IMDb > Real Men (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Real Men

Real Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

You might not have a sense of humor if...

Author: kdjones-1 from Sacramento, CA
28 June 2002

... you didn't like this movie. I had the opportunity to watch this movie again (possibly my 20th time) this weekend and laughed all the way through it. The only reason why I'm leaving this comment is due to the overwhelming amount of negativity in many of the responses. Of course, "funny" is such a relative term and so interpretive that you cannot say this movie would appeal to everyone. If you fancy yourself a "sophisticated" person - you may not like it just on its lack of snob appeal alone. The only way to reference the humor in this movie is to compare it to other movies such as: "Used Cars" or "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". If you have seen these movies and NOT enjoyed them (even as a guilty pleasure)- please don't waste your time on "Real Men" - you simply don't have that sense of humor. - This movie is not Ben Hur - it exists to make you laugh - it's a comedy.

a wildly hilarious movie that you either get into or drop completely.

Author: dark one
26 January 2000

a movie like real men is for some people quite difficult to like. i suppose in that respect it falls in the same category as 'hudson hawk', another movie that is as much vilified by its opponents as it is praised by its fans. for me, real men was an utterly hilarious experience.

when i saw the movie, i never heard of it, and was therefore without any expectations about plot, people playing in it or general need for suspension of disbelief. this is perhaps the best way to view any movie, yet also harder and harder to achieve in this day and age of mass communication. i guess that it came upon me pretty quickly that nobody in this movie took themselves seriously, and even better, played their parts over the top and had so many completely unbelievable situations happening to them that i couldn't help but be entertained. in fact, i have this movie in my private video collection, and even show it from time to time to small groups of friends who invariably can't help but laugh their lungs empty. yes, this movie might not have eminently quotable lines, a brilliant script or a beeline to the oscars for best comedy, or even the most inspiring actors, but i've seen a lot of movies that label themselves comedies yet fail miserably where this movie succeeds brilliantly; it ends with me having a huge smile on my face. not only that, but any movie which has a clown squad of elite killers should be applauded for it's complete disregard of normal and sane everyday logic. if you can enjoy a good laugh and don't have too high standards of what should and should not happen in movies, this is definitely one to brighten up your afternoon.

Underrated

Author: pattersonsmith
24 July 2003

This has become well known from cable television. It didn't do anything in the theaters, but it is very funny. I don't know why this was not a hit. A wonderful spoof. I'm not a John Ritter fan, but he and Jim Belushi are really good together. Next time it pops up on cable check it out.

A harmless comedy that's truly funny

Author: ebert_jr from b'ville nj
19 May 2000

I really like this film. It has a simple charm to it that wins you over. I remember the night I watched it - pouring rain like crazy, feeling bummed, and then this came on tv. It picked me right up, out of my low spirits, and what would have been a boring evening at home turned into some real laughs. I haven't forgotten that, and I won't forget "real men". It's really a sweet, funny film.

Great film

Author: Daniel Keene (dr-loomis@rocketmail.com) from Spokane, WA
4 September 1998

Real Men is a great movie! It seems like nobody really likes it, but it's a cult classic to me and all of my friends. It is really a hilarious film because John Ritter is such a wimp and James Belushi is a pro CIA agent. John Ritter then gets self confidence when he is convinced that he won a back ally confrontation with renegade CIA agent clowns. People may find it unusual that this is one of my all time favorite films, but when people see it, they enjoy it just as much as I do. It's a very likeable film that nobody could hate. Check it out and see why.

One of the best GUY MOVIES ever!

Author: JAzar1015 from United States
21 January 2005

Very funny from beginning to end! I watch this movie over and over and enjoy it more every time. It's great to see the friendship and bonding develop between Belushi and Ritter as the movie progresses. And just when you think they have finally bonded, Ritter will make a run for it. and Belushi will convince him to stay. Some of the best scenes are when Ritter finally realizes his purpose, and the skills he has learned, and puts them to work, and when he finally realizes his mission and takes it seriously.

This movie is not only funny but also filled with lots of action.

Watch for the scenes with Belushi's "dad" and when Ritter clobbers the milkman.

Danny Likes it. Hey, Danny!

Author: Daniel Kelton (daniel.kelton@tais.com) from Orange County, California
18 November 1999

I'm a very picky movie-goer. But I consider this gem one of my all-time favorite comedies, a very short list that also includes "Raising Arizona," "A Fish Called Wanda," "Groundhog Day" and anything written by Albert Brooks. Although it can't fully compete with these outstanding comedies, it actually comes pretty close.

I generally reject movies with severe logic problems--even when they're comedies. And even though this picture had a big one (Jim Belushi and John Ritter spend most of the movie being chased by bad guys trying to get a map indicating where aliens will land, but when they arrive at the spot they find the bad guys already there waiting for them.) I didn't really care. Between the "clown attack," clever banter and the premise of aliens offering a formula to save the world in exchange for a glass of water, this movie delivers by continually taking the viewer in unexpected (and often ludicrous) directions.

Watch it with an open mind and few expectations (as I did the first time I happened to catch it on cable late one night) and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Grippingly funny movie. I put it in my top 10 movies!!

Author: redlover from Portland Oregon
24 August 2003

Putting these two together was genius! Belushi and Ritter complement each others personalities like Matthau and Lemmon...but funnier! The premise of this movie is quirky and original, all through the movie there is some unexpected surprise to throw you. I really could relate to Ritter's character and found myself cheering at the end! A least rent this movie if you haven't seen it, you WON'T be disappointed!

Funny in parts, but not strong enough to truly succeed

Author: Steve from Kailua Kona, HI
19 August 2002

"Who are these Clowns?" if you have seen the movie you will be amused by those 4 words. It has it moments but appears extremely dated by the made-for TV level of cinematography and terrible score.

Don't make a big thing out of it.

Author: CelluloidRehab (lelnu@yahoo.com) from Hell's Kitchen, NYC
12 January 2005

When a CIA agent is killed, Nick Pirandello (James Belushi) is sent in to save the world. Nick is an unorthodox, uncontrollable uber-spy with a sense of humor and some panache. Friday, 20:00, Washington D.C. is the rendezvous. The fate of the world revolves around that date and place. Nick is forced to recruit a timid insurance salesman look-alike, Bob Wilson (John Ritter) and drive cross country to the destination.

This is mostly a buddy picture, in which each of our protagonists learn something from the other and they bond. Nick becomes more sensitive and Bob becomes tougher.

This is not a great movie, but ever since I saw this movie on HBO during the 80's, its just stayed with me. Its fun and it moves quickly. This soundtrack is also pretty good (catchy). If you like movies like Shanghai Noon, Rush Hour 1 & 2 then you'll like this movie. It has a nice mix of action and comedy.

Some of my favorite scenes : Nick's Macguyver-like nail gun creation, his shoelace Tarzan impression and the bad clown attack. One of the most interesting aspects of this movie is that Ilsa, Shewolf of the SS, is Nick's dad.

-Celluloid Rehab