IMDb > Who's That Girl (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Who's That Girl

Who's That Girl More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

I might be beaten for this...

Author: BHorrorWriter from Ohio, USA
1 October 2001

...But I like this movie....

Critics hate it...Fans hate it....I think even the cast of this movie probably hate themselves for being in it...But i can't help it...I find it to be silly, good humor that always makes me laugh...Madonna is showing us a different side of her, true this was 14 years ago..but still..she was very amusing to watch...

7 out of 10

underrated

Author: kcfl from Waltham, MA
23 February 2002

The critics pile on most post-"Desperately" Madonna comedies, but this was not at all bad. It's a latter-day "Bringing Up Baby," and it's no insult to the memory of Hawks, Grant and Hepburn to say this was almost as good. Not ringing praise, but I think fans of screwball owe it to themselves to see it. Madonna's Golden Globe for "Evita" and stunning film debut in "Susan" were no fluke; she is quite funny here. Griffin Dunne is a worthy foil, as she brings out his best performance. I defy non-Grinches not to laugh when she pulls a "Knock Knock" joke at a staid coop board meeting. See it.

Madonna's best film.

Author: ajpublic from Metro NY
26 November 2004

As most positive reviews have already stated – If your not a Madonna fan, you probably won't like this movie. However, as a Madonna fan, I saw this movie when it played on cable the first time, around 1988, I enjoyed this movie then and I still enjoy it now.

It's not deep or even based in reality but it is just very fun to watch. Madonna gives a great performance as Nikki Finn; she's funny, sexy and assertive. It's clear she carries the film; I've read other user's comparisons to Judy Holiday and Marilyn Monroe, and to me, that's not bad company to be associated with.

Her character is simply mesmerizing on screen, in late 80's fashion of course...I don't know about the rest of you, but I just enjoy seeing the Madonna we grew to love, before her exploitive stage, before she 'gave the farm away' so to speak, she was sexier then.

How about the soundtrack? Great especially the theme song… And Griffin Dunne is hilarious by the way. B+

All right, look. I know nobody likes it...

Author: sarcastababe (sarcastababe@yahoo.com)
18 January 2001

...but I am sorry. I dig this movie. I cannot help it. I admire Madonna greatly for her staying power; by some people's standards, Madonna has been around forever, and EVERYONE knows who she is. My take is this: kooky Nikki Finn dragging pathetically straightlaced Louden Trott all around the city on her own agenda, right after she's gotten out of the joint, is FUNNY. Is this movie immature? Yeah, sometimes. Is it predictable? Yeah, sometimes. Is it a fluffy little film that's regarded by some as a cheesy classic of the eighties? Yep. As Madonna said later, "Why don't you just deal with it?" :)

Better than most of the recent "comedies" that focus on "gross-out" humor.

Author: actiontalent from Tucson, Arizona
29 January 2002

Admittedly I was only 13 years old when I first saw this movie (in the theater), but it has always been one of my favorites.

The story line was held together with some of the best lines. (I still quote them today). Madonna gets slammed for so many reasons, this movie should not be one of them. She and Griffin Dunne made a fun, quirky couple. It did not pretend to be anything than what it was, and who can find fault with that?

This movie was part farce, part mystery (okay, not up to Agatha Christie standards) and part romantic comedy. It was no worse than most films that fall into the romantic comedy genre, if anything it is one of the better ones.

For those of you out there who hate Madonna, by all means avoid this film, why torture yourself? But for anyone who likes her, or just wants to see a light, fluffy story with some great music (let's hear it for Scritti Politti)then "Who's That Girl" is a fun, nostalgic trip that will have you laughing in no time.

Laugh at Buck, the delivery driver, or Griffin Dunne in that top hat and tails, and who could forget the bridesmaids, having been kidnapped and tied together, hitting on the cops? I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Madonna as herself

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
20 June 2004

The singer / icon known as Madonna in the 1980's was Nikki Finn. The outrageous and very funny little girl with a sketchy past could only be played Madonna. Who's that Girl is a romantic comedy about two completely different who end up falling in love under the most unusual circumstances. Although its not a great comedy, the story is genuine and the acting holds up. Surprisingly, Madonna does not use her sexuality as much as she has in the past and in future films. Her funniness and charm wins over the audience. Although she is very sexy, she does not use her eye candy to draw the audience. A coming of age drama in the sense that Madonna is growing up and trying to break away from her past. In the end, the movie showcases Madonna as an actress and not the singer. Not since Desperately Seeking Susan two years before, that a film took a chance to promote Madonna off the stage (music) and onto the big screen as a comedic actress.

Not as bad as its reputation

Author: Boyo-2
10 June 2002

I saw this movie the day it opened in NYC, at the Ziegfield. At the time Madonna was not quite the cultural icon she is now. She had a couple of hits, was very good in "Desparately Seeking Susan" and I had tickets to see her in concert at Giants Stadium.

"Who's That Girl?" gives Madonna an actual role to play, which is not just a variation of her own personality. She does the madcap/heroine routine better than you might think. Griffin Dunne is very well cast as the man around to witness all the shenanigans.

The story involves a huge cat named Murray, a bride-to-be who has slept with every cabbie in NYC, a mean father-in-law, and a key. There are a lot of car chases and cops trailing their path. All the elements of a screwball comedy intact.

Sir John Mills is seen briefly. He shares a glass of champagne with the leads and has the greatest apartment on the Upper West Side, complete with a rain forest and everything.

Compared to most Madonna movies (the ones I've been able to tolerate anyway), this is fantastic. On its own, its not that bad. 6/10.

PS The concert was lousy.

Who's That Girl: The Early Marxism of Madonna

Author: MeHead (pound@mehead.com) from Tulsa, OK
11 August 2000

Before she appeared in a series of Freudian dramas (Body of Evidence, Dangerous Game, Evita), Madonna experimented with juxtaposing the Nabokovian ideal of naive nymphette (see Desperately Seeking Susan) with that of unabashed working-class sexuality. What results is a masterpiece of subtle Neo-Marxist Feminism, culminated in the character of Nikki Fin. At the onset we're forced to inquire about Nikki's identity: Really, who is that girl? Is she dressing that way intentionally? Does her sartorial behavior undermine or fuel her existential yearnings? Disguised as a comedy, Who's That Girl toys with the notion that under certain social imperatives (read capitalism reeling from Reaganomics) women must find purpose by not simply exercising hostility on their male peers, but expect social gain and subordination from their attempts. Can I recommend Who's That Girl? Wholeheartedly, I can.

A great Madonna flick with good music, acting and directing

Author: pault73 from Orlando, Florida
2 November 2004

If you like Madonna or not, this movie is hilarious!! I am a Madonna fan and did see this in the theater at the time of its release. However, over time it has not lost its silliness and pure fun. Sure there are some bad lines & cheesy acting but the whole film is just a screwball comedy with Madonna actually carrying the whole film with great bombast. She is cute,funny, and is the only comedic role of her movie career. Madonna usually just plays 'herself' in roles but watching her as Nikki Finn in this film, she really seems like somebody else for once. Of course the film is directed by James Foley (who filmed the dramatic and haunting 'At Close Range' with Sean Penn & Christopher Walken) and co-stars Griffin dunn ('After Hours') who is also brilliantly cast and has fun with the material. The story is nothing genius and don't expect some climatic ending but if you are ever in the mood to watch a fun, clean, 80's romp or if you are a Madonna fan than this is a MUST SEE. The Soundtrack is also very notable and contains 4 Madonna songs: the #1 hit "Who's That Girl", the #2 hit "Causing A Commotion" and the beautiful and one of her best ever ballads "The Look of Love''(Top 10 Hit in the UK) and "Can't Stop" a left over pop ditty from the 'True BLue' sessions the year before. It is only on VHS but will soon be available on DVD.

"Good 80's Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
24 July 2012

Madonna, Griffin Dunne, Haviland Morris, John McMartin and John Mills star in this 1987 comedy. This begins in a New York prison where we meet convict, Nikki Finn (Madonna) who is being released after serving 4 years for murder. Soon, an up-town lawyer, Louden Trott (Dunne) is sent by his boss & soon to be father-in-law, Simon Worthington (McMartin) to pick her up and take her to the bus station where she will go home to Philadelphia. He soon finds himself falling for Nikki while trying to help her prove her innocence and learns that Simon is behind her set up. Mills plays wealthy animal collector, Montgomery Bell whom Louden delivers a cat, Murray to. I've always liked this film, Madonna and Griffin have good chemistry and I like the soundtrack. I recommend this good 80's comedy.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]