IMDb > "Home and Away" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Home and Away"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Home and Away" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A good place to escape to!

Author: anonymous from Perth
12 July 1999

Summer Bay is a good place to escape to, every night. Something you can relate to..fun,vibrant, and there is always something happening, you're never bored! Over the years you get to think you know the characters, you've been watching them for so long. A show which I'll look back on and remember.

Author: taloolah85 from United Kingdom
23 May 2006

I have to say that I am from the UK and i love and always have loved Home and Away. I've watched it since Pippa and Sally, Michael and Bobby and Marilyn were in it!! Just to say not all people in the UK don't like Home and Away. Many just prefer Eastenders and all the British soaps because they are home-grown and because to them, Home and Away is sometimes not as real-life and gritty as British soaps-not taking anything away from Home and Away as it is a brilliantly entertaining programme. Anyway, just wanted to comment on the last comment posted. Also, this is one good video -classic Home and Away with lots of the old classic characters from the beginning!

Past Glories

Author: Oilers85 (greghunt71@bigpond.com) from Melbourne, Australia
28 February 2001

Home & Away had its best days in the mid 90's when they actually had good actors and a few decent storylines. It started to go down hill after about 1997 when the characters became all to similar and the storylines revisited (but then again what soapy doesn't?). This show is watchable until you feel the recycling and then its a turnoff. I do admire a couple of the actors though who have stuck with the show and not got stars in their eyes and expectations beyond their abilities.

Watch the earlier episodes...

Author: da cissy pimp from Adelaide, Australia
16 August 2001

Those people who, like me, live in Australia should know that Channel 7 is currently screening the older episodes of "Home and Away" (otherwise known as "Home and Away, The Early Years) in addition to the new ones. I would recommend watching these older episodes (which, at the time of my writing this, go all the way back to 1989), but forgetting about the current ones. The earlier episodes of "Home and Away" seem a lot fresher (probably because all of the storylines had only been recycled a few times, rather than fifty or so which is no doubt the case by now), and also give the viewer a chance to laugh at all of the horrible late '80s fads and fashions depicted in them (I remember one earlier episode, for example, which had Carly wearing a T-shirt with the message "Twenty Decades Old" on it; God, that is sooooooooooooo 1988!). The characters also seem a lot more interesting A friend of mine once said that the series really suffered when that lovable pair of dimwits Lance and Martin left it; he may well have been right.

Although I have attempted to watch the newer episodes of "Home and Away" on various occasions, I came to the sad conclusion that I was simply killing too many brain cells each time I did this, so have since given up on them. From what I have heard from other people who still watch the current episodes, I have gathered that these episodes have two glaring faults ie:

1) the producers are more concerned with ISSUES these days than simply telling a story.

2) the show is now filled with annoying fifteen year-olds who are always wanting to hop into bed with each other ie it's trying to become the Australian version of "Dawson's Creek" (another lame show).

A light-hearted but entertaining show

Author: anonymous from Adelaide, Australia
13 July 1999

I think H&A is a great show. You have to appreciate the history to enjoy the show. The show has a lot of history and helps budding young actors get started. Kate Richie is one of the best actors, probably because she was there from the start and we (the viewers) were able to see her grow up. The show is obviously a little exaggerated I mean our ordinary life is not as adventurous but I think that's what makes us (the viewers) watch it. Thanks for a teriffic show, I will always watch it.

Pleasing Fluff for Daily Viewing

Author: Rachel Jackson (supersoaker900) from Birmingham, England
15 July 2010

I used to watch Home and Away when I was a kid but as I grew up stopped watching it. I recently, at the age of 27, caught up on YouTube on the last month of the program and I like it. If you're not looking for over-realistic soap then this is a great program to watch.

When compared with British soaps it's more light-hearted, funny and entertaining to watch. I for one don't pay for a TV licence so that I can watch a realistic program about a bunch of unwashed-looking English people shouting at each other. Watching shows like Eastenders in comparison it's no wonder all foreigners think we're booze hounds who like to fight and talk in stupid accents.

Don't get me wrong, Home and Away isn't perfect: between the big story lines where something huge happens (like the Hugo skipping town storyline and corrupt cop Eaves), some story lines can get a little banal, like Alf's fear of a ventriloquist dummy spanning SEVERAL episodes, or Elijah's parents being annoying for an entire WEEK but accomplishing nothing much is a bit boring and annoying, but some story lines keep things ticking along nicely and prevent it from getting horrible to watch.

One of the biggest flaws with this show is that there is ALWAYS someone with a drinking problem every couple of months, there is ALWAYS a wedding that's getting rocky during planning, there's ALWAYS a young girl and an older guy crush... aka the standard soap story lines. It would be nice if H&A broke the mould and came up with a new 'dramatic' story line.

What I love about soaps is that you can pick up after a long time of not watching it and just start; you'll get caught up soon enough. With Home and Away this is especially easy because they keep it simple, which is what I like.

One of the best TV shows ever made!

Author: Daniel Hofverberg (daniel_hofverberg@yahoo.com) from Skellefteå, Sweden
21 November 2000

Home and Away is definitely my favorite TV show. There are not many shows made that compares to this one. It´s a great show with interesting storylines, good actors and a good script. There is not much more to add, really...

Home and Away is definitely the best Australian show ever made, and even counting shows from all countries, it´s still one of the very best. I can definitely recommend you all to watch this.

Since I live in Scandinavia, we are a couple of years behind Australia in the airings so I haven´t seen the last couple of years of the Australian productions, plus that the stations here skipped a number of episodes in the beginning, but the 600 or so episodes that I have seen has been great!

/Daniel Hofverberg

Amazing Show.

Author: jaydenlove from Australia
27 October 2015

Why doesn't Home and Away bring in a new gay character? I mean, come on, in this day and age what is the problem? Even back in 1988 it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. I know they have had gay characters before, without all the kissing and stuff, which I guess they thought was fine. It's not fine that they can hide a subject like this. It is ridiculous and homophobic. The Charlie and Joey storyline in 2009 was definitely what the show needed. They deemed this as "inappropriate"? What about all the drugs, murders, rapes, guns, violence and teen pregnancy? Such A Great Show! 21/10 IGN.

Neighbours, a show that I would never watch, gets to have gay characters and it is only G rated. Home and Away is PG and deals with more adult themes and they can't do this? I just don't understand.

This point is that this is 2015, gay people exist - even in Summer Bay. Home and Away is not a kids show, it never was. I'm not saying to turn the show into Wentworth, just make it that more realistic. They should make more use of the PG rating, just like shows such as Packed to the Rafters did.

It's had it's day. Time for something new.

Author: poprocktom from Australia
16 February 2015

This show has been around for years. It's been a success and now it's getting kinda boring. The acting isn't terrible but it isn't the best in the world. Most of the acting is good but some is just annoying and can make me cringe. The story lines used to be good, really good now it's just unrealistic, repetitive and just boring. Sure every season finale is packed with (unrealistic) drama which is worth a watch but most of the other story lines through the rest of the entire season is just annoying. It doesn't try and break the boundaries like it used to and it looks like the writers are trying too hard to be risky but end up failing. They have had only 1 storyline which I actually enjoyed back in 2012 (I think) where Rosie got raped. That felt realistic and was actually enjoyable. It wasn't filled with murders, gangs, annoying people complaining about minuscule problems or boring comical relief. Ever since then it has only had boring gangs, murder, violence, annoying love triangles and drug deals which were entertaining at first but it's filled with it now and it gets boring. I want to see story lines that teens face. They have teenage characters but only give them boring annoying primary school issues. By primary school I mean story lines that teens would just shrug off and kids in primary school would make a big deal out of. I want to see story lines such as Anorexia, homosexuality, peer pressure, child abuse, suicide, bullying/cyber bullying, self harm or teen pregnancies. I want to see that come into the show than maybe if give it another go.

Long term fan

Author: fitlife from Ireland
9 November 2005

I've not missed an episode since the show first started.... A long long time ago!! I can fill anyone in on any questions they may have about the show or story lines..I live in Ireland which means our show is several months behind, so I frequently take a sneaky peek onto the website to get a preview when the story lines are so exciting that I cant wait!! There are a lot of too-shocking story lines at the moment, very far fetched and a little unbelievable really, lots of kids wandering around summer bay with no parents and suddenly find new foster parents/school/friends, lots of secret adoptions, pregnancy's, seems a lot for a small town, but I've seen them all!!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]