IMDb > Star Tours (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Star Tours More at IMDbPro »

Superb, Often Underrated

Author: masterbrain_27 from earth
18 August 2004

In an effort to update their image, the Disney Theme Parks, with permission from George Lucas, produced the world's first motion simulator ride, Star Tours, which has been often copied, but never topped.

As opposed to a ride that goes somewhere or follows a track, Star Tours is a small theater that is bounced and jostled around in synch with a P.O.V. special effects film made by ILM where the craft flies through maintenance bays, meteors, and the famous death star trench. The effect is far more believable than it sounds.

The story is that guests are a commercial spaceport, boarding a flight to the moons of Endor, the que goes past several robots, including R2-D2 and C3-P0, repairing one of the shuttles.

The Shuttle is piloted by a first-time pilot robot, Rex who is physically there in front of the screen/window. The ship takes off to a rocky start, taking a wrong turn at the launch tunnels and flying through the maintenance bay, followed by light speed and a detour through a crystalline meteor shower. Then the craft stumbles into the middle of a battle between the Empire and the Rebellion, including Star Destroyers and the trench flight of the Death Star, then quickly returns home so the guests can be herded into the nearest souvenir shop to buy things.

Great Every Time!

Author: dmc102 from Belfast, Northern Ireland
18 February 2004

Star Tours (1987, D: Richard Edlund) A fantastic ride which seems to be just as good every time. The ride does age, as does everything and could do with an upgrade. The projection system for instance is currently a Laserdisc based unit through an LCD system. It needs to be upgraded! But the ride in itself is just as great as ever. The ride is placed in all Disneyland parks, you cannot go to any of them without going on this ride!

Maybe not the prettiest, but still popular...

Author: indiered from Orlando, Florida
26 June 2003

As someone who has worked at Star Tours for the last 4 years, I come to you with knowledge of this attraction. While the ride might not be the prettiest belle on the block, it still packs a punch. Yes, they need to update the hardware from a film projector to a digital DVD projector, yes, maybe the ride content is a little old, but it still draws one of the largest crowds at the Disney/MGM Studios. An average day at Star Tours sees around 18,000 people. that's the size of a small town! it's remarkable how much people still care to experience Star Tours after 12 years at the Studios and 16 years at Disneyland. I want to thank you all who make it possible for Star Tours for almost bring guests to the exotic forest moon of Endor each and every day!

One of Disneyland's Best

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
11 November 2002

I must say that I was a little surprised to find out that an amusment park ride was listed under IMDB. But, it does use film, so I guess. For those who have never expereinced Star Tours, you are missing out. This is one of the best rides at Disneyland park. Even though there is always a line, it is worth the wait.

Fun for anyone

Author: wdmrose from United States
13 January 2006

Though this is not the most thrilling ride (Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollar Coaster are much better for thrills)Star Tours is fun. It's a ride simulator, or something like that. It's mild thrill so everyone can enjoy it, even the little 4-year-olds. DON'T GET A FAST PASS! The attraction is just as enjoyable at the line as the actual ride. C-3PO and R2-D2 make a special appearance in the line, arguing as usual. Now the ride. You're a passenger on a StarSpeeder which is taking you to Endor. Your pilot, Rex, is a first-time pilot and messes up by taking the wrong turn. You fly through a hanger and, after much confusion, leave. You enter hyperspace, but fly past Endor. Great. You end up flying through a comet, breaking through ice. You exit the comet and what do know! Star Destroyers. You end up being a part of the battle that's going on between the Rebellion and the Empire. You go through the Death Star trench scene(except Luke is NOT blowing up the Death Star). You finally make it to a Star Tours station, but not without almost crashing. You then leave and get to a souvenirs shop. They have anything you can think of there. Now Star Tours is a little outdated. But it's still enjoyable. When I first went on it I was 8, hated Star Wars, and loved the ride. That's how fun it is. You don't have to be a fun of the saga to enjoy it. It's NOT something to pass by at Disney.

A Decent, if flawed ride

Author: pheonixgodhycatra from United States
31 March 2005

I am a longtime fan of Disneyland, and many of the rides that they have put there. This is one of my favorite rides, even though it is not in any sense a great ride, nor is it one of the better attractions that Lucas worked on with Disney, EO of course being his best. All and all this is a decent ride but as many star wars fans will know, there are some major flaws in this ride:

*SPOILER ALERT*

1. As this is taking place after the battle of Endor, how can there be another Death star that is completely built up like the first one, when the second one was no where near completion? 2. The X-wings you see in this attraction violate the laws of the Star Wars universe, because they launch to hyperspace in attack position

*END SPOILER*

The flaws aside though, this is a fun ride for the whole family that actually brings some characters from the movie in, though you wont see any Jedi battles, as this is a flight simulator which takes you on a rough space trip, to an explosive ending. The attraction is a decent, if not great ride, and even though the only character in ride you see is R2, you will still hear some memorable quotes, and see memorable faces during the preflight safety videos. Be sure to look for the hidden mickeys!

The coolest simulator ever!

Author: Star Wars Lover (ilovestarwars@ubbi.com.br) from Brazil
4 January 2005

What is the best feature at Disney MGM?Together with Indiana Jones is Star Tours, the great simulator of Star Wars. You are in a strange fusion of bus and spaceship.The cool thing is that the simulator is very realistic and loyal to Star Wars Saga, so you can sense a great speed when you enter Hyperspace or when you are evading laser shots at the Death Star. The "bus" is controlled by R2 and a droid called RX-1138, or just Rex, a troublesome droid who makes many mistakes during the film, like entering an ice asteroid. But afteralls, Star Tours is perfect, just like Star Wars!

10!

Fantastic

Author: RhysIfansFan from Austin, TX, USA
12 March 2004

I grew up near Disneyland and let me tell you, Star Tours is fantastic. What an adventure, from the moment you step into the building until the moment you leave. I am, of course, a Star Wars fan as well, and it really helped in feeding my "addiction," if you will. :D I think my favorite part of the thing was the little worker droid that talked to you while you waited. Oh, man: when I went to Disneyland one day when I was six, I wore my new Little Mermaid socks (SOCKS, people, yes) and this little droid commented on them. "Hey, I like your socks." Honest to GOD, I am serious. Someone must have been in a room off somewhere with a camera hooked up to the droid's eyes, but either way, it was the greatest thing any kid could go through, I just remember everyone smiling at me and laughing, and I felt like the coolest kid out there. Go on this ride, gosh darn it. :D You won't regret it!

Very Fun

Author: Charlespme
15 February 2004

Found at both Tommorow Land (Disneyland) and MGM Studios (Disney World). This is one of the best rides in Disney. No kidding. You start out in line. Do not get a fast-pass. In WORLD, you get to go through Droid rooms, and all that fun stuff. A singing droid. The skeleton of the first Audio-animatronic. Egroeg Sacul.You will not want to miss this. Then you get in your Star-speeder. That's right, the same technology used for the military. You start out in liftoff. Oops, your captain, Rex, went the wrong way. Then he takes you on a ride to the Emperial Ship. Uh-oh. Anyway, I highly recomend this ride. Keep a look out for the Mighty Microscope, THX-1138, and a certain tag on Rex. Adieu

The Best Ride at Disneyland!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
4 November 2002

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

Whenever I visit Disneyland, the very first ride I go on is this one! It is the coolest! The best ride in the whole park. I must ride it about five times. I never get tired of it! I love watching C-3PO and R2-D2 always repairing the Star Speeder 3000 while the screen advertises trips to Endor to visit Ewoks or a ski vacation on Hoth, or perhaps a wild adventure on Tatooine. It's so cool to see C-3PO and R2-D2 up close! You feel like those who have been in the movies. Then you board the ship. Your captain: RX Droid named Rex. The start of the flight is bumpy because he steers the ship right into the maintenence bay, then he zooms right past the Endor moon and right into a comet field. When that has passed, we run into the Empire! Then we help the rebellion blow the Death Star into oblivion then arrive safely at our destination.

Again, the coolest ride at Disneyland! I hope they never touch it to fit those prequels. It's fine the way it is! So in conclusion, if you haven't ridden this ride before then my God, ride it! Immediately! You will love it! I guarantee it!! You'll wanna go get in line again when the ride's over! We all know the lines at Disneyland are murder but there are plenty of cool things to see while waiting. So please, ride this ride ASAP! You won't regret it! And may the Force be with you!