IMDb > "Garfield and Friends" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Garfield and Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Garfield and Friends" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Out of the blue...

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
12 December 2003

Out of the blue this week I found an old tape of Garfield episodes I recorded back when the show played on Nickelodeon. I remembered how much I loved the show back in my childhood (I stopped watching around 12 or 13 due to school), and I watched it all the way through one night. Not only was I not disappointed after all these years, but in some episodes I laughed more than I did when I was a kid. Like The Simpsons and Ren and Stimpy, Garfield and Friends was a cartoon that could appeal to older kids and (some) adults due to its brand of cynicism and sarcasm, and still contained a wholesome, like-able quality for children of all ages. While I wasn't so much a fan of the US Acres shorts (though a few characters, like Sheldon and the duck with the inflatable tube, were always dependable), nearly every one of the old shorts I viewed on the tape were surprisingly good. I'm not too sure if the upcoming film adaptation will do justice to this or to the smart, original comics by Jim Davis, however this series proves that Garfield- brought to life by the recognizable voice of Lorenzo Music- was one of the more accessible cartoons of the late 80's and early to mid 90's. Grade: A

I Loved This Show!

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
30 August 2004

"Garfield and Friends" was a really good show. I started watching it Saturday mornings with my sister in 1990 when I was 3 years old. I loved it. My favorite character was Odie, he was so cute. My sister's favorite character was Garfield, he was funny and clever. I liked both the "Garfield" and "U.S. Acres" part of the show.

My favorite "Garfield" episodes were: "Good Cat, Bad Cat", " Garfield Goes Hawaiian", and "Ode to Odie". Those episodes were classics. My favorite "U.S. Acres" episode (I can't remember the title of it) was about one character following a rainbow which led to a game show with prizes. That episode was really funny.

I think everyone should watch this show because it is a classic. I give this show 9/10 stars.

Garfield and Friends RULES

Author: Terryfan from United States
7 April 2006

I always Garfield and Friends, it's just fun, funny, and always great entertainment.

No matter what Garfield did in the show whatever it was eating John's food or whatever, it was simply funny.

The show is an true classes.

The voice acting is great with a great group of voice acting.

The music is great too, the theme is so catching and I sing along with the song.

The cartoon artwork is great.

Garfield and Friends is without a doubt a great show and is one of my all-time favorites.

This show never fells to entertain.

Overall if you get a chance to buy the show on DVD, buy it because Garfield and Friends is one of the best cartoon shows ever! GARFIELD AND FRIENDS RULES!!!!

Garfield and his crazy adventures

Author: Jeff from USA
10 July 2005

This cartoon is one of my favorites. Not only because of the smart, hungry, talking cat but because of the wide array of secondary characters. I love the fact that it practically parallels the comic. I don't really know how Orson's Farm came about, but i really don't care because it is funny. The good thing about Garfield is that not only is it a great kids show because it ends with a moral or value being taught but it is also ideal for teens due to the fact that his comics are what we grew up with. I love Garfield because he is a teen icon. He eats when he wants, sleeps when he wants and if anybody gives him lip about it he'll let you know.

Fun and laughter for all ages!

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
10 November 2009

After the "Garfield" comic strip had been appearing in newspapers for ten years and several TV specials based on the strip had been made, Jim Davis' popular cartoon character finally got his own TV series, a Saturday morning cartoon. Unlike some of those cartoons, this one ran for many years. It was one of the shows I used to watch in my childhood, as I was a big Garfield fan at the time. Early in 2005, after I hadn't seen any episodes of the show for a long time and had since gone through adolescenthood, I purchased the Volume 2 DVD set, and really liked what I saw, making it clear that the show isn't strictly for kids. Since then, I've watched all the episodes on all five volumes of the DVD release, which hasn't changed my mind about the show.

Each episode is divided into three different segments (other than the quickies). The first and third segments always feature Garfield, the lazy, overweight, bitter, sarcastic, cynical feline from the strip. He lives in a suburban house with his owner, a dimwitted, clumsy cartoonist who is terrible with women, and a good-natured but not so bright dog named Odie. Garfield loves to eat, sleep, give Jon and Odie a hard time, watch TV, attack the mailman, etc. He has annoyances in his life, such as Odie licking him, Nermal, a kitten who is generally adored by people and gets on Garfield's nerves during his unexpected visits, and Binky the Clown, a goofy clown who appears on TV. Although Garfield is happy with his lazy lifestyle and doesn't like to leave the house much, he often finds himself on adventures, and it's often up to him to solve problems.

The second full segment of each episode is based on Jim Davis' short-lived, lesser known comic strip, "U.S. Acres" (a.k.a. "Orson's Farm"). This cartoon involves a group of anthropomorphic animals living on a farm together. The leader is a pig named Orson, a bibliophile who can get carried away with his imagination, but can also do some good with it. Other characters include: Roy Rooster, an obnoxious rooster who loves to play tricks on the other animals; Wade Duck, a cowardly duck who is afraid of just about everything and often runs in terror; Bo Sheep, a surfer dude sheep; Lanolin Sheep, Bo's loud-mouthed sister who loves to disagree with him; Booker, an adventurous chick who likes to try and catch worms, but they always outsmart him; and Sheldon, Booker's brother, who is still in his egg shell, with only his feet sticking out so he can walk. The farm often gets intruders, most notably the Weasel, who tries to steal the chickens and eat them, and Mort, Gort, and Wart, Orson's mean brothers (all bigger than him), who like to come to the farm to try and steal the vegetable harvest!

I don't recall seeing most of the episodes of this long-running show on TV during my childhood, but do remember some of the episodes I've recently revisited on DVD, and it seems they're mostly still entertaining. This includes the episode where Jon gets in trouble with the police for paying in cash instead of using a credit card, which I find funnier now than I used to! There are many episodes I didn't see as a kid which have cracked me up in recent years, with Garfield (often Jon and Odie as well) in some bizarre situations and meeting crazy characters, Jon pathetically trying to impress his date, among other things. Many fans clearly consider the "U.S. Acres/Orson's Farm" segments far inferior to the "Garfield" ones, but I disagree. I tend to find those very entertaining as well, with some of Orson's fantasies (sometimes a problem for the others on the farm), Roy's pranks, etc. My favourite character in these cartoons is the cowardly Wade Duck, who makes me laugh so hard, though the other characters can be really funny as well!

Sadly, Lorenzo Music, who gave Garfield his famous distinctive voice, passed away in 2001 from bone and lung cancer at age 64. Howard Morris, who provided the voice of Wade Duck (a voice which definitely fit the character), lived to be much older than Music, but died in 2005. I think this is a good time for me to say R.I.P. to both of them. Even though this show ended fifteen years ago, it's still memorable with a lot to like. Not all the episodes are that great (which is probably the case with any long-running show), and I don't find most of the things Garfield says at the end of the intro very funny, but overall, it's a great family cartoon show! It can obviously appeal to a lot of kids, and there are also things for adults to appreciate, including some clever satire that kids might not pick up. Forget the recent CGI Garfield, if you want good family entertainment for all ages, "Garfield and Friends" could be it!

Good show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
27 August 2008

I used to watch this show when I was a growing up. When I think about it, I remember it pretty well. If you ask me, it was a good show. However, the opening sequence and theme song are two things I remember very well. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

Great series from my childhood

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

This is such an underrated series. I know that many modern viewers dislike Garfield due the two horrible live-action movies that were made based on the character, but those movies didn't made any justice to the characters created by Jim Davis.

If you are looking for a good adaptation of the "Garfield" comic strip, then you should watch this cartoon, which not only captured the essence of the original comic strip, even improving it adding lots of satirical elements, the same that were present in many cartoons that came later, such as "The Simpsons" or "Family Guy": Even when this was a show for kids, it was brilliantly written, having many interesting criticism to modern society, cinema, television, and even some elements of meta-humor

"Garfield and Friends" was ahead of its time, being one of the best (and one of the most underrated, too) animated series ever made. Personally, I think that without this cartoons, we won't have many of those satirical cartoons aimed to adults. In many aspects, this series was much better than the comic strip in which it was inspired.

I Love This Show!!!!!!!!

Author: General_G from United States
13 September 2005

Man do I miss this show. One of the best cartoons ever made! I used to watch this when it was on the air and even after it went off I watched the re-runs until stupid UPN stop showing them in 1997! Great kids show. I actually like the show better then the Garfield comics. The thing that really the show kick off was that Lorenzo Music, aka Carlton the doorman on Rhoda, did the voice of Garfield! He is thee perfect person to do his voice. It was so upsetting when he died. He wasn't in The Garfield Movie and that made it suck not to mention they totally changed Jon in it. I always wanted Odie to talk. Garfield and Nermal can "talk" so why can't Odie? I also liked the barnyard animals. My favorite was Wade, so scared of everything. Poor duck. I wish this show never went off. Why did it? It was so successful. Bring it back! Come on Jim Davis! Bring back Garfield and Friends!

A kids' cartoon worth revisiting

Author: soymilk from East Anglia, UK
16 April 2005

At one point when I was very young, 'Garfield and Friends' was one of the after-school cartoons I always looked forward to being able to watch the most – every Thursday I would eagerly await getting home and tuning in to the sardonic ginger-tabby and his various musings on life. I LOVED the initial theme song, 'Friends are There' (in fact I can still remember how frustrated I was when they converted to the painfully catchy 'Get Ready to Party' opener – ugh!), and the escapades that the overweight kitty got himself into always held my interest from beginning to end. Even when production stopped and the show left the air, and when I grew up and lost my enthusiasm for after-school TV (though I'll always have a soft spot for cartoons deep down, and this show is one of the key reasons why), a whole load of the stories, the characters and of course the theme music stayed with me through the years. I was delighted, a couple of years or so ago, to find a satellite channel that broadcast repeats of 'Garfield and Friends', and decided to watch them chiefly for the childhood memories. It came as quite a pleasant surprise, therefore, to discover just how well 'Garfield' now stood up to even my cynical young adult mind. The writing here could be so smart and dry that I found myself smiling at lines which meant nothing to me at that age. Back then, I just loved it for the visual humour and the easy-to-follow narratives, but really there were so many layers to this show all along that I had to wait to be able to value.

There was one mild disappointment that I probably should try and get out of the way as quickly as possible, and that's that the lesser known Jim Davis cartoon that accompanied it, 'US Acres' (or, as it was titled here in the UK, 'Orson's Farm') proved exactly the opposite – that is, it doesn't impress me nearly as much now as it did when I was six or so. I feel like I'm echoing pretty much everyone else here in saying it – that they were good for non-discerning kids who wouldn't mind the preachy morals or grating musical numbers that turned up in *every single damn episode*. Older viewers, on the other hand, might want to use the 'US Acres' segments as time to step out into the kitchen and fix themselves a cup of coffee before the next 'Garfield' one starts. That in mind, the inspired opening credits sequence, in which Garfield battles it out with Orson and his farmyard cronies for screen dominance, just about manages to justify them.

Back to the truly great stuff – the 'Garfield' segments. There are so many glowing things to be said about those cartoons. Lorenzo Music's voice-work was fabulous. The anti-heroic characters were all wonderful, and so unlike any you could find in other kids' cartoons at the time – as well as our sarcastic, self-serving lead, we also had the hapless social misfit Jon Arbuckle, the mindless, relentlessly cheerful yellow canine Odie, and Nermal, a narcissistic little kitten who values his natural cuteness above everything else in life (and yes, he IS officially a male, no matter how feminine his voice-over sounded – that's something which always confused me as a kid). Another thing to be admired about 'Garfield' was just how brave and risk-taking it was for a cartoon that came after 'the Flinstones' but just before 'the Simpsons' – in between the great success that those two shows each enjoyed, animation had been widely regarded as exclusively juvenile stuff of no importance other than to keep the younger members of the family quiet for half an hour. Such disregard did little to dampen Garfield's attitude. His cartoons were willing to play around with the customs of the format, with its very post-modern self-referring humour (not to mention the fact that Garfield himself appeared to be fully aware that he was really a character in a cartoon show), and frequent stabs at experimental episodes – I'm thinking along the lines of the one where Garfield wakes up in the wrong cartoon, or those where he steps out of the context of his own cartoon and gives a lecture on what makes successful comedy, or whatnot. Most of it paid off really well.

And I just realised that I managed to get through most of this comment without reference to that live action movie with a CGI Garfield that 20th Century Fox churned out last year. Well, maybe one day when I'm feeling bored I'll finally give in, sit down and give it a chance, but I don't anticipate that it'll come anywhere close to the standards set by this TV show (for one thing I just can't picture Garfield without Lorenzo Music's vocals). This is, after all, one the finest pieces of animated TV that us kids of the late 80s/early 90s ever had the pleasure of growing up with. And it's not the sort of thing that can be easily repeated.

Grade: A (that's for Garfield, not Orson, mind)

The Best Cartoon of the Time from Jim Davis

Author: CSGarfield
23 February 2005

I definitely remember this cartoon as one of the bests out there along with the Pink Panther. I mean, who could forget those episodes? There was one where Garfield, Jon, and Odie go out to get a car from the high-bargaining, high-convincing salesman Mr. Swindler (It's getting tougher and tougher to make an honest dollar). There was also the one where Garfield wakes up on the wrong cartoon with a He-man/Transformers atmosphere (See them to find out what Gafield does). Otherwise, Garfield is just another world's laziest cat.

There's also the U.S. Acres (Orson's Farm) segments, based on another strip by Jim Davis preferably for young children (which explains why it aims toward a younger audience). They were great as well, and I liked all the characters (especially Bo and Roy). It was yet another masterpiece in there. And to conclude, there would be a Garfield Quickie based on the comic strips Jim Davis made. I also heard of hidden, or unsyndicated, episodes that never seemed to air on television (but they might appear on the videos/DVDs) All in all, this is most definitely the best cartoon show ever made! Unlike all that violent and vulgar cartoons they're crowding up with nowadays, especially anime, or Japanese animation shows

Still this is my favorite one of cartoons shows in all!!! See if you can find it!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]