IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 10 of 21: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

if you don't get it.....

Author: nycalling from New York
30 October 2004

stop your bitching. i just finished reading all the negatives. First of all, don't just watch the sci-fi episodes and claim to know everything about the show. The original on comedy central had better skits, and no mrs. forrester and bobo. Not to mention the original was much more surreal. Second of all, i love the people who cry on here that the jokes are stupid and lame. While I'm sure your making millions writing for commando dad or the tony danza show, lets not forget this TV show has won peabodys, emmy nominations and other awards all for writing. And for the idiot who says its pompous,you must live in another world, cause it makes fun of itself continuously. I'm not a fanboy, i don't have a website up, but when people bash shows they know nothing about, it really irks me. I wonder how many of the bashers who said it was a stupid show would get john kennedy otoole references, or marcel proust references. So go Troll another board.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Author: cobra_freak_006 from United States
18 September 2011

well there isn't really much of a plot to this show. its about Mike Nelson trapped on a space ship with his robot friends and a evil scientist sends him and his robots old cheesy movies usually ranging from the 60's and 70's and throughout the movies the robots and Mike comment on it.

i never watched this show when it was on TV during the 80's and 90's. i never really heard of it until i was dating a girl that sat me down and we watched it and i couldn't stop laughing even at the cheesy jokes during the movie. since i got netflix its made it easier for me to watch other episodes of it and some late nights i do.

if you are in the mood for a cheesy movie and cheesy robots giving funny commentary then check it out. its worth it.

"Timeless" format, no matter how dated the movies are!

Author: hnt_dnl from United States
23 April 2010

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 (MST3K for short) is maybe the single most original idea ever in the history of TV! While other formats that make fun of pop culture got stale after a while (SNL being the biggest example!), MST3K was never boring. The basic concept is that a human and 2 robots would make fun of, or riff, cheesy drive-in movies, mostly of the "sci-fi" genre. Over it's 11-year run, MST3K managed to riff an eclectic mix of crappy movies from the 50s to the 80s (and a couple of 90s turds managed to sneak in there!). Also, in between riffing the movies, they did "host segment" bits that mimicked or mocked parts of the movie.

The original "human" was the MST3K creator Joel Hodgson, and his 2 bots Tom Servo (voiced for virtually the entire run by show writer and actor Kevin Murphy) and Crow T. Robot (originally voiced by Trace Beaulieu). Trace Beaulieu also played Dr. Clayton Forrester, Joel's tormentor that made him and the bots watch crappy movies. TV's Frank was Forrester's sidekick and they were a hoot.

After a few years, Joel left and show writer and actor Mike Nelson was promoted to being the human host, along with Tom and Crow (voiced now by Bill Corbett). In later years, Mike's new tormentor was Pearl (played by Mary Jo Pehl). Pearl's sidekicks were Bobo (Murphy) and Brain Guy (Corbett).

While the Joel/Forrester years are definitely enjoyable, I feel they upped the ante big time during the Mike/Pearl years! While Joel and Forrester had a relationship comprised of civility and witty banter, Mike and Pearl had a kind of childish yin-yang thing where they traded jabs and insults nonstop. Both pairs worked and it's nice to have that duality as you can go back and watch either one, depending on which you're in the mood for.

The Joel/Forrester years were fun and the jokes were much more sublime and witty and you really have to have patience to get into some of those eps. My favorite Joel episode is far and away POD PEOPLE, which I think may actually be the best of the series. Every jab and pun that Joel and the bots threw at that movie worked!

But the Mike/Pearl years are much more "in your face", insulting humor and the pop culture references are so general, you'll get the jokes right away, so you'll be laughing constantly. I like more of the Mike eps, like SOULTAKER (my favorite!), OVERDRAWN AT THE MEMORY BANK (starring Raul Julia!), THE SCREAMING SKULL, SPACE MUTINY, and TOUCH OF Satan! So many to choose from!

Another huge bonus for some of the movies is watching the guys and bots riff those crappy 50s shorts that precede the movies. Sometimes, that is even more fun than the movies! I just wish the show had gone for at least another 4 or 5 years b/c there's still so many crappy movies that have yet to be riffed!

best show ever

Author: rickyj-6 from United States
25 February 2010

This is the best show ever!

It is about a man (mild-mannered Joel Hodgson until the middle of season 5, and the energetic Mike Nelson for the rest) and his robots (Cambot, Gypsy, Tom Servo , and Crooooooooow!) are sent bad movies (i.e., Revenge of The Creature, Monster-a-go-go) by mad scientists and watch them aboard the Satellite of Love, orbiting earth. They "riff" or make comments making fun of the movie. It is absolutely Hilarious! It ran for

ten seasons on comedy central/the Sufi channel. It's ashamed that they don't even air it on TV anymore, or that nobody knows about it, and that they botched the movie. see this!

last guy is right, too many reviews based on mst3k

Author: charlie dont surf and i think he should from new york
29 March 2002

he is right. i read a review of mitchell where the guy copied word for word from the mst3k episode book. i saw mitchell uncut, and while it is bad, it does explain what happened to john saxon. That being said, mst3k rules. one of the most original, best written shows. i do think the quality of writing went down after frank connif left, he was admittedly the tv pop culture guru of thier writers who knew every tv movie and 1 season show. and of course pearl is the most annoying character ever. but in general the writing during the movie segments was almost always great. i think the sketches between the movie segments went downhill near the end, but hey what a great show and what a great intro to the world of bad movies.

Cool Show!

Author: chapman-4 from Providence, RI
30 September 2001

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) is one of the coolest shows on television! I tape the episodes off the SciFi Channel, where they're currently showing in repeats, and buy them. I love both Joel and Mike. Neither is better than the other. The Bots are super-funny too. Watch this show! It gets my BTTF alert-making it my favorite TV show.

It should be a cultural institution

Author: Space Oddity_2001
27 October 2000

I vividly recall when I first saw Mst3k. Way back in 1992 when it hadn't been on Comedy Central for very long. I was twelve years old. The episode I watched was Manos the Hands of Fate and I was hooked from then on. Like a junkie, I craved another fix of this remarkable show. I have been a loyal fan since through it's many changes and incarnations up until the very end. I wish it were still here because television isnt the same.

What happened to Joel Hodgson?

The most Innovative,Intelligent and humorous TV show Ever.

Author: bobdenby from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
9 August 2000

This is a great show for the intellectual,Perceptive person who has a Good sense of humor and enjoys witty,well written and delivered comedy. It lasted Ten years with very little in the way of advertising or marketing.Those who came across it (Usually accidentally or by chance) fell in love with it,many to the point of obsession. (Myself included). Its basic premise Involves a janitor who gets shot into space by several dis-barred, mad scientists who,as part of an ongoing weeekly experiment,show the worst movies ever made to the poor janitor in order to see what effects might arise. The Janitor,somewhat of an inventor himself,builds some robots to keep him company using spare parts aboard the ship. two of those robots sit in on the experiments in the theater with him each week. In order to keep their sanity,they fire back comments and jokes at the movie as its being shown,something that many of us who have ever suffered through a bad show or movie can certainly relate to. All who followed the show have their particular preferences as to the "Experiments" (Shows) they loved the most,mine being the final 5 years of the show,as the writing,delivery & and performances got better and better as it was fine tuned through the years.Tapes of the show (almost 200 to choose from) are routinely traded over the internet and there are a wealth of fans willing to do so.Type in "MST3K tape trading" on your favorite search engine and see for yourself.If you value greatly written,delivered and performed comedy/humor,This show is classic MUST SEE.

The funniest show since "Fawlty Towers!"

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
12 August 1999

Very few TV shows can maintain a real consistent quality after many years. Especially after going through numerous cast and personel changes. The only example I can think of are "Doctor Who" and MST3K. The level of quality the show managed to maintain over the course of a decade is very impressive. Especially with one solitary premise. MST3K was not only one of the few TV shows I watch, but the show I looked forward to watching more than any other.

I watched the final episode laughing, but at the same time feeling a great deal of sadness. It's hard to believe that after all this time, the show has now come to an end. Although the show will live on in our hearts, VHS collections and tape tradings, it's sad that there will no longer be any new episodes produced. Thank you, Best Brains, for a wonderful ten years of a wonderful show. You will be missed.

One of the very best, most hilarious and superbly well-done TV shows ever!

Author: Neil Swan (splunge@rocketmail.com) from England
31 July 1999

I am proud to say that I am one of the seemingly very few British fans of this program. It all started one afternoon as I switched over to the Sci-fi Channel in hope of some cheesy 1950 horror film to sit and mock. I was only slightly disappointed when I was met with a pale coloured 1980's thing about the mind and memory or something but it looked bad so I watched it. After a few minutes I finally noticed that there were three badly superimposed people at the bottom of the screen mocking the film. So I sat, transfixed at what turned out to be on of the funniest hour and a half's I'd ever spent! The sharp wit of robot named 'Crow' was superb and the jokes really made me laugh consistently through the whole show! Once it had ended I was drenched in sweat from being subjected to one of the longest stinks of pure hilarity ever! Now I watch it, which my friends every week and am about as avid a fan as is possible. The show takes what would be insanely poor entertainment and turns it into something so funny, so original, so unmissable it simply cannot be given justice in any mere review! My advice is, should you ever see this on TV or in a listings magazine or even in a dusty corner of your local rental store WATCH IT NOW! If you like old tat, superbly well observed wit and timeless humour you will love this fantastic show! Even the scenes between the movie have been crafted like a modern day bad horror with a thinly veiled pseudo-plot running throughout the whole series too! Long live MST3K and long live anyone who appreciates how good it is!