IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Amazing! The single greatest accomplishment in television!

Author: deppburtonphan from Somewhere in Space...
6 September 2006

This is by far the best show I have ever seen!

The premise is simple, yet absurd, and at the same time brilliantly executed.

We begin with Joel, an average, everyday guy who happens to work at a research facility along with Dr. Clayton Forrester, who is a visual example of the "mad scientist" stereotype. Dr. Forrester decides to use Joel (and eventually Mike) as his test subject in his plot for world domination. (Said plot, with the assistance of TV's Frank, involves subjecting him to the worst movies ever made, until he finds the one that drives him mad, so he can subject it to the world and take over.) Well, Joel is a few steps ahead. He builds a few robots, 2 of which accompany him in the theater, to help him keep his sanity. They survive the films by mercilessly making sarcastic remarks on what they are viewing.

If you haven't seen this show, you absolutely must! It is the single greatest thing to ever happen to television!

Such a simple concept to generate a godly series

Author: watchwhereuwalk from United States
15 July 2006

I could write forever about the show, but the movie really set the bar for the rest of the series.

I don't quite know where to begin, but the movie itself is great for anyone. It brings out the immaturity in us all, because I gauruntee everyone has wanted to shout out loud during a movie, whether it was something obscene, or just to poke fun at it. This movie, is the all time greatest idea. It's great how this show/movie can take such a simple concept, and make it into one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I mention the immaturity note, but not quite sure if I meant it in the right way. One downside of this show, is that they mention names, events, etc. that I've never even heard of. When I'm watching them at home, I sometimes need to have google set up next to me so I can see what they are referring to.

Aside from the movie, you need to watch the series. After the first few series, Mike Nelson jumps aboard the SOL (Ship Of Love, as it is referred to in the shows) and begins throwing out some of the best lines ever.

Crowww and Tom Servo are two robots that also poke fun at the movies, and is definitely worthwhile. If you have never seen the movie, or any of the skits, I HIGHLY recommend you check it out. "Invasion Of The Neptune Men" or "Track Of The Moon Beast" is a MUST SEE. I've never laughed so hard watching these two skits, and it wasn't even the movie, it was just the comments these guys made.

So do yourself a favor, check this out, I gauruntee it will change your view of how you watch movies for quite some time.

Truly a great show

Author: bigbearseviltwin from United States
9 April 2006

I have watched this show many times, in fact I would schedual my week around when it was on. The movies themselves were often cheesy in the extreme but then that was kind of the point. As they said in one of the specials Comedy Central did on the show "These guys sit there and say what you would say while watching these bombs, if you were smart and fast enough to think of them." or words to that affect. I was so sad when it finally went off the air. I still treasure the movie version I have on tape. May they sail forever across the universe being chased by Pearl, Dr. Bobo and the Watcher, fighting off evil aliens and bad movies. Oops, got to go. Movie Sign!

Sometimes you want a steak dinner from your TV, but sometimes you want lemon meringue pie...

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
3 September 2005

...and that, my friends, was what MST 3000 was for. Other shows, even comedy oriented shows, tried to tackle the Big Topics and make an Impact on Society. Joel (and later Mike) and the Robots just sat around and poked gentle fun at really bad movies. And oddly enough, almost all of their old episodes hold up better now that almost anything else from Comedy Central (or the Sci Fi Channel) from that era. That's because whimsy and light hearted humor almost always age better than satire and lampoon. Just ask Monty Python's alumni vs those from the National Lampoon.

The premise was sheer genius; an everyman character was shot into space and forced to watch really bad movies. He invented/assembled some robots (actually cleverly designed puppets) to keep him company. And every week the evil scientists who shot him into space would try to drive them crazy with another movie, each one worse than the last.

The other inspired feature of the format was that not only did we watch the movie along with the MST cast, the cast would come out of the theater and perform little skits several times during the show, which had the bonus effect of preventing monotony from setting in. And these bumper segments could contain ANYthing - brilliant songs, poetry and limericks. wildly irreverent debates and arguments between the Robots and Joel, interviews with aliens who dropped in to visit, commercial parodies, Star Trek tributes, jokes about Aaron Spelling and Quinn Martin, tropes and good natured japery...the variety of material presented during these segments was amazing and always funny....and sometimes drop dead hilarious.

And of course, there were the movie commentaries themselves. Along with the laughs, a person could actually pick up a pretty good education in film aesthetics and story telling conventions by watching the way MST3K dissected and commented on the defects in a movie. For example in an early episode ("The Cave Dwellers") during an endless,awful face-to-face scene between two actors where one actor asked the other "What do you say to THAT???" And Crow (the acerbic, cynical 'wise guy' of the cast) yelled out:

"I say...I could drive a TRUCK through one of your cues! TEMPO! TEMPO!!! PICK IT UP!!!"

And it struck me...yes, THAT is EXACTLY what is wrong with the scene!! The actors are letting things drag, and the pacing is completely hosed! Before Crow yelled at them, I wasn't sure WHY the scene sucked, I only knew THAT it sucked. But now I had a "name for my pain", and not only was Crow's analysis spot on, his delivery and timing was also laser sharp, and I not only laughed, but I felt an inner annoyance with "Cave Dwellers" resolve into sometime like...happiness?!?!? WEIRD, but also, somehow, addicting!

And THAT, my friends was the real power of MST. Not only were they funny as hell, but they knew movies...and they could teach you the difference between a good movie and a mediocre one, and show you where a movie with good intentions went horribly wrong.

To put it in perspective, please note that another group of comedians tried what seem to be a similar show at about the same time. It was called "Drive In Review". Two guys made flip "Midnight Movie Audience Participation" type remarks off camera during high-light clips of some really horrible horror and exploitation movies (such as "It's Alive" and "Basket Case"). They were actually pretty funny sometimes. But they lacked the skits and musical numbers and bumper segments, the chemistry of the MST cast of characters, and the air of genial buffoonery and educated craziness of MST3K's approach. As a consequence,their show disappeared without a trace in less than 5 weeks. On the other hand MST ran in one form or another for more than 10 years, and their rabid fan base has insured that their episodes can still be bought in VHS and DVD compilations even today.

It was a great, great series, and I will always be grateful that it lasted for so many years.

Best TV Series EVER

Author: MattbluMST3Kfan from United States
23 June 2005

This in my opinion is the best TV series EVER. Next coming Futurama. But this in my opinion outranks it. It is just SO innovative, creative, original, fresh, clever, smart, witty, it's just awesome all around! I can't stress enough how much this show rocks! I've always liked it, but up since about the start of this year have I really liked it a lot! I love the homemade look of everything, how it looks like it was shot with a video camera, rather than film. Everything feels kinda improvised, and it's just oh, so clever. I like Joel better than Mike, granted, I like 'em both, but I like Joel's subtlety, his delivery, kind of humor, and I think he suited the show better. And I liked Crow's first voice better than his Sci-Fi voice. Trace Beaulieu rather than Bill Corbett. And Ilike Servo's newest voice better. Kevin Murphy, rather than Josh Weinstein. Of course, I never really got to see Josh's work on the show, because I haven't seen any KTMA or season 1, but I've heard the voice, and I like Kevin's better. And I MUCH MUCH preferred Dr. Forrester and Frank rather than Pearl and Bobo and Observer. But anyone who likes comedy, or anything off the wall, you are going to LOVE this show!

Can you imagine how much fun they must have had making this?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
4 June 2005

Everyone loves a really bad movie, and on "Mystery Science Theater 3000", you'd better believe that they do. As the world's Mysties know, the show centers on mad scientists Clayton Forrester (Trace Beaulieu)and TV's Frank (Frank Conniff) sending temp Mike Nelson into outer space and forcing him to watch the crummiest movies ever made. Mike and his robot friends Servo (Kevin Murphy) and Crow (Trace Beaulieu) pass the time throwing out the most hilarious comments at the movies. Whether asserting that the Creeping Terror looks like an over-sized rug, saying that "Phil Silvers" is battling the eye creatures, or reminding us that the difference between "Catalina Caper" and "Titanic" is talent, Mike and the 'bots always know how to rip apart these B (or is that "C"?) movies. Mind you, you have to be very well versed in American popular culture or you won't get half of their jokes (e.g., Abner and Gladys Kravitz, or Dick Van Dyke faking an English accent).

Some of their best jokes come during the "shorts", which are educational movies from the 1950's. During a movie about hygiene, Crow reminds all children to give themselves "a Darrin Stephens hairdo", and during a movie about road safety, Servo declares that if you drive on the wrong side of the road, you deserve to die.

But don't take my word for it. You gotta see "Mystery Science Theater 3000". It is just such a laugh riot the way they utter these jokes.

Way way awesome show!!

Author: Michael H from Coastal Maine
4 June 2005

i didn't see MST3K until some of the episodes came out on video and picked one up just to see what it was all about. I LOVED IT!! I can sit and ramble forever about it, pretty much in the same way other fans have. Sure there have been a few stinkburger episodes (especially in the sci-fi era)and MST3K The Movie I don't think was very much on par with the TV show, but nobody is perfect.

Other people hate the show or have major gripes and I can understand. I'm not gonna sit there and bash these people, though I will put in my two cents. Some reviews i've seen have been strictly sci-fi era comments only. Well the show was on for SEVEN SEASONS before sci-fi channel got a hold of it. And in many ways it was more funny and different in the Comedy Central era. Also some people are upset that MST skewered certain movies, whether they felt the movies were good or not. There is nothing wrong with skewering movies. THEY ARE JUST MOVIES!!!! And you know what?? These movies still exist in non-MST form for you to watch. Don't get cheesed off that MST made fun of a film, IT'S JUST A MOVIE AND MST IS JUST A TV SHOW!! I do agree in ways with people about reviewing films strictly when they saw them on MST. I will admit I reviewed most of my films commented that I saw on MST. Most of the time it's the only way since the film is nearly impossible to find in non-MST form. I try to comment too that I saw it on MST and do try to judge the film as if I'm not watching the film through MST.

Anyway I love the show!! I think it is funny and the movies they skewer do mostly suck, in whatever ways. It was cheaply made but I think it does stand up to regular network shows (which I do think are mostly crap, but that's just my opinion)and hope that most, if not all episodes do get released on DVD. It's not a show everybody will like, but a lot of people out there do!! Enjoy!!

Creative, Funny, Intelligent, and much more

Author: wolf008 from NY
18 May 2005

Funny, creative, insightful, savvy...

It is apparent that the aforementioned is what Joel Hodgson (the creator) set as standards for his work on television, comedy performances, and of-course the MST3k series. Probably these values veered the young comic and writer away from taking part in developing what has been described then as a sub-par sitcom in the yearly 80's. Even at the urging from Brandon Tartikoff, then savior and President of NBC (the lets all be there era president) to come aboard, Hodgston elected to devote his time to develop classy and intelligent comedy. This proclivity for quality entertainment, would eventually bring us Mystery Science Theater 3000.

If creativity and having the ability to reach an audience are some of the key factors in producing a quality program, then MST3K is a clear winner. We all sat through bad films, both of the high and low budget types, and thought to ourselves "What were they thinking?". MST3K provided a release to all who have been the victim of really sub par productions, via some very crafty and prehensile commenting during the viewing of said bad movies.

The in-between movie skits were very entertaining, and provided character development for the cast. Soon you will forget that Crow ,Tom Servo, and Gypsy are robots, as they all have very real and likable personalities. Although, they do sometimes require a "time out" by their creator, Joel.

Hodgston left the series for various reasons, such as having the freedom to pursue other ventures. After all, creating and developing is what Joel likes best. The show would see a few more changes to it's cast and skit development, but transitioned smoothly and was well received by it's fans.

Mystery Science Theator survived one cancellation after it was picked up by the SCIFI channel, after Comedy Central decided to go in a different direction. If anyone has ventured into viewing the present day Comedy Central, one would surmise that they took a wrong turn somewhere.

In it's 10 year run (actually 11 if you count it's local days on Minnesota's KTMA), established a loyal fan following, of what are known as "Misties". There was even a fan-club, where misties could acquire a membership card.

I'm not sure if most of the recent major networks sitcoms will be missed half as much, even the ones with monster ratings. Sometimes a network just "gets it", and provides an outlet for quality entertainment, disregarding "big ratings", and not going with the "lowest common denominator". MST3K will always be a classic, and will always be loved by all misties worldwide.

One of the funniest things you are ever likely to watch

Author: gary brennan from Swindon, England
7 May 2003

What can be said about Mystery Science Theater 3000? Well lots actually, it's a very funny series where one guy and two puppets comment on B movies from between the 50's and the 80's. The pitch doesn't sound all that, but the comedic timing of these three is unparalleled. I'm not sure how many times they subjected themselves to the likes of Puma man or Space mutiny to notice every little continuity and plot hole errors, but it really pays off.

The series ran for quite a while on the Sci Fi channel on Sky, but not anymore, unfortunately the videos of these great shows is extremely hard to come by too. As such there is probably a large amount of people out there that have not had a chance to watch some of these great episodes. Word to the wise, go see them, it will be the best thing you ever did.

Perhaps the best comedy show ever

Author: Ericho from The nice old region of Florida
28 April 2003

Dang! It's too bad the whole first season won't be shown again! That really stinks!! Anyway, this show RULES!!! It's about this guy,(Mike or Joel) and his robots, Crow and Tom Servo and how they're forced to watch bad movies. I mean, it's just funny! They only pick out the worst, and it shows. If you were watching it, you wouldn't have to make funny comments about the movie, they already do it for you! I only started watching it a few weeks ago, and it's great!!! I hope Sci-Fi Channel airs the earlier episodes with Mike. I'd also like to see Clayton Forrester, Frank and Cambot. I think my favorite ep would be "Squirm" where they see a movie about killer worms. Even the segment parts with Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy are great! I could tell why I haven't heard of many of those movies, because they're so bad!!

It ranks up there with "Saturday Night Live" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" as my favorite comedy shows. The characters are awesome, especially Crow, he's so dang funny!! It's too bad they made it end. I mean, I can think of so many movies I don't like they could spoof. Like "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" "Daredevil" "Mr. Magoo" and "Two Weeks Notice". Anyway, this show shall be remembered by me as perhaps the best live-action show out there! (I say that because my favorite show is "Pokemon") Anyway, you should check it out. A 9/10(or maybe a whole 10/10, I'm not sure) I hope I'll see the episodes that have movies I've heard of like "Revenge Of The Creature" or "Bride Of The Monster".

Tom Servo: I'm going to get a goodbye slap from dad.