IMDb > Shu jian en chou lu (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Shu jian en chou lu More at IMDbPro »

Superb Chinese historical martial arts epic

Author: ale-dejong from Netherlands
9 August 2005

One of the (if not the) best Chinese martial art epics ever !! I saw this film and part 2 in one screening). That was about 18 years ago. I still remember it vividly. As i was heavily into martial arts myself back then . The film shows china in all its beauty. It is entirely shot on location . Something that was quite remarkable in those days before china became just another capitalist country. What i remember most clearly are a a scene on the ice. A big battle takes place on the ice and is like watching a ballet. I've seen dozens of martial arts flicks since but none comes close to this extravaganza of violence and beauty. To make a long story short; this is a must see for anyone into martial arts, Chinese history or the beauty of the Chinese landscape! So get going !! Git, go! Go en buy or rent it now! just do it .. it won't bite and you won't regret it! I promise!

The quintessential kung fu movie

Author: m_van_der_valk
19 June 2002

Depicts an uprising in Qing dynasty China (17/18th Century AD). Beautifully shot on location in China. Story, music, action are all excellent. If you see only 1 kung fu movie, go and see this one.