IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 6 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

THE most creative, clever show ever.

Author: KShrew from Minnesota
1 October 1999

There has never and very likely will never again be a show like MST3K on television. The network execs apparently hate it because it lampoons the very drivel they produce. Take a look at 99% of what is on the SCI FI CHANNEL and it is just as bad as the movies Mike and the Bots tear apart on their show.

Very sad that it has been cancelled. Keep circulating the tapes, and hope that the talent from Best Brains, Inc. that entertained us so long will come up with something else for us to chuckle at.

GREATEST TV PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY

Author: GeneralB from Philadelphia, PA
29 September 1999

I won't bother telling people what this program is about:many other people have already included that information in their postings. I will say that this is an exceptional, one of a kind program. Nothing else even comes close. Its pointless to dispute that. I stumbled across this incredible program during one of their Turkey Day Marathons, and instantly fell in love with it. Some say Mike is not as good a host as Joel, but I believe this is not true. In fact, in some ways Mike is a better host because he can put a nice level sarcasm in his voice. It is an absolute tragedy that this program is being cancelled. I urge all MST fans to let the networks know how they feel.

THE Best Show Ever!!!

Author: Apearlo (infantchild@hotmail.com) from SOL
27 September 1999

What happens when you throw a guy, two robots, and cheesy, schlocky films together once a week? Some of the most brilliant, hilarious comedy ever conceived. Taking its cue from local horror-hosts, the show goes farther by actually showing the hosts in the theatre making fun of the movie. The show, cancelled after its 10th year, spawned a theatrical release, imitations, fan videos, and no equals. It will be around and loved long after Comedy Central and the Sci-Fi Channel are gone.

Unfortunately NOT and endless chase

Author: paulo20 from NYC
21 September 1999

MST3K ranks up there with The Simpsons as one of the funniest and unique shows of all time (not to mention longest running), the main difference being (besides the fact that one is animated, one isn't) is that Simpsons has garnered heaps of critical praise and commercial rewards, while MST3K has been largely overlooked and thus relegated to barely more than cult status. Think about it. MST3K has its loyal following (apparently not enough to keep it on the air, though), but there are those who don't know it by name and can only identify it as `that guy and those two robots sitting in front of a movie screen'. That can only be because of poor promotional efforts by both Comedy Central and the SciFi Channel. Thus, after 10 years of relative obscurity and less than spectacular ratings, MST3K is no more. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted; in fact, I'm kind of surprised it stuck it out last long. But still, it deserved a better chance. Granted, MST3K wasn't perfect (how many times did a obscure reference just sail by your head?) but no show is and MST3K epitomized what we all love to do: make fun of bad movies. I haven't been able to see all the episodes of MST3K (not even close) but I'll make it a point to get all their videos and watch reruns for as long as they're on.

Ten good years...

Author: cal-33 from Toledo, OH
15 September 1999

And we should be happy for that. However, I will miss getting a weekly fix of MST the way a diabetic will miss insulin. MST has spoiled me for other television programs. Can you name one episode of "Suddenly Susan" or "Jesse" or even "Frasier" that has such a wealth of intelligent writing? For me, only the also cancelled "NewsRadio" even came close. Now only "The Simpsons" and maybe "Futurama" keep television comedy from being non-stop mediocrity. Kudos to the Brains for putting out such a masterpiece for ten years with no reduction in quality. They kept getting better and better every year. I wish I had taped more of the episodes on comedy central when I had the chance. You never know what you have until it is gone. Time to start purchasing the videos!

A Show that ranks above all others...

Author: Anthony Einsel from Hastings, Nebraska
12 September 1999

Mystery Science Theater 3K is an interesting series. The plot is simple, a guy and two robot friends sit through horrible movies and plot out some amazing to funny remarks of the film. There's Mike, Crow, and Tom Servo, three guys that are brave enough to face the challenge. It's very simplistic in design and very natural in comedy. It's amazing... It even ranks up to personal favorites of mine such as Monty Python's Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers. I just wish it wouldn't be 2 hours long, it should be as long as what the movie has been. Of course, the episodes are all the length of movie and why would they have a film adaption to the Tv series. Otherwise, it's fun and wacky, just what people like to order.

A televison show like no other.

Author: John Link (zapman24@home.com) from Pennsylvania
8 September 1999

Smart, witty, and laugh-'till-your-guts-hurt funny, the Peabody-winning show Mystery Science Theater 3000 is truly a comic gem. Although recently canceled by the Sci-Fi Channel, its legacy lives on in the millions of fans, or MSTies, who followed the show through the infamous treatment the show and its creators received from Comedy Central, its former home.

The premise is simple: Mike Nelson (Michael J. Nelson), Crow T. Robot (Bill Corbett, played on Comedy Central by Trace Beaulieu), and chick magnet Tom Servo (Kevin Murphy) are forced to watch bad movies at the hands of mad scientists. Mike and his robot companions fight back by talking over the movie, hurling vicious comments at the screen.

Be warned. Mystery Science Theater is not a show for intellectually challenged people. The comments ranging from Shakespeare's greatest hits to old '70s commercials, MST3K could confuse even the most learned people on the earth.

MST3K enters into television history as one of the longest running series on the boob tube. Its hilarity also places it amongst the ranks of Monty Python's Flying Circus, Charlie Chaplin, and Police Squad!. Its ten year run has broken down barriers of every kind, inspiring generations young and old to say what you think and forget being "politically correct."

This show is not to be missed.

Sheer, unbridled beauty.

Author: TomServo-17 from Connecticut
13 August 1999

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is wonderful, quite simply. My main reason for this would have be the fact that it takes something everyone wants to do (talk during a crappy movie) and gives you these three characters that can do it as much as they want without having to be harassed by an usher. I don't care if he's stranded on a satellite. I envy Mike Nelson. Also, it makes fun of the movies better than I ever could. I think everyone who watches this show has (at least once or twice) tried to imitate the show and watch a movie and try to make fun of it. Most people are usually disappointed in their efforts to do so. I know I was. So, anyway, MST3K is a great show to watch if you have a sense of humor, but if you're a block of wood you probably won't enjoy it. Mind you, that's the ONLY way you wouldn't enjoy it. That I can think of, anyway.

next Sunday .a.d

Author: mendozaman3000 from United Kingdom
21 June 2009

What can be said about Mystery Science Theater 3000? Well lots actually, it's a very funny series where one guy and two puppets comment on B movies from between the 50's and the 80's. The pitch doesn't sound all that, but the comedic timing of these three is unparallelled. I'm not sure how many times they subjected themselves to the likes of Puma man or Space mutiny to notice every little continuity and plot hole errors, but it really pays off.

The series ran for quite a while on the Sci Fi channel on Sky, but not anymore, unfortunately the videos of these great shows is extremely hard to come by too. As such there is probably a large amount of people out there that have not had a chance to watch some of these great episodes. Word to the wise, go see them, it will be the best thing you ever did.

One of my favorites!

Author: Mandi49505 from United States
13 April 2009

When I first was told about this show I was skeptical about it. A bunch of guys talking through an entire movie? Not good. When I actually watched it I thought it was hilarious. I got hooked instantly. The fact that these characters are making fun of really bad movies (which we do anyway) was genius. Even so, I find myself making comments about it while they are doing their own. It's sad that they don't make them anymore, just because I've seen my share of bad movies recently. Ones that I make fun of all the time, and I would love to see them make fun of them also. All in all, I'm not done collecting the sets, as they come out with new ones. (One coming out I think on June 7th)I can't wait to have them all.