IMDb > Slaughterhouse (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Slaughterhouse More at IMDbPro »

Piggy-style!!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
9 September 2004

This little piece of junk is so much fun, you can't imagine !! Very violent, grim and demented…but covered with black humor and cheerfully twisted characters. 'Slaughterhouse' is set in a quite little American town (of course) called Lakeside. A large chain of abattoirs makes it impossible for modest slaughterhouses to survive. The old butcher Lester Bacon is declared bankrupt and along with his seriously retarded son Buddy, he plans vengeance to all parties involved. 'Slaughterhouse' is very amusing, just because it's so light-headed! This Buddy-character is really great! A big, brainless fatso who can't talk but grunts all the time due to spending his entire youth between pigs. He carries a giant axe throughout the whole movie and butchers people without thinking! Lovely!! Clearly inspired by the notorious Texas Chainsaw Massacre, this Rick Roessler one-man-showed is one of the better slashers produced in the 80's. Best sequence is probably when Buddy joyrides with the car of the deputy and chases his mistress like the lunatic he is! Love this crap!!

Don Barrett IS Acting Royalty!

Author: horror7777 from New York
26 August 2001

Don Barrett is certainly one of the funniest actors in history. Just about every word that comes out of this man's mouth is a perverse joke. As for the plot, it was a typical slasher that had pretty good acting, great music, and a sadistic killer in Buddy. The opening credits scene was absolutely beautiful. It'll probably reassure all the vegans out there that they're doing the right thing, though it didn't bother me one bit. ***1/2out of****This film has to be one of my personal favorites and is worth a couple of looks. It certainly deserved the DVD treatment that it got.

a few killings and a lot of blah blah

Author: trashgang from Midian
12 March 2012

This was directed by Rick Roessler, his one and only attempt to make a flick. Made in 1987 it surely looks like it was made earlier. It even looked like a drive-in flick.

The acting was okay, no big names here. Joe B. Barton (Buddy) was also seen in Blood Diner made in the same year. Don Barret (Lester) was seen in two more flicks. maybe the one who made it was Sherry Leigh who did stunts for a lot of B-flicks.

The story is very simple, an abandoned slaughterhouse is the ideal place to party for some youngsters but naturally it turns out awry. Not only that, the place is for sale but the owners don't want to sell it and are out for some revenge. The killings aren't gory but they do have some red stuff. But it's low on killings, only in the beginning and the end, in between it's blah blah. Easy to see it was low budget. Just have a look at the end, it stops with a freeze, up to you to guess what is going to happen. Some say it's a slasher, for me it isn't. It was clearly made out of that era and nothing is added to name it a slasher, no points of view or whatsoever.

Pure fun to watch if you can dig low budgets, otherwise leave it on the shelves.

Gore 1,5/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5

Pretty good...

Author: horrormb from plaistow, nh
14 February 1999

This film was good. That's really what I can say about it. Some of the parts (look for one part with a man being ground up, for instance) were a little over the top gory... but who doesn't like a little gross out, now and then? The acting wasn't anything to be raved upon but was good enough to be overlooked. Overall, this movie was really great to me (though, many others would disagree) so I'm giving it a 9 out of 10. WARNING : The beginning is NOT for the squeamish!

Bacon Bits

Author: drnrg31 from Mexico
23 August 2008

This was one of the better horror films of the late 80's, While almost every other horror flick was played mainly for laughs, this one broke away form the norm and actually injected a little gore and dementia to it's characters.

There are really a lot of cool aspects about the movie. Take for instance the female leads name; Lizzy Borden. Why anyone would name their child after an infamous murderer is beyond me. Especially since she is the daughter of the town's sheriff.

Another cool thing are the masks the two dumb boyfriends wear. I couldn't recognize the old man mask, but I'm sure it's been used in some other horror flick, but I definitely recognized the cobra mask from terror train.

The murders are also a bit gory for their time and not at all funny. In fact the movie its self ,which is categorized as Horror comedy; is really just good old early 80's horror. A little on the demented side when you compare it to classic like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but never over the top comedy like Return Of The Living Dead and such. There are funny parts, but totally unintentional.

The best part is the ending, I won't give it away, but it's a well known cliché in horror films.

Final Words: Good old 80's Horror, just done the right way.

Weak horror pic about a murderous fatso

Author: fertilecelluloid from Mountains of Madness
6 January 2006

Even when I first saw it years ago, I wasn't too impressed. Now that I've seen it again, I'm less impressed but more forgiving of its ineptness. Once again, it's another horror pic inspired by "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", but it doesn't understand why "Texas" was so effective. It substitutes Leatherface with Buddy (Joe B. Barton) a filthy fatso who runs a slaughterhouse and kills local interlopers. Despite a solid opening sequence, it is all over the place, and the scenes of violence have no quality control whatsoever. It's bloody, yes, but none of it is convincing, shocking or unnerving. If the film was half as good as what the poster art promised, I wouldn't be burying it with my literary shovel. I love horror, and I always want to love the next horror film I see, but a love of something doesn't imply you love all its children.

Horror for the mentally challenged.

Author: hohumdedum2 from United States
30 July 2004

***SPOILERS***

I should have known this one was going to be bad just by looking at the cover. It wants to be cool yet wants to be scary and fails miserably at both. It involves a group of local bureaucrats who are trying to foreclose on a pig slaughterhouse which used to be the bread and butter of the town. The owner doesn't appreciate it much so he gets his son who cannot talk other than making pig noises to off each of the fat cats one by one. This is a very lame attempt at a slasher film, and anyone looking for a scare or a good time should avoid "Slaugherhouse" like the plague, for it is horror for the mentally challenged. 0 out of 10.

Am I the only one who thinks that the secretary looks like Edith Bunker?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
31 October 2013

Typical '80s slasher flick, with some authority figures threatening to shut down a slaughterhouse and so the owner gets his pig-like son to kill anyone who trespasses. The scenes of the inner workings of the place bring to mind how factory farming has replaced these local institutions. Unlike most slashers of the era, "Slaughterhouse" contains no sex or nudity. One thing that caught my eye was that the sheriff's secretary was almost a dead ringer for Edith Bunker. I figure that Archie would say that people in slasher movies deserve what happens to them because they act like hippies.

Anyway, it's pretty fun to watch, just as long as you don't expect anything special.

Slaughterhouse is good gory fun!

Author: Prolox from Canada
19 December 2011

Distraught over the fact that he might lose his slaughterhouse factory & property to the townsfolk & turning down several offers to buy it, a former meat packer owner & his overweight, homicidal, outhouse sized, son Buddy, decide to to re-open their slaughterhouse & get the blades, meat cleavers & meat grinders working again, but this time, their not going to be using pigs & cows, but human meat! unless the town sheriff can stop their reign of terror. But when his daughter & her friends enter the slaughterhouse on a dare one stormy night, the stage is set for a grand scale massacre of, blood flowing, arm hacking, head crushing, ground up bodied, bonanza. SLAUGHTERHOUSE is a very rare horror film, that is pretty tough to find these days. Released by NEW WORLD VIDEO back in 1987, SLAUGHTERHOUSE was always a favourite of mine when I was a kid, it was pretty scary. I saw it a few times more over the years, but after 1997, I never did lay eyes on another copy again until just recently, when I stumbled upon an old VHS copy & let me just say, SLAUGHTERHOUSE is just as much fun to watch today, as it was back then. The acting is not to bad & is a cut above most horror film performances in other 80's horror items. I recognized a few familiar faces amongst the teen cast JANE HIGGENSON (SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 5: THE TOYMAKER) & the lead actress also starred in another favourite horror film of mine, the weird & scary, DEMON WIND. The direction as also pretty decent, with director RICK ROSSELER delivering plenty of good gory scenes in his script, tight pacing & a decent amount of suspense. SLAUGHTERHOUSE is pretty fun, but just like most directors who helmed a good or bad horror item back in the 1980's, he seemed to disappear from the scene & it's such a shame. After this film, he only had one other movie to his credit, where he served as a production assistant in 1992. I definitely think Rosseler could have made a name for himself in the indie horror scene had he done more & I definitely would have tried to follow his work within the genre. The film also pays tribute to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) with the slaughterhouse adorned with animal bones, skins & rotting animal carcases lying about. Sadly long forgotten in the horror community, SLAUGHTERHOUSE deserves a fairly decent DVD release full of extra's. It's head above most remembered horror films of that era & it's even more of a shame that we didn't get to see the further adventures of the villain Buddy in further sequels. As a franchise, SLAUGHTERHOUSE would have rocked. Highly recommended to horror fans, if they can find a copy, you won't be disappointed!

**** stars

Crappihouse!

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
9 June 2007

Not just your typical slasher flicks of the 1980s. No, this has something to say, and that is an anti-meat message. Saying people who kill animals for a living must be insane to begin with and that's just B.S. like the movie LARVA, SLAUGHTERHOUSE must have been written by a vegetarian or something. Second, why kill anyone who walks onto the property, that'll make it hard to sell pork, plus where was the sign warning people that "TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROCESSED INTO SAUSAGE." These are the questions that leave you scratching your head, wondering if you have a tumor or something for even wanting to watch it. Lastly, the climax or as I like to put it, THE OTHER SHOE ENDING. The last survivor escapes in the Deputy's car, kills Lester and just when you think it's safe, Buddy comes leaping out of the back seat and kills her. They don't show him killing her it freeze frames before that. But she's trapped behind the wheel of a car with that ax machete thing coming towards her so there is clearly no escape. THE NOOSE!