Home and Away (TV Series 1988– ) Poster

(1988– )

67 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
taloolah8523 May 2006
I have to say that I am from the UK and i love and always have loved Home and Away. I've watched it since Pippa and Sally, Michael and Bobby and Marilyn were in it!! Just to say not all people in the UK don't like Home and Away. Many just prefer Eastenders and all the British soaps because they are home-grown and because to them, Home and Away is sometimes not as real-life and gritty as British soaps-not taking anything away from Home and Away as it is a brilliantly entertaining programme. Anyway, just wanted to comment on the last comment posted. Also, this is one good video -classic Home and Away with lots of the old classic characters from the beginning!
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good place to escape to!
Leon-4012 July 1999
Summer Bay is a good place to escape to, every night. Something you can relate to..fun,vibrant, and there is always something happening, you're never bored! Over the years you get to think you know the characters, you've been watching them for so long. A show which I'll look back on and remember.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch the earlier episodes...
da cissy pimp16 August 2001
Those people who, like me, live in Australia should know that Channel 7 is currently screening the older episodes of "Home and Away" (otherwise known as "Home and Away, The Early Years) in addition to the new ones. I would recommend watching these older episodes (which, at the time of my writing this, go all the way back to 1989), but forgetting about the current ones. The earlier episodes of "Home and Away" seem a lot fresher (probably because all of the storylines had only been recycled a few times, rather than fifty or so which is no doubt the case by now), and also give the viewer a chance to laugh at all of the horrible late '80s fads and fashions depicted in them (I remember one earlier episode, for example, which had Carly wearing a T-shirt with the message "Twenty Decades Old" on it; God, that is sooooooooooooo 1988!). The characters also seem a lot more interesting A friend of mine once said that the series really suffered when that lovable pair of dimwits Lance and Martin left it; he may well have been right.

Although I have attempted to watch the newer episodes of "Home and Away" on various occasions, I came to the sad conclusion that I was simply killing too many brain cells each time I did this, so have since given up on them. From what I have heard from other people who still watch the current episodes, I have gathered that these episodes have two glaring faults ie:

1) the producers are more concerned with ISSUES these days than simply telling a story.

2) the show is now filled with annoying fifteen year-olds who are always wanting to hop into bed with each other ie it's trying to become the Australian version of "Dawson's Creek" (another lame show).
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Past Glories
Oilers8528 February 2001
Home & Away had its best days in the mid 90's when they actually had good actors and a few decent storylines. It started to go down hill after about 1997 when the characters became all to similar and the storylines revisited (but then again what soapy doesn't?). This show is watchable until you feel the recycling and then its a turnoff. I do admire a couple of the actors though who have stuck with the show and not got stars in their eyes and expectations beyond their abilities.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A light-hearted but entertaining show
helen-213 July 1999
I think H&A is a great show. You have to appreciate the history to enjoy the show. The show has a lot of history and helps budding young actors get started. Kate Richie is one of the best actors, probably because she was there from the start and we (the viewers) were able to see her grow up. The show is obviously a little exaggerated I mean our ordinary life is not as adventurous but I think that's what makes us (the viewers) watch it. Thanks for a teriffic show, I will always watch it.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best TV shows ever made!
daniel_hofverberg21 November 2000
Home and Away is definitely my favorite TV show. There are not many shows made that compares to this one. It´s a great show with interesting storylines, good actors and a good script. There is not much more to add, really...

Home and Away is definitely the best Australian show ever made, and even counting shows from all countries, it´s still one of the very best. I can definitely recommend you all to watch this.

Since I live in Scandinavia, we are a couple of years behind Australia in the airings so I haven´t seen the last couple of years of the Australian productions, plus that the stations here skipped a number of episodes in the beginning, but the 600 or so episodes that I have seen has been great!

/Daniel Hofverberg
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
are you insane?
kiaora10 November 2004
I can't help but notice that most of the people who dislike Home and Away are from the UK. This isn't a criticism at all, I just find it funny, and it makes sense because the lifestyle over there is so completely different. My partner is English and has been here (in NZ) 2 and a half years, I watch Home and Away every day without fail and he just doesn't get it. We have re runs from 1990 on PrimeTV and it is brilliant being able to watch earlier episodes as well as the new. Home and Away is an awesome representation of Aussie life, the characters are great, Credit where credits due, you Aussies make a brilliant soap. I say this because you guys obviosly have a liking for our music, every piece of background music in the diner or surfclub is Kiwi, (well a lot of it) there's a lot of dub and the feelers good on ya. Honestly Home and Away far surpasses things like Eastenders and Coronation St, and i'd say that would be the opinion of most Kiwis and Aussies.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a very good drama
mongoose24915 March 2002
ok,maybe it can be over the top! but the person who said that it was the worst TV show well for a silly TV show its lasted pretty long! it is a very good show. And is famous to many people over the world so get over you self whoever said that!

It is the BEST TV drama yet! Their characters are not real but is really realistic to life in Australia: Divorce, affairs, children, unexpected pregnancies, runaway kids,abusive families, love, loss, honour, and heroism. The diner is something also that makes the show. Believe me people! this is a very good drama. It is very good, Trust Me! its great!
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Think Its Good!!!!
sian2k23 March 2000
I think that Home and Away is really good even though every child in the cast apart from 3 are misfits of some sorts i.e. runaway's and drug addicts!! And every family has at least 1 adopted child and you wonder where do they get the money to support these children?? The way they accept the kids is stupid too its like just come on in and live here with the other freaks in the house!! But its silly stories and funny cast are very entertaining!
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Where Do I begin???
NeverAgain8523 January 2010
Lets start off with the line "Im Sorry", yes, this is the most overused line in the whole show. People get thick with each other, say I'm sorry,everything is hunky dory again, and then it all starts again,over,and over,and over,and over again. Second off, the story lines are mind boggling, absolutely, atrocious. Each character in the whole show has to be the most unluckiest person in the world,being cheated on, being accused of murder, get pregnant by someone who eventually leaves town, and then finally death, or just leaves anyway because his/her business contract has expired after 2 years. 1 of these things has happened to at least all the character on the show. And the drinking problem storyline is still there, yup, after 22 years,its still there. And you know what makes me really sick is that each character has to stick their nose in to other peoples business, and the other person gladly tells them everything thats happening in their life, while the other person says "well if there's anything i can do,let me know" if it was me,id tell them to mind their own go damn business. Each person is one and the same. It is so unreal that this programme gets funding. This is the perfect example of bad television, it is juvenile, the female adults are either pure soccer mom stereotypes, or just act like teenagers themselves. Its a disgrace
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this