IMDb > "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mystery Science Theater 3000"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 4 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The funniest live action show ever made.

Author: squir1y from Stevens Point, Wisconsin
7 September 2001

I loved this show so much. I'm a huge fan of sci-fi movies and I'm glad someone finally had the guts to step in and make fun of the bad ones. So many bad movies had been on here. Too bad I only caught the last couple seasons. I was happy though that I could watch Mike and the bots make fun of movies like Puma Man, Soultaker, Boggy Creek II, Squirm, Future War, The Girl in the Golden Boots and Diabolik. But I was deeply saddened when they put an end to the show because there were so many bad movies that made it out unscathed that they could have gone on for an extra ten years. Oh well, I'll always have them on video to remind me how great this was. 10/10

Easily my favorite show of all time... Where can I buy the first season?

Author: ctyrant (ctyrant@twcny.rr.com) from Syracuse, New York
6 September 2001

I see I'm not alone in my belief that this was one of the most innovative and hilarious shows on television. I'm interested in buying the first season or few, if you have any information on where I can find this please e-mail me.

A hilarious way to get to know your B-Movies

Author: Invader Joel from Joeltopia
23 August 2001

I love MST3K. True, once in a while you'll get a bad episode (hey, you try making fun of bad old movies) but for the most part they're hilarious. It's an acquired humor for sure but I think it's one of the best things on TV. If there's one bad thing about the show, it's the often uninspired host segments. No offense guys but keep to the movies!

The single best television series of all-time. Period.

Author: Thanos6 from Newberry, SC
12 August 2001

"The Simpsons?" Bah. 'Tis overrated. MST3K here is the best.

When it premiered, no one could have imagined it, not even the creators. This show? This show, about a guy and two robots mocking bad movies, become internationally loved and acclaimed? And lasting over a decade? Nah.

But it happened. Of course, the show that premiered on KTMA was not the same show that ended on Sci-Fi. But the main premise was essentially the same, and that premise is all this show really needs.

Always funny and often hilarious, MST3K has managed to worm its way into the pop-culture unconscious even more in the last couple of years, not a mean feat for a cancelled show. That, in and of itself, should speak volumes.

A great thing to watch during a mostly bad TV era

Author: jeffplus3 from Colorado
18 July 2001

MST3K was something to enjoy during the 1990s, which spawned stupid dramas, soap operas, and "Jerry Springer" type shows. It's hilarious, but it doesn't go overboard with it. The jokes are intelligent and the concept is the best on TV. It's fun to see bad movies that take themselves too seriously on this type of a show. Anyone who could make a movie like "Hobgoblins" or "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" DESERVES it. They're movies that are too serious and so poor you don't care about the characters or plot. I feel the only reason these movies were put on this earth were to go straight to MST3K. I mean, who in their right mind would watch "Hobgoblins" without those three at the bottom? WHO? And once the movie gets a spot on the show, you can't stop laughing. I simply could not comprehend what anyone is thinking who does not find the show funny even sometimes! You have to admit the show is clever and FUN to watch.

By the way, I would love, just LOVE, to see an episode of "Days of our Lives" on MST3K. Soap operas are perfect for that show!

Thanks for the laughs, MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000!

Along With "Celebrity DeathMatch," The Greatest Television Show of All Time.

Author: zeptron
30 June 2001

There is nothing I can possibly say about this show that hasn't already been said. It is, quite simply, a masterpiece of television shows. Amazing how something made a bunch of general unknowns manages to be funnier than nearly all those big name sitcoms on TV; thus, it's kinda like those little known indie flicks that pop up out of nowhere & manage to be better than most of today's more popular films (1 such indie flick is "Cube," which was just great).

Words simply cannot even begin to describe the incalculable brilliance of this beautiful show. The writing is just so unbelievably funny. In fact, the only shows that even come close to this are "The Drew Carey Show," "South Park," "The Simpsons," (of course) & "Celebrity DeathMatch."

If you want to know the plot of the whole series, then go to mst3kinfo.com & look up The Almost But Not Quite Complete History of MST3K. It's quite long, but it's definitely worth it. I haven't seen every episode, but all the ones I have seen are superb. I don't have a favorite yet, but I will some day.

However, it's incomprehensibly sad that this never got better exposure & hype; if that happened it could've been a cultural icon as big as "The Simpsons." Sadly, it will forever be known to the general public as "that show with the guy & the robots making fun of the bad movies." But to fans, it will live on forever as an enduring classic. In my opinion, this & "Celebrity DeathMatch" are the Greatest Television Shows of All Time. Until I post again, I live you with the the words that closed out this beautiful work of television art:

"Is that Stud coming?"

ROCK ON, "MST3K!"

There is nothing that I can say..

Author: philipt-3 from Johannesburg, SA
27 June 2001

.. that would do this show justice. You will consistently hear and see people calling this 'the greatest show of all time', and believe me, it is no accident. The humour is incredibly intelligent, pumped full of obscure pop-culture references that sometimes only hit home on the 3rd or 4th viewing of a particular episode (and to the serious MSTies out there, 3 or 4 viewings is about average).

As with all things this good, the true genius of the show will only become apparent to the masses once it is long gone, cancelled by yet another profiteering TV station, but as long as there are passionate MSTies out there willing to share the good word, and perhaps a tape or two, we have nothing to worry about.

Thanks to the Best Brains crew for making it interesting.

This was one of the best shows on cable!

Author: Stanze from Nevada, USA
3 June 2001

MST3K was one of the BEST shows on cable on TV for that matter! In my opinion the funniest episodes were "Jackfrost", "Hurculese", "Werewolf", & "Hurculese vs The Moonmen". This show is so greatly missed by me & everyone I know. I will continue to record all the repeats I can find. Thank god "Sex & The City" hasn't been cancelled yet :)

Best Series Ever

Author: director9ff from The Sattelite of Love
11 May 2001

I'm a movie person, reading person, and computer person. I don't watch TV much, and most series recently are dull.

My point is that I don't like TV. But this is one of the three exceptions. It is originally about Joel Robinson, who is better at inventing than Dr. Clayton Forrester. Because of this, Joel is sent up into space to watch the worst movies ever made. But, as Joel says, "When you've got lemons, you make lemonade." He makes fun of these films with two robots he invented, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo, while the Sattelite of Love is operated by Gypsy, another robot, and we see the show through Cambot's view.

In season 5, the Mads (Forrester and TV's Frank) are plotting the death of Michael J. Nelson, and Gypsy thinks they are talking about Joel. So Mike tells her that there is an escape pod (hidden in a box marked Hamdingers) and can help Joel escape, but it only holds him. He escapes, and Mike is sent up to watch the films.

in season 7, Frank is taken into Second Banana Heaven by the angel Torgo. (Torgo was in "Manos: Hands of Fate" which is universally agreed the worst film EVER.) And in the final episode on Comedy Central, Deep 13 is the place Forrester has been hiding for a long time, but due to funding, he is forced to close it. As Mike and the Bots are about to enter Earth's atmosphere (which will kill them), they barely escape, and become pure energy and leave the solar system. Dr. Forrester watches himself grow old, and seeing a tape labeled "The Worst Film Ever Made," turns into a Star Child. (2001: A Space Oddysey is what they are spoofing.)

For Comedy Central, it's over, but in 1997, it was ressurected. The gang learns that Pearl Forrester has killed Dr. Forrester, and is now sending them movies. Pearl is Dr. Forrester's mother, and with Observer and Bobo, go to ancient Rome, ending in Bobo accidentally burning it down. They then go somewhere (I don't know), and in season nine, go to Castle Forrester.

(Spoilers Ahead) In the final episode, Pearl is playing with a joystick that controls the SOL, but breaks it, sending them to Earth. They survive, and Mike, Crow and Tom live in an apartment, watching bad movies. Gypsy starts ConGypsCo.

If you want a short summary: It's about making fun of bad movies, and it does that well. Some people like me are MSTies, or fans. We don't want to give up, and some won't. And if you want my opinion, watch it on the Sci-Fi channel. If it's gone, go to Blockbuster and get some episodes. No matter which, they are funny. If you want my opinion for video, get "Pod People," and if you're lucky to find it on Sci-Fi, wait fo Hobgoblins, Soultaker, and Danger Diabolik. JUST WATCH ONE-you'll never regret it.

Hahahahahaaa!I just want more now!

Author: Poona Kan Ng from Versandi Gate
27 December 2000

I just love MST3K.I have recorded tapes of it at home here as well and seem like the only ones that are getting weared out,due to watching it so much.And yes,I'm into B-films,but some are either un-acceptable w/o the MST3k gang,or the fact that I've learned that Western distributors screw them up for everyone.Yes,I live in the Far East(Hong Kong),but I have some Westerner buds living near me as well.I never knew if they aired it over in HK,but who cares,I'm enjoying myself with this show already!

Must watch more MST3K,HA HA HA HAAA!