IMDb > Spaceballs (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Yuks in "Space"...

Author: Mister-6 from United States
9 February 2000

Leave it to Mel Brooks; no one else could make a space movie with references to "The Wizard of Oz", "The Godfather", Mr. Coffee and flying Winnebagos.

"Spaceballs" is just about the best post-"History of the World Part I" film Mel has made and that's saying something, considering how many great jokes Mel and Company is able to pull off while within PG territory.

Easy enough to guess that this is Mel's take on "Star Wars", complete with his own versions of C-3P0 (Dot Matrix), Princess Leia (Princess Vespa), Chewbacca (Barf the Mawg) and a combination of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker (LoneStarr).

Oh, and let's not forget Dark Helmet! The very embodiment of evil (Mel Brooks-style) who not only wears a black cloak and headpiece but also a stylishly-wide black tie. And when he strikes...it's usually not above the belt.

The gags come fast and furious and, as is usually the case, all the regular faces show up (Graham, DeLuise, Van Patten) and Mel gives it all he's got. Lots of space sagas get equal ribbing (the "Star Wars" trilogy, "Alien", "Planet of the Apes") and there isn't a cliche that Mel fails to notice.

You can't blame Mel Brooks for thinking this genre needed a good skewering. He started it in "History of the World" with his "Jews in Space" coming attraction and continues it here. My only complaint: Mel, why did you have to wait so long??

Eight stars, plus a half star more for Pizza the Hutt; I loved it, especially when the pepperoni started running. Also for President Skroob's (Brooks') comment after being mis-transported ("Why didn't somebody tell me my a** was so big??").

Okay, nine stars. Mel Brooks strikes back!

Mel Brooks is a genius!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 November 2003

Spaceballs is one of my favorite comedies of all time, it's actually one of those few movies that I know every single line too. I know that seems a bit sad, but this film has so many memorable lines that it came so natural. I've watched this movie since I was a little girl and the strange thing is that every time I watch it, it just seems to get funnier and funnier. I don't understand how a person could not laugh with this film, it just has perfect humor that I'm sure could make the emotionally stunted person laugh. How could you not laugh at Rick Morannis as Lord Helmet? He was beyond a perfect choice for Helmet, he was the complete opposite of what Darth Vadar was, and he didn't have a problem making fun of himself. In fact, the whole cast looked like they had the ultimate blast making this film, everyone clicked so well. The story is one of Mel's finest parades, of course, this one is of Star Wars or pretty much any space film.

Lord Helmet and President Skroob wish to steal all of Planet Druidia's fresh air and transfer it onto their own, but they must get the combination to the air shield that is protecting it. King Roland's daughter, Princess Vespa, runs away from her wedding, since King Roland is the king of Druidia, Lord Helmet kidnaps her to get the combination. King Roland asks space rebel, Lone Starr and his faithful side kick Mog(half-man half-dog) Barf, to save the princess. But things quickly turn bad when Helmet does get the combination and now Lone Starr must use the "schwartz" and defeat Lord Helmet and Skroob before they suck all the air from Druidia.

Spaceballs is seriously just a great comedy, I guarantee you that you will have a good laugh by watching this film. Every scene is just so funny, my favorite is always the one with Lord Helmet playing with his dolls and Corinel Sanders walks in on him, you'll just have to see what I mean, but it's the funniest scene in my opinion. But there isn't one scene that isn't funny. If you are a fan of Mel Brooks, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't love this film, it's my second favorite just behind Young Frankenstein, but that was a tough choice. I highly recommend Spaceballs for anyone, please see this film, you won't regret it.

"Lord Dark Helmet! So we meet again for the first time for the last time!"

Author: DarthBill from United States
28 April 2004

Brisk parody of "Star Wars" and other great science fiction films pits Bill Pullman and his man-dog/dog-man partner John Candy against Rick Moranis and Mel Brooks as they try to rescue Princess Daphne Zuniga from the clutches of the evil Space-Balls.

The cast are clearly enjoying themselves and there's a gag almost every minute, mostly notably the Star Wars gags. Some of the best are -

1) Pizza the Hutt

2) The 'Alien' Diner scene with John Hurt ("Oh no... not again!")

3) Yogurt the Yoda clone (also Mel Brooks; "Please, I'm just plain Yogurt.")

4) Dot's "Virgin Alarm" ("Designed to go off before you do.")

5) A pot shot at "Lawrence of Arabia"

6) The 'combing the desert' sequence

7) Rick Moranis 'playing with his toys'

8) The Statue of Liberty Transformer

9) The Planet of the Apes sequence

10) The light saber schwartz duel

11) The guard instructing Bill Pullman on how to properly do the Vulcan nerve pinch.

12) Accidentally capturing the stunt doubles.

13) The quote unquote "sexual tension" between Bill and Daphne.

And many more. Keep an eye out for this one.

"Where're you from?" - Daphne Zuniga

"I don't know. Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy." - Bill Pullman

Of course it is my dear... I guarantee it!

Author: thrasyllus from Merlin's Cave, England
17 November 2005

A joyous, hilarious fairy-tale (which just happens to be set in a galaxy resembling one far, far away, a long time ago)! Many cheap, childish, utterly irresistible gags. Special effects of sufficient quality that they don't distract. Excellent ensemble acting with Rick Moranis a real highlight. And a space Winnebago...

One of Mr. Brooks's finest efforts! When the cod-seriousness of Episodes I, II and III gets too much for you, just imagine Mace Windu with his Schwartz tangled and pop this movie on.

Now, it's getting a bit stuffy in here so I'm off to inhale some delightful Perri-air.

Very funny "Star Wars" spoof

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
15 June 2000

"Spaceballs" is one of my favorite Mel Brooks comedies. Brooks has made some of the funniest movies of our time ("The Producers", "Brazing Saddles", "High Anxiety", etc.) and I think "Spaceballs" is up there in the same league. This film spoofs the "Star Wars" movies in general, but there's also references to "Star Trek", "Alien", and "Planet of the Apes" just to name a few. The actors are all very funny, with Brooks in two roles: President Skroob and Yogurt (his version of Yoda); the late John Candy as Barf the mawg (half man, half dog); Rick Moranis as the Darth Vader clone Dark Helmet; Bill Pullman as Lone Starr, the Luke Skywalker takeoff; Daphne Zuniga as Princess Vespa, similar to Princess Leia; and Dot Matrix, the robot with the voice of Joan Rivers who's obviously in the C-3P0 role. There's plenty of silly gags throughout "Spaceballs", and I laughed most of the time. Very funny, entertaining sci-fi comedy from one of the great comedic filmmakers of all time.

***1/2 (out of four)

Hilarious if you are in the right mood for it.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
29 October 2004

This movie can be absolutely hilarious, if you are in the right mood for it. If you didn't liked this movie, then you probably weren't in the right mood, because there is no way you can dislike and find this movie unfunny.

Most fun thing about the movie is Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet who is the complete opposite in every way of the ultimate bad guy from the entire universe; Darth Vader, especially in size. Like almost every other Mel Brook's movie this movie has some extreme hits and some extreme misses, by seriously it all is just a matter of taste. What might seem funny for some is unfunny to others and vice versa.

The acting is over the top and quite bad actually especially Bill Pullman and Daphne Zuniga. Thank goodness that the sidekicks are the better and funnier characters in this movie, characters with poetic names such as Barf, Colonel Sandurz, Major Asshole, Yogurt and Pizza the Hutt.

The movie suffers from some horrible eighties songs, the curse of almost every eighties movies these days, other than that, there isn't much negative to say about his movie even though it is far from Brook's best.

So Lone Star, I see your Schartz is as big as mine........

Author: Doug Galecawitz (dougg@evilnet.net) from Lisle, IL
28 April 1999

Spaceballs is one of the funniest movies ever. In the tradition of Airplane it spoofs nearly all modern SciFi including: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi, Alien, Star Trek, and Planet Of The Apes. Mel Brook's has had some funny movies but this takes the cake. Rick Moranis is inarguably his second best role after Strange Brew. John Candy has one of his better performances. Bill Pullman (a long way from Independence Day) is the central character Lone Star, a combination Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. Sight gags and classic memorable lines are present here from beginning to end. Just looking at Dark Helmet is enough to induce laughter. Spaceballs is a truly great film. Let's see how well you handle it!

A Groovy Film

Author: Elgroovio from Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
19 May 2004

This film is stupid, pointless and has got to be one of the best comedies in existence alongside "Monsters, inc.". If you're feeling low, this film will cheer you up unbelievably. "May the Schwartz be with you". It has an endless line of rib-cracking gags ("Let's jam the catapult" says a character at a certain stage in the film. they then toss a jar of jam at the catapult. Another great gag is when the bad guys are chasing after the good guys, instead of going at light speed they go at "ludicrous" speed. Every space film you could think of is spoofed in this film, from "Planet Of The Apes" to "Star Wars". There's even a spoof of "It Happened one Night" (the bride running away from the wedding). Whether the weather is cold or hot see this film, and remember, if the combination on your suitcase is 1,2,3,4 you had better change it. Enjoy!

Best SI-FI Comedy I have ever seen

Author: paulgalea from Australia
8 February 2005

Best SI-FI Comedy I have ever seen.

With Mell Brooks at the helm of this gem how could it go wrong .

i would like to see part 2 of space-balls taking the crap out of Starwars 1 2 and 3 that would be cool. I got the VHS a long time ago , and now have the DVD i have watched it at least 100 times . and still can watch it over and over again. Some Things i liked. "may the Schwartz be with you" "what the hell it worked on star-trek" "Pizza the hut" "I told you we should have put more then five bucks in" and the part where they have instant cassettes where the movie is out before its finished.

I req this movie for all ages . 10/10

Time for a nice, fun space-out!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
8 May 2006

It seemed obvious for a long time that someone would do a "Star Wars" spoof, and it seems that only Mel Brooks could do it. "Spaceballs" starts off by showing us a spaceship...for a very long time. Then, we learn that the planet Spaceballs has used up all its air. So, Pres. Skroob (Mel Brooks) has sent the ultra-evil, ultra-dork Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis) to kidnap Princess Vespa (Daphne Zuniga) from the planet Druidia to extort their air.

Fear not! There are two people who can save her: space-traveling everyman Lone Starr (Bill Pullman) and his half-dog, half-human friend Barf (John Candy, and the character is his own best friend!). And they do it by jamming Dark Helmet's radar...with real jam.

From there, the whole thing is typical Mel Brooks stuff, with a gag every minute and parts where they admit that they're in a movie. I think that my favorite part is when they watch "Spaceballs: The Movie" ("But we're barely halfway through making it!"). But the scene where John Hurt spoofs one of his most famous scenes is also something. A laugh riot from beginning to end. Also starring Dom DeLuise, Dick Van Patten, George Wyner, and the voice of Joan Rivers.

May the Schwartz be with us all!

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]