IMDb > Timestalkers (1987) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Timestalkers

Timestalkers (TV) More at IMDbPro »

More than just a hobby.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
12 May 2008

Time travelling with a gun slinging Klaus Kinski and western memorabilia nut William Devane? I won't have it any other way. "Timestalkers" is a playfully modest little made-for-TV production that's full of warmth and covers an interestingly ambitious concept.

The story follows Professor Scott McKenzie (William Devane), an old western memorabilia collector discovers in a photograph from 1866 a 20th century .357 Magnum revolver in the hands of a cowboy (Klaus Kinski). Scott soon starts questioning the possibility of time-travel and writes a paper on it. Then strangely a lady appears who claims that she believes him and he soon discovers that she's a time-traveller too. She wants him help her find out why this time-traveller has gone back to the old-west and eventually stop him from changing the face of history.

Early on the plot moves back and forth between the past and present. Some of the items that Devane's character looks at or purchases at an auction have a history that involves the magnum-toting gunman. Some foreseeable plot-holes creep in, but it's inventively told and works well with its collective gimmicks. The chintzy special effects create some charm, and so does the cheesy igniting sparks cutaways. The uncanny music is whimsically scored. There's a nice sense of humour in the script. Devane gives a winning performance and Kinski's glazed turn offers that venomously cold tinge. Lauren Hutton is fetchingly palatable. John Ratzenburger and Forest Tucker pop in with fun support parts. It looks cheap, but it's actually better than its limitations allow it to be. A smart, enjoyably harmless sci-fi yarn.

Great, Great Movie

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
8 December 2000

There's few time travel pictures that I don't pick apart with fourth dimensional reasoning and this is one of them. There's a very wonderful scene as the time traveling bad guy wants into an Army base, so he travels back to before it was built, crosses where the perimeter fence will be and then returns to the present on the other side of the fence ! William Devane does a great job as the writer who writes the book that causes time travel to be invented. When he discovers an old tin-type with a man holding a very modern-day gun, he steps into an adventure with Lauren Hutton that leads him into fulfilling his greatest wish to be a gunfighter. John Ratzenburger forgets Cliff on "Cheers" to play a very likeable Army Colonel and Forrest Tucker appears too in his very last movie role as an Old West Collector (Shades of "F-Troop," perhaps). This wonderful movie is great for the whole family as Hutton repays Devane's kindness with an act that probably eliminates the entire movie from even occurring.You have to see it to know what I mean.

Almost 20 years of searching...

Author: blais86 from Washington, United States
31 July 2006

I have been looking for this movie for almost 20 years, since I first viewed the movie & Finally! Here it is. It made such a huge impact on me that I never forgot it or stopped looking. Great actors, action & story plot. Time & time travel has always been a big part of my life & every movie pertaining to time-travel peaks my interest and gives me new ideas and ways of looking at thing & life around me. Does this really exist? Could this really happen? To go back and find out & be the only one who knows Leonardo De Vinci's true last name or to just know him personally would be awesome. Or to experience the old west to sit with the Indian's in peace. Thank you for a wonderful movie & even better actors to go with it.

Fantastic

Author: (goldfinger2a@ntlworld.com) from Yorkshire, England
15 June 2002

"Timestalkers" is without doubt the very best of all time travel films, it`s well acted, and directed, and it is not spoilt by OTT special effects.

Bill Devane is great in the lead role, and it`s nice to see Klaus Kinski in a more commercial type role.

The basic plot centres around an old trunk and it`s contents picked up at a car boot sale (garage sale in the US), a photo revels in the distance a man with a very modern gun, and so our journey starts, and it`s edge of the seat stuff all the way....

See it if you can. Score: 10/10

A Decent Time Travel Adventure

Author: tabuno from utah
25 January 2010

Though dated and low-budget with sometimes awful sixties electronic music that periodically resonates nicely and some questionable effort at time-travel special effects that are both different but sometimes tacky, this particular time travel movie has some pretty decent and intelligent storyline tidbits that most of this genre omit. In the beginning there is some nice time displacement English dialogue though it fades eventually during the movie (unlike the more previous comedy version - DEMOLITION MAN, 1993) and there is the relatively rare use of detective work that is fairly prominent in this movie a bit like though not as intense as the contemporary public television HISTORY DETECTIVES. As another post revealed there is a nice use of time travel within time travel to great effect by Klaus Kinski as well as the ending being a rather up to one's interpretation of how the movie really circles around or does it. Overall this is a relatively predictable but decently presented time travel scenario without particularly the overblown action. This is a more educated, though not totally believable low-budgeted time travel entertainment. 7/10.

*Guilty Pleasure* My Favorite Time Travel Flick

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
17 December 2013

I have scrupulously checked out all the net "lists" of time travel movies and I believe I have seen over 95% of all the listed films, which ain't bad. I have seen TIMESTALKERS twice, no mean feat considering how hard it is to find a copy. It is my favourite. Why? Well let's start with the weaknesses. It has a "made for TV" feel, clearly some budget limitations, no major stars aside from deVane, and relies on a heavy-handed plot device -- the near-magical appearance of a beautiful woman (Hutton) from, of all places, the future. (As if we don't enough beautiful woman in the past and present, and we need to borrow some more from the future...?) I have written a lot of reviews for IMDb and usually at this juncture I would usually be explaining how the producer should consider another career, or deVane's agent must have been desperate when he signed for this...? But, no. This is, oddly, my favourite time travel film and I will try to explain why. Leaving aside the production standards, leaving aside the aforementioned bizarre plot device, I was hooked by the core story of a man who loses his wife and tries to carry on, as best he can, without her. But never for one moment does he forget or ignore his loss. To keep busy, he even takes up a strange hobby -- practising his "fast draw" with an old replica western revolver. And there you have it. In spite of all the negatives, those two specific plot arcs, and the way the writer ultimately resolves them both, captured my fancy and moves this to the top of my list. Klaus Kinski was a strange casting choice. An actor who never, even once, managed to speak English without an accent, he wandered through the 70s and 80s basically playing bad guys. But again, this is not about Kinski. This is about the way the writer resolves this story and frankly it is the best resolution I have ever seen. No more spoilers. You are on your own, and best of luck to you, if you can find a copy!

A film to be remembered for the ages

Author: Joshua Wallington from United Kingdom
5 April 2010

I watch westerns on a weekly basis, and one day i was browsing through the internet looking at Sci-Fi westerns when i saw Timestalkers. I did some research to find that it is a rare film. Afterwords i bought it on VHS off eBay. When i watched this film i found it had a good storyline. William Devane plays to role of a man with an obsession for the old west. He finds and old photo from a trunk bought at auction, in the photo he sees a man holding a man holding a 1980 magnum. He encounters a lady from the future and they travel back to the old west. William Devane plays a great role in the film,and it is very well shot. This film is a rarity in the Sci-Fi western section, apart from Back To The Future 3 i have only seen this film as being great.It is worth watching alone or with the family, it will leave a fond memory to last forever burning in our hearts.

Clever time travel ...... a must see for Kinski fans ...................

Author: merklekranz from United States
12 August 2011

The fast moving and clever time travel plot is greatly enhanced by the presence of the duster clad Klaus Kinski. He has a lot of screen time, along with a fine performance by William Devane. After his wife and boy are killed in a car wreck, Devane purchases an old western trunk, which contains the intriguing 1886 photograph, that sets the story in motion. A chase ensues across 100 years to reverse history, and the tale never falters. One memorable scene involves Kinski entering a fence protected compound. The film holds interest throughout, and the ending is very satisfying. I bought "Timestalkers" because I am a big fan of both Klaus Kinski and William Devane. I was not disappointed. - MERK

Well Done and Fun To Watch.. Really Enjoyed it!

Author: lblanks from Fayetteville, GA
6 January 2003

I watched this for the first time last week on TV. Really a well done film with a real twist to the plot. Good action and interesting build up to the finale. I found it very entertaining... which is what I like in a film.

question

Author: rp_roger from United States
25 September 2017

So you have the ability to travel in time but you don't go back and stop your friends murder? He knew the General was going to be killed and he was his friend but he did nothing to stop it or go back in time to change it. What kind of friend was that? If he was a friend why did'nt he stop it? Or at least go back in time to stop it?