IMDb > Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A Sentimental Favorite

Author: David H. Schleicher from New Jersey, USA
5 October 2003

I saw this movie when I was younger and for some reason it always stuck with me. I'll always remember the music (the title song as well as the classical pieces used throughout), the vestibule of Mimi Roger's apartment palace, the scene of Tom Berenger having breakfast with his family, Lorraine Bracco's fiery performance as his wife, and the haunting opening aerial shots of NYC lit up at night. I watched it again for the first time in probably nine or ten years and it was like visiting with an old friend or curling up with a good book you had read before. You knew the story, but it was all fascinatingly interesting. The plot here is pretty basic: working class cop has to babysit upper class babe who witnesses heinous murder. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how it all ends, but director Ridley Scott somehow manages to keep it compelling thanks to some great direction and wonderful performances from the cast. Somewhere I saw this billed as an erotic thriller, which is way off base. Scott keeps everything here extremely classy. It's more of a romantic thriller and throwback to the noir films of the 1940's. This may not be the best film you'll ever see, but it's one of the better thrillers of the 1980's, and a worthy testament to Ridley Scott's versatility as a director. It's also nice to see Jerry Orbach in a supporting role that probably paved the way for his part in the never ending "Law and Order" TV series.

average, but somehow very attractive

Author: 038onits ( from Nara, Japan
24 April 2002

This has been one of my favorite movies. I admit that this is not something that might be recognized by academy people. There is nothing new and original about the story and situation and it is rather easy to guess what would happen next. But somehow it is an attractive movie (to me?) and I keep watching it over and over (I have a video). Actors are good and the view of New York is wonderful in every part of the movie. Most of all music is superb! Ever since I first saw this movie, "Someone to watch over me" has been my favorite jazz standard. One more thing. If somebody else directed this it might have been VERY boring. Great touch by Ridley Scott.

Underrated Masterpiece

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
26 May 2005

In Queens, Mike Keegan (Tom Berenger) is celebrating with his wife Ellie (Lorraine Bracco), his son Tommy and friends his recent promotion to detective in a precinct in Manhattan. Meanwhile, in a fancy club, the socialite Claire Gregory (Mimi Rogers) witnesses the murder of the owner of the place by the powerful mobster Joey Venza (Andreas Katsulas). Mike is assigned to protect her in the night shift in her apartment in Manhattan. When Venza threatens Claire, the contact of Mike with Claire gets closer and conflicts him, dividing between the love for his family and the heat passion for Claire and the fascination for her world.

Today I have just watched "Someone to Watch Over Me" maybe for the sixth or seventh time, and every time I see this movie, I conclude that it is an underrated stylish masterpiece. Everything works perfectly in this film. The story may be not original, the conclusion is quite moralist, but there is an important and unusual approach regarding the difference of classes and consequently of worlds, which is the basis for the conflictive romance between Claire and Mike. The direction of Ridley Scott is tight and perfect, as usual, using different angles camera and magnificent photography and shadows in the night, to express the differences between the two worlds. There is one specific scene that I love, when Mike is sat with his face half illuminated in the hall of Claire's apartment, totally confused and with his feelings divided. The cast is very inspired, and in my opinion, this is the best role of Mimi Rogers, amazingly perfect as an elegant, wealthy and needy of love woman and wearing a beautiful hair style. Tom Berenger is outstanding as Mike, and Lorraine Bracco is also fantastic in the role of a simple woman and wounded wife. The music score is awesome, highlighting the three versions of the song of George and Ira Gershwin, which gives the title of the film, specially the last one with the interpretation of Roberta Flack. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Perigo na Noite" ("Danger in the Night")

Tuant romantic thriller - equally stylistic and atmospheric

Author: robb_772 from United States
4 May 2006

A highly stylized crime thriller that also manages to work as a tale of adulterous romance in addition to an effective parable of the culture clashes that are apparent between the upper and lower classes. This is a film with multiple agendas, and Ridley Scott, best known at the time for 1979's ALIEN and 1982's BLADE RUNNER, is frankly an odd choice to direct such a picture. However, Scott proves himself to be up to the challenge, and film plays like a slightly abstract dream that isn't afraid to crash down into gritty realism on occasion. With his film noir skills perfected with BLADE RUNNER, Scott turns the focus from the future to an equally idealized version of the present (well, 1987 to be exact), but he maintains the same sense of visual menace and harsh industrialism.

Tom Berenger has received a considerable amount of criticism for the irritating fake Brooklyn accent he delivers his lines in, but I overall I found him to be quite acceptable in the role. Even better is Mimi Rogers, who convincingly portrays the detached loneliness of the high society lifestyle without the benefit of screen dialogue that permits her to openly address such an issue. Jerry Orbach and John Rubinstein are also memorable supporting parts, but it is Lorraine Bracco who steals the picture as Berenger's feisty wife. Long before she was best known as Tony Soprano's psychiatrist, Bracco brought to the screen the ultimate portrayal of the modern wife and mother - loving but fierce, tough but compassionate, and not afraid to slap some sense into the man who has done her wrong.

And I love Sting's opening rendition of the title Gershwin classic.

Fine acting

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
12 January 2003

As other reviewers have noted, the story is none too special, quite generic. But even a generic story can be made memorable by good writing, good acting, and good directing; this movie has all three of those. Tom Berenger as the somewhat naive and vulnerable work-class junior detective. Mimi Rogers (who I did not even recognize initially, with the 80's hairstyle), as the upper-class murder witness. And even the supporting cast were all great. Nobody overacted, and no cliches. I credit the director, Ridley Scott, for keeping it low-key and believable.

Routine, but actually quite good

Author: walterlv from Las Vegas, USA
26 April 2004

We've seen the script a hundred times if we've seen it once; happily married cop assigned to stand guard over a beautiful woman, cop falls in love with woman, etc. The difference with this one is that it actually works, even though you know how the story is going to go. Berenger is solid in the lead and Bracco fantastic as the fiery wife, while Rogers is sultry in a very classy way as the other woman. Andreas Katsulas is menacing and scary as Venza, which was perfect for this part. The classical music scores add a perfect touch, and the ending is actually quite thrilling. Something about this one just clicks, making it one of the better films of the genre. 7.5 out of 10.

Solid NYC Police Thriller

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
18 November 2003

Solid thriller about a NYC detective protecting a rich socialite from the killer that she saw in the commission of a murder. Tom Berenger, Mike Keegan, is great as a NYC cop, sporting a very good New York City working-class class accent, being assigned on his first case as a NYC detective to keep eye-witness Mimi Rogers, Claire Gregory, alive and well to identify the murderer Andreas Katsulas, Joey Venza, of a nightclub owner Mark Moses, Win Hockings, who was a good friend of hers.

Det. Keegan falls in love with the beautiful, which is obvious to everyone watching the movie, Miss.Gregory which ends up almost wrecking his marriage as well as his job to no fault of his own under the circumstances that he was put in, the guy's only human!

With Mimi Rogers giving one of her best performances as a woman who's life is turned upside down by what she saw. And Andreas Katsulas is terrifyingly effective as the psycho killer who's out to stop Miss.Gregory from talking to the police. Very good interacting between Tom Berenger and his wife in the movie Ellie, Lorraine Bracco, on how the rigors of Det.Keegan being a cop in a big city can create havoc for his family as well as his professional life with a frightening and suspenseful ending that strikes home in more ways then one.

"Someone to watch over me" has a good story and great acting all around with Lorraine Bracco a real stand out in one of the best police thrillers of the 1980's.

I'll 'watch' it again

Author: Dianna Trent from NJ
9 March 2002

Brooklyn detective (Berenger) gets promoted & has new assignment - Keep watch over rich & sultry Manhattanite Claire Gregory (Mimi Rogers) becuz she witnessed a murder. NEVER pair up 2 good-looking people for night time (or daytime) close association no matter HOW solid one's marriage is!! And why not? Becuz THIS could happen!

'Watch' this film & find out.

Berenger looks fit & handsome as usual, especially back in the '80's. Rogers should have gotten a better hairdo. Larrainne Bracco, a NY favorite of mine, is just great in this role. Jerry Orbach, Berenger's superior is another NY favorite of mine. Tony DiBenedetto (the big burly limo driver from My Favorite Year) was also 'on the watch' & played Berenger's best friend. The most annoying thing about this film is the slow awful tune sung by Sting here! When the credits role in the beginning, we're shown The Big Bad Apple in all it's glory, lit up in the dark like nobody's business! But that song makes you just want to fast-forward!! Arrrgh!! Then he sings it again at the end!! Arrrgh!!

So powerful yet so underrated

Author: ronah from United Kingdom
21 October 2008

How has Tom Berenger slipped out of the view of Hollywood? This man is a real talent, who conveys the confusion and pathos of an untenable situation with passion, conviction and realism.

Scott makes the tension palpable, and the supporting cast is so well rounded that IMHO it makes one of the best ever cinematic experiences. Mimi Rogers puts in a credible performance as a tortured socialite and the thrill of the chase makes for some startling and real scenes which keep you on the edge of your seat. If you want great entertainment without the hugest cerebral challenge (!) this is a fab way to spend an evening.

Stylish drama/thriller

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
4 September 2006

Brooklyn Detective Tom Berenger is assigned to watch over socialite Mimi Rogers after she witnesses a brutal murder where a high profile Mafioso is involved. Berenger gets caught between two worlds; the upper class one he takes a liking to and the normal one (with a wife and kid) in the slums of Queens which he seems to be tiring of.

Highly stylish drama/thriller courtesy of Ridley Scott, who directs with his usual visual flair and examines the world of the wealthy seen through the eyes of a middle class voyeur and mixes in some solid suspense to boot. The drama aspect is well handled, pitting Berenger in a dire situation where he must ultimately choose between a life he's already made for himself and a life that can seem very tempting from his perspective.

Suspense is also plenty with some fantastic sequences, particularly one inside Mimi Rogers' apartment, not too unlike Dario Argento's Opera in some respects (and even beat it by a year, I think).

Tom Berenger does well in the lead, displaying easily the conflicts his character is facing, Rogers is a stunner and gives a subdued and convincing performance. The usually intolerable Lorraine Bracco gives a forceful performance, and one the whole her relationship with Berenger is not only well played out but wholly believable.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]