IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

One of the greatest achievements of man

Author: Locdog07 from Knutsford, England
13 October 1998

First of all, there has never been a show like this before. It's sheer quality is stunning, the humour is intelligent and hilarious, and all this adds up to produce one of the greatest shows mankind will perhaps ever see.

Right now it's on the Sci-Fi Channel, having moved from Comedy Central, and is doing very well for itself, if you ask me. It deserves every ounce of praise that it receives.

The show is about a guy, named Mike Nelson, who is stuck up in space with his robot companions, and they have to endure bad movie after bad movie. That's all that you have to know to get started. The whole plot is confusing if I try to get you up to speed in the next few lines, but trust me, this is a show you cannot afford to miss.

On an ending note, I'm one of the few (VERY few) British people who love the show more than any other show on TV. There are many others who like the show a lot, but no English person has really had the chance, it's not advertised much over here and so many people miss out on this classic piece of viewing.

Basically, if you ever get the chance, watch this and you'll love it!

The Greatest Show ever, bar none.

Author: FlaviusAetius from United States
9 December 2006

This, fellow men, in the finest work of art ever made by humans. The off-beat but promising concept of two humanlike robots and their human friend riffing bad movies quickly blossoms into the funniest show ever made. From the sheer quirk factor, (the genius host segments, the seriously weird movies,) the raw entertainment value, ( the jaw-droppingly hilarious jokes tossed at the worst movies so bad they make fun of themselves, jokes so funny you'll be spitting whatever you happen to be drinking from your nose,) and the timeless quality, (I have 60 episodes on DVD and have vigorously watched and re-watched them, and honestly can't wait to finish my collection.) Manos, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Space Mutiny, Merlin's Shop, Boggy Creek, Prince of Space, Final Justice, Revenge of the Creature, Jack Frost, Riding with Death, Invasion of the Nepture Men, Horror of Party Beach, and so, so, so, so, so, so, so many more of the funniest gems you've ever seen and will ever see. Why anyone would want to get rid of this perfect show is so mind-boggling in its evil that I grow nauseous thinking of it. For a time, I couldn't sleep unless I had seen a Mystery Science Theater before I went to bed. ( Okay, that is pretty pathetic, and I've grown out of that seeing as how I've loved the show since I was little. But still...my love remains undiminished.....) This show is a bastion of good taste and raw hilarity against a storm of lame and overrated sitcoms, (coughFriendscough) We've got movie sign!

Great great show, laugh all the way through

Author: Cora
25 September 2004

I got hooked on this show when it was on the Sci-Fi channel. I tried to watch it, along with my parents sometimes, to watch it every Saturday morning. It is so funny, cause I like that kind of quick smart-alic humor, I'm good at it. Thats what it is at our house. But the drawback to getting hooked on it, so my parents say, is now whenever I watch any movie, I do the same thing now. After I started watching MST3K I started cracking jokes when I watched movies. Which at first drove my parents nuts, except my dad would do it too. Now they and my friends just got used to it and go along really. But this show is so funny, I'm sad that no one shows them anymore. Sci-Fi should bring them back.

Always a "classic" every time I watch it

Author: otisfirefly2001 from texas
7 September 2004

I have always loved this show. Ever since I saw Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, I have been hooked. This show could easily be called a classic. This show is very much one of my top ten shows, along with Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at law, The Brak Show, Beavis & Butt-head.

The show created such a large cult following, largely due to the internet and fans getting the word out about Mystery Science Theater 3000.

We have all seen old, bad, crappy movies that we would love to see someone make fun of. Well on this show, they actually did what most people wanted to do...Make fun of bad movies! Most of which are very bad movies(some I would never -- ever give a second glance)that should never have been made.

There are so many favorite episodes to choose from, though I do have a few that really stick out from the rest: Space Mutiny; Puma Man; The Creeping Terror; The Skydivers; Invasion of the Neptune Men; Prince of Space; Angel's Revenge; Boggy Creek 2; Giant Spider Invasion; Hobgoblins;

Merlin's shop of Mystical Wonders; Time Chasers.

My least favorite episodes. There are a few that I just could not really deal with, and did not really enjoy them: Hamlet; Phantom Planet; Devil Fish; Quest of the Delta Knights; It lives by Night; Horror of Spider Island.

In short: This was a very good show, which had a tremendous run on Comedy Central and the SciFi channel. The fanbase only grew once the show ended back in 1999. Though gone, fans still trade and enjoy episodes which they recorded back when the show was being aired. I have more then a few that I recorded when it was playing, Along with having volume's 1-5 on DVD.

I don't think I will ever stop enjoying this show.

"I had such a pretty mind"

Author: BlackBalloon
3 June 2004

Well, after being an mst3k viewer for roughly 7years and about 75 episodes (a little under half the total amount, if this site is to be believed), I figure I'll say something. This is definitely a love-it-or-leave-it-show, and I love(ed)(?) it. After a relative glut of episode-viewing in these seven years (as opposed to being a fan from the beginning, watching episodes as they're first released), I think the weaker points of the show are plainer to me than to most. The show is getting a little old to me and having been weaned on the latter episodes, I'm afraid the older ones are going to hold litle enjoyment for me. But all in all, this is a great show, one of the greatest, especially if you love old/terrible/weird genre movies and have a sense of humor. The sheer range of material referenced in the writing is enough to canonize this show- if not because it's admirable, as an example of the glut of popular information at the turn of the last century, and maybe as an example of what pop culture is capable of.

Classic of the ages!

Author: Angel Meiru
13 February 2004

Man, I remember seeing this show since I was five years old, and man, ever since then, it grew on me and cracked me up. Any TV show that mocks and riffs B-movies are classic, though there are some campy B-films I don't mind at all (eg. Gamera, Godzilla, Euro Sword and Sandal flicks),they are still fun to watch them be riffed.

But then again, we all run upon some B-movies that are so bad, they are EVIL (eg. Manos, Monster a Go-Go, Puma Man, Trumpy) and there should have been some horrible B-movies that should have been on there (eg.Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Garbage Pail Kids, etc.)

MST3k, I salute you!

Amazing Success Story

Author: erikwestby from San Francisco
21 October 2004

Far too many haters have posted, so I thought I might bring a little more

enlightenment to the discussion.

MST3K is simply one of the greatest success stories in the history of television. Why? Location. This show was created by a group (but primarily by Joel) of

standup comedians tired of life on the road. So do they move to LA and beg for writing gigs on other people's shows like most comics have? No. They created their own jobs --- IN MINNEAPOLIS! (And how many of you in LA right now wish that you could have stayed home and made a career there? I work in TV & Film .... I know. I almost moved there myself before landing in SF.)

And did these guys wait for a big network to pluck them from obscurity, install them in a fabulous Hollywood soundstage and give them a giant budget to

create a pilot no one would ever see, but they could use it on their reel to get the next breakfast cereal commercial audition? NO. They built the show from

scratch at a local TV station, honed an affordable concept over time, then

proceeded to produce a nationally cablecast, critically praised television series from a warehouse in a Midwestern suburb for 10 YEARS! They made it work!

They didn't sell out! They did what THEY wanted to do --- AND MADE A LIVING!

What have you done? Where's your show?

So, fan of the show or not, please respect what has been accomplished here. I personally think the show rates right up there with the Simpsons for jokes-per- minute. And the host segments are mostly "Good-Bad". (Especially classic bits like Joel as father-figure, making the Bots cry when he frightens them by reading excerpts from "Everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten" as a scary bedtime story. "Joel .... Make it stop!") But I have to admit that, having grown up in the Midwest, I probably got some of the local jokes that seem to cause you coastal people fits.

But have we land-locked masses complained for the past 90 years when only

New York and LA are represented in every single film and television series?

Yes, Joel created the show and those of us who caught the series from the

beginning will always like his shows better than Mike's. (I still can't watch M*A* S*H reruns post-Trapper John. I mean, did anyone think Mike Ferrell was

funny? And I was just a kid at the time of the change. And what about the

Darren switch on Bewitched?) But MST3K is not for everyone. It was never

intended to be. If you don't like it, just walk away. Leave this little gem to those of us who do get it.

no bad reviews time to change that

Author: funeralfortheliving from United States
17 June 2016

This show sucked so bad I was 9 years old when this came out and even at that age I hated this stupid show. Why? Because it isn't funny at all. This show is ranked up their with the Godfather and Star Trek are you people sure your cool aid wasn't spiked? It has no creativity, no talent, no budget, it deserves 2 stars at the most from die hard fans who actually liked wasting their time sitting there throwing away 90min of their life. You could watch the same movies with your group of friends after getting completely wasted and I guarantee you would make better jokes then these peoples best effort. There should be tons of sell outs on here with comments like I used to like this when I was 5 but I watched it now and it isn't funny. I guess only independent films are the subject of peoples bitter lash out at their own childhood. 0/2

Why isn't this the highest rated thing on the whole website?!

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
26 May 2016

I simply can never stop saying good things about MST3K and looking back, I truly believe it is the greatest TV show of all time. It's probably because I am such a huge movie fan, even more so than my dad. If nothing else, this show has introduced me to the concept of tropes and the idea of Lampshade Hanging, which makes a big part of my life. Everyone knows the story already and most people probably wouldn't even care. This is something that has absolutely nothing bad about it. Everyone remembers the majority of the episodes take place in the theater, but the sequences taking place out of it are just as wonderful as that. It also helps that the theme song is absolutely amazing.

I have never seen more jokes being said in any other work of pop culture in my entire life. I remember back when I was first introduced to this very website. I was looking at the worst movies on the Bottom 100. When I looked at reviews, I kept hearing people mention this show called "Mystery Science Theater 3000". Having no idea what they were talking about, I looked at the TV listings and started watching this. It was wonderful from beginning to end. Dang, this was back in the days of stores that sold videos. I have this show to thank for wanting me to do research on movies in general. I have been watching every day since December and this is a show that is so wonderful, you have no idea and don't even care that it's probably the longest TV show (in terms of episode length) you ever saw in your show. It is just THAT good.

Thank you, Mike, for introducing us to Rifftrax, which is the closest we'll get to having this show continue. I do hear Joel might be working on some new version... It's hard to even describe this, because all I need to do is just watch any episode and post some random funny quotes from the episode. There's so much comedy it's mind boggling! The characters themselves are really fun too. Crow is probably my favorite. It helps that this show is done in good spirits. I mean, it is about people ripping apart cheesy movies, but the overall atmosphere is just so pleasant you can't help but fall in love with the characters. I was introduced to the Mike era, and I probably am going to say he's better, if only because the real Mike Nelson worked with Rifftrax. I just love their voices.

Sadly, Mike once gave a list of his worst comedies and it was completely backwards to the IMDb! He even said the worst movie ever was "The Phantom Menace" which at one point had the same score as "Phase IV" (6.4) as the highest rated movie ever featured on the show! For all the strange things this show and the real people behind gave it, there is definitely a sense of sincerity. I believe "Monster A Go-Go" to be the worst movie ever featured. It was so awful it was the ONE episode I didn't like! Not even the funniest people in history could help with that! My favorite episode in general is probably "Santa Claus". Favorite quip might be Santa saying, "Devil?" and then "He owns my soul!". There's a potentially infinite number of bad (and for that matter good or any in general) movies, so it's something that just always gives new material. Four stars, ****, 10/10, my favorite television show of all time!

A magnificent show, unfairly maligned by those who hate it.

Author: prichards12345 from United Kingdom
3 April 2016

Hi, there. I'm a Brit - and it's a bit lonely being a fan of this wonderful show over here. I wouldn't say MST3K is unknown in the UK - it did air on the sci-fi channel (as it was called here) in the late 90's - but it is certainly little known, and that's a shame. I do what I can to spread the word. I caught a few episodes back when it was first screened and was intrigued by the premise, while also finding it very funny.

Having read some of the negative reviews on here, which call fans and the comedians who did the show "Morons" "Drug Addicts" etc, it seems to me to be an excuse for the usual bunch of haters to round on something they despise or don't get. When you use terms like that, you've lost the argument. You either get this show or you don't - fair enough if it isn't funny to you; but to bandy insults around like "Moron" to those who enjoy it is a case of Freudian Projection writ large, I'm afraid.

I will answer one criticism: sure they occasionally chose inappropriate movies to riff on. Phase IV, etc, which are really good films - yeah I get that. But if you can't laugh at yourself and the things you love now and again, then you need to lighten up. "Why so serious?" It's clear the writers and performers on this show have a deep affection for cinema. And Mike Nelson's follow up Riff Trax makes fun of modern big budget movies in exactly the same way. So there.

I really love this show. I love the laid-back Joel Hodgson years, those wiseacre robots Crow and Servo, Dr. Forrester and T.V.'s Frank and I love the Mike Nelson years, too (although I still have a fair number to see of the latter.) The style changes; the voices change, but the show stays extremely funny. Best episodes for me so far.

Manos The Hands of Fate - proof that there are movies out there worse than Plan 9. I want a Torgo T-shirt!

Monster A-Go-Go. Ditto. These two deserve special mentions for being the two worst movies I've ever seen with utterly hilarious riffs.

Pod People. Mitchell. Space Mutiny. Daddy-O, which has possibly my fave song "Hitch your Pants Up".

Haven't seen Puma Man yet. Can't wait!

I really wish I could buy these on region 2 DVD, to reward the guys behind this show with some of my hard earned cash - sadly, I'm having to watch You Tube. I'm delighted the show is coming back, and lets hope it keeps up the standard. Keep circulating the laughter...