seen this show, you haven't lived.

Pearl Forrester rules!

6-5-4-3-2-1!

Author: icy-4
22 May 1999

Very good show. Different and unique as well! I love this show. It is on the Sci-fi channel now. If you have this channel, check it out. All it is, is a guy and his two robot friends make fun of old, crappy movies in their own private theater. See it when ever you get the chance!

drooling fanboy praise follows

Author: John P. O'Malley from Cleveland, OH
20 May 1999

Truly one of the funniest shows ever on tv, up there with Police Squad!, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, and the early years of SNL. If not for this show, I never would have seen such great flicks as Eegah, Angel's Revenge, The Beginning of the End, or (fanfare) Manos, the Hands of Fate. Every friend or family member I've turned on to this show has loved it. I just wish the sci-fi channel wouldn't show it at such goofy times (11:00 on Sunday mornings??? I'm either working or asleep).

It's like going to theater without leaving home!

Author: Michael McAllister from Greenville, Pennsylvania
13 May 1999

I love to watch this show. Because it's funny, and you won't worry about payin' 4 the movie like in the theaters. And the movie's good too! I have a video collection of MST3K tapes.(They're a little hard to find 'em.Unless U buy em' on th' internet.)Anyways, Mst3k's a cool show. Watch it!

The best show on TV.

Author: Willie-31 from VA
7 May 1999

This is the best show I have ever seen despite the fact that its premise is stupidly simple. It's pretty much just a man and 2 robots making fun of the worst movies ever made. The creativity involved is amazing, though, and every week I (and thousands of other fans of the show) fall out of my chair laughing while watching it. It is the funniest (and maybe the weirdest) thing I've ever seen on TV. If you've never seen this, you're missing out on truly great television. Check your local listings and watch it.

Gotta Love it.

Author: Cloud-6
7 May 1999

Even if you don't like MST3K if you watch it you will bust out of your skin laughing. You'll laugh so hard you will start crying.

****:perfect 4 stars,One of the funniest & most unique TV series of all time

Author: PJS-5 from New Hampshire
25 April 1999

This is one of the most hilarious TV shows on TV & one of the most creatively made shows.This program places a man & his bots (present day,Mike Nelson & Tom Servo & Crow,older generation,Joel Robinson(Joel Hodgson),Tom Servo,Crow),true it'll look cheap because it's a low-budget show but there's a high good chance that you could care less about it,& it has an array of films that truly do deserve to be on this show,true you might wish that they could place in a modern known B-film to as least a decent film(yes you can heckle at good films) but that's more the fault of the networks there on because frankly they've never bother to help fund the show more,true to those who aren't impressed with MST3K(yes they're actually some),you might think of M&TB as "3 guys who make fun of a lot of other things while they heckle the film,& think they can get away with it",false the only reason why they tease on consirderably good things(Jim Carrey,Japan) is because they try to appeal to different sorts of audience,(theres obviously more but I won't get into that).I admit perhaps bashing on countries(basically countries-only don't mind the rest) is a little ethnically offensive but remember what I said above.

The Art of Mockery

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
10 December 2014

Despite all of the good films we've seen in our life time every once in a while there comes that really bad apple that we unintentionally picked and bit into. It's happened to all of us and it's the last thing we want to happen because we came into the film with our expectations at a certain level only to have them dashed like rocks. It's like that feeling of thinking you found gold only to find out it's fools gold and your going to get nothing. The part about this that hurts the most is just the money you spent to see it, just thinking about that still hurts me. But this show provided the self defense method against this.

This is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, it was practically a phenomenon that not just made everyone laugh their heads off but also taught them all participation that it actually formed some groups to do this, or whenever a bad film was unintentionally brought I and my friends would make some sarcastic commentary.

It is such a simple yet brilliant concept on simply just guys watching a film and making a lot of sarcastic and comical comments. That's pretty much it and that's all we really needed because what their doing is something that we all probably did at some point whenever we've see a bad TV episode or movie, passing on a bit of commentary just to pass the time of the awful film or just simply to keep our own sanity.

I even like the whole plot of the show which is ridiculous and nonsensical in itself which is the charm of this show. Why the hell the bad guys would benefit from sending random people out to space and drive them insane with bad films is anyone's guess, may'be out of boredom.

Anyway, I love the theme song it's one of my favorite theme songs of all time. It's just one you can't help but both laugh and dance to at the same time. And of course I really like all of the characters from the good guys to the bad guys both are just really hilarious and all have distinctive persona's and have great lines. I really love the supporting characters in both factions like for the villains there's Bobo whom is practically one of the residents from the film "Planet of the Apes" and some alien monk that has no brain except when he carries it and employs psychic powers that half the time work.

And of course the highlight is seeing the movies itself and the insult fest. Most of these movies (well may'be not all some are guilty pleasure or really weren't that bad, but to each his own)are the kind of film that might have caught the corner of your eye at your local video store but didn't rent (probably for good reason). Or just never good released on VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray (thank god) and have been rotting away in the bowels of movie hell.

Just seeing some of these films alone I can't help but think what in the hell was the director and writers thinking, either they were people that thought they could write and directs but couldn't do either, came into it with the best intentions though as a saying goes the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, or might have been on something.

Seeing each of the MST3K crew employ their verbal humor is just delicious and really makes watching the film actually enjoyable let alone bearable. In a way it's a bit of the principle of so bad it's good and it's true.

There are several favorites I have but I'll just say a few of them.

Puma Man: This one's my favorite, there is just not one dull moment. The film is pretty much a bad Superman rip off. Crow: "Puma Man you fly like a moron." indeed he does Crow.

Warrior of the Wasteland: My second favorite which is this Mad Max wannabe. My favorite part was the segment where the MST3K felt really sad for the destruction of the Death Machine.

Jack Frost: My third favorite since this is based on a Russian Fairy Tale though the film hardly has anything to almost nothing to do with it. The story is interesting though in a bad but good nonsensical way, I'll just say this this film is no "Frozen".

Santa Claws: Forth, this is a very bizarre and almost disturbing version of Santa. Where Santa is an alien and he is going against an emissary of the Devil, I'm not kidding.

Space Mutany: Fifth, this is pretty much a lame space opera down to probably the worst vehicular chase (and slowest) I've ever seen. With vehicles that look like golf carts or floor buffers. There is just so many great lines in this episode my favorite was when the MST3K crew came up with up to 40 ridiculous names for the protagonist whom is as dull as a brick along with his acting.

Well, I don't have any more to say, for the films watch at your own risk. But for the MST3K crew it is the greatest movie watching experience you'll every have, who'd of thought mockery can become an art form or in this case a way of life.

Rating: 4 stars

Making terrible movies watchable

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
23 February 2013

You have to give these guys credit. ANYONE who finds a way to make something like Monster A Go-Go watchable is absolutely fantastic. This is one of those shows where if you have seen a couple of episodes you know full well what you're in for. What you're in for here is people trapped watching bad movies with few (if any) redeeming qualities, they've got only one way out - making fun of it.

I have seen only about 10 episodes (one tenth of the entire run) so far, but my simple analysis is that I enjoyed it. If you do find your new vote for worst movie ever made with plot elements like killer dinosaurs with cyborgs rolled into one (That was a Future War reference), although to make fun of that won't be terribly difficult.

So if you want to broaden your horizons of bad movie watching then this show may definitely be for you. If I were to recommend an episode (or episodes) for you to start then try Werewolf, Soultaker, Manos, Laserblast, The Creeping Terror, Future War or Final Justice. Because they really are the highlights of what they can do with it. 8/10 from me. 2+ star for making bad movies watchable.