IMDb > Street Trash (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Street Trash

Street Trash More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A movie taken out of context...

Author: xtonybueno (xtonybueno@aol.com) from the ol' junkyard
17 May 2000

Yes, I actually thought this was better than some recent horror/comedies I've seen. Certainly superior to Urban Legend or Scream. I'm positively stunned by the fact that people would see the cover for this movie, read the title and synopsis, watch it, and then complain that this flick is offensive. For crying out loud, what do you expect from a film whose promotional literature shows a melted transient's head in a toilet bowl? Casablanca? Anyone dumb enough to see this movie and be taken aback by its admittedly sordid contents has exactly what they have coming to them.

Hypnotic! Dripping in class, and really very well done

Author: James Bourke (jamesbourke50@hotmail.com) from Scotland
14 December 2001

If you've ever seen the cover for this movie, either sitting on a shelf in some video store or found it hidden in the bargain bin underneath the likes of 'What Lies Beneath' or Titanic' and you've simply thought, no way will i ever let this gross looking booger grace my v.c.r, friends let me just say, you'll be missing out on the treat of a lifetime.

It's strange when you discover movies and to what degree they affect you, for me it was writing down every line of dialogue that i found amusing and memorable, and from the first scene to the last, every line is a gem, the camerawork is fluid and precise, who knew that years later the director James(Jim)Muro would later lend his steadicam talents to such high brow fare as Strange Days, Heat and even more so Point Break, will he ever consider taking another shot in the directors chair?

As for the acting, spot on, these guys were total unkowns to me, apart from R.L. Ryan who turned up in stuff like The Toxic Avenger and Eat and Run, but everyone involved infront of the camera as well as behind really took the bull by the proverbials, and this is the legacy that they have left us.

Also if you like me like watching out for Producer's or Directors turning up in they're own films, watch out for writer/producer Roy Frumkes as the poor unfortunate buisnessman who gets himself covered in Viper Gue and then proceeds to melt.

If you ever wanted to see a movie where the cop beats up on a susicious person and then proceeds to throw up on them, or a gang of junkyard bums playing catch with a severed penis, say no more, pay the money for the movie in that bargain bin, because a bargain you are going to get, in every sense of they way

So Wrong, it's Just Plain RIGHT

Author: RevRuin from Minneapolis, MN
17 May 2001

One day someone said, "I'd like to make a movie featuring a bottle of hooch that makes people melt into multi-colored ooze. I think I'll also add "sub-plots" about insane homeless vets, murder, necrophilia, gang-rape, castration, and police brutality. Oh, and it's a COMEDY."

Anyone who blasts the movie probably had no idea what they were getting into. Yeah, the story - if you want to call it that - is flimsy at best, but the film is punctuated by some inventive effects, some nice camera work, and a hysterical mostly-improvised Doorman character played by James Lorinz.

Summed up, if you like your movies dispicable, reprehensible, obnoxious, offensive, crude, and downright nasty, pick this one up. You won't be disappointed.

Oh boy...

Author: Mr Parker (spookyscribe@yahoo.com) from New York City
30 July 1999

I saw this one years ago. You want necrophilia, dismemberment, gang rape, needless brutality, over-the-top violence, all in one package? This movie has it all and then some. Watch for the scene where the hardass cop beats the living Christ out of someone, drags him into a bathroom and then proceeds to stick a finger down his throat, bringing up a splatter of puke on the creep's face that looks like Four Brother's Chunky Tomato Sauce with stringy cheese in it! Yummy yum yum! It's a sick movie and it's not great but it's the equivalent of... hell, I don't know. Watch it if you dare. Lastly, this movie has one of the funniest animal reaction shots I've ever seen, next to Anaconda's black panther (read my review for that stinker). Watch for the black cat on the fire escape. You'll know it when you see it! Rating: *** out of *****.

An outlandish, unapologetic delight.

Author: james_trevelyan from Sydney, Australia
24 November 2005

'Street Trash' the most offensive film ever made? Quite possibly. This baby is exceedingly hard to locate, which is unfortunate, because it is an outlandish, unapologetic delight with a wonderful streak of black, black humour. Director Jim Muro has since become one of the most respected Steadicam operators in the business, and has worked his magic upon some pretty big pictures. I believe he was the Steadicam operator on 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day', but I might be wrong.

When an enterprising liquor store owner in New York's Lower East Side(?) finds a dusty crate of something named Tenafly Viper stashed behind a brick wall in a back room of his place of business, he decides to sell it cheaply to the bums in the neighbourhood who are his chief customers. But Tenafly Viper is strong stuff indeed; strong enough to melt one's body! And you thought hangovers were bad.

Pretty soon, the homeless population around the liquor store is dwindling as more and more of these unfortunates consume this deadly drop and promptly disintegrate. The first bum to imbibe the killer stuff does so while seated upon a filthy lavatory. He melts into the commode, pulls the chain, and flushes himself away! Truly tasteless, n'est pas? Two more memorable scenes from 'Street Trash' come to mind: in one, a man has his penis bitten off; in the other, a man is spectacularly decapitated by a flying gas cylinder. I read in Fangoria(?) that this scene required eight special effects crew members to pump blood! 'Street Trash' reminds me of Peter Jackson's wonderful 'Bad Taste' which, while far superior to 'Street Trash', is in the same outrageous vein. I guess it might also be likened to 'The Incredible Melting Man', although the special effects makeup in that picture was provided by the legendary Rick Baker - his first film? - and so is much better than anything in 'Street Trash'.

'Street Trash' is an excellent title, because trash is what this film is all about. Its milieu is grimy and bleak, and everything about the whole affair is inherently unclean. Oh yeah, I just remembered another memorable scene: a cop fights a man in a men's room, and beats him to the ground. Then the cop sticks two digits down his own throat and vomits upon the prone man! Pretty sick (excuse the pun)! This film also makes me think of John Waters in its examination of white trash, something Waters did with films such as 'Desperate Living' and 'Pink Flamingoes'. Like those flicks, 'Street Trash' serves up plenty of gross-out gags so, if that is what floats your boat in a movie, then you will certainly enjoy this. I hope 'Street Trash' has a huge cult following, and I suspect it does. And deservedly so.

When oh when oh WHEN is the DVD Special Edition going to be released?! I for one await it with great anticipation. By the way, if you do find this film, do not miss the song which plays over the end credits - very funny stuff! The last time I watched 'Street Trash' I was laughing because one of the bums reminded me of Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes fame. Sorry, Mr Robinson... no offence intended!

Second Best Horror/Comedy film ever! (9.5 out of ten)

Author: jjjjjjjjjjjjj-4 from Santa Rosa CA
22 March 2006

During the late 80's I chanced to live in downtown San Francisco with more than 30 "alternative" theater screens within a 20 min. walk, including the theater in Nihomachi, where I saw (among many others) more than 25 Kurosawa films including DONZOKO, ie. Maxim Gorky's LOWER DEPTHS. Several years later when I moved away from such a bounty of film, I was left with only video rental stores (early 90's) where I discovered this film. If THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN is a remake of SEVEN SAMURAI with sixguns; STREET TRASH is indeed a remake of DONZOKO with melting winos.

The point is not the melting winos or the sixguns; the point is the underlying style & feel of the films, especially in the handling of the many characters in the ensembles. By no means do I suggest that the actors are of the quality of such like Toshiro Mifune or Minoru Chiaki. In fact the nominal lead actors in STREET TRASH are truly awful. It is the minor characters that bring the movie to life. Tony Darrow & Jim Lorinz demonstrate comic genius with their interludes, but they are essentially outsiders. Also fun is the coroner scene, with horseradish sauce.

The street trash themselves are what brings the movie to life. When I traveled to Japan in the early 80's I observed the Japanese version of street trash, still living completely invisibly while in plain sight in the middle of Yokohama & Tokyo. We in the U.S. see our street trash little better than they do. We notice them with distaste & fear or superior sympathy. By giving "character" to the despised ala Kurosawa, Jim Muro & Roy Frumkes bring dignity & depth to their subjects, despite the disgusting lives of many of them. And even as disgusting as the worst of the trash are; there are normal characters who are as bad or worse; like Frank, the owner of the junkyard where the action takes place (a wonderful turn by Troma vet Pat Ryan). Or the police.

Make no mistake, horrible actions do take place in this film. Gang rape & necrophilia are mentioned in many of the reviews here for good reason. Unlike nearly all mainstream and horror films violence is not stylized. The movie does not flinch from looking at the actuality of human behavior. The fights are incredibly realistic in both style & effect on the participants. In many scenes, the characters are speaking what they feel rather than what they are expected to say in that situation. Some people do behave like animals when placed in such situation. Worse, some like Bill the Cop & Bronson act like human beings.

I was especially impressed by the primal nature of the man to man relationships in this film. In the scene where Bill the Cop confronts Tony Darrow's character in his limo after beating the Hit-man to death & inducing emesis; you can smell the testosterone and hear the brain cells die. The seething frustration leads to his premature & hence fatal encounter with the ultimate Alpha ape, Bronson, an acting tour de force by Vic Noto worthy of Brando at his prime.

Most Horror films are fantastic (not in the sense of great). Despite the fantasy of its nominal main theme of melting winos, STREET TRASH is bound to the ugly reality of its characters.

The best horror films & stories always have much more to say than the fear or horror alone. Many help us face our own mortality & fears. Some are wonderful love stories like Peter Jackson's DEAD ALIVE, the only horror comedy I find superior to STREET TRASH. The love story here is, like THE LOWER DEPTHS, the love of breathing, the love of waking up alive, even if it's in a "merde"hole. Not melting down some damn toilet like Elvis.

The DVD has a couple of extra scenes added to the VHS release, but sadly no commentary.

Most Notorious Melt Movie Must Be Viewed By All

Author: galaxy2069 from United States
16 July 2002

Street Trash (1987) deserves 10+ stars for its movie poster art alone - a splashy and grossly exaggerated masterpiece of a poisoned wino melting and flushing himself down a crusty warehouse toilet. The movie itself is cheap, sleazy, vile, disgusting, florescent, stinky, slimy, perverse, insane, and retarded...which is why it must be viewed by everyone. You must watch this movie.

Street Trash personified the essence of crappy, late 80's horror slop, but also achieved legendary status within hip underground horror circles. What drew me to the movie were the colorful images of the make-up and special effects that gleamed from the pages of Fangoria and GoreZone Magazine. This is truly one-of-a-kind cinema and resides in the outer realms of art-house oddities/gore flicks. They certainly don't make 'em like this anymore!

Magnificent Trash!!!

Author: tordeforest from New York, NY
30 December 2002

Street Trash is a masterpiece of crap! If you are an aficionado of intentionally horrible garbage, you cannot do better than this. It's got everything you'll love - keep away with a guy's dick, corpse rape, melting bums, and more! And I've found that all guys love it, and all girls hate it. If you're a guy, what more could you ask for in an afternoon's entertainment with the guys? The next time your wife or girlfriend decides to attend a teddy bear convention or something like that, get a couple of suitcases, a boatload of nachos, and throw a Street Trash / Frankenhooker party for your friends. They'll love you for it!

Street Trash rules

Author: deaththrasherjohn from United States
3 October 2009

People today are just plain sick in the head. Street Trash rules. Pick this up at any cost. I met some of the cast when street trash came out at the best ever HORROR CONVENTION FANTACON and you couldn't meet cooler, nicer people. For today's standards of crap, stay clear of this great film. If you like remakes today (people can't think for themselves to make an original film)you probably won't like this great film. Yeah, GREAT FILM. I will not debate you on this film or force you to like it (like you do to people today). NOT FOR THE PC WIMP, that's for sure. I have an idea, drink some viper(JUST A LITTLE), that will calm down the wimps who talk crap about the things they say in STREET TRASH.

Trash heaven

Author: stepflan from Norway
10 March 2008

Street trash is the holy grail of trash and exploitation movies. Every scene in this movie is completely ridiculous. The director obviously doesn't want it to get boring for a single second. It contains some of the sickest and weirdest scenes I have seen. Most of the most memorable scenes are the melting scenes which has some great special effects. The gore is absolutely fantastic. My favorite scene in this is movie involves a castration and a sick idea for a sport. Another favorite is a hilarious shoplifting scene with amazingly randomness. To quote the tagline from "Tales That Witness Madness" (1973);" …your mind won't believe what your eyes see." The plot is very thin, but the characters and exploitation scenes are the main reasons why this movie works. The plot doesn't really matter that much. Just enjoy the wild ride of absurdity and exploitation.

The movie reminds me of such Troma films as "The toxic Avenger", "Class of Nuke'em high" and "Terror firmer". So if you enjoyed these titles, you will probably love Street trash.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]