IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

What Else Can be Said that Hasn't been said about the modern Shakespeare?

Author: Cole Williams (raptor_2) from United States
13 August 1999

MST3K is EASILY the greatest television show ever produced and witnessed by the human eye. LIke a modern Bible that mirrors its own timeframe, while producing timeless lessons, MST3K is without a doubt the greatest thing to come along since movies came aloong! NOtihng ,and i mean NOTHING is safe from the wrath of Mike, Joel, Servo, and CRooooooooooooooooow! Everyone and everything from Mark McGwire to Shakespeare to fake religeons that phony hollywood people accept all too willingly, to so called "music" television, to my own personal hero, Godzilla, take hits and heart felt and mindful cracks on the ass here. With the best writing in movie, television, or book this side of the simpsons and the godfater, Mystery Science Theatre 3000 will forever live in the faithful MSTies minds....

and especially in the minds of Joe Don baker and everyone else who's name was even mentioned here, celebrity or not. HAHA! take that you pompous airheads! FOR, WHILE YOUR MEMORIES WILL FADE AWAY, THE TIMES OF MST3K WILL LIVE FAR OFF INTO THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE....

next Sunday .a.d

Author: mendozaman3000 from United Kingdom
21 June 2009

What can be said about Mystery Science Theater 3000? Well lots actually, it's a very funny series where one guy and two puppets comment on B movies from between the 50's and the 80's. The pitch doesn't sound all that, but the comedic timing of these three is unparallelled. I'm not sure how many times they subjected themselves to the likes of Puma man or Space mutiny to notice every little continuity and plot hole errors, but it really pays off.

The series ran for quite a while on the Sci Fi channel on Sky, but not anymore, unfortunately the videos of these great shows is extremely hard to come by too. As such there is probably a large amount of people out there that have not had a chance to watch some of these great episodes. Word to the wise, go see them, it will be the best thing you ever did.

One of my favorites!

Author: Mandi49505 from United States
13 April 2009

When I first was told about this show I was skeptical about it. A bunch of guys talking through an entire movie? Not good. When I actually watched it I thought it was hilarious. I got hooked instantly. The fact that these characters are making fun of really bad movies (which we do anyway) was genius. Even so, I find myself making comments about it while they are doing their own. It's sad that they don't make them anymore, just because I've seen my share of bad movies recently. Ones that I make fun of all the time, and I would love to see them make fun of them also. All in all, I'm not done collecting the sets, as they come out with new ones. (One coming out I think on June 7th)I can't wait to have them all.

Excellent!

Author: bravesfan35 from United States
16 February 2009

This is definitely one of the most underrated shows in history. On a low budget, MST3K became a huge phenomenon. What a great concept to have 3 guys (2 robots and 1 human) watch some of the worst movies ever made and make funny comments throughout the films. I can't watch a single one without having to pause it because I was laughing so hard and didn't want to miss anything. The writers, led by Michael J. Nelson, are absolutely brilliant. Even with changes to the cast (Joel, Frank and Trace leaving, Bill Corbett taking over the role of Crow, Mike replacing Joel), the show did not lose a single ounce of comedic flavor. Anytime I need a good laugh, I can just pop in an MST3K episode and my mood is guaranteed to improve. This show tops any other sit-com including Seinfeld, Frasier, Friends, That 70's Show, Two and a Half Men, The Simpsons, etc. You name a sit-com, MST3K is funnier. I don't see how anyone could give this show anything less than 9 or 10 stars. I just don't. Even if you're not a Sci-Fi kind of person, you will love this show. Though I wish this show lasted longer than 10 seasons, that's a lot of episodes and a lot of bad movies. I don't envy the writers having to watch these films over and over. MST3K is a thrill-ride you will never forget. To the person who said she could see why it got cancelled, it lasted 10 seasons and I'm not sure it did get cancelled or if they just decided to call it quits. If a show can last 10 seasons, it's obviously not that bad.

Side splitting laughs guarantied.

Author: hannelore_leavy from United States
20 December 2006

Personally this is the funniest thing i've ever set my eyes on. When ever I watch an episode I just think oh my gosh what if you were watching the movie without Mike/or/Joel and Crow and Tomservo it would be awful. There would be nothing to watch just a bunch of junk. My favorite episode would have to be 'Girl in The Golden Boots.'I just Can't get over how stupid the movie is there is no point to it. Just a dumb broad who wants to be a dancer. Who really stinks at it. and then there are all these ditsy dancers and anyway there is no point to it. But Mike, Crow and Tomservo make it all worth while. The theme song gives a great summery of what the show is about. I'm not so good at making comments so hopefully some other peoples comments make you want to watch the show. Everyone who loves comedy should take the time to watch an episode or two.

!! ROBOT ROLL-CALL: Cambot, Gypsy, Tom Servo, Crooooow !!

Author: Joe Roussin from United States
2 October 2006

A mild Mannered Every-man is shot into space by a mad scientist and is forced to watch the worst Movies of all time. Luckily, he's a handyman, and he builds himself some robot friends to help him endure the unfathomably bad bits that Hollywood had to offer. So, basically it's sort of the plot from Silent Running (1972), but with movies instead of murders. This show was Mystery Science Theater 3000 and truly it was brilliant. It ran for 7 years on Comedy Central and 3 Years on The Sci-Fi Network (spanning 10 years and producing a feature film)! The movie changes every week, so the strength of the show has a good deal to do with what movie they are watching. The Show typically comes in 3 Flavors: A) The movie is bad, but ambitiously bad. These are Typically the funniest/most entertaining episodes, as the jokes come easier at the films expense. (Example: Time Chasers, The Brain That Woudln't Die)

B) The Movie Features uninteresting/cliché characters, as well as poorly lit/shot scenes. The acting is sub-par. The sheer awfulness of these films is cut by the hilarious jokes and quips. The movies are watchable, but not by much. These episodes can still be quite entertaining, if the jokes really hit. (Examples: Samson Vs. The Vampire Women, The Deadly Mantis)

C) These are the most putrid piles of BUTT-ROT ever known to man. Often these 'films' were written/directed/produced by some random moron who got some friends and family to 'star'. These films should be shot into the sun. These episodes are very hit or miss for most. These movies are truly unwatchable and weird. The average viewer can't endure it, even if the jokes are funny. These are for the hardest of the hardcore fans (Examples: MANOS: The Hands Of Fate, Sky Divers, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?)

DEFENSE: It might look like a puppet show to those who haven't seen it before. I could understand how some people might even think it looks ridiculous, and to it's critics I say this: get passed the cheesy sets and low budget and use your imagination a little. If you buy into the show's premise, the payout is huge and hilarious. Truly, One of the best television shows of all time.

Forget the Simpsons, MST3K is the king!!!

Author: Master Gomorrah (akio@quintiliano.zzn.com) from Sao Paulo, Brasil
14 February 2003

MST3K: the best thing created since tempura seafood!!!

MST3K begins with two plots. First plot deals with square worker Joel whom is banished into space by a mad scientist Dr. Forrester and his lackey, Mr. Airheart (later replaced by TV Frank), being forced to watch campy and cheesy movies. Since Joel cannot do it by himself, he creates robots to help him bash the movies the scientists sends.

The second plot is where Joel somehow escapes (how though) and is replaced with Mike (BTW, Mike is the co-creator of the show). The robots are still there, and still the mad scientists show them the films. But later, TV's Frank retires, and we get to meet Forrester's mom, Pearl. Pearl gets tired of her son running things, so she sends him into a black hole and her two sidekicks, an ape man and a pale guy with a brain-pan thing assist her with the B-movie dossage.

I swear, if it was not for this show, I would go mad from these horrible movies!

Genius!!!!!

Author: connerg-2 from Ellensburg, WA
31 March 2000

MST3K is the best show ever created!!! The funniest crap I have seen on TV!!! And anywhere else!!!! Genius!!! The best ever, cool, funny as hell!!! The best ever, please come back, this show rules, come on you cannot put this down because it kicks butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infantile trash.

Author: Derekflint-726-995720 from United States
22 September 2013

What's so hilarious about a show that criticizes low budget films? With the comments so supposedly clever that idiotic fans label the show "genius" and the "greatest show, ever...", etc. MST3K is the TV equivalent of idiotic trash like the Howard Stern radio show. A bunch of morons sit around and make fun of, whatever, without taking a good look at themselves. Taking pot shots at low-budget films is no big deal. The morons who embrace this show have no imagination and have to have someone make the remarks for them, so they can feel superior. If MST3K took on the big, so-called "important" films, like ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN, THE COLOR PURPLE, ARMISTAD, anything by Woody Allen, Robert Redford, Spike Lee, etc., then I could respect them. Making fun of a low-budget film on a televised show, is the TV equivalent of a bully picking on a 98 pound weakling.

Joel Hodgson is my idol.

Author: DragonMasterHiro from Deep 13
16 July 2003

The man had the best idea ever. Take the crappiest movies ever made and make a show all about making fun of them. It's the idea everyone else wish they thought of first because we all do it. Joel found the formula, and the perfect way to institute it. Not only that, but because he worked his way up from his initial KTMA studio days and then finally to Comedy Central. The show later on was adopted by the Sci-Fi Channel after Joel left the show. I haven't seen every episode and the show was on when I was a kid, so there is still a lot I don't know about.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* I also love the premise of the show. You learn about the story in the theme song of the show. Joel Robinson works at Gizmonics Institute doing janitorial work, shipping, etc. His bosses, Dr. Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank, didn't like him so they took his red jumpsuit wearin' keister and shot him into space aboard the Satellite of Love. As part of their weekly experiments, they send him the cheesiest movies they can find and force him to watch. A man would go insane having to deal with that all by himself so makes a sacrifice. He can't control when the movie starts or stops because he uses the machinery to make robots. You've got Cambot, who's purpose is to film Joel as he makes his broadcast. Gypsy, the only girl robot aboard (aside from Magic Voice who is just a voice) who keeps the Satellie functioning. Tom Servo, the bubbly little gumball machine. And of course, the legendary Crow T. Robot made from gold parts, famously the bowling pin nose.

I've never been a fan of Mike since his onscreen presence didn't have the same strength as Joel. Mike did a lot of appearances (Torgo, Morrissey, Steve "Hercules" Reeves) prior to taking over as the human. He didn't have great host segments, partially due to the loss of the invention exchanges (which was Joel's fault). I just didn't like the fact that someone took the reigns for Joel and that minor changes were made to the set. Mike did the great writing for the show but his words came out better through Joel, in my opinion.

I think I first saw the show when I was 9 or 10 and just being floored by it. It was on at midnight on Comedy Central, and I would stay up late when I wasn't supposed to so I could watch it. I LOVED IT. I usually didn't make it for the full two hours but watching Joel and the 'bots was amazing to me. The first one I might have seen all of was "King Dinosaur". As time went on, I would tape all the episodes I could. I wanted to get a jumpsuit just like Joel's and I would run around making wisecracks I heard from the show. They released a few movies on tape through Rhino, namely "Catalina Caper", "Manos: the Hands of Fate" (CLASSIC), "The Gunslinger", "Side Hackers", and a few others as well as MST3K Shorts featuring different segments they performed. I'm waiting for them get more out. Other favorites of mine were "King Dinosaur", "Super Agent: Super Dragon", "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians", "Hercules Unchained", "Beneath the Ocean Floor" and "Eegah".

It's truly priceless. Awesome series, I wish I could have helped work on it. Turn your lights down (where applicable) and have a Patrick Swayze Christmas.