IMDb > "China Beach" (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"China Beach"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"China Beach" More at IMDbPro »

The Best

Author: Cheddar from Pittsburgh, PA
1 March 2004

This was a very special show, one of television's finest moments. It saddens me that in an era of reality TV, we no longer have shows of integrity like this one. As with "Homicide: Life on the Streets," this show had more in common with film than it did with television. That may have been both shows' undoings, because plots require attention, etc. I'm puzzled that with "China Beach's" fan base that we haven't seen this show released on DVD. Emmy-winning performances, beautiful writing, and cinematography to match -- PLEASE GIVE US "CHINA BEACH" ON DVD!!! It would be an honor to add this one to my collection, and would give those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing it when it was new the chance to enjoy it.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Author: Yuval Mishory from Haifa, Israel
5 March 2001

Although I'm a 25 year old Israeli guy, born after the Vietnam war was over, and halfway around the world, this series touched me in a way most dramas didn't. Perhaps it was Dana Delaney's excellent dramatic acting, or the music, or any of the wonderful features of the talented crew that made this beautiful series possible, but I get the feeling that although I like new drama series like ER or The West Wing, I feel that John Wells has learned well, but not enough. China Beach had a certain something that other drama series did not. I'm no expert, so I can't put my finger on it, but whatever it was, I haven't seen it since, and I suspect I'll never see it again.

Excellent drama about Vietnam nurses, doctors, soldiers

Author: Flyer-6 from Nashville, TN
16 July 1999

This is the popular and much acclaimed "China Beach" TV series. Dana Delany has the role of her life playing Colleen McMurphy, a dedicated triage nurse in Vietnam. This is not a war action movie, but rather a drama about the lives of Vietnam soldiers and the nurses, Red Cross "Donut Dollies", and USO entertainers who are there for them. Dana Delaney is stunning in the role of McMurphy -- this alone would make this a classic. In addition, the deep respect and understanding shown for the Vietnam GI's sets this apart from most of the other Vietnam movies. This is a movie that people who weren't in Vietnam should watch to get a better appreciation for the men and women who served there. For those who were there, this movie is a token of respect and appreciation for your service.

One of the all time great series!

Author: Randal Greenwood (ksu72@pld.com) from Southwest Kansas
2 March 2004

I haven't seen the series since it first was on ABC. I tried to watch every week and was angry when they canceled it, because it was a great series.I recently purchased a copy of the pilot episode on VHS tape (China Beach)and once again was reminded how well the series was put together. Like many others I want to own all of the series on DVD and hope that chance will come. Dana Delany was outstanding in this role and touches the heart. Through her you see what it is like to see young men dying or dealing with terrible, life altering injuries and how hopeless she feels when she can not save them. Yet she knows the important part she plays to those dying boys as the voice and touch that represents the mothers, wives, lovers, and sisters of those who are dying far from home. They are not dying alone when she is there. Others in the cast are outstanding as well. The Gal that played Cherry the donut girl, and the back up singer turned lead, when the pretty one can't stay well enough to sing. She came to meet the boys-a-rama ,but soon was doing much more to touch the hearts of those at war. This is not a drama about the fighting in the field, but about the nurses and doctors in the field and the soldiers that go through their hospital. This is not Mash in Vietnam! This is a serious drama that will have you crying for all those dead and wounded soldiers wasted on battlefields around the other side of the world fighting an unpopular war. Each deals with the stress in their own way, but you can not watch this series without it touching you deeply and emotionally. If you lived during the Vietnam years then this will bring back the emotions of those times. If for no other reason this series should be put on DVD to honor the nurses, Doctors, entertainers, and donut girls that tried to bring a touch of home to the troops in Vietnam. To those who were wounded and survived and the many who did not this series should be available and remembered. Tour of Duty also should be on DVD and is excellent companion piece to show what the fighting grunts on the ground went through. Tour of duty is scheduled to be released on DVD this summer. Now Give us China Beach!

Thank You!

Author: jayaspinall (jayaspinall@home.com) from Colorado, USA
30 August 2001

I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to everyone associated with this series. I have seen it before, and watching it again on The History Channel reminds me how important it was. I am a 36 year old American Male. Without this show I never would have had the desire to learn about Vietnam. The show inspired me to take on a bit of effort and learn some things for myself. It is sad that a television show had to inspire me to learn about my country's history. That my own country didn't care enough to teach me. I am so thankful for that knowledge. That knowledge has allowed me to speak to my uncles, bosses and others about the war and to be able to relate in general. I learned a lot. The most important things I learned: living an honest life; being true to one self; never taking life for granted; never, ever holding a grudge, and most of all compassion. Simple things. Little things. But oh so important. These things are no longer generally taught and are seldom seen.

I have introduced the show to my 15 year old nephew and hope he too will see some of things in the show I did. I hope he is inspired.

Thanks again!

Possibly the best TV show of all time - Colleen, will you marry me?

Author: sauvage999 from United States
29 November 2005

I have been reliving "China Beach" the past year or so on cable TV, and I must say, the experience has been just as moving the second time around. I cannot speak of "China Beach" without using superlatives: 1) My all-time favorite TV show; 2) Easily the most underrated TV show ever; 3) The all-time best performance by an actress in TV history (Dana Delaney as Colleen); 4) The most nuanced, complex, intimate and believable development of a TV character in history (again, Dana as Colleen); 5) The three most loaded, gut-wrenching, revealing, and well-acted words ever uttered by a TV character {"Don't 'Colleen' me!" by you-know-who). Of course, there were many other great performances on the show, and the subject matter has never been so intimately portrayed. However, Dana's performance will haunt my soul forever.

One of the best shows created for TV

Author: from United States
27 September 2005

Dana Delaney's "McMurphy" (the principal character) is complex, captivating, beautiful and sexy. The entire cast is outstanding, right down to the extras. The scripts and story lines are gripping and move the viewer from one emotion to another, moment to moment. Issues great and small are addressed in each episode and characters are well-developed and allowed to grow and change throughout the series. One particularly outstanding and unique episode is built around interviews with nurses who actually served in Viet Nam, including the nurse who was the model for the McMurphy character. These interviews are coupled with scenes from the series that illustrate the interviews. It is one of my fondest hopes that the entire series will finally be released on DVD.

in need of series DVD

Author: kelly6247 from United States
19 August 2006

China Beach was a great show and I can't believe that the series has not been put on DVD. We can get so many shows that are mediocre with no problem. I hope the executives realize what a gem they have and release it for everyone to see.

I watched this show when I was in middle school and high school. I would love to be able to watch it again as an adult, and as a history teacher. I know that much of it is not realistic, but there is no denying the emotion. There were so many scenes that just pulled at your heart.

I hope soon we will be able to enjoy the entire series on DVD.

Dana Delany Shines

Author: Max Brand from Toronto Ontario
22 June 2003

The true star of China Beach goes out to Dana Delany who plays Nurse Colleen McMurphy on China Beach. She certainly played her role to a T which I'm sure certainly made her a star of what she is today. I had seen the Pilot series and one of my favorite scenes was when she was being a backup vocalist and everyone was cheering for her and she wasn't expecting that kind of reaction and you can see through her eyes that she was overwhelmed. In all of the episodes of China Beach this was my definate favorite episode which certainly set the stage for the TV Series which came out several months after the pilot. Dana is still a nice looking woman even though she's aged a bit she still is good looking.

One-Of-A-Kind Program; Regrets Missing the First Run

Author: Sundown305 from Louisiana Tech University
1 May 2001

I didn't pay attention to this show when it first ran on ABC (or its second run when it came on Lifetime), but when I learned that it was about the Vietnam Conflict, I tuned in to the 48-Hour Crash-Course Marathon on TV Land. I was so impressed by watching only a couple of episodes that I ran out and bought enough tapes to record all of 'em. Though TV Land only ran the first season, our local WB affiliate carried the remaining seasons, and I have all but seven episodes and the movie pilot...

Dana Delany was completely awesome in her role. Even in the less-critically acclaimed seasons (the ones that talked about the characters once they left Vietnam), she was into her role and made the viewers feel her emotions.

And goodness, the cameos! It seems like damn-near everyone from "Full Metal Jacket" made a cameo in this series! R. Lee Ermey and Dorian Harewood (GySgt Hartman and Eightball) come to mind. Vivica Fox, Judge Reinhold, Tim Ryan, Kim Wayans, and Kathy Bates also come to mind...

This show ruled! Still does! **** out of ****