IMDb > Three for the Road (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Three for the Road More at IMDbPro »

Coulda Been A Contender

Author: cktail (cktail@aol.com) from United States
12 September 2006

I wrote this movie. It was my first major film, and I went to the set to visit while they were shooting it in Arkansas. Charlie Sheen, who had just starred in "Platoon" told me he loved the script, but what they were shooting was .. well, let's just say rewritten. I thought he was exaggerating, until I told my friends to meet me at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood for the opening weekend. 3000 seat theater - and only 8 people attended the 8 p.m. show. I hated it. I hated the reviews it got, it made me decide that if my movie was going to get screwed up, I was going to direct it, and at least I'd be responsible for it. So, for better or worse, that's what I've been doing since then. However, I have some nostalgia for this piece - its genesis was seeing Senator Moynihan's daughter dancing on a bar in Cambridge when I went to college. The original story was about a Senator's daughter who is ruining his re-election bid by staging protests. He decides to send her to a reform school and assigns his young up and coming assistant to do the job. His roommate is a stringer for a Washington rag, and he begs to come along. Along the way the daughter escapes multiple times, but mainly wants to find her mom - who abandoned her father. She thinks its because the mom agrees with her politics; I thought Dabney Coleman would have been the perfect Senator. It runs out her mom was just 'getting high' too much when she was in college, got pregnant and didn't want to have a family. Depressed with the truth, the daughter decides to shape up and take reform school in stride. By the end, she's transformed the Senator's assistant, who's fallen in love with her and won't let her compromise her principles. There's a twist at the end, but basically it was a rip off of my former boss Robert Towne's brilliant take on "The Last Detail." This was my "Last Detail." Sorry it's not better than it is, but now you know the truth. Rich Martini

My thoughts on this movie

Author: EloraDanu71 from Erie Pa
30 December 2001

I loved this movie..it's one of the funniest movies Charlie Sheen has ever done...I don't know about anyone else...but I laughed really hard. Especially the scene where he finally has had it with Kelli Green's characters shenanigans and handcuffs her to the back of the passenger seat. It kept me in stitches when it was supposed to be funny. It should be kept in mind that they were younger actors and for being that...they pulled it off. I don't know how anyone could get bored...but to each his own. I know I enjoyed it immensely.

road movie fun..

Author: triple8 from Conn
12 February 2004

I remember this movie fondly.A close friend of mine had begged me to see this so I did-it's not bad! Three for the road is actually very funny in parts and most people who like road movies will probebly like this. The humer is there and the cast creates lots of fun antics and cheeky dialogue. If I had one criticism it's that the ovie plays it to safe and doesn't really do anything unique-a couple of times it DID begin to drag. I wouldn't call this any great shakes in the comedy department but it's fun, a light breezy movie that's certainly not awful.

Cute, light 80's fun...

Author: turtleracer from United States
6 January 2005

I saw this movie when I was very young and I still love it just as much. A teenage girl's, (Kerri Green), father, who is also a senator, hires Charlie Sheen, (who brings along friend, Alan Ruck, for the ride), to drive her cross-country to be institutionalized for anger management issues. Much chaos ensues on the road! Touching at times, comical at others, I definitely encourage you to check this movie out, especially if you're a big fan of 80's films. Young Charlie Sheen and Alan Ruck's performances are quite enjoyable, as well as Kerri Green's. If you're a Charlie Sheen or Alan Ruck fan, then check this movie out! Great piece of 80's film nostalgia!

road movie fun

Author: mcfly-31 from anaheim, ca
4 October 2000

If you're looking for a simple road comedy, this should suit you pretty good. It doesn't lapse too much into road film cliches, aside from getting drunk in hotel rooms and hitching rides with wackos, it covers a little bit of new ground. Sheen is trying to kiss up to a senator, so he agrees to drive his wild-child daughter to a reform school a few states away. Of course, she rebels and takes off at any chance she can get, which is the difference from other road trip films. Green sets in motion most of the laughs when she bolts, causing Sheen and Ruck to chase after and end up having their mishaps. A good cast of veteran actors mix well together, with this an odd choice for Sheen after "Platoon", Ruck following up "Ferris..." and Tefkin nets some chuckles with her spunky southern belle. But unfortunately this is the last we saw of the cute Kerri Green. She had a good hot streak going with "Goonies", "Lucas" (which she ironically did with Sheen) and then this. For whatever reason she disappeared, as did most of the cast because even though this wasn't awful, it didn't make a dime and was mostly forgotten. Some may not be into some of the silliness that occurs (the reform school break was a little far fetched) but there may be enough going on to entertain some. A strange footnote is that the film never addresses that Sheen's 21-year-old character has the hots for Green's 16-year-old one. Can you say jailbait? Nonetheless the film is a pretty good adventure. Also ironic that 13 years after this, Ruck and Sheen will be reuniting on "Spin City" this fall. Strange how things work out sometimes.

It's soooooo eighties, but... I enjoyed it!

Author: kvr from Leuven, BE
23 June 2000

Maybe I'm just not used to teen comedies, especially those from the eighties. And 'Three for the Road' is one hell of an example.

I wanted to see it because I couldn't think of something better to do. I just had to find a way to spend my afternoon. The first twenty minutes were great, but then you've come to realise that the whole movie is about three people with only one destiny: to get the little freaky girl into the mental institution...

On this trip, a lot of crazy things happen. Robin Kitteredge (Kerri Green) is not fond of this idea, and she does absolutely EVERYTHING to avoid that she and the two men who are assigned the job of delivering her will arrive save and well at Ashcroft Institute. In the middle of this mess, TS (Alan Ruck) falls in love with Missy and Paul (Charlie Sheen) - of course - gets a serious crush on little nasty Robin. Happy end! (Or what did you expect?) My favorite part is where Paul and TS are running in the woods, wearing nothing but their underwear.

Nice, but forgettable film

Author: tex-42
21 July 2005

Charlie Sheen is a Senator's aide who is assigned to take the Senator's out-of-control, teenaged daughter (Green) to a reform school/institution located a few states away. He takes along his friend (Ruck) on what turns out to be a very long and somewhat boring ride to the school. The typical misadventures occur as Green occasionally escapes from the guys, only to be caught again. Also, non-surprisingly, Green and Sheen fall in love along the way as well. It later is revealed that Green keeps escaping in part because she wants to use the trip to school to meet her mother (Kellerman), who left her when she was only a child. While this movie is not awful, there really is no real reason to watch it. Further, the idea of Sheen's character, who is supposed to be in his early 20s, falling in love with Green, who is supposed to be 16, might make some viewers a little squeamish.

Ever been on a long road trip?

Author: culwin
6 January 1999

Boring, isn't it? Well this movie is no exception. Everyone does a good job, especially Kerri Green (as always), but the story just isn't really there. In fact the movie really isn't too bad before they get in a car. But seeing three people drive just isn't too exciting. Not that bad of a movie but try "Lucas" or "Breakfast Club" or "Goonies" instead.

So Bad It's Great!

Author: Rob Crespino (robc@exceedtech.net) from Macon, Mississippi
5 March 2004

I saw this film in 1987, or maybe it was 1988, and my friends and I laughed hysterically because this film is so awful! It's one of those movies that are so bad they are hilarious. Favorite line: Sally Kellerman telling her ex-husband, "You so much as breathe a word of this, and I'll have your d*** in a pencil sharpener!" I also found one scene to be disturbing...a black man who is hauling a load of live chickens stops to help, and ends up with his truck @ chickens tumbling down a steep hill. While the main characters speed off, this poor man has lost his truck and his chickens. The main characters then laugh. Alan Ruck ("Spin City") sarcastically declares that he feels sorry for "those chickens." This film is a disaster, directed by the brilliant B.W.L. Norton ("More American Graffiti," "Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend.") This movie seems to try to recapture the spirit of the Bob Hope-Bing Crosby "road" movies, but fails miserably. When this came out on video, I decided to watch it again, thinking that I might have missed something. I watched the video with my mom. My mom, approaching her sixties, said that this was the kind of movie kids used to watch back in the 40's and 50's. Enough said. NOTE: Alot of people are mistaken. This film was made and shelved BEFORE Charlie Sheen starred in Oliver Stone's "Platoon." It was only released after "Platoon" was a hit.