IMDb > Stone Fox (1987) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Stone Fox (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Read the Book

Author: Ryan J. Gilmer (ryanjgilmer007@aol.com) from Plymouth, MN, USA
21 August 2001

All in all, Stone Fox (the movie) was different from what I expected.

There are way too many changes from the book for my taste. Mainly the differences are minor (the entry fee is $10 instead of $50, there are now 7 racers instead of 9, Willy starts as the middle racer instead of Stone Fox, the kids raise the money instead of Willy spending his savings, and now the prize money is only $150 instead of $500 (yet the video box still says $500, so this may be an error))

However, there are some major changes. First, Willy and Grandpa are now cattle ranchers instead of potato farmers. Second, Grandpa is broke from the harsh winter and not the tax collector. Third, the kids get extended time in the movie.

Basically, the movie changed the story from a "fairy tale" atmosphere about a boy, his love for his dog, the dog's heart and love of the family, the heirarch of the family (grandpa) and his illness, and the nice yet interesting townsfolk into a town affair, along with having a statement about the effect of paying or not paying taxes and are they even necessary. It is less plausable in effect and less heartwarming.

Yes, the book is based off of myth and only the ending is truely known to have happened, but why change the framework of an award winning book that while short (87 pages with pictures)is a much better storyline?

I guess they (the network) had to work that love angle in some how or they didn't want any political fallout on taxes?? (yeah right).

I gave this movie a 5 of 10. Those who have not read the book may rate it higher.

This movie is a good teaching tool just because it is so different from the book.

Author: jd1152 from United States
22 February 2014

As a fan of this book, I truly understand the feelings of the other raters. It is a wonderful, heartwarming book that my students love to read. One of the ways I try to teach my students that books usually are better than the movies that are made from them is by showing them the movie. They get very excited when they know they will also be watching the movie- anything that motivates them to read is terrific! Anyway, this movie/book serves as an excellent teaching tool because I have the students complete a Venn Diagram while they are watching, noting the ways they are alike and different. This is something they are required to do for the new CCSS. However we can interest this new generation of learners works for me!

What In The World Is This?

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
10 March 2010

I read this book many years ago and I really enjoyed it, but then our teacher decided to bring this movie in for us to watch, when it started, I knew that I was not going to like it because I noticed that their were some differences. But when the movie was over, I then said that I totally did not like this movie! This movie is not good, I thought that it was boring, and unexciting. I thought that the acting was kind of dull, Willie's Grandfather was decent, but the rest of the cast just wasn't any good. The screenwriter should have had lower pay I tell you. You can watch it if you please, but I totally do not recommend that you see it.

Thanks to the screenwriter for changing the plot of a very good book to something that is totally unrelated to the story. This movie had so many changes, I could hardly even tell that it was the book.

You can go ahead and watch this movie if you please, though I would really not highly recommend this movie to you.