IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 5 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"In the not too distant future........"

Author: squill (squillante@aol.com) from New York City, USA
24 January 2000

For 10 years this was the tv show for those who liked their wit intelligent and their repartee snappy. Whether you leaned toward the "Joel" or the "Mike" years, or whether it was "Clayton" or Pearl" of the clan "Forrester" who spiked your favorite cup of poison, the show's standards and, more importantly, respect for their audience's general knowledge and intelligence, remain unparalleled on the tube.

From the initial sci-fi/horror schlock offerings, to the Euro-trashy musclemen-in-loincloths staples, to the inept agents-of-whoever, only the choicest of cinematic faux pas' were poked, prodded and dissected by tv's sharpest minds to the delight of all loyal Misties. My personal favorite skewering - "Kitten With A Whip"! Viva Ann-Margret!

This was "The Golden Age Of Television".

One for the ages

Author: mcgee-8 from Oregon, USA
11 January 2000

Other than perhaps "The Simpsons," I can't think of a better show on TV during the 1990s. But while "The Simpsons" is not above going lowbrow in its attempt to get a laugh, MST3K rarely detoured from the comic high road. The show's respect for its audience was refreshing (and almost unheard of), and the level of intelligence and sophistication shown by the writers and performers was often breathtaking. MST3K was consistently superior to just about all that has passed for "quality" TV.

That said, I think the show did lose something when Joel left, and later when Frank and Trace left. The writing stayed strong -- and Mike's comments on the films were overall as strong as Hodgson's -- but the in-between segments were more uneven. Mike and Mary Jo just didn't have the onscreen presence of their predecessors, although their performances did not distract from the overall genius of the show. (A tip of my hat to Kevin Murphy, whose Tom Servo usually seemed the closest to what I was thinking as I watched those horrid films.)

Unfortunately I haven't yet seen most of the Sci-Fi Channel episodes...so I might change my mind about the "in-betweens." I hope the next decade brings several of the 10 years of episodes to video, but if the relatively paltry output from Rhino is any indication of what's to come, I wouldn't hold my breath.

There is always something to laugh about.

Author: katypie from America
1 December 1999

I will never forget the first time my family and I discovered MST3K. (and boy am I glad we did) I was in another room when I heard them laughing really hard so I went to see what it was and sure enough we had stumbled onto this show. The episode was "The Phantom Planet." And ever since then we have awaited Saturday night with great anticipation (that's our MST night) There is always at least one thing funny about this show.

One of the best TV shows ever.

Author: Hunter-66 from USA
17 October 1999

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is probably the funniest TV show ever. It has been on for 10 years, from Comedy Central to the Sci Fi Channel. It's about a guy named Mike and his robot pals, Tom Servo and Crow, stuck on a satellite, forced to watch old cheesy movies. They make wisecracks at the movies making it so funny to watch. It's very original. The show got very popular when it moved to the Sci Fi Channel. Some of the best episodes in the tenth season (last season) are, "Soultaker", "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonder", "Future War", "Track of the Moon Beast", and of course the series final "Danger: Diabolik". They also made a movie (MST3K: The Movie) which is also very funny and worth a rental. I have to say, Crow is the funniest!

GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME!!

Author: Rattrap007 from Evansville, IN
16 October 1999

This is the greatest show i have ever watched. I have been a fan since 1991-1992. It is the most original show ever. Yet the basic premise of making fun of film has been around for a long time. It IS and ALWAYS will be the greatest show ever created.

Best Comedy Ever

Author: Tavarin
15 October 1999

This is a really good show, even better than Seinfeld, Fraiser and the Simpsons. Very funny, making crappy movies seem good. It is a real shame that this show has been canceled after 10 years of great shows.

MST3K Is the Comedy of the 90s

Author: mst-4
8 October 1999

This very funny & original TV show was the best comedy of the 90s. The concept itself is really humorous: Mike Nelson is held captive on a spaceship by the evil Pearl(Mary Jo Pehl) and forced to watch very bad movies(usually sci-fi or horror) with his 2 robot pals, Crow T. Robot(Bill Corbett) & Tom Servo(Kevin Murphy). During the movies, Mike and the robots make a barrage of wisecracks turning the bad movie experience into great comedies. In between the movie & commercials, Mike & the robots perform funny skits loosely based on the movie they're being tortured with.

The show really came into its own when it moved to the Sci-Fi channel in 1997 when the cast changed a bit and added Bill Corbett as the new voice of Crow. All of the characters play so well off eachother, Crow is the most sarcastic; Mike is laid back and dry and lets the robots ham it up at the right moments(often Mike can be seen cracking up at the others' jokes which in itself it hilarious); Servo is an emotional rollercoaster of humor; Pearl brilliantly overplays her villan character and is aided by her two bumbling sidekicks - Professor Bobo(Kevin Murphy) & Observer(Bill Corbett).

Season 8 (1997 the first Sci Fi season) highlights include: Riding With Death, The Leech Woman, Devil Doll, Prince of Space, & The Horror of Party Beach.

Season 9 highlights include: The Puma Man, Werewolf, The Screaming Skull, & The Phantom Planet.

Season 10's best were: Track of the Moon Beast, The Girl in Gold Boots, Boggy Creek II, Hamlet, & Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders.

Rating = ***** (out of 5)

All good things must come to an end.

Author: eric (eric.wittmer@kiski.org) from ohio
2 October 1999

I know it happened almost two months ago, but one must pay credit where credit is due. A few guys in Minnesota decided to crack jokes over bad movies and a cult figure was born. I started watching MST3K as soon as my cable service had Comedy Central. I didn't really begin my time as a fan until the movie and it's move to the sci-fi channel. Mike and the guys put together some of the funniest shows i have ever seen. Sit-coms are a dead genre, namely because they start to cycle through ideas after a while. What's better than making fun of a bad movie that would normally be as unfunny as Bob Dole. Several years ago I saw their comic genius at work on the movie Quest for the Lost City. I had never laughed that hard before or since. The greatness was original and it is too bad that sci-fi offed you. To their credit, you live on in reruns. Hopefully, MST3K will live on forever because bad movies are still being made. Thank you.

THE most creative, clever show ever.

Author: KShrew from Minnesota
1 October 1999

There has never and very likely will never again be a show like MST3K on television. The network execs apparently hate it because it lampoons the very drivel they produce. Take a look at 99% of what is on the SCI FI CHANNEL and it is just as bad as the movies Mike and the Bots tear apart on their show.

Very sad that it has been cancelled. Keep circulating the tapes, and hope that the talent from Best Brains, Inc. that entertained us so long will come up with something else for us to chuckle at.

GREATEST TV PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY

Author: GeneralB from Philadelphia, PA
29 September 1999

I won't bother telling people what this program is about:many other people have already included that information in their postings. I will say that this is an exceptional, one of a kind program. Nothing else even comes close. Its pointless to dispute that. I stumbled across this incredible program during one of their Turkey Day Marathons, and instantly fell in love with it. Some say Mike is not as good a host as Joel, but I believe this is not true. In fact, in some ways Mike is a better host because he can put a nice level sarcasm in his voice. It is an absolute tragedy that this program is being cancelled. I urge all MST fans to let the networks know how they feel.