IMDb > 3 Men and a Baby (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
3 Men and a Baby

3 Men and a Baby More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Fun comedy about three confirmed bachelor dads

Author: roghache from Canada
20 April 2006

This is a really cute, light hearted comedy. The plot may be pretty unrealistic, the ending kooky & unbelievable, and don't get your morals from it, but all in's great fun to watch.

The story revolves around three carefree bachelors (Peter, Michael, and Jack) who share a New York City apartment. All are busy with their jobs, girlfriends, and social lives and have no intention of settling down anytime soon. While actor Jack is away shooting a movie, a baby is left outside their apartment door with a note indicating that this is Jack's child from an affair with his co star (though he's previously been unaware of this offspring's existence). His two room mates mistakenly believe that they are to deliver the baby to a couple of men who appear at the door asking for 'a package'. Right before they are about to hand the baby over, they realize these men are drug dealers. Then the bachelors have to contend with the baby's care as well as the drug dealers' demands for payment.

The three bachelors are played by famous name stars...Tom Sellick (Peter, the architect), Steve Guttenberg (Michael, the artist), and Ted Danson (Jack, the actor). Their considerable talents and playboyish charisma have a lot to do with this movie's success. The unlikely trio must learn to juggle the demands of baby care with their careers and social lives. It's really fun to watch them in all the stereotypical hilarious circumstances of diapering and baby tending. The men's paternal instincts come into play and the bachelors grow quite attached to the little tyke.

Directed by Leonard Nimoy (Spock, my favourite), this is a generally light, mindless, and entertaining movie that shows how these three 'hunks' & confirmed bachelors are won over by little baby Mary. Switch your brain into neutral and enjoy the ride.

Cute comedy

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
24 February 2001

"3 Men and a Baby" is a comedy that's cute and funny. Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, and Ted Danson star as three bachelors who live together, and who's lives are changed forever when on one particular day a baby infant is left on their doorstep. The three bachelors are now forced unexpectedly to become fathers to the baby. Plenty of wonderful comedy scenes throughout as the three stars go through the frustrations of having to deal with this infant girl in the early stages, then the baby eventually starts to win them over. If only the filmmakers threw out the subplot involving drugs, then this film would've been a great comedy.

*** (out of four)

Bad bad bad bad boys, make us feel so good.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
1 January 2010

Three bachelors have their lives flipped upside down when little baby Mary is left on their doorstep.

A remake of successful 1985 French film Three Men And A Cradle, this Hollywood version took the box office by storm to make a domestic profit of over $155,000,000. It's not hard to see why really. Yes it looks a touch twee now, and the irritating drug-smuggling sub-plot (also in the original) grows more tiresome with subsequent revisits. Yet it has a frothy cleanness so lacking in many more similar big budgeted movies that came after it. Starring Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg as the "no parenting skills" bachelors, Leonard Nimoy's film , (yes, Spock) sees quality interplay between the guys and some bona fide funny sequences as they in turn attempt to do right by Mary. Yep it's all telegraphed comedy, and the ending holds no surprises for anyone once Nancy Travis as Mary's mother comes back to claim the child. But come on folks, three beefy bachelors trying to change diapers and entertain a wailing baby has to be charming; surely? 7/10

Eighties classic still holds it's own

Author: Robert W. ( from Ontario, Canada
11 March 2013

Until last night if someone had asked me about Three Men and A Baby, I would have said...oh great movie, classic eighties I loved it! Well, it being one of my wife's all time favourites she insisted we watched it and now I'm convinced that it might have been the first time I've seen it all the way through. It is a fun, madcap adventure that's only problem is that with time it has become a little predictable. However, that doesn't make it any less fun and it certainly presents the best possible of "baby changing bachelor(s) life" and "inept new father's taking care of baby." Its not a new concept, we've seen it time and time again even on Television but this is still an 80's classic thanks to chemistry of the cast, a solid story and simple fun. Only an eighties movie could mix together the new father angle with drug dealers and a thriller type ending in a construction building. A great 80's film in my opinion encompasses and shows off everything we loved about the 80's and this film does that. Success, gluttony (but in a good way), free love, spirit, bright bold and sassy with a touch of gaudiness and you will see all of that in Three Men and a Baby. It also is unique in the fact that it really isn't a family film, it really was geared to adults making it a unique comedy in that way.

I could start with any of the main three guys but I will start with my favourite, the unbeatable Mr. Tom Selleck. He's handsome, he's suave, he's an incredibly versatile actor and he was at his prime in this film. His chemistry is palpable and you can see it at every turn. He is a scene stealer just by being Tom Selleck. You can't hardly make an adult 80's comedy without Steve Guttenberg. You can make fun of him, and you can point out he is always the same character but you can't deny he commands attention in 80's comedies. He has a down to earth style that you really like and he's good in this. I happen to think that he gets downplayed because of Selleck and Ted Danson but he is still a welcome member of the cast and has great comedic timing. Ted Danson basically plays Sam Malone in this film. He is absent for almost half the movie and his character has a much faster story than the other two guys but he is still a necessary part to the three men aspect. You can't deny the three of them have great chemistry and they all have at least one great scene between them that will make you laugh, smile or feel all warm and fuzzy. I can't say a lot for the supporting cast, they are all good but they do nothing more than support the three guys. Even our "villains" are mostly just run of the mill bad guys that don't really shine in their roles but they are completely adequate.

I was nearly bowled over when I saw Leonard Nimoy directed this film. I just had no idea that he did anything like this as a director. He does a very good job. He keeps the script simple and he lets his three stars do what they do best. All three of them were 80's TV and movie heavyweights so you just let them do what they do and it works. The movie is fun and light, cute and weepy at times but it just hits the right chords. No one will ever say its a brilliant feat of film making but the fun and entertainment factor is without a doubt high! If you love 80's then you have to see this of course, and moreso if you want a light fun comedy then look no further because this will fill the void!! 8/10

Not bad! Quite funny!

Author: ( from United States
31 October 2001

It turned out to be a good idea after all. I actually liked this movie since I have seen it years ago. I can't remember until now the appeal. It's actually cute and well-done without any real nonsense. It actually makes sense when you watch it. It is actually entertaining without overdoing it. It's a great family movie too. There are hilarious moments between the men and baby Mary. I only wished she had a better name than Mary. The cast is first rate with Tom Selleck, Ted Danson, and Steve Gutenberg as the three fathers and Nancy Travis as British Sylvia. I love seeing Celeste Holm playing grandmother to baby Mary even if it was for only a moment. They have quite a ball with baby Mary in their lives even though she was a surprise beyond belief. Baby Mary usually steals the scene because of her beauty. Babies are beautiful and fun but lots of work for one parent, much less two or three or four parents. I won't give away the ending but I think they should have filmed it in New York City rather in Toronto but that's just my opinion.

Spock makes a good movie

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
1 June 2002

Three men and a baby is a good example of a feel-good comedy/drama. The cast is big named with stars like Steve Guttenburg, Tom Selleck, and Ted Danson as three bachelors living in an apartment (with a ghost) who gets a baby at their doorstep. I think that that's pretty creative. Leonard Nimoy aka Spock directs this and it is good.

Overall the movie is a good feel-good comedy and I enjoyed it. Look for the boy in the window. the ghost. Rating 9 out of 10.

Easy watch

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
20 July 2016

THREE MEN AND A BABY is one of the big beasts of Hollywood cinema of the 1980s. It's a simple story, one that's well executed by Leonard Nimoy in one of his forays behind the camera, and truth be told there's little to dislike about it as a film. It's basically Steve Guttenberg, Ted Danson, and Tom Selleck in an apartment looking after a baby.

You can guess the easy, laid back nature of the film in this film and it really is an easy viewing experience. Even a mildly suspenseful crime style sub-plot added to the proceedings never endangers the characters much or adds much in the way of real danger to the story. The three main actors are all charismatic and you can easily see why women would fall in love with them, although it's worth noting that the baby is the real scene stealer here.

THREE MEN AND A BABY frequently threatens to veer into cheesy sentimentality, particularly at the climax, but that it never becomes too overwhelming is testament to its success as a film.

three stars with some charms

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 January 2016

Architect Peter Mitchell (Tom Selleck) has an ex in Rebecca (Margaret Colin). Michael Kellam (Steve Guttenberg) is a sensitive cartoonist. Jack Holden (Ted Danson) is a playboy actor. The three bachelors happily share a Manhattan penthouse with a long line of women coming in and out. Then somebody leaves a baby at their doorstep. A note indicates that Mary is the result of an union between Jack and Sylvia (Nancy Travis). Jack is away doing a TV movie. Peter and Michael are forced to deal with the baby. Jack has a package of drugs delivered to the apartment which is to be picked up by two men. Peter and Michael mistakenly assume the baby to be the package. Narcotics officer Sgt. Melkowitz (Philip Bosco) come to question the guys.

The combination of the three stars makes this work. Selleck is terrific. This has good comedy and some awkward stuff. I can do without the heroin. It takes the movie down a dark alley. The tone is completely wrong. I would have liked more with Rebecca and Sylvia doesn't need to be British. Overall, it's a mix bag with some laughs.

Decent enough

Author: SanteeFats from United States
27 June 2013

I watched this movie with high hopes based on the three stars. I mean Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg are all funny in their own right and I figured the three together would be really funny. I was a bit disappointed. I do figure it was the writing and the directing since I have seen all three guys perform a lot better. The whole premise that three roommates would date the same woman is not too far fetched for the 70's-80', what is a little hard to believe though is that all three "slept" with her with in enough of a time period so that any one of them could be the baby's father. I guess DNA matching was still not reliable when this movie was shot. All in all though it was fairly funny.

Three Old-Timers And An Average Comedy - 61%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
24 December 2009

Having reacquainted myself with this implausible Eighties classic this afternoon, there were a number of things that took me by surprise. The first surprise was the director, Leonard "Spock" Nimoy, who I imagine felt quite out of his depth when he directed something as polar opposite to "Star Trek" as this. The second was recalling a time when actors like Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg was seriously big-time stars. I also had no idea it was a remake of a French original, also making this the most successful US remake of a French film in history. The last thing that surprised me was given the high esteem this movie is held in was how largely forgettable, implausible and not especially entertaining the whole thing was. It has flashes of brilliance but sadly, these are all too infrequent.

Selleck, Danson and Guttenberg are three bachelors living the high life in a New York apartment. When actor Jack (Danson) flies off to Turkey for filming, artist Michael (Guttenberg) and architect Peter (Selleck) are left to hold the fort when, unexpectedly, a baby appears on their doorstep - apparently belonging to Jack. As their lives begin falling apart at the seams trying to care for little Mary, things take a turn for the ugly when hoodlums turn up to pick up another package of Jack's from Turkey - smuggled heroin.

The impression I got watching "Three Men And A Baby" was that it wasn't enough having the three leads fannying about Mary who cries, gurgles and coos about as often as possible. So the whole drug sub-plot was crudely shoved into place to give the film some momentum but by doing this, it nearly completely wrecked the film for me. None of it felt the slightest bit believable and aside from Selleck and Guttenberg, most of the characters were fairly unlikeable. As for those two, the only real difference between them is that Selleck is much hairier and that's it. Even Mary's mother (Nancy Travis) wasn't particularly sympathetic and to be frank, I wanted to give Social Services a call to come in and take poor Mary off the pair of them. However, this film is not a complete loss. There are some good bits in there (I quite enjoyed Selleck's scene in the supermarket trying to buy the right stuff) and Mary herself (played jointly by infant sisters Lisa & Michelle Blair) is very watchable, as most babies are. It's just a shame that it went off the rails in the middle because I didn't feel that the movie needed any further pushing towards its typically sugar-coated climax.

Assuming that you can stand the enormous retro-trip this movie puts you on, I'm struggling to see why new viewers should seek out "Three Men And A Baby". I suppose it's nice to see a baby-centred film that doesn't rely too much of comedic slapstick (I'm thinking primarily of "Baby's Day Out" here) but a bit more comedy and a little less drama might have helped its cause. Such as it is, this movie remains little more than a pleasant time-passer even if you can see what will happen come the end. Selleck, Danson and Guttenberg are perfectly competent actors who also possess decent comic timing but making movies such as this was never likely to launch any of them into the stratosphere and before long, two of them were heading into sitcoms while Guttenberg pretty much disappeared altogether. I wonder if the French original is any better...

Oh and merry Christmas everyone!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]