After squandering the fresh air in the distant planet Spaceball, the good-for-nothing President Skroob orders the arch-villain henchman, Dark Helmet, to abduct the adjacent planet Druidia's Princess Vespa to strong-arm her father, King Roland, to provide them with the code to the planet's atmosphere. Under those circumstances, the seasoned mercenary, Lone Starr, and his trusty half-human, half canine sidekick, Barf, will attempt to save the princess in distress, while at the same time, the ruthless loan shark, Pizza the Hut is after them. But in the end, only he who can harness the mystical and mighty force known only as "The Schwartz", will be able to save the day. Written by
In the space diner sequence, if you look closely you can see Millennium Falcon which is one of the spaceships seen parked outside the space diner. The Millennium Falcon is Han Solo's spaceship in the Star Wars films, which Spaceballs (1987) parodies. See more »
When Lone Star is carrying Vespa in the desert, her arm alternates between being around his neck and in her lap. See more »
"Lord Dark Helmet! So we meet again for the first time for the last time!"
Brisk parody of "Star Wars" and other great science fiction films pits Bill Pullman and his man-dog/dog-man partner John Candy against Rick Moranis and Mel Brooks as they try to rescue Princess Daphne Zuniga from the clutches of the evil Space-Balls.
The cast are clearly enjoying themselves and there's a gag almost every minute, mostly notably the Star Wars gags. Some of the best are -
1) Pizza the Hutt
2) The 'Alien' Diner scene with John Hurt ("Oh no... not again!")
3) Yogurt the Yoda clone (also Mel Brooks; "Please, I'm just plain Yogurt.")
4) Dot's "Virgin Alarm" ("Designed to go off before you do.")
5) A pot shot at "Lawrence of Arabia"
6) The 'combing the desert' sequence
7) Rick Moranis 'playing with his toys'
8) The Statue of Liberty Transformer
9) The Planet of the Apes sequence
10) The light saber schwartz duel
11) The guard instructing Bill Pullman on how to properly do the Vulcan nerve pinch.
12) Accidentally capturing the stunt doubles.
13) The quote unquote "sexual tension" between Bill and Daphne.
And many more. Keep an eye out for this one.
"Where're you from?" - Daphne Zuniga
"I don't know. Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy." - Bill Pullman
75 of 102 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this