IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 9 of 22: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A magnificent show, unfairly maligned by those who hate it.

Author: prichards12345 from United Kingdom
3 April 2016

Hi, there. I'm a Brit - and it's a bit lonely being a fan of this wonderful show over here. I wouldn't say MST3K is unknown in the UK - it did air on the sci-fi channel (as it was called here) in the late 90's - but it is certainly little known, and that's a shame. I do what I can to spread the word. I caught a few episodes back when it was first screened and was intrigued by the premise, while also finding it very funny.

Having read some of the negative reviews on here, which call fans and the comedians who did the show "Morons" "Drug Addicts" etc, it seems to me to be an excuse for the usual bunch of haters to round on something they despise or don't get. When you use terms like that, you've lost the argument. You either get this show or you don't - fair enough if it isn't funny to you; but to bandy insults around like "Moron" to those who enjoy it is a case of Freudian Projection writ large, I'm afraid.

I will answer one criticism: sure they occasionally chose inappropriate movies to riff on. Phase IV, etc, which are really good films - yeah I get that. But if you can't laugh at yourself and the things you love now and again, then you need to lighten up. "Why so serious?" It's clear the writers and performers on this show have a deep affection for cinema. And Mike Nelson's follow up Riff Trax makes fun of modern big budget movies in exactly the same way. So there.

I really love this show. I love the laid-back Joel Hodgson years, those wiseacre robots Crow and Servo, Dr. Forrester and T.V.'s Frank and I love the Mike Nelson years, too (although I still have a fair number to see of the latter.) The style changes; the voices change, but the show stays extremely funny. Best episodes for me so far.

Manos The Hands of Fate - proof that there are movies out there worse than Plan 9. I want a Torgo T-shirt!

Monster A-Go-Go. Ditto. These two deserve special mentions for being the two worst movies I've ever seen with utterly hilarious riffs.

Pod People. Mitchell. Space Mutiny. Daddy-O, which has possibly my fave song "Hitch your Pants Up".

Haven't seen Puma Man yet. Can't wait!

I really wish I could buy these on region 2 DVD, to reward the guys behind this show with some of my hard earned cash - sadly, I'm having to watch You Tube. I'm delighted the show is coming back, and lets hope it keeps up the standard. Keep circulating the laughter...

my review four mystery theater 3000

Author: Liam wuthrich from Canada
10 February 2016

i think this is a great show on you-tube also they need to put on more film's like robot wars on the show also robot jox would be another good film to put on you-tube on mystery theater.

also i have to add this is the first show i enjoyed in year's being on Xbox live and watching film's that buffer a lot on apple TV or shomi when you cannot go back to were you left of like netflex and popcorn netflex i saw a good Russian movie with actor from the big loboski with Jeff bridge's and john Goodman and Dave bushomi. and how many film's have they been beside's cartoon's like the last unicorn also they should have a season special's jouring the year to see film they can pull from the archive's of the mystery theater 3000 vault and special guest's too. all i can say seeing robot model's is really a site to see and one day there will be robot factory's to create robot's like in the video game's like astro empires.

thank's four reading long live the fighter's

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Review

Author: Nick Retzlaff
9 June 2015

This show was made back in the late 80's and ended I think in the late 90's. Considered to be a, if not, one of the greatest cult classics of all time. It's mostly about a guy called Joel Robinson getting sent into space for some reason aboard the satellite of love. He then makes some robot friends Crow, Tom Servo, Cambot, and Gypsy for company and to help him get though really bad movies. Something about Dr. Forester and TV's Frank trying to take over the world with really bad movies and Joel and the bots are the test subjects in it. They've cover a lot of bad movies like the Gamera Trilogy, as well as "Manos, Hands of Fate" which is considered the wost movie ever made. Some of the jokes are a bit dated but you can understand the subtext to them pretty quickly. Later in the series Joel left and this guy Mike Nelson took his place. Joel did make a cameo but Joel was thought of as better than Mike. Since Mike at times tries too hard with the jokes. All in all it was a good movie and most of the cast members now do something called the Cinematic Titanic which I haven't looked up yet but will. Sometimes I wonder if they can still do another MST3K one day even though bad movies now have nudity, bad language, and graphic violence in them now. Reviewers now I think get a lot of inspiration from the MST3K episodes and really liked it. Anyway look at some of the MST3K work when you can, it's a surefire classic.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Author: cobra_freak_006 from United States
18 September 2011

well there isn't really much of a plot to this show. its about Mike Nelson trapped on a space ship with his robot friends and a evil scientist sends him and his robots old cheesy movies usually ranging from the 60's and 70's and throughout the movies the robots and Mike comment on it.

i never watched this show when it was on TV during the 80's and 90's. i never really heard of it until i was dating a girl that sat me down and we watched it and i couldn't stop laughing even at the cheesy jokes during the movie. since i got netflix its made it easier for me to watch other episodes of it and some late nights i do.

if you are in the mood for a cheesy movie and cheesy robots giving funny commentary then check it out. its worth it.

best show ever

Author: rickyj-6 from United States
25 February 2010

This is the best show ever!

It is about a man (mild-mannered Joel Hodgson until the middle of season 5, and the energetic Mike Nelson for the rest) and his robots (Cambot, Gypsy, Tom Servo , and Crooooooooow!) are sent bad movies (i.e., Revenge of The Creature, Monster-a-go-go) by mad scientists and watch them aboard the Satellite of Love, orbiting earth. They "riff" or make comments making fun of the movie. It is absolutely Hilarious! It ran for

ten seasons on comedy central/the Sufi channel. It's ashamed that they don't even air it on TV anymore, or that nobody knows about it, and that they botched the movie. see this!

last guy is right, too many reviews based on mst3k

Author: charlie dont surf and i think he should from new york
29 March 2002

he is right. i read a review of mitchell where the guy copied word for word from the mst3k episode book. i saw mitchell uncut, and while it is bad, it does explain what happened to john saxon. That being said, mst3k rules. one of the most original, best written shows. i do think the quality of writing went down after frank connif left, he was admittedly the tv pop culture guru of thier writers who knew every tv movie and 1 season show. and of course pearl is the most annoying character ever. but in general the writing during the movie segments was almost always great. i think the sketches between the movie segments went downhill near the end, but hey what a great show and what a great intro to the world of bad movies.

Cool Show!

Author: chapman-4 from Providence, RI
30 September 2001

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) is one of the coolest shows on television! I tape the episodes off the SciFi Channel, where they're currently showing in repeats, and buy them. I love both Joel and Mike. Neither is better than the other. The Bots are super-funny too. Watch this show! It gets my BTTF alert-making it my favorite TV show.

It should be a cultural institution

Author: Space Oddity_2001
27 October 2000

I vividly recall when I first saw Mst3k. Way back in 1992 when it hadn't been on Comedy Central for very long. I was twelve years old. The episode I watched was Manos the Hands of Fate and I was hooked from then on. Like a junkie, I craved another fix of this remarkable show. I have been a loyal fan since through it's many changes and incarnations up until the very end. I wish it were still here because television isnt the same.

What happened to Joel Hodgson?

The most Innovative,Intelligent and humorous TV show Ever.

Author: bobdenby from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
9 August 2000

This is a great show for the intellectual,Perceptive person who has a Good sense of humor and enjoys witty,well written and delivered comedy. It lasted Ten years with very little in the way of advertising or marketing.Those who came across it (Usually accidentally or by chance) fell in love with it,many to the point of obsession. (Myself included). Its basic premise Involves a janitor who gets shot into space by several dis-barred, mad scientists who,as part of an ongoing weeekly experiment,show the worst movies ever made to the poor janitor in order to see what effects might arise. The Janitor,somewhat of an inventor himself,builds some robots to keep him company using spare parts aboard the ship. two of those robots sit in on the experiments in the theater with him each week. In order to keep their sanity,they fire back comments and jokes at the movie as its being shown,something that many of us who have ever suffered through a bad show or movie can certainly relate to. All who followed the show have their particular preferences as to the "Experiments" (Shows) they loved the most,mine being the final 5 years of the show,as the writing,delivery & and performances got better and better as it was fine tuned through the years.Tapes of the show (almost 200 to choose from) are routinely traded over the internet and there are a wealth of fans willing to do so.Type in "MST3K tape trading" on your favorite search engine and see for yourself.If you value greatly written,delivered and performed comedy/humor,This show is classic MUST SEE.

The funniest show since "Fawlty Towers!"

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
12 August 1999

Very few TV shows can maintain a real consistent quality after many years. Especially after going through numerous cast and personel changes. The only example I can think of are "Doctor Who" and MST3K. The level of quality the show managed to maintain over the course of a decade is very impressive. Especially with one solitary premise. MST3K was not only one of the few TV shows I watch, but the show I looked forward to watching more than any other.

I watched the final episode laughing, but at the same time feeling a great deal of sadness. It's hard to believe that after all this time, the show has now come to an end. Although the show will live on in our hearts, VHS collections and tape tradings, it's sad that there will no longer be any new episodes produced. Thank you, Best Brains, for a wonderful ten years of a wonderful show. You will be missed.