IMDb > Wall Street (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wall Street

Wall Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Conspicuous consumption....carpe diem....

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
23 September 2006

Poverty sucks....all the phrases we heard in the mid-80's to justify maxxing out our gold cards, working fifty or more hours a week, climbing the corporate ladder to get more, more, more. Have we learned anything? Charlie Sheen is excellent, and never looked better (at this point he was not as marred by his celebrity). While the young son is worried about Rolexes and how to make skim money from shareholders, Martin Sheen as his father at the airline, which will soon be decimated by Gordon Gekko (well portrayed by Douglas). The scene with his father in the elevator is brilliant; as Budd Fox (Charlie Sheen) is quoting Gekko's mantras, Martin Sheen replies: ..."I never judged a man by the size of his wallet"...; so sad and true. The two generations at odds about lifestyles and careers. Martin Sheen also quotes the Bible; regarding false prophets, he basically tells his son the same rape and pillage has gone on for centuries; very well-written.

Oliver Stone presents everything in a filtered, other-worldly haven; sushi; the ten million dollar NYC apartment (I have allowed for inflation), a beach house in the Hamptons, this is after all the American dream. We are supposed to cheat, steal, maim and kill to get it.

We see Gordon Gekko's wife (Sean Young) a nice ornamental symbol of his success. Even his child who is briefly seen, may as well be another consumer product (just like the robot toy he buys for his son). Darryl Hannah was a perfect choice as the unfazed one-dimensional decorator, hooking up with Sheen for awhile (until he loses his money that is).

The sets and characters are priceless, including the crude NY realtor salivating over her commission as Sheen picks out his first Upper East Side apartment. Look for John C. McGinley as a young arrogant trader (too funny) Hal Holbrook as the traditionalist. Terence Stamp is excellent as Sir Larry Wildman, who is a robber baron, but still has some conscience (as opposed to Gordon Gekko) Overall though, Charlie Sheen was never better; James Spader also has a brief cameo.

Everyone who missed the 80's should watch this film. For those of us who survived, we can breathe a sigh of relief, and those who think corporations will take care of them in ten years, will be in for a rude awakening. Hopefully Oliver Stone will soon do another film of the same nature, perhaps he could use Enron to tell the side of the story from a human perspective. 9/10.

Pretty good...but not perfect

Author: MrSharma from Australia
26 November 2005

"Wall Street", written and directed by multiple Oscar Winning director Oliver Stone, is a remarkable picture that captures the fundamental characteristics of many of Stone's films: greed, ambition, relationships and the seemingly inherent desire to make as much money as possible in the smallest time frame possible. And so emerges the story of Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen), an ambitious young executive working for a large stock-broking firm situated on Wall Street. With intense aspirations of being a Wall Street "player" like his personal hero Gordon Gekko (an unforgettable Michael Douglas), his pursuit of cash, women and expensive suits lead him to a moral dilemma between his father (Martin Sheen) and Gekko and ultimately to a confrontation of ethics within business and personal redemption.

From the amazing and unquestionably talented Oliver Stone, this film doesn't quite rank up amongst his greatest achievements (JFK, Born on the 4th of July, Platoon) but nonetheless provides a piece of entertainment that is by far greater than the majority of films that end up winding through the reels at your local theatres. Stone's ability to confront controversial issues is practically unparalleled in the generally "safe" and conservative industry of Hollywood, and this film is no exception. With its case study of corporate ethics, and its comments on the concept of insider trading within the American stock-broking community, this film is a success on the professional level of looking at business as well as the more personal elements, including the hard-line philosophies of Gordon Gekko and furthermore the nature of the ambition that eats away at Bud Fox.

The acting is excellent on the part of both Charlie and Martin Sheen as their respective roles as father and son, however the clear stand-out performance throughout the picture is clearly that of Michael Douglas in his brilliant, Oscar-winning portrayal of the ruthless Gordon Gekko. Daryl Hannah, however, remains a substantial dent to the film's overall credibility and poses a serious case of mis-casting on the part of Oliver Stone that is essentially unforgivable when watching Hannah's pathetic attempts at working alongside such greats as Martin Sheen and Michael Douglas. Her complete inability to illustrate even the most basic of emotions is ridiculous, and provides many cringe-worthy moments where you will invariably begin to question the integrity of Hollywood and its casting system.

The cinematography and the editing are indeed top notch, and Stone's direction is brilliant and true to itself as it always is.

Overall, an entertaining picture that is a must-see for any film-goer or indeed anybody interested in making (or losing) big bucks within the ruthless and cut-throat industry of big business. Considering Stone himself, you're pretty sure that the film is going to be good, yet this is unfortunately a little too thin within such a large and monumental context, that can't help but detract from the film. A good film though, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Another eighties film that encompasses everything the decade stood for

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
16 July 2005

Oliver Stone if nothing else is the most controversial director in history. He is not afraid to take on any subject, portray any opinion and in the process tends to bring out the best in great actors. Even when he does a really bad film (and there has been a few...Alexander for instance) he still manages to make it his own and never fears to state the controversial. Wall Street is the pinnacle of what the eighties was all about greed, success based on monetary value, the thin line between morality and the "bad guy," and all this takes place on the finance capital of the world...Wall Street.

Wall Street is the story of young up and coming stock broker Bud Fox. Born and raised to blue collar parents he is desperate to prove himself with monetary value and success. Unfortunately the financial world around him is cutthroat and the master of all this is a business billionaire named Gordon Gekko. Fox has spent months trying to get into Gekko's inner circle and broker for him. Finally Fox's father gives inadvertently gives him an inside tip on a very low level stock and Fox finds his opportunity to bring it to Gekko. He talks Gekko into it and it makes them a boatload of cash. Fox is now on the inside of Gekko's seedy world and he quickly realizes that Gekko didn't get rich by being on the up and up. Insider trading, theft, spying, it's all part of the game but it's making Fox very rich, gives him the woman of his dreams, and he seems to have everything he's ever wanted but it's slowly causing the people he cares about to be hurt by Gekko's strong handed business tactics. When Fox discovers Gekko has double crossed him and intends on shutting down his father's business Fox uses everything Gekko has taught him to turn the tables and get revenge even if it means losing everything.

Michael Douglas in his Academy Award winning role is cutthroat and not the bad guy per se but really makes you love him and hate him all at once. Charlie Sheen who was of course one of the golden boys of the eighties does a good job but I kept thinking that Tom Cruise would have perhaps done an even better job. Oliver Stone does an incredible job of making a very complex area seem easier to understand in layman's terms and perhaps the audience doesn't always know what's going on but you never lose the focus of the film. It's captivating and edgy and controversial and you keep waiting for all this stuff to catch up to Fox and even moreso to Gordon Gekko. Darryl Hannah in another common role when they were trying to make her famous but she's just kind of there and doesn't add much to the film. This is a very intelligent, and interesting film and thrives on the whole eighties decade. I suggest anyone wanting to enjoy a really high strung film about finance check this one out. Performances are amazing and the story is entertaining and intelligent. 8.5/10

Great Movie, from one on the "street."

Author: wallstreet13 (wallstreet13@yahoo.com) from Jinzhou, China
6 June 2003

I read a critic complaining about "too much techno babble" but any professional in the game loves it.

Naturally, the "greed is good" speech stands out above many great "Gekko" quotes. My favorite has to do with the "illusion of wealth."

The other great quote that comes to mind is when Martin Sheen tells his son to "go out and produce something instead of making money on people's buying and selling."

Of course, you then have the "abyss" speech "when you look into the abyss and nothing is staring back..." was great too.

"Congratulations buddy boy you just made things twice as tough as before," really hits home regarding the pressure to make quota.

"It's a dog with fleas." will live forever.

"Blue horseshoe loves it," is another quote that stands out.

The screenplay was written outstandingly well. I could tell how much money Bud Fox was making as he moves along.

And another stand out quote that art imitates life was the manager saying, "I always knew he was no good." The Street is full of two faced, backstabbing b*****ds that could give a rat's ass about integrity. Integrity to most of the street is being on the winning trade.

I loved Bud Fox's buddy boy with the Yankee helmet. I loved it when Bud balled him out to invoke the response, what an asshole.

I loved Bud's office complete with a window and plant. I loved the beginning of the movie with the computer agenda.

"The stock is 17 5/8ths and dropping. As your broker I advise you to take it."

Great movie. Love to see a sequel.

Based on the current rating, vastly underrated

Author: Potzdorf from Sacramento, California
14 March 2001

This only got a 7? I can't for the sake of me see why this should get no less than a 9 because this is Oliver Stone during his peak years (which sadly ended after the phenomenal JFK). Stone does an excellent job giving the audience a quick-n'-dirty overview of how wall street operates in simple, layman's terms. Charlie Sheen plays the novice yuppie very well, Terence Stamp gives an equally able performance, but the main star of this movie has to be Michael Douglas. This was the role he was born to play: the greedy, double crossing, self-centered Gordon Gekko who isn't afraid to overstep the Security and Exchange laws in order to buy his stocks with confidence. The movie also features excellent camera work, good pacing (it's never boring, despite what other reviewers would say), and a well done climax. Why only a 7 rating though? It perfectly summarizes the general attitudes of Reaganomics and 1980s investments. Although it too was a really good film, I'd still rather watch Wall Street over Platoon given the choice between the two.

Hard Hitting and Inspirational

Author: Lord M (marks_r@hotmail.com) from Berkshire England
15 October 1999

I totally adoire this movie, fabulous gritty no holds barred performance from the brilliant Mr Douglas, proving that sex is by no means the overwhelming theme of his movies as some seem to imagine.

I love the anxious, terrifyingly rapid advance given to the young Bud Fox from a chance comment in Gekkos daunting office, the instant changes of mood by Micheal swinging from interviewing to lambasting an industry peer on the phone and back to interviewing without a flicker.

Inspirational in the 'no fear' modus operandi of Gordon and then Bud, almost 'you can do anything if you dare' which has always given me a lift when I watch it.

Lush settings, and marvellous counterpointing performance of Terence Stamp, illustrating the 'Gekko' figure scenario in turn to Gordon nas Gordon had to Bud...

Await all Michaels movies with bated breath...Falling down....wonderful...but thats another story

Fairly forgettable story about greed and excess

Author: Magenta_Bob from Sweden
5 March 2011

In light of the recent economic crisis, Oliver Stone's 1987 classic Wall Street seems as relevant as ever. While it is not about economic matters in itself, it is easy to see how a market like the one depicted in the film, with people like the ones in the film, could spawn an economic breakdown. Unfortunately, apart from that, there is really nothing remarkable about Wall Street; we have seen the story of a man striving for power and success a million times, if not in this environment.

First of all, Stone's direction is nothing out of the ordinary. The music alternates between interesting song choices like the David Byrne songs and Fly Me to the Moon, and being mildly annoying. The visuals are far from impressive, even though there are some pretty pictures of New York to look at, and the way the camera becomes a bit unsteady when something particularly intense is going on is interesting until Stone takes it too far, like when he turns a scene between Charlie and Martin Sheen that could have been great into something resembling a tennis game. Furthermore, I feel like there is sometimes a fine line between making a film that describes a lack of taste, and simply making a tasteless film that indulge in excess. In other words, Wall Street has aged badly in some aspects.

That being said, the film does feature some highly memorable performances, Michael Douglas' deliciously sleazy Gordon Gekko being the highlight. The dialog might rely too heavily on one-liners, but in a way it makes sense that, in a film that is partly dealing with superficiality, half of all the lines in the film sound like an advertising slogan. And at least some of them are good slogans; surely it is hard not to be swayed when Douglas proclaims that "greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit".

Only usable Oliver Stone Film

Author: Johnny Wezel from Effretikon, Switzerland
7 March 2005

I admit it, I don't like Oliver Stone films, they are too awkward. Stone bashes his pathetic arguments into the audience until the dumbest dork must get it. It starts with the title. «Nixon», «JFK» or «Salvador» are so striking! «Wall Street» makes no difference. So my ratings for his cumbersome films normally range in the lower third.

«Wall Street», however, is saved by a brilliant Michael Douglas. As usual, he impersonates the evil so credible, it's fun to watch him. This is in my opinion the only Oliver Stone film, besides «Blue Steel» maybe, worth watching.

Douglas is best when he shows off the darkest sides in humans. I don't like him in comedies like «Romancing the Stone», because I favor his dark sense of humor.

Another story about rising fast and falling even faster.

Author: santiagocosme from Spain
7 December 2014

I have only just watched this movie today, which means my review comes around 30 years too late. The movie is OK, not great, but definitely watchable.

The plot is a little too predictable in my opinion. Maybe it wasn't 30 years ago. This is yet another story about how a young man is pretty much willing to sell his soul to make it to the top of the financial world: Wall Street. And he does so by joining forces with the most ruthless of investors: Michael Douglas. A man whose only pleasure comes from making money without any regards for anything or anyone.

The predictable twist comes when the two characters are about to close a multi billion airline deal. It they go ahead with their plan, great wealth awaits both of them, but the young broker's father and thousands of other co-workers lose their jobs in the process.

The young broker faces the ultimate dilemma: to become what he had always wished for or to save his father by relinquishing his dreams. But if he does the latter, he takes down his partner...

Not telling you the end, otherwise there's nothing left to watch.

I'll just finish by saying that its a good enough movie (and I am extremely fussy) to watch on a Sunday afternoon, while you check your whatsapp and your facebook feed.

Author: The-Eternity-of-Time
6 October 2014

A young and impatient stockbroker is willing to do anything to get to the top, including trading on illegal inside information taken through a ruthless and greedy corporate raider who takes the youth under his wing. Bud Fox played by Charlie Sheen, is a Wall Street stockbroker in early 1980's New York with a strong desire to get to the top. Working for his firm during the day, he spends his spare time working an on angle with the high-powered, extremely successful (but ruthless and greedy) broker Gordon Gekko played by Michael Douglas. Fox finally meets with Gekko, who takes the youth under his wing and explains his philosophy that "Greed is Good". Taking the advice and working closely with Gekko, Fox soon finds himself swept into a world of "yuppies", shady business deals, the "good life", fast money, and fast women; something which is at odds with his family including his estranged father and the blue-collared way Fox was brought up. Roger Ebert said: "all the financial wheeling and dealing to seem complicated and convincing, and yet always have it make sense. The movie can be followed by anybody, because the details of stock manipulation are all filtered through transparent layers of greed. Most of the time we know what's going on. All of the time, we know why". Wall Street is an intelligent film that exposes the world of greed, banking and corruption. Oliver Stone's satire-cum-documentary on the superficial world of Wall Street bank is among his best. It's a real 80's classic and one that lives up to its hype.