IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of the most original (and funny) TV shows ever.

Author: (jribakove@worldnet.att.net) from Staten Island, NY
29 July 2000

MST3K has maybe one of the most orignal TV comedy show formats ever. It's very structured (there's a certain amount of sketches and movie time occuring at specific times during the show). However, it has a brilliant mix of sketches with movie time. I think that if you really watch and listen to the movie riffing, you'll catch the broadest range of references as well as obvious jokes than in any 2 hours on TV. I know I sound like an obsessed fan, but MST3K is certainly a more entertaining (and intelligent & enlightening) obsession than some others.

The best thing since paper!

Author: TVGM3000-2 from I dunno, USA
18 July 2000

I bet the Chinese in China always brag about being the first to make paper. Who cares?

We as a country should brag about MST3k, one of the best things man has ever invented.

So watch it every Saturday @ 9:00 A.M (7/00) on the SCI-FI channel and see for your self.

Excellent.

Author: Jerry from Iowa
15 July 2000

Probably the 2nd best TV show ever, after The Simpsons of course. So far I have only seen the Sci-Fi channel ones because I just started to watch this show right after they canceled it last year. I say they should work on getting the Comedy Central ones on Saturday morning Sci-Fi. From what I've read, they sound better than the Sci-Fi channel ones.

My favorite episode, Space Mutiny. Just can't beat the lame cart fight and the dead lady on the bridge. I also liked, well the rest of the series. Makes a lot of sitcoms look dull, repetitive and cheesey by comparison. Catch this and you'll catch a great piece of 90's television and the worst movies EVER.

It made me a B-movie fan

Author: Snow Dog-2 from Los Angeles, California
29 June 2000

It seems there are two kinds of people: those who love MST3K, and those who haven't seen it, I don't know of anyone who actively dislikes this show. As for myself, I began watching at around 13 or 14, and while it didn't change my life, it did significantly alter my viewing habits. MST3K taught me that watching bad movies can be a fun, even educational experience. It's a great show that brought some of the most obscure pieces of pop-culture detritus to the public attention (I even liked one of the movies), and though it may be gone, there will always be bad movies to snipe at...

A much missed favorite

Author: sngbrd39 from US
28 May 2000

At one time, MST3K was my favorite show on TV. By the time the last episode rolled around, it was not my favorite, but it was still high on my list. Its original premise and laugh-out-loud humor are as priceless now as they ever were. I still love to watch the reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel, but I regret that I have never seen the majority of the Comedy Central episodes, which came on in the days before I had discovered it. I am encouraged that they are putting out more videos, but it would be great if those older episodes were on TV again so I could see them for myself. It's only too bad that such a great show spawned such a so-so movie.

The perfect comedy drug

Author: QKnown from CALIfornia
16 May 2000

We all know how funny it is to make joking remarks about films, even if they happen to be your favorite good ones.

But when you watch this guy and a couple robots make jokes about the worst movies ever made, You cant help but to die laughing.

MST3K is truly one of the greatest and memorable shows of all time!

My favorite "projects"(or episodes): HERCULES UNCHAINED, HORROR AT PARTY BEACH, CAVE DWELLERS, ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE, THE FINAL SACRIFICE, and of course, MANOS!!

It's the wind, baby!

Author: UCB Agent1 from Chicago, IL
30 March 2000

I first came across MST3K when I was but a Freshman in High School, back in the good old days of 1992. The series was still pretty young then, but easily at it's creative height. The first episode I ever saw was "City Limits", though I do remember seeing ads for the show on Comedy Central and thinking it looked stupid. I was wrong. That episode, in which Crow first realizes his love for Kim Cattral in two memorable host segments(The Song and the "Mannequin" scene), hooked me. I only caught about half of it, but next week I was back in front of the TV for a full two hours of "Teenagers From Outer Space", and I tried not to miss an episode after that. I got my family into it, but couldn't really get my friends into it. They never loved movies and wacky pop culture references as much as I did, though I did find a girlfriend who loved the show as much as I did. When we broke up, she still had my copy of "Pod People". Never saw it again until it came out on tape.

Anyway, I'll always remember the show, and I'll always watch my favorites, as I've amassed a few on tape since '92. It was consistently funny, even though some of the movies were so bad that even the brilliant minds at Best Brains couldn't save them. The shorts were always classic, and I for one always liked the host segements. When the show went to SciFi, I think it lost more than just Clayton Forrester, it lost some of what had made it great, something intangible. While the SciFi years have had their moments("Soultaker", "Parts:The Clonus Horror"), the best work was done on Comedy Central. Even after TV's Frank left. The shortened season 7 has some great ones, like the Incredible Melting Man and Bronx:2000. I miss those days.

That's enough of my rambling. The show will always stand next to the Simpsons as one of the funniest things ever produced on television, or any other medium. I mourn it's loss, but celebrate it's achievements.

No matter how many times I watch this,I never get tired of it!

Author: Chibi Riza from Kahn
12 March 2000

MST3K is one of the best shows ever to be made on Television.It makes a lot of classic references to many various things,from rock stars to retro 50's Saturday morning cartoons.And not to mention that they do a suberb job on mocking bad movies and just plain twisted movies too!And it never stayed with one thing.Themes kept changing for all those 12 years to 1999.

I just wish if there is ever going to be anymore shows that mock bad and twisted movies,let's hope it will be as excellent as this!

One of the funniest shows around

Author: HunterK (hunter_kahn@hotmail.com) from Pennsylvania, USA
18 February 2000

I found MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 to be one of the most creative, original, funniest and greatest shows I've ever seen. It's very unique and has never been done before. It also has some very talented and very funny people, like Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy and Trace Beaulieu. I didn't know there were so many bad b-rated movies until these guys found them and made fun of them. Then turn watching a crappy movie into a funny and enjoyable experience. It's a shame that this terrific show is over, because this is one show that never gets old.

"In the not too distant future........"

Author: squill (squillante@aol.com) from New York City, USA
24 January 2000

For 10 years this was the tv show for those who liked their wit intelligent and their repartee snappy. Whether you leaned toward the "Joel" or the "Mike" years, or whether it was "Clayton" or Pearl" of the clan "Forrester" who spiked your favorite cup of poison, the show's standards and, more importantly, respect for their audience's general knowledge and intelligence, remain unparalleled on the tube.

From the initial sci-fi/horror schlock offerings, to the Euro-trashy musclemen-in-loincloths staples, to the inept agents-of-whoever, only the choicest of cinematic faux pas' were poked, prodded and dissected by tv's sharpest minds to the delight of all loyal Misties. My personal favorite skewering - "Kitten With A Whip"! Viva Ann-Margret!

This was "The Golden Age Of Television".